00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Need Help: Programmer

1,357 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Need Help: Programmer 2008-03-04 07:30:35

I'm in need or a programmer or two that can help with a game I am working on (or take over the programming aspect of the project depending on where it heads from here). It is a scrolling shooter, reminiscent of games like Gradios, Xevious, Galaga, and more. It's a shooter set in a time simmilar to ours, yet in a different setting altogether..

It's a tad hard to describe it, as the once-solid storyline is going under a rewrite to sound more engrossing and better than before. Basically, a team of people develop something, one man gets all the credit, and the others form together to get revenge.

An early/earlier) version of the game/engine is foound here: http://rapidshare.com/files/96909480/Ter raWorldNet_Main_Engine_Pre-Alpha_Version .rar.html

YOU NEED WINRAR TO OPEN IT, OR SOME OTHER RAR EXTRACTION UTILITY.

Now if anyone intends to simply HELP me with the project, please know I am very illiterate in any language including the one I do know. The only language I do know (partly) is GML, which some of you might know as "Game Maker Language", a scripting language used by the program "Game Maker" I use version 6.1. I primarily use "DnD" functions as opposed to the coding part out of ease and trouble learning what I need for the actual use of the scripting language.

Also, when it comes to game engines I tend to do a bit better with working with them, being I know what does what.

While I'd prefer to get help, I'd slowly drifting towards people doing programming for me in other languages/media, for instance Flash, C++, etc.

My reason for going towards languages like C/non Game Maker languages (meaning everything but GML) is that while I've found Game Maker to be highly flexible in what you can do, there are a few limitations.

My reason for flash development is because of how widespread it is, and how much easier you can get to it. Plus, I would like to actually submit something other than a few crappy music tracks (I've gotten better, but eh...). Also, it would be easier to get critiques, etc, and most likely easier to distribute.

If you do help, I will ask of you a few tests to preform, to see if I can use your help. They vary depending on what it is.

...I hope I didn't miss anything.. I'm dealing with a torn tendon in my left leg (potentially) and a really bad cold/sinus infection/whatever).

Current Project: TerraWorldNet - 2d / (potential 3d) scroling shooter madness!

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /871470

Response to Need Help: Programmer 2008-03-04 14:31:55

At 3/4/08 01:54 PM, NeillS wrote: Game Maker and flash, in the same topic, in the programming forum. What a WASTE :P

Useless reply in a topic that is asking for help. What a waste, get out. Maybe if you have some flashes on here to make you seem so big, you might actually have had an impression on me.

I specifically posted it here because it wasn't fully flash. The other reason is simply because flash was mentioned as a possibility.

So the only waste here is you, I'm sorry.

Response to Need Help: Programmer 2008-03-04 14:57:34

At 3/4/08 02:39 PM, NeillS wrote: I don't have time to deal with the filth of newgrounds.

Yet you obviously do considering you had time to write all of that.

Whether you think NeillS deserved it or not he is a reg' round here, and it's probably not a good idea to go trying to flame or send hate mail to him. Especially considering it's now derailed your thread.

And to be honest, NeillS you were pretty resevered about this one if I do say

BBS Signature

Response to Need Help: Programmer 2008-03-04 15:18:03

At 3/4/08 02:57 PM, smulse wrote:
At 3/4/08 02:39 PM, NeillS wrote: I don't have time to deal with the filth of newgrounds.
Yet you obviously do considering you had time to write all of that.

Whether you think NeillS deserved it or not he is a reg' round here, and it's probably not a good idea to go trying to flame or send hate mail to him. Especially considering it's now derailed your thread.

And to be honest, NeillS you were pretty resevered about this one if I do say

I'm rather dissapointed with the behavior of most NG people, regulars or not. I only have respect for those who show it, and the fact that he even posted that, makes no sense for me, even on a NG standard. So quite frankly, if there is any justification for his post. ANY at all, damaging as my reply might have been (And AIM convos) to my image, I've never 100% understood NG and it's userbase, so most people I see appear to be complete idiots.

Quire frankly I was addressing programmers hence the PROGRAMMING thread it was posted in. So quite frankly, regular or not, I don't give a damn. He doesn't seem to have a reason to post therefore I don't care what anyone thinks. He was in the wrong. If proved otherwise I'll make an apology. On the front page of NG or wherