00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,120 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-13 00:14:17

Just watched Death Proof, fucking awesome film, though the first half hour is pretty boring.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-13 00:29:22

At 6/13/13 12:14 AM, Jackho wrote: Just watched Death Proof, fucking awesome film, though the first half hour is pretty boring.

I loved the ending.

But that girl they left with the guy in the barn is totally gonna be raped and killed. I guess they didn't think of that.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-13 09:59:11

At 6/13/13 12:29 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 6/13/13 12:14 AM, Jackho wrote: Just watched Death Proof, fucking awesome film, though the first half hour is pretty boring.
I loved the ending.

But that girl they left with the guy in the barn is totally gonna be raped and killed. I guess they didn't think of that.

Well they did wreck his dodge challenger, seems a fair trade.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-15 18:38:09

There are so many films out in the next month or so that I'm excited for.

A Field In England, Spike Island, The Art of Killing and The World's End, plus reissues of Akira, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, The End, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Gospel According to St. Matthew, both Dr. Who films and Aguirre, the Wrath of God.

I'm going to be at the cinema 3+ times a week.

Going to be awesome.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-16 09:39:50

Saw Hollow Man last night. It could have been a good slasher film but it takes far too long to get going for a mediocre payoff, and the last 15 minutes was the most bullshitty, horribly green screened hollywood ending of all time.

At 6/15/13 06:38 PM, TheMaster wrote: There are so many films out in the next month or so that I'm excited for.

Planning to see this is the end and maybe man of steel.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-16 20:42:12

So for some reason I had the urge to watch Mean Girls. It was actually a lot better than I remember. I think I like it.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-17 19:45:22

I just came back from Star Trek: Into Darkness. The first film I ever watched in IMAX 3D. I have to say that the IMAX really does feel like something worth paying a little extra for when seeing films like these. It definitely enhances the cinematic experience.

Anyway, I loved this film. I thought it was quite a bit better than the first film of the 2009 reboot. I agree with a comment I heard about the acting that the main cast seems to be a bit more comfortable in their roles. I also loved Benedict Cumberbatch as the bad guy. He has a great, deep voice and a threatening enough look to really make him appear like a dangerous opponent.

I think the writing of the film is also better. The 2009 film seemed to serve more as a character introduction, whereas this one really seemed to be a proper episode.

I know it's a bit early to call this, but I think this is going to be one of my favourite blockbusters of the year. It's definitely worth checking out, even if you're not a major Star Trek fan.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 02:42:12

The last movie I watched was Man of Steel.

It was pretty mediocre. It's hard to believe that Nolan was involved with this movie in any way. A lot of the dialogue was unbelievably trite, the movie fails at creating emotional resonance most of the time, and it's too unrestrained.

I knew I was trouble when near the start of the movie when we see Jor-El riding around on an Avatar dragon on Krypton, as things are exploding all over the place, while this really obnoxious, loud music blasts in your eardrums.

No subtlety at all.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 04:57:06

At 6/15/13 06:38 PM, TheMaster wrote: There are so many films out in the next month or so that I'm excited for.

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Holy shit a remake? I had no idea, this makes me extremely excited. The tale of Joan is inspiring and has always peaked my interest.

Also gonna check out World War Z, Redemption, (I'm a sucker for action flicks, especially Jason Statham) The Hunt, Pacific Rim, Hammer of the Gods, Turbo, The Wolverine, Apartment 1303, Elysium, Planes, Jug Face, 2 Guns, Paranoia, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, The World's End, Riddick, Machete Kills, Sin City 2, Carrie, Seventh Son, All is Lost, (HOLY FUCK ARE THEY REMAKING OLDBOY, just found this out) Gravity, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Anchorman 2, and 47 Ronin are all movies I intend to see in the near future. Probably many more, but these films are for sure and I'm expecting most of them to be average at best.

My main interests are action/sci-fi/horror/animated and sometimes drama. (although rarely romance and the story/setting has to be something fresh)

The rest of the year seems to have a few gems waiting, but nothing to get up from your chairs about. Perhaps 2014 will be more gracious to viewers.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 06:53:59

At 6/18/13 04:57 AM, Elixur wrote:

The Passion of Joan of Arc
Holy shit a remake? I had no idea, this makes me extremely excited. The tale of Joan is inspiring and has always peaked my interest.

No, just a reissue. As in, putting it back into cinemas.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 12:30:41

At 6/18/13 02:42 AM, Darthdenim wrote: No subtlety at all.

That's Zack Snyder for you I guess. The film seems to be getting good ratings otherwise, so I think I'll check it out soon.

While we're on the topic of what's coming out this Summer, I took a peak at the release schedule of my local cinema and it's not looking all that good. The only two films that I really want to see are World War Z and Le Passe (A.K.A. The Past). Other than those there's Kick-Ass 2, but I don't have such high expectations for that one to be honest.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 16:36:52

Last film I watched was The Thing.
Fucking brilliant all around.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 18:36:47

Just saw Man of Steel. Absolute rubbish. Soundtrack was awful, plot was barely there and there was far far too much cgi stuff being thrown at other stuff while things happen. I zoned out for about half of the mindless flying.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 18:39:01

At 6/18/13 06:36 PM, Jackho wrote: Just saw Man of Steel. Absolute rubbish. Soundtrack was awful, plot was barely there and there was far far too much cgi stuff being thrown at other stuff while things happen. I zoned out for about half of the mindless flying.

I didn't think it was that terrible. It was bad, but not as unwatchable as some of Snyder's other work.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 19:11:28

At 6/18/13 06:39 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 6/18/13 06:36 PM, Jackho wrote: Just saw Man of Steel. Absolute rubbish. Soundtrack was awful, plot was barely there and there was far far too much cgi stuff being thrown at other stuff while things happen. I zoned out for about half of the mindless flying.
I didn't think it was that terrible. It was bad, but not as unwatchable as some of Snyder's other work.

