00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,420 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-19 19:13:21

I'd say that one of my favorite movies is "Elephant." Its a fictional story based off of the Columbine school shooting. Someone of youtube was nice enough to upload the whole movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr0mcWY0YBU

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-20 00:04:27

Today I watched The Princess Bride for the first time. I've seen some scenes, but never watched the whole thing before.

I greatly enjoyed it. I found Cary Elwes to be a much better actor when he's not trying to do an American accent. It was also cool to see Andre the Giant in it, but I had a little trouble understanding what he was saying sometimes.

It's plain to see that other comedic fantasy films, like Shrek, Enchanted, and Stardust all owe a debt to The Princess Bride.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-20 00:20:02

At 5/20/13 12:04 AM, Darthdenim wrote: Today I watched The Princess Bride for the first time. I've seen some scenes, but never watched the whole thing before.

love that movie. seen it many many times.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-20 05:52:03

Masturbated my way through Begotten. I'm strangely attracted to films of the taboo nature, any and all that make you feel uneasy.

Anyone know any films that give such a sensation?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-21 11:04:27

well sign me up, i love movies, some of my favs.

Yellow Submariene
The hangover
one flew over the cocos nest
the shining
Tommy
austin powers

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-21 22:16:03

I watched Skyfall. I was slightly disappointed. It wasn't bad, but I had high expectations and they weren't met. Javier Bardem didn't have nearly enough screen time, plus it took forever for him to show up. And with the length of the movie, they could have done a lot more.

And when the hell is Bond gonna get Mr. White?

At 5/20/13 05:52 AM, Elixur wrote: Masturbated my way through Begotten. I'm strangely attracted to films of the taboo nature, any and all that make you feel uneasy.

Anyone know any films that give such a sensation?

Tetsuo: the Iron Man
Eraserhead
Gozu
Irreversible
Audition

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-21 23:39:46

At 5/21/13 10:16 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Skyfall. I was slightly disappointed. It wasn't bad, but I had high expectations and they weren't met. Javier Bardem didn't have nearly enough screen time, plus it took forever for him to show up. And with the length of the movie, they could have done a lot more.

Even with Bardem's limited screentime, I still enjoyed him much more than the villains of the last two movies.

Le Chiffre was kind of boring in both the movie and the novel. He's just a glorified flunky.

Greene was even less memorable.

Mr. White was better than both of them.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-22 10:45:34

I went to see The Great Gatsby today.

I can imagine fans of the book will not enjoy this film all that much. Especially in the first half, the film is very heavy on style and visuals which kind of distracted a lot from the main plot. All those overblown effects and everything felt a bit unnecessary to me and why they shot this in 3D I honestly have no idea.

Furthermore, this film has got to have one of the worst soundtracks I've ever witnessed. Admittedly all this rap, hip hop and party music is not my taste at all so I may be a bit biased, but I found it totally unfitting and sometimes very offensive even with how loud and obnoxious it was.

On the positive side: I think Leonardo DiCaprio was a good cast for the role of Jay Gatsby. I know he's not the greatest actor out there, but he has the right amount of charisma and a youthful enough look to play this character convincingly. Also, I thought that shot where he first introduced himself to Nick was pretty awesome. Toby Maguire is also not a bad cast in my opinion, despite him not being such a fantastic actor either.

I think the film definitely got better at the second half. The visual effects show settled down a bit and the story moved more to the front. Personally, I liked that.

Lastly, despite the horrendously bad soundtrack and the unnecessary visual spectacle, I still appreciate how the makers at least don't go for another standard book adaptation. They try to add their own spin to it and I think the more blockbuster orientated cinema goers will actually like it more this way.

Overall it was 6.5-7 out of 10'ish for me. I would recommend it for people who want an appetiser for the blockbuster season. If you're not in for that then just stay home. You're not missing all that much.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-22 22:23:47

At 5/21/13 11:39 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 5/21/13 10:16 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Skyfall. I was slightly disappointed. It wasn't bad, but I had high expectations and they weren't met. Javier Bardem didn't have nearly enough screen time, plus it took forever for him to show up. And with the length of the movie, they could have done a lot more.

Even with Bardem's limited screentime, I still enjoyed him much more than the villains of the last two movies.

