00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Game You're Currently Playing

353,382 Views | 5,147 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-28 01:14:36

Currently playing the entire Half-Life series, from the original 1998 game to Episode 2; taking advantage of the free-ness of the Half-Life series at the moment. I'm about to start Half-Life 2, and I'm just gonna say this for the original GoldSrc trilogy:

Half-Life: 7/10

Opposing Force: 8/10

Blue Shift: 7/10

:^)

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-28 18:40:51

At 1/27/20 11:42 PM, Chdonga wrote: I beat the Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC in one sitting. I was left super underwhelmed but it put me on a PS2 JRPG kick. I decided to start off with Rogue Galaxy, a game that fucked my shit in back in 09-ish. I have memories of random encounters hitting you like a ton of bricks and a disproportionately large amount of treasure chests being mimics. I've been powerleveling, overstocking on health potions and revives, and I play as evasively in combat as possible. But whenever I spot a chest I hold off on opening it until I've activated a nearby savepoint, because the mimics in this game are just brutal.
So far I haven't encountered a single one and I'm starting to think my memories of there being a 2:1 mimic to actual treasure chest ratio might've just been from me needing to redo huge lengths of dungeons because I got wiped by the same mimic multiple times over.
Aside from the unfun difficulty it's got great music and atmosphere. The dungeons are really modular and generic looking but it's more or less what I'd expect from a mid 00s PS2 game. I get a chuckle out of the prerendered FMV cutscenes that could be rendered on modern consoles in real-time.

I hated this game as a kid but I'm warming up to it now. In a few weeks I'll either be ranting about it or singing its praises.

Mimic tip: use your gun. Do not engage mimics up close and quickly back away when a chest transforms. (if I remember correctly) Got to get back to this game at some point. I was at the city/prison when I put it down last.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-28 20:47:37

Have a few Switch games I really need to catch up on.

Astral Chain (post-game)

Luigi's Mansion 3

Digimon Story

Dragon Quest 11

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (most importantly)

Speaking of, playing Blue Lions story and looking for at least four recruits from the Golden Deer. Leonie for sure, so at least three more. I may get Lysethia and Lorenz in Black Eagles and Hilda in the church route. Already have 4-5 I'm eyeing from the Eagles.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-29 06:26:08

At 1/28/20 06:40 PM, NearSightedCyclops wrote: Mimic tip: use your gun. Do not engage mimics up close and quickly back away when a chest transforms. (if I remember correctly) Got to get back to this game at some point. I was at the city/prison when I put it down last.

It turns out that I wasn't misremembering there being a TON of mimics everywhere. I just got through the jungle dungeon abd encountered four. At least one for every two or three actual chests. I took them out by using the gun that makes a platform appear over their head then I was able to easily damage them by jumping on their heads. It's bad enough that they can knock your party out with one lucky swing, but they also give next to nothing for EXP and you can't run away from them. Another thing that bugs me is I unlocked some super move called the Burning Strike and I can't even use it on bosses.

The prison dungeon is actually where I put it down too. I'm coming up to that spot soon and I am pretty nervous about fighting the prison warden (I think?). But it's worth mentioning that I didn't use the skill tree or item synthesis in my first playthrough.

As much as I'm enjoying it now that I've figured out what all the tools actually do, the difficulty is still undeniably cheap at times.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-29 11:36:22

Currently playing though the Resident Evil 1 remake. (Which is my first RE game.) I finished it a couple days ago, and now I can’t wait to play RE2 (original.) because I love the gameplay, and story!

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-29 12:53:38

At 1/29/20 11:36 AM, TerrorByte wrote: Currently playing though the Resident Evil 1 remake. (Which is my first RE game.) I finished it a couple days ago, and now I can’t wait to play RE2 (original.) because I love the gameplay, and story!

Resident Evil 1996 is my all time favourite game but I'd recommend jumping into the RE2 remake instead of the original if that's at all on the table.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-29 12:55:36

At 1/29/20 12:53 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 1/29/20 11:36 AM, TerrorByte wrote: Currently playing though the Resident Evil 1 remake. (Which is my first RE game.) I finished it a couple days ago, and now I can’t wait to play RE2 (original.) because I love the gameplay, and story!
Resident Evil 1996 is my all time favourite game but I'd recommend jumping into the RE2 remake instead of the original if that's at all on the table.

I played RE1 on the Switch, and the RE2 remake is not on the Eshop, maybe I’ll get it on Steam.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-29 13:40:01

At 1/29/20 12:55 PM, TerrorByte wrote:
I played RE1 on the Switch, and the RE2 remake is not on the Eshop, maybe I’ll get it on Steam.