As pure spectacle, Man of Steel is a good movie to a point.

I just found the narrative too disjointed and unengaging to make me care. It's like watching somebody else play some kind of beat'em up game.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 19:30:57

I saw Man of Steel in 3d yesterday. It was pretty good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-18 20:28:03

At 6/18/13 07:11 PM, Darthdenim wrote: As pure spectacle, Man of Steel is a good movie to a point.

I disagree, the editing was pretty balls and most of the film is weightless overdone CGI.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-19 00:10:03

Now that I think about it, one of the things that really bugs me about Man of Steel is the plot device..no! I mean the macguffin...Doh! I mean the codex! Yes, the codex.

It seemed like such a lame way to tie everything together,

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-19 03:04:06

At 5/22/08 04:55 PM, Life-Stream wrote:
Some of my favourites in no particular order are;
Akira
Leon
Saving Private Ryan
A Clockwork Orange
Hot Fuzz
Inside Man
The Butterfly effect
Conan
Pretty much any Adam Sandler movie

Most of those movies are pretty awesome in my opinion too. If you liked Hot Fuzz, you should see Shaun of the Dead too, and maybe Paul (although the latter one is a little less, probably due to being directed by an American instead of Edgar Wright and his British sense of humour). As for Clockwork Orange, I'm about to watch it and I'm totally pumped. If it's actually as good as people say, I'm about to watch one of the greatest movies of all time. By the way, no matter which kind of movies you like, you should just go see Trainspotting. :D
Oh yeah: please, do yourself a favor and don't watch the latest Indie Jones movie, unless you want to see your childhood hero get turned into an alien hunter. *sigh* :(

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-19 13:41:35

At 6/19/13 12:10 AM, Darthdenim wrote: Now that I think about it, one of the things that really bugs me about Man of Steel is the plot device..no! I mean the macguffin...Doh! I mean the codex! Yes, the codex.

It seemed like such a lame way to tie everything together,

It also occurs to me that they never explained why the codex was a strange, alien looking skull.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-19 15:25:43

Anybody going to watch this bad boy when it comes out?

Cinema Club

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-22 18:47:42

I watched The Sixth Sense for the first time.

I went in without knowing the plot twist. All I knew was that there was a big plot twist at the end. However, I did manage to figure it out for myself halfway in or so. It's not all that complex. I guess it's something that simply has to click.

Anyway, regardless of whether you already know the twist or figure it out before the end of the film, it's still an enjoyable watch. It's well executed and manages to be thrilling from beginning to end. Sure, there was a jump scare here and there, but at least they weren't too loud and in-your-face. Haley Joel Osment is also fantastic. I've seldom seen a child actor that can carry a whole film (almost) on his own.

So I liked it and recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet (which aren't many I'm guessing). If you still haven't seen it, try going in without knowing anything at all about it. Avoid trailers, previews and synopses as well. I saw some previews for the film and they already gave away a bit too much in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-22 19:58:16

At 6/22/13 06:47 PM, Auz wrote: I went in without knowing the plot twist.

Cinema Club

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-22 20:46:52

At 6/22/13 08:44 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 6/22/13 07:58 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
If he didn't know, he didn't know. I don't think I knew the twist ending to the original Psycho the first time I saw it.

Find both of these facts incredible.

Both are so deeply ingrained in pop culture I don't know how you could avoid them. It's like going into The Empire Strikes Back unspoiled.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-22 20:49:35

At 6/22/13 08:44 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 6/22/13 07:58 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
If he didn't know, he didn't know. I don't think I knew the twist ending to the original Psycho the first time I saw it.

I'm just saying, how do you manage to avoid hearing about it after all these hears? It's probably second only to Vader being Luke's father. Auz got insanely lucky. Then again, he figured it out anyhow.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-23 08:16:32

It's likely that I've heard about the twist long ago, but simply forgot about it. I mean, the film was popular like more than 10 years ago and I haven't heard anyone talking about it ever since. Also, I have seen that (in)famous spoiler T-shirt, but I didn't know one of the spoilers was for The Sixth Sense. Frankly, I still don't know what films some of the other spoilers refer to either.

So honestly, when I went in I had no idea.

At 6/22/13 08:49 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm just saying, how do you manage to avoid hearing about it after all these hears? It's probably second only to Vader being Luke's father. Auz got insanely lucky. Then again, he figured it out anyhow.
I wonder if he figured it out during the "I see dead people" scene.

Yes, exactly at that point. Like I said, I knew there was going to be a major twist at the end, so I was constantly looking for clues as to what it could be.

SPOILER
Then the kid revealed that he saw dead people all the time and I realised all of sudden "Hey wait a minute, why does nobody else talk to Bruce Willis?".
END SPOILER

Then it all made sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-23 11:47:08

I also went into Sixth Sense without knowing the twist about a year ago, but guessed it as soon as we learn about the kid's power. It's really not that great of a twist anyway, the first scenes made it pretty obvious.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-23 17:06:16

Anyone seen world war z yet?

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-24 19:02:31

At 6/24/13 10:49 AM, Travis wrote: or the movie should have been longer.

What. I'd have cut about 60% of it. The entire opening was pointless because jor el just explains the entire thing again later on.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-24 20:13:22

At 6/24/13 07:02 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 6/24/13 10:49 AM, Travis wrote: or the movie should have been longer.
What. I'd have cut about 60% of it. The entire opening was pointless because jor el just explains the entire thing again later on.

I didn't mind the Krypton stuff. It was the last 40 minutes that were the real slog. Impossibly boring, lifeless action that just kept going and going forever.

BBS Signature