I guess, but to me, the movies themselves were great regardless of whether or not the villains were good. But knowing that Javier Bardem was going to be the villain, I was excited to see him and I had high expectations.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-23 15:47:08

At 5/21/13 11:04 AM, tadulicny12 wrote: well sign me up, i love movies, some of my favs.

Yellow Submariene
The hangover
one flew over the cocos nest
the shining
Tommy
austin powers

Sure, welcome. I loved One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest as well.

At 5/22/13 10:23 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 5/21/13 11:39 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Even with Bardem's limited screentime, I still enjoyed him much more than the villains of the last two movies.
I guess, but to me, the movies themselves were great regardless of whether or not the villains were good. But knowing that Javier Bardem was going to be the villain, I was excited to see him and I had high expectations.

He didn't disappoint me. In fact, I think he's one of my favourite Bond villains.

I agree, he could've gotten more screen time and it took forever before he showed up. But, the long wait only made his first appearance more thrilling in my opinion. The scene with the elevator coming down slowly after which he has his monologue about rats on an island was very well made.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-29 12:41:55

I went out to see Iron Man 3 today.

Quite an entertaining film overall. However, it's a good thing that it doesn't take itself too seriously because otherwise it would've been no more than a mediocre action flick. The plot was very unsatisfying to me and the main villain was pretty lame in my opinion.

Robert Downey Jr. was good though and I loved Ben Kingsley, but for the rest I think it's really just the CGI action that perhaps makes this film worth a watch. The first Iron Man is still the best one by far in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-01 01:12:39

Over the past week or so I've watched 4 new movies.

Blood Simple.

Amadeus.

The Hidden Fortress.

Dr Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-04 13:12:45

Not sure if you guys know about this, but if you don't I'm sure many of you will love it as much as I do.

http://letterboxd.com/

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-04 16:55:07

At 6/4/13 01:12 PM, Slint wrote: Not sure if you guys know about this, but if you don't I'm sure many of you will love it as much as I do.

http://letterboxd.com/

http://letterboxd.com/absurdditties/

Been using it a while.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-04 19:52:40

I watched this yesterday and am now rewatching it because it kicks ass. Am I the only one here who is really really really into martial arts action?

At 6/1/13 01:12 AM, Darthdenim wrote: Over the past week or so I've watched 4 new movies.

Blood Simple.

Amadeus.

The Hidden Fortress.

Dr Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

Good movies.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-04 19:58:20

I watched An Education tonight, one of the Best Picture nominees of 2009.

Not a bad film, but it does suffer a little bit from mediocre writing in my opinion. The plot felt very shallow to me and some of the dialogues seemed a bit awkward and forced. On the positive side, the acting was very good. I especially liked Carey Mulligan, who plays the lead.

All in all it's not bad, like I said, but I've definitely seen better films passing by in 2009.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-04 22:05:47

I just watched Dragon Eyes, starring Cung Le, which was awesome. It was odd seeing Van Damme in such a minor role, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-05 15:14:49

I watched Hard Revenge Milly last night.

All I can say is "lolwtf".

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-05 20:04:42

I saw a film today, oh boy.

The English army had just won the war.

A crowd of people turned away.

But I just had to look,

Having read the book.

it was alright

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-06 07:47:50

At 6/5/13 03:14 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Hard Revenge Milly last night.

Saw this recently when I came across it on youtube, "lolwtf" is definitely an accurate description. Going to watch the sequel some time.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-06 15:56:43

At 6/6/13 07:47 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 6/5/13 03:14 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Hard Revenge Milly last night.

Saw this recently when I came across it on youtube, "lolwtf" is definitely an accurate description. Going to watch the sequel some time.

I have the sequel, too, but haven't seen it yet. But yeah, I was actually laughing and saying "what the fuck?" while watching the movie and after it was over, I said to myself, "what the hell did I just watch?". Japan has a lot of that sort of thing.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-07 10:15:26

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Watched this the other day with a friend and felt like sitting down and explaining why I enjoyed it so much.

It can be seen as a poetic finale to Park's revenge trilogy. (previously I had only seen Oldboy) The film fuses the low-key style of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance with the jet-black humor of Oldboy while adding moments of sentiment and poignancy. This film isn't nearly as violent as the others and it doesn't need to be, although a lot of the mayhem takes place off screen.