OG RE2 is hardly on the Switch is it? PC is probably the way to go. I've played virtually all of the RE games and the original RE2 wouldn't rank very high on my list, it would almost definitely feel like a big step down after the RE1 remake.

But the RE2 remake is a different beast and might be the best game of the series, it still felt new and threatening even to someone who's played the rest and knows the map from the original version.

Leon Hardcore is my recommended mode, though I won't blame you if you give up and switch to normal (Claire has a completely different set of weapons that, imo, are way overpowered and erase most of the difficulty).

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-29 17:25:41

At 1/29/20 01:40 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 1/29/20 12:55 PM, TerrorByte wrote:
OG RE2 is hardly on the Switch is it? PC is probably the way to go. I've played virtually all of the RE games and the original RE2 wouldn't rank very high on my list, it would almost definitely feel like a big step down after the RE1 remake.

But the RE2 remake is a different beast and might be the best game of the series, it still felt new and threatening even to someone who's played the rest and knows the map from the original version.

Leon Hardcore is my recommended mode, though I won't blame you if you give up and switch to normal (Claire has a completely different set of weapons that, imo, are way overpowered and erase most of the difficulty).

I love RE1’s gameplay, if feels so unique, compared to some other games that I have played. That’s why I want to play the original first, to experience how it once was. You just don’t really see games like that anymore. But that could just be me. (I still might try out the RE2 remake.) :)

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-29 18:58:49

At 1/29/20 05:25 PM, TerrorByte wrote: I love RE1’s gameplay, if feels so unique, compared to some other games that I have played. That’s why I want to play the original first, to experience how it once was. You just don’t really see games like that anymore. But that could just be me. (I still might try out the RE2 remake.) :)

It's a series and a genre I've exhaustively explored, so I understand the gameplay appeal. Do whatever, just personally the RE2 remake was some next level shit and may be my favourite game of this generation, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I've always preferred the original RE1 over its remake though. To me the cheese is a big part of why I like RE1 so much, it's a shitty American horror film told from the perspective of 90s japanese game devs, it's such a unique cross-cultural artefact and that's something the remake misses. I also just find it more fast paced and fun to play, the remake is slightly bogged down with the corpse burning and extra keys.

You might have to temper your expectations for the other PS1 games. This isn't a common opinion but 2 and 3 always seemed rushed and unpolished compared to the first game, to me, and they're much more action-oriented. As much as I do love them I don't think they've aged as well either. Don't miss Code Veronica as well, it's the 'real' RE3 (Nemesis was developed as a spin off, it was Sony's decision to make it a numbered title), the plot is ridiculous but it's a refinement of the same gameplay.

Check out the original Alone in the Dark too (it's on GOG) if you want to go farther back in the survival horror timeline, it's an ultra janky and very early 3D game but RE1's gameplay is a straight rip of it with some streamlining, and AotD is such an onslaught of ideas compressed into a short game. There's no main generic enemy for eg, each room throws something completely new at you.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-01-30 12:58:29

Currently playing through Hollow Knight.

Gem of a game, I’ll often get stuck on an area, but after putting it down for a day and then playing again, I figure out what to do.

Easily one of the best Metroidvanias.

When I don’t have time for that, I’ll often play a quick round of Spelunky or Enter the Gungeon.

Peace out.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-01 21:15:06

Minecraft, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Been around since 2004. (as a lurker that is!)

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-02 10:00:46

I just finished up my 100% run of Yoshi's Crafted World. I'd say it matches the original in terms of level design, and improves on the controls. Visually the game is fucking stunning, and has the art style of childlike dioramas works so well with the gameplay. Fantastic stuff. Only issues are that it can feel a little repetitive at times, the music is kinda bad, and the true final boss, while it starts good, quickly drops in quality. Overall, class, 40 hours of good shit.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-11 09:28:32

I'm currently playing 1942 on Mame 32, it's a totally different beast in comparison of it's Nes counterpart. Also watching a playthrough of Children of Morta on the side

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-12 20:50:00

Quake Champions

Been around since 2004. (as a lurker that is!)

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-15 09:37:52

Currently enjoying Foundation

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-15 09:39:29

At 2/15/20 09:37 AM, Little-Rena wrote: Currently enjoying Foundation

Was hoping for something based on the Asimov novel.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-15 12:12:24

Playing Final Fantasy X HD Remaster.

Time to see what's with all the hype about this game.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-15 22:47:38

Right now Im playing Postal 2.

I believe in nothing.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-17 20:25:44

All of the Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy and Tales of Vesperia.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-18 11:41:23

I just got Nights Into Dreams and its fucking great. Really smooth controls, fantastic music, super replayable from the looks of things, great level design, and a crazy aesthetic. It's mad I love it. It took me 3 tries to beat the first level, called The IDEAL I think? I'm really fucking bad at it but its so much fun.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-19 20:51:57

I went back to RE: Code Veronica X, but this time, it was the HD version on the PS3. Got 100% of the trophies, shame about the lack of a platinum, though. Playing it at 60hz felt wonderful, the gameplay is so much smoother and responsive; the difference between the HD and PS2 Classics version on PS4 is clear as day.

