00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

3D Modelling... the traditional way

1,212 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I recently got tired of digital art, so I decided to get myself some wires, tin-foil, acryl colors and Super Sculpey. As first try I decided to make one of the bunnies of my game MindScape. I was afraid of it ending up as a piece of... clay... but I'm actually happy with how it turned out. The proportions may not be 100% true to the original and the paintjob may not be perfect, but I'm still proud of my little baby.
Hopefully I'll find the time to start on another figurine soon.

Anyways, here it is, rendered using my bare hands, sculpting sticks and Super Sculpey, textured using acryl paint. Tell me what you think or post your own work if you've tried traditional sculpting / modelling yourself :)

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-08 08:11:43

That sculpture is made of win.

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-08 13:35:00

looks really good, nice work

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-08 15:33:17

Thanks to both of you!

Can't wait to see your finished MindChamber, MindChamber. I love how you involve non-clay parts, very inspiring.

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-08 16:15:38

I like it. If you made the detailed paint (eyes, mouth) it would look terrific. It is still fantastic though.

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

BBS Signature

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-09 09:00:51

Anyways, here it is, rendered using my bare hands, sculpting sticks and Super Sculpey, textured using acryl paint. Tell me what you think or post your own work if you've tried traditional sculpting / modelling yourself :)

looks rough; but form is good.
At least I know that you do it better than me, for now.

gah, gotta do sculptin' now!

my furry stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-09 12:59:54

That is a suave job my friend. I think it looks good. I haven't messed with anything clay like in a year or so. I think its about time I started up again. Maybe my stuff will turn out as good as yours did.

Moar MOAR! lol

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-09 13:03:00

I like its little belly!

BBS Signature

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-09 14:52:57

Ahh its kinda cute. Great work.

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-09 15:16:30

It's great but the arms are too big, but that should be easy to fix.

BBS Signature

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-09 17:22:27

At 4/9/08 09:00 AM, Havayosunu wrote: looks rough; but form is good.

It's rather hard to get a really smooth surface, but then again I might not have found the best way to do this yet.

At 4/9/08 03:16 PM, Saint-Jesus wrote: It's great but the arms are too big, but that should be easy to fix.

Yeah, that's one thing that bothers me about the proportions. But it's already cured and painted, so unfortunately it's too late to fix anything. However it's never too late to learn ;)

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-09 17:36:43

It is precious !

Always friendly - it is Dei

MSN: shinukotodei@hotmail.com

BBS Signature

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-10 13:12:02

Looks pretty good, but the paint job is a the weak point here. It could be a bit smoother and the tongue, in particular, seems quite poor, which is a shame since the bunny is obviously pretty well made!

Fun: THAT IS THE BENEFIT OF DIPLOMATIC IMUNITY!

To think about the world, click cat.

BBS Signature

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-10 17:05:47

At 4/8/08 07:31 AM, HeRetiK wrote: Anyways, here it is, rendered using my bare hands, sculpting sticks and Super Sculpey, textured using acryl paint. Tell me what you think or post your own work if you've tried traditional sculpting / modelling yourself :)

Quite awesome that your broadening your horizon, Heretik. I have to a agree with Vert on his points, and implore you to do more of these! ;-) The character of this piece just screams out insanity and I could see why your proud of your work It looks like your using a looped copper wire as a base? Something tells me that was the final touch! "I'm a battery!!"

NG Review Moderator // Report Today!

BBS Signature

Response to 3D Modelling... the traditional way 2008-04-10 18:31:01

At 4/10/08 05:05 PM, BR wrote: Quite awesome that your broadening your horizon, Heretik. I have to a agree with Vert on his points, and implore you to do more of these! ;-) The character of this piece just screams out insanity and I could see why your proud of your work It looks like your using a looped copper wire as a base? Something tells me that was the final touch! "I'm a battery!!"

I'm not good with paint, but yes, I guess I'm also guilty of getting lazy towards the end. (njeehhh)
For the base I've build an armature with wires and wrapped it in tin foil for volume. I've documented the whole process here :)

Here's a pic of the armatur, without the tin foil.