00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Share your secret?

1,012 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Share your secret? 2008-04-07 23:03:51

How do you make/come up with your melodies?

I play mine on my keyboard first, then i just keep adding notes and tweaks, and thats about it.

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-07 23:46:52

I either sort of get one going in my head, hum it out loud etc and try to replicate it ... Or I just start playing different combinations and then go from there.

BBS Signature

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-08 00:49:06

If I told you then it wouldn't be a secret anymore now would it?

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-08 06:45:13

I could just play a little with the program and see if anything good comes up. I could make a basic melody at first, but later try to add something different to it. When i record guitar's i just let the comp guitar and bass play the basic chord progressions and i try to improvise and come up with a good melody. Sometimes it may take a long time to do that. But when im finished i see if i can add some harmonies here and there.

Yupp

-Kim

A LIST of every song we uploaded and a small description followed.

Newest song HERE

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-08 09:42:53

Honestly, I'll think about what my song represents (sad theme, kick-you-in-your-face theme) and I just think. I'll close my eyes and place one hand on my keyboard beside me and hit the keys I envision in my head.

It's worked pretty well so far. I think I've got some pretty solid melodies.

BBS Signature

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-08 10:00:04

Well, I don't make my muic with loops or anything. I don't use preset audios and shit, I do it the old fashioned way. I play guitar about 9 or ten hours a day, and in that time I'm mostly just dinking around on it. Sometimes I'll find two chords that go together really well, or I try playing a chord a different way than I normally would, or if I'm improvising a solo, I'll go from one note, and then try to go to a note I normally wouldn't go to. That's how most of my riffs are written, basically just doing something different. Then, when I write lyrics to it, I just sing it however it comes out.

It never got weird enough for me - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

The 5-Hour Collab

BBS Signature

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-08 11:01:42

Root beer.... that's the key.

Trust me...

You have to pick a good brand though, otherwise your music might come out sounding like Justice (ooooh, mega-burn from the Gill).

BBS Signature

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-08 15:48:56

I make my best songs In times of emotion, My piano Is my vent, so thats where he good stuff comes from. But for when I'm ochrestrating on the keyboard, It all comes down to the chord variations, Take a block chord, break it, and mix the notes, change chords, repeat. Theres your melody. After that the other instruments follow suit. Now that I have a basis on my chords I Can just feel where the song goes. I'll give it a few attempts and when I feel it's right, I keep it. the only thing I've never gotten down Is mixing the drums properly...it's not exactly a note...just a beat.

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-08 16:05:03

I usually like to create a chord of 3-6 notes, then work with those notes at first to create a catchy melody.

After that it's all trial and error

I'm back!

Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Response to Share your secret? 2008-04-08 16:06:25

YOu know I don't think there is a set way to do it. I do it by feel somtimes it works somtimes it doesn't!

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Zero Level

BBS Signature