Yeong-ae Lee delivers an magnificent performance as the troubled protagonist Geum-ja the ex-convict who is seeking equal amounts redemption and blood curdling revenge. I felt the supporting actors were universally fit for their role, it was Lee's performance that showcased the heart of the film.

The film itself is difficult to describe in words without revealing many pivotal plot points, since the most memorable scenes come out at revelatory moments in the story. Suffice to say that the climax blends tragedy and hilarity with a degree of success that few directors could hope to match.

The depth of feeling in the second half of the film is staggering and comes in stark contrast to the startling apathy of the first half. The masterful cinematography is something I've expected but his ability to compose the most evocative of tableaux never ceased to amaze me, with the final shot of the film being the catalyst.

This film shocks without ever descending into gratuity, while frequently forcing a guilty laugh with blacker than shadows humour. This film is (just like the other two) gorgeously made, with so many frames to showcase the brilliant film design. the use of colour and lighting is inspirational in some parts, truly effecting me as a viewer. The characters are also fleshed out enough that we (the viewers) get to know them, but not enough to know them completely. The past is hidden for some of these characters and in some ways proves itself as a thematic point in the film.

This film is truly about redemption and isn't afraid to masquerade it's brilliant showstopping movie drama, to the point to where maybe we even come to learn something about ourselves. This films entirely encases a fitting end to the three film exploration into hate, remorse and revenge.

Highly recommend to anyone reading.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-07 16:47:36

Yep, Lady Vengeance was good.

Speaking of which...

Cinema Club

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-07 17:25:06

I watched Star Trek for the first time (the 2009 reboot).

This is the first time I ever watched something from the Star Trek franchise, so I'm completely new to it. Looking at the film from that perspective, I think it did very well to introduce new people to the franchise. It takes it time to establish the characters and familiarise the audience with them, which is good in my opinion.

I'm guessing some old fans of the series might criticize the film for taking too much time to introduce the cast and not taking enough time to tell a good story, but well... that's the trade-off they had to make I suppose.

By the way, I loved Simon Pegg. I don't know what it is, but there's just something very likeable about him.

Anyway, I'll be checking out Into Darkness soon. Trailer looked awesome.

At 6/7/13 10:15 AM, Elixur wrote: Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

I should check this film out sometime. Oldboy is one of my favourite films and I liked Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance as well. I also loved Chan-wook Park's latest film, Stoker.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-07 18:10:05

I never liked Star Trek. I remember my dad watching TNG all the time when I was a kid and it would put me to sleep. The new movies look decent, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-08 20:13:23

So I just watched The Purge. I thought it was okay, the end.

Any thoughts?

In retrospect it seems the purge would cause more problems than it would solve. Basically everyone would just be insane and we would have a bunch of miserable drunks that can't handle the fact they kill people or a bunch of trigger happy Max Payne's. The world would be a fucking nightmare.

Which leads to my next thought, if the purge was a thing do you think people would actually do it? Would you participate in the purge?

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-08 23:06:17

At 6/8/13 08:13 PM, sweet21 wrote: So I just watched The Purge. I thought it was okay, the end.

Any thoughts?

I don't know why people would be trying to kill the poor and unemployed, like the government wants them to.

I think most people would just go on looting sprees.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-08 23:07:34

I've watched these recently.

The Searchers.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Casablanca.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-12 18:30:43

I went to check out Trance today, Danny Boyle's latest crime thriller.

Good film in my opinion. In fact, I think it's amongst the best ones I've seen so far this year. It's thrilling, it's interesting, I loved the touches of surrealism and it really felt like I was watching something I hadn't quite seen before.

The plot does get a little confusing through the second half, but the film does spell everything out almost literally at the end. On one hand that's a bit of a shame, but on the other hand it felt necessary because the plot was starting to get a bit fuzzy. I can imagine some viewers might dislike the film for doing that though.

Anyway, I recommend this film. I think it's one of the few worthwhile films that came out recently.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-06-12 19:14:27

^ Rosario Dawson naked.

I watched Missing in Action, under the misconception that it was an action movie. It was not an action movie, and it sucked.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature