00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Bandwidth Upgrade

6,316 Views | 38 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 10:06:21

Everyone keep your fingers crossed... Our hosting facility is behind with setting up a cross-connect for the new bandwidth line, but if they get everything in place this morning, the bandwidth provider will be turning on the juice for our new bandwidth line. Lets all hope it really does happen today!!!

Just a little background on our bandwidth... We are currently using two individual 100mbps lines of bandwidth. Our servers are basically split down the middle to use them evenly, because the provider does not allow you to "merge" the lines so-to-speak.

Our new line however is a total service upgrade - we have a single 1,000 mbps fiber line, throttled to 300mbps. Because it is a single line, it is much easier for us to keep a clean, organized setup with our hardware, which is a nice bonus. The really nice part is that future bandwidth upgrades will no longer be a massive headache. We can easily upgrade and downgrade our bandwidth on a month-to-month basis. For example, when heavy traffic hits us in December, we might opt to pay for an additional 100mbps - bringing our total to 400mbps (twice as much bandwidth as we have currently) for that month.

As long as advertising can support it, we shouldn't have any more problems scaling our bandwidth up and down! Now if only I could say the same about our hardware...

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 10:08:50

This has been suggested on the BBS a couple of times already, but would it be possible to get a page showing bandwidth use in the past 24 hours or so? It would be a neat little thing to put in the secrets or something. Good news about the bandwidth upgrade anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 10:12:35

Happy days are here again, good stuff lads im proud of you, lol. The bandwidth can be a problem for you guys i guess but now you can choose if you want more or less when you want so its all good. Maybe you'll get better hardware from santa at christmas.

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 10:17:01

At 9/30/03 10:06 AM, TomFulp wrote: Everyone keep your fingers crossed... Our hosting facility is behind with setting up a cross-connect for the new bandwidth line, but if they get everything in place this morning, the bandwidth provider will be turning on the juice for our new bandwidth line. Lets all hope it really does happen today!!!

Hooray!

However, I'm saving the REAL personal celebration for when the new DB server is up, running, and fully handling the database hits. #;-}>

As long as advertising can support it, we shouldn't have any more problems scaling our bandwidth up and down! Now if only I could say the same about our hardware...

yeah, exactly. heh. Please let us know when the DB server is in place, and when those new webservers come in. Excitement will prevail, mark my words!

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 10:32:25

I agree with fatboy_, wouldn't it be a great addition for the secrets? a nice little thingy :)

Good job with the new bandwith, it already worked quite good for me, it must work perfect now

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 11:04:06

At 9/30/03 10:08 AM, Fatboy_ wrote: This has been suggested on the BBS a couple of times already, but would it be possible to get a page showing bandwidth use in the past 24 hours or so?

but how much bandwith would that use?

Bandwidth Upgrade

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 11:05:10

At 9/30/03 11:04 AM, MagicalMusical___ wrote:
At 9/30/03 10:08 AM, Fatboy_ wrote: This has been suggested on the BBS a couple of times already, but would it be possible to get a page showing bandwidth use in the past 24 hours or so?
but how much bandwith would that use?

I don't thnik it would be such a big problem....maybe Tom tells us that

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 11:23:04

Of course that wouldn't be a bandwidth problem, not with all the new bandwidth :)

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 11:51:14

Well good too hear it. I hope for you that you don't have too upgrade again for a while afther this =)

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 12:02:02

Wonderful. I hate it when my connection is faster than NG can handle.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 12:02:44

w00t! w00t!

I keep my fingers crossed.

another bandwidth boost... sweet!

Bandwidth Upgrade

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 12:23:57

Wow, that is pretty cool, being able to scale your bandwidth accordingly. I imagine that will help you guys immensely. Always great to see NG grow.

