00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club

126,530 Views | 1,160 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-17 18:21:14

I just bought my first comics.

I was walking and I passed a garage sale, I recognized a stack of old comics and looked through, it was mostly 90'2 X-men comics, but at the bottom of the pile I recognized the cover artwork the last arkham, and I also recognized Alan Grants name on Batman #457

I have read the two of these before as PDFs, but it's nice to actually own them.

I got both for two bucks, you can't beat that.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-17 23:27:47

Just wondering, but do you guys have a favorite comic book ad? Over the recent years and in the past there have been some ridiculously stupid comic book advertisements that seem awesome when you're a kid but in reality are complete crap. My favorite is this one which was in a few old comics I read. The sheer idea that you could receive a tank that fires out real missiles is almost enough to cause any kid to have a heart attack, but unfortunately if you actually paid for this all you received is a shit-load of cardboard.

Have you guys ever tried any comic book ads or have one you liked?

At 9/17/12 06:21 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: I just bought my first comics.

I was walking and I passed a garage sale, I recognized a stack of old comics and looked through, it was mostly 90'2 X-men comics, but at the bottom of the pile I recognized the cover artwork the last arkham, and I also recognized Alan Grants name on Batman #457

I have read the two of these before as PDFs, but it's nice to actually own them.

I got both for two bucks, you can't beat that.

Sounds like a good deal. Garage sales are usually a great place to find comic books. I never really had too much luck, but you never know!

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-20 01:29:24

At 9/17/12 11:27 PM, Pride wrote: Sounds like a good deal. Garage sales are usually a great place to find comic books. I never really had too much luck, but you never know!

I got some at the local fair as well...mostly reprints, nothing that ever became good (that stuff I got off a friend and that was after I realized what they were) did nail a first Black Cat off of a short lived shop at the local mall for about half what it's actually worth.

Most of my books were in the 80's and 90's...so no real wacky adverts, mostly the kind of ads you see now, for games and stuff. It's pretty cool when I look through them, or buy back issues of uncollected stuff off ebay (grabbed a full set of Morbius series from the early 90's that back in the day I only had a couple issues of but liked...ebay is the comics fan's best friend I swear) to remember some of the things they were selling and how awesome I thought they were back in the day (original MK! God my mom was pissed when she saw me do a fatality one day...the things I neglected to mention to get games).

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-20 22:49:17

From the way Spider-men ended, will they continue the story some how?

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-22 03:53:05

At 9/20/12 10:49 PM, ThePhantomGamer wrote: From the way Spider-men ended, will they continue the story some how?

Depending on the sales...I imagine they'd think about crossing the two over again. Everybody loves stunt publishing these days...

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-23 23:36:34

At 9/23/12 10:40 PM, SG3 wrote: I got around to finishing Mage the other day. I really enjoyed it. It got a lot better than I expected, especially the art in the second volume, and the protagonist's arc is very well done. I can only hope it'll get a satisfying conclusion; the authour hasn't yet revealed a release schedule for the third volume. Still, fun read anyway.

I really need to read those...I've always enjoyed the Matt Wagner I've read (particularly his Sandman Mystery Theatre that expanded and updated one of my favorite Golden Age heroes).

Also want to take a second to point out this group DOES have a main website at:

www.theendlesscrew.com

All members are welcome to check it out, write and contribute if you'd like (just let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you up with an account) and try to get our forums back up and running (it's a pretty fun place with an interesting group that have sort of wandered away but will definitely come back if they see new blood posting). If not, it's cool. Just figured more places to hang out is good for all of us.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-25 23:20:46

At 9/25/12 08:15 PM, FBIpolux wrote: Before Watchmen started as a big MEH, but it's getting really interesting now.

I just love the Comedian.

Anyone else following this short series? I got all the books so far.

I've heard nothing good and my own personal opinion is that it's little better then a bloated cash grab that doesn't need to exist...so I've done nothing to try and follow it.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-27 02:29:59

At 9/26/12 05:48 PM, FBIpolux wrote: Well, I don't even consider it to be canon, but there's a lot of interesting scenes. Ozymandias' book is really good.