I've been slowly making my way through Persona 5 as well, just started to investigate the 5th palace. Really looking forward to the Royal version that's due out soon, although I won't be buying it for a while as I've just bought the Yakuza Remastered Collection, not to mention that Nioh 2 and Resident Evil 3 Remake are just around the corner, too.

PSN ID + Xbox Live GT : ShadowWestNG | Steam : ShadowWest | Sig made by: ParadoxVoid <3

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-20 01:30:44

Replaying Mount & Blade : Warband for the 2197967210 times because why not (Currently hyped for incoming Bannerlord in March)

Music producer / composer / podcast editor for hire!

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-22 12:49:48

Took a break from Rogue Galaxy to mess with Dreams. It's a fantastic game creation tool for PS4. It's not the most accessible but it's still easier to get into than straight coding. The gyroscope for cursor movement is super intuitive and has even of turned me off from mouse aiming. /v/ has been throwing a tantrum about this game because you can't monetize your creations and it's never coming out on PC or Switch so you know it's good. It's got a short & sweet 2 hour campaign that I think everybody should check out. It's more of a movie than a game, but that's not necessarily a bad thing considering what you're capable of doing in Dreams.

After I beating the Dreams campaign I went back to Rogue Galaxy because I have more than enough projects on my backburner as is. I completed a dungeon and unlocked a really convoluted item synthesis factory. You have to build an assembly line where the necessary materials will be disassembled, re-assembled, then placed on a completion table.

Unlike the synthesis cauldron you unlock in the jungle, whenever you synthesize something in the factory you don't actually get it. Instead it'll become available for purchase somewhere at a later point in the future. The synthesis factory gives you a tutorial but it doesn't explain anything in detail, so my first few attempts at synthesizing an item ended in failure.

The failure screen is the giant words ERROR followed by a textbox that doesn't explain very well what went wrong in the process so at first I thought factory synthesis was RNG with an absurdly high rate of failure. It turned out the blueprints they give you are actually wrong and you're expected to swap certain parts out for the right ones. Bear in mind they don't specify this in the tutorial. Also annoying is you can't multiply the amount of required materials to speed up the synthesis process or lower the cost when it's finally available in a shop. I spent about an hour trying to craft one item and the fact that the process doesn't end in the item appearing immediately in your inventory makes it feel like I didn't actually do anything for that hour.

I looked at a recipe list and aside from a few high level weapons you only use it to craft more synthesis material so I'm never touching that shit again. It's all more trouble than it's worth. There's also a bug catching minigame with rare items and weapons being the reward. I haven't even touched that one because it's apparently a huge RNG timesink too.

Rogue Galaxy is a really fascinating game, but the side-content does not have any respect for your time.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-22 17:42:58

My friend got me into CS GO and skin gambling

Notorious internet cunt

My old username was StaticSkull

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-25 14:39:51

Currently playing through Wolfenstein 3D (along with its expansion/prequel Spear of Destiny). It's great nazi-blasting fun and surprisingly tense for the time of release, what with the mazelike level designs and highly damaging enemies potentially around any corner. Hasn't aged as gracefully as the classic Doom games but I've still found it very enjoyable, and it holds up decently as the grandfather of FPS games.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-25 22:33:09

Ever Oasis, currently. I can't believe I missed out on it!

I need a tanning bed, a 3D life to keep me from the cold.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-26 09:32:40

I’m currently playing Dreams for PS4.

iu_96660_3806016.jpg

Its a very creative and interesting new game-creation “game” from the people behind Little Big Planet. I haven’t gone into the game-creation aspect yet but a lot of the user-created games are really well made and fun.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-26 18:07:00

Been on a bit of a Persona 5 binge over the past few days. Without spoiling things for anyone, I've made it to December in preparation for a palace infiltration. Feels like I'm getting very close to the end. Very enjoyable game overall, definitely one of the best I've played this generation.

PSN ID + Xbox Live GT : ShadowWestNG | Steam : ShadowWest | Sig made by: ParadoxVoid <3

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2020-02-28 11:57:07

Recently I started playing vr and ar games like Arizona VR or SuperHot. I used to play PC games like the Witcher 3 or Call of Duty all the time but after trying virtual reality machine I've changed my mind and now I thing that vr/ar games are the highest tech prospect in gamedev. Now I want to try some horror movies, but I'm afraid to think about it now. You will need to somehow overcome your fear and still try it