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 12:28:44

You see new grounds has a very powerful server. Much more powerful than I have encountered for almost anything and everything. It clearly still isnt enough to please the users here who are hungry for insane games and cartoons etc etc.
300mbps sounds like a tasty bandwidth, with something of that capacity people should be more than impressed at the improvement of things. I myself think your site runs smoothly as it is, good things come to those who wait right? 400 would be a grand improvement. Extremly powerful it will bring more members meaning more money for new grounds? Sounds good, I'm sure you have run every idea past each other (those of you that own and run this beautiful creation) about how to keep files well organised for maximum speed of dlds etc, but there might be something you havent tried. What you could do is create a compressor for your users? Something that they can dld and trust (as its from new grounds and not some cheesy advert on a cheap site) that will speed up their internet? Ofcourse it requires abit of optimization from the user themselves but I'm sure with an easy read-me file they wont have any trouble right? Its just a suggestion but I think maybe people will be impressed with you at new grounds if you did this for them as well as the other wonders you manage to pull here!

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 12:36:08

Oh and one more thing, congratulations on the upgrade. Its gonna be great ~thumbs up to Tom~

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 13:09:06

Good, it's a good thing to know!

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 13:19:40

At 9/30/03 10:08 AM, Fatboy_ wrote: [bandwidth page]

I agree, this would be a nice new addition to the site. It'd dovetail nicely with the introduction of the new servers and increased bandwidth.

Could we get some of your thoughts about it, Tom, Wade, or Jim?

Still think it'd make for a nifty high-level secret, but most would probably prefer it be something that all account-weilding users can access.
-- Scaper-X

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 14:54:02

I'm not saying anyone here is one, but i'm not a fairweather NG fan. If the site goes down i don't renounce NG. If this works or not, its all the same to me. However, if the site PERMANENTLY went down, maybe then i would take NG off my favorites list... hahah. Like THAT will hapen.... ... ... >_> <_<

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 15:08:20

At 9/30/03 02:54 PM, Magna wrote: I'm not saying anyone here is one, but i'm not a fairweather NG fan. If the site goes down i don't renounce NG. If this works or not, its all the same to me. However, if the site PERMANENTLY went down, maybe then i would take NG off my favorites list... hahah. Like THAT will hapen.... ... ... >_> <_<

I don't know what you mean by "fairweather NG fan" but I think everyone would rather the site not be down anytime. But even with the occasional downtime I still like the site, just that during this time period, it's frustrating how I can't get blam/protect points. Still, even on Friday's downtime, I still was able to get some points.

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 15:14:45

Dear Mr Fulp,
I have a question about this bandwidth business. I don't know much about computer lingo and stuff, so what does this bandwidth thingy do? Will it make NG faster?

Thanks for clearing this up.
-Chris

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 15:19:40

yay more banwith thats great

Bandwidth Upgrade

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 15:45:10

today? as long as the site doesn't go down for too long, i'm happy
more power to thah users!

=D

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 15:52:57

Nice More bandwidth Is always good.

Cant wait for the upgrade :)

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 16:08:41

Sounds great hopefully there will be no more problems

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 16:36:16

That is great news Tom! Keep up your good work!

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 16:56:09

W00T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 18:39:42

At 9/30/03 10:06 AM, TomFulp wrote: Everyone keep your fingers crossed... Our hosting facility is behind with setting up a cross-connect for the new bandwidth line,

Oh boy, More bandwidth!!

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 19:16:11

At 9/30/03 10:06 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Our new line however is a total service upgrade - we have a single 1,000 mbps fiber line

light travels at 183,000 miles per second so that why it is so fast (not that any one cares)

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 21:38:05

Tom, I have to say, you're one of the few people I have respect for.

I know it's been said before, but getting NG from what it was at the start to what it is now is truly fucking amazing.

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 21:59:25

if you want to stop complaining about your hardware, then simply switch to the apple Xserve, its cheaper, faster, and more reliable than a win server

not to mention that its smaller than any wintel server

it will support your gigawire connection no problem, plus you wont hae to worry about the next blaster worm, as it is a BSD unix system, making it an excellent upgrade

just some thoughts

Response to Bandwidth Upgrade 2003-09-30 22:05:02

At 9/30/03 09:59 PM, randompro42 wrote: if you want to stop complaining about your hardware,

Who's complaining?

then simply switch to the apple Xserve, its cheaper, faster, and more reliable than a win server

Newgrounds doesn't run on Windows systems.

it will support your gigawire connection no problem, plus you wont hae to worry about the next blaster worm, as it is a BSD unix system, making it an excellent upgrade

We didn't have to worry about that worm in the first place.