Canon I think is highly subjective in comics...I mean, there's stuff that technically "counts" that nobody ever brings up because it's pretty universally regarded to be shit (Sins Past anyone?). But my point is if something doesn't need to exist, exists against the author's wishes, and is only there because the "brain" trust (and I use that term in the most sarcastic way possible) in the corporate board room is saying "hey, this makes a lot of money, why the fuck aren't we putting out more crap to capitilize on it?". There's no need to go back to that well, I disagree with going back to that well. So I stay out of that well and won't support it with my dollars. Got so much better stuff out there that I think is more worthy.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-09-28 03:58:51

At 9/27/12 01:19 PM, SG3 wrote: "According to my headcanon, that never happened."

Yeah, I think that's a fair statement. One of the biggest problems with the idea of continuity is that it's really gone on past the point it was ever intended to. I mean...do you REALLY think Stan Lee foresaw the Marvel Universe and the books he was doing in the 60's going past his tenure as writer/editor? Because I'm sure Stan will tell you now he always did...and I'm gonna respectfully call bullshit. Because up to that point comics was far too cyclical and I imagine most people saw the 60's super hero boom as something finite and just a cycle of genre that had come round again...and would be gone within the next 5 to 10 years like it had been prior.

The idea that a cohesive universe can be done with multiple writers, artists, editors, etc. is...well...ludicrous. It really is....and this has been proven by every company that has tried it that isn't Marvel or DC with those decades of good will and brand recognition behind them to bolster the endeavor.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-10-16 16:41:18

At 10/16/12 12:48 PM, SG3 wrote: Who says vampires aren't cool?

People who want my boot up their ass...

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2012-10-20 02:32:09

I just won issues 2 and 3 of "Walking Dead" in an online auction (specifically from "My Comic Shop.com")! They seem to be in mint condition and I can't wait to read those bad boys.

Man, I've really been getting into that series ever since I found someone who uploaded all the comic books onto Youtube. I haven't watched the show as of yet, but I am told that it is pretty awesome as well. I'm probably gonna try and collect the whole series, except for issue 1# because it's insanely expensive (though it may devalue in a few years). Hopefully though Kirkman doesn't kill off Rick too soon, I heard rumors he was planning on killing him to make it more realistic.

Also: Anyone else into the "Walking Dead" or have any theories about what is going to go down as Rick fights the "Saviors"?

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-01-05 13:08:59

So I've been reading some current series rather than just reading stuff from at least a decade ago as I'd always done before, and thought I'd bump this in the hopes of some recommendations for current series worth looking into.

I adored Demon Knights and the new Swamp Thing run, and thought Snyder's Batman was okay. As much as I heard people complain about the New 52 it seems to be perfect for me, since I have a rough idea of who all these characters are but little to no knowledge of the continuity.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-01-05 16:25:02

Would anyone recommend suicide squad in the new 52 series?
I've been kind of interested in it since Harley Quinn is in that series, but I'm not really into buying them if they suck.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-01-08 01:51:31

At 1/5/13 01:08 PM, TheMaster wrote: So I've been reading some current series rather than just reading stuff from at least a decade ago as I'd always done before, and thought I'd bump this in the hopes of some recommendations for current series worth looking into.

The recently concluded Uncanny X-Force was a monthly treat for me for the last two years and has confirmed for me that ANYTHING Rick Remender does is worth a look from me. On the DC side I've also really liked Demon Knights, and I do like Earth-2 a lot (though James Robinson will never do anything as amazing as Starman again. That's the problem with writing a magnum opus so early on in your career), World's Finest is usually "ok" to "good" but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't reading it mostly because it's a companion to Earth-2. I like the relaunch of Thunderbolts so far (probably because it's basically Uncanny X-Force without the moral ramifications thus far), and I'm willing to give Dark Avengers a shot (continues the plot from the prior book which I dug) and I'm planning to give Morbius a try as well (love me some Morbius)

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-01-08 01:52:48

At 1/5/13 04:25 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Would anyone recommend suicide squad in the new 52 series?
I've been kind of interested in it since Harley Quinn is in that series, but I'm not really into buying them if they suck.

I read it for awhile, it was decent, but when I missed a couple issues I dropped it based on not being able to justify paying a markup from ebay or somewhere to get the back issues I missed. Take that for what you will. Maybe try the first trade.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-02-10 03:44:31

Any Batman: The Brave and the Bold and/or Young Justice fans out there? I recently started watching both shows and I've found them to be awesome. It's really getting me interested in DC comics and its characters.

Also, whatcha dudes been reading recently?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-05-30 09:19:10

Looking for some advice and thought I'd bump this thread, since it seems like a relevant place to ask.

With Marvel Now! and DC's New 52 making comics feel a bit more accessible to new readers I decided to order some comics. I got a little bundle of 5 really cheap Marvel Now comics just to see if I'd enjoy them:

Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1
Cable and XForce #1, 2
X-Men Legacy #1, 2

I'm completely new to comics and know nothing about the Marvel or DC universes, which is why Now! and New 52 are appealing, since I've been wanting to give comics a chance for a while.

Do any of you guys have recommendations of which comics I should look into? I'm hoping to find some that don't have too many issues out yet. Guardians of the Galaxy only has few (3 I think) and I like the concept so I'm interested in it. Cable and XForce seems to have a few more issues out, so I'm considering sticking with it too, just means having to get all the issues I've missed out on first. I've still to try X-Men Legacy, so I can't really comment on it yet.

The seller also threw in a bonus issue. It's a cover variant of A Game of Thrones #6 which is currently selling on eBay for at least double what I paid for this pack of 5 comics, so I might just sell it off to fund a few more issues of whatever set I get into.

I know this place isn't all that active, but I figured I'd give it a bump anyway.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-04 18:38:32

No replies since my previous post but I figured I'd make another attempt at getting some discussion going.

So like I mentioned last time, I'm totally new to the world of comic books. I'm up to date with the new Guardians of the Galaxy run and I have to say, of the three Marvel Now! runs I've been reading, this is my favourite. I know it's only on issue 2 right now but I just love it. Definitely going to be sticking with this.

I'm not up to date with Cable and X-Force but I do have copies of every issue released so far. I'll be moving onto issue 6 next. Feels a bit slower and less impressive than Guardians of the Galaxy so far, but I hear it's meant to pick up a bit now that the first story arc is over. Again, I've been enjoying it and I'll stick with this for the time being.

Lastly I've been reading X-Men Legacy and I'm definitely not up to date with this one. Only read the first 2 issues and I think 11 was the latest issue to be released? However, definitely like the concept of this. I'm not really familiar with any characters from the Marvel universe, but Legion seems like a pretty interesting character to centre a story on. I think it's pretty interesting how the story switches between what's going on with Legion and what's going on inside Legion's mind. Definitely want to get more issues of this as well, but I've bought a fair few comic books recently so I'm going to hold off for a little while before I bring myself up to date with this one too.

So yea, initial impression of Marvel (and comic books in genera) is pretty great. I can see this being something I stick with from now on.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-04 18:51:17

New 52 is also what got me reading ongoing series. Had only read self-contained stuff before.

I haven't tried a ton of it, but I read the first couple of arcs of Batman, up to the end of Death of the Family. It was okay, but didn't hook me and I never bothered sticking with it after that was finished.

Superheroes being superheroes has never really interested me. The books I've enjoyed have always been ones that play with the format a bit. The Dark Knight Returns or Kingdom Come, stuff like that. Maybe I just like old superheroes.

Currently reading Swamp Thing, Demon Knights and Animal Man, and enjoying all three. I'm not entirely up to date with any of them because I like to build up a couple of issues to read at once rather than just one a month, but as it stands Demon Knights is probably my favourite. I was really enjoying Swamp Thing earlier on but felt that arc started to drag at the end, so looking forward to seeing what they do now that it's over.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-13 23:13:31

The first issue of Six Gun Gorilla arrived today.

Gonna read it soon. Hope it's good.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-15 01:19:19

At 5/30/13 09:19 AM, Dean wrote: Looking for some advice and thought I'd bump this thread, since it seems like a relevant place to ask.

The Endless Crew: We know comics and shit.

With Marvel Now! and DC's New 52 making comics feel a bit more accessible to new readers I decided to order some comics. I got a little bundle of 5 really cheap Marvel Now comics just to see if I'd enjoy them:

Ok.

Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1

Have not read it.

Cable and XForce #1, 2

I think that's where I jumped off. I've never been a Cable or X-Force guy because I remember the 90's when it was just another symptom of drawing super people ridiculously huge with guns coming from everywhere and violence being called "hard justice" or some such. I think Marvel rebooted him decently and the lineup was interesting but it feels too much like it's written for the trade and I don't tolerate that unless the stuff is super good.

X-Men Legacy #1, 2

Another I have not read.

I'm completely new to comics and know nothing about the Marvel or DC universes, which is why Now! and New 52 are appealing, since I've been wanting to give comics a chance for a while.

Then those initiatives are doing they're job insofar as getting you to sample the product. Time will tell if it's going to keep you hooked or not.

Do any of you guys have recommendations of which comics I should look into?

Let's see, got a ton of old collections you can try, but if you're saying "stuff I can go to the comic store and pick up each wednesday" then I've got you kind of covered there too. I've really enjoyed James Robinson's Earth-2, a really good slow simmer with some great world building and I'm enjoying his characterizations, shame DC forced him out with shitty editorial. I've also been digging Phantom Stranger. Demon Knights has been a fun "swords and sorcery" medievil period book, might be getting cancelled though. I've liked Dial H, which is definitely getting cancelled but I recommend picking up the trades when it finishes. The relaunched Thunderbolts has been a dark little fun trip. I think that's about it for my monthlies at present.

I'm hoping to find some that don't have too many issues out yet. Guardians of the Galaxy only has few (3 I think) and I like the concept so I'm interested in it. Cable and XForce seems to have a few more issues out, so I'm considering sticking with it too, just means having to get all the issues I've missed out on first. I've still to try X-Men Legacy, so I can't really comment on it yet.

If you have a decent retailer, they may have back issues you can buy, where do you live? Maybe we can hook you up with the comic shop locator and find you a store. If that fails, you can get reasonably priced ebay back issues.

The seller also threw in a bonus issue. It's a cover variant of A Game of Thrones #6 which is currently selling on eBay for at least double what I paid for this pack of 5 comics, so I might just sell it off to fund a few more issues of whatever set I get into.

Good idea, from what I hear if you've read the book, or watched the show, there's nothing new for you now, so sell it while it's hot if you're going to I'd say.

I know this place isn't all that active, but I figured I'd give it a bump anyway.

Sure, I try to pay attention to it, but it does seem hard to keep people around. I try to check it every day as long as it's bumped.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-18 11:46:57

I've joined bitches! Anyway, who's read those Superior Spiderman comics? I heard Doc Oc is Spidey.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-18 18:14:48

At 6/18/13 11:46 AM, darkjam wrote: I've joined bitches! Anyway, who's read those Superior Spiderman comics? I heard Doc Oc is Spidey.

I read one issue, was pretty good, but I have a hard time believing the direction of Doc Ock in Peter's body (with Peter like a disembodied conscience) is sticking around past the next movie.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-18 20:02:21

Today I got Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero.

The official graphic novel prequel to the movie.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-18 21:27:50

At 6/18/13 08:02 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Today I got Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero.

The official graphic novel prequel to the movie.

Might have to check that out, the movie looks like it could be my kind of fun.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-19 18:22:17

I read one issue, was pretty good, but I have a hard time believing the direction of Doc Ock in Peter's body (with Peter like a disembodied conscience) is sticking around past the next movie.

He's in Peter's body?! I thought Peter died, and Doc Ock was just in a spidey suit with his tentacles. Not actually in his body!

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-24 03:54:07

At 6/19/13 06:22 PM, darkjam wrote: He's in Peter's body?! I thought Peter died, and Doc Ock was just in a spidey suit with his tentacles. Not actually in his body!

Silly boy, if Peter outright died, it's much harder to bring him back when the sales slip or they hit the end of this experiment. No matter which, it ends the same way: Peter Parker returns as Spider-Man. It's gonna happen sooner or later.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-06-24 10:51:21

Silly boy, if Peter outright died, it's much harder to bring him back when the sales slip or they hit the end of this experiment. No matter which, it ends the same way: Peter Parker returns as Spider-Man. It's gonna happen sooner or later.

True. I still remember when there was a black spiderman.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-07-04 22:08:30

At 6/24/13 10:51 AM, darkjam wrote: True. I still remember when there was a black spiderman.

Yeah, this is why I tend to stay away from the A level corporate books these days, they substitute stunts for storytelling too much these days.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2013-07-20 20:17:04

Who do you think are the STRONGEST... As in muscle are in the Marvel universe?

Number 1 in my opinion is Spiderman... The reason being because a spider can lift you know... however many times fit's weight... Idk exactly but i did read, if i recall correctly... That Spiderman can lift 20 tons of weight...

Anyone feel the same?
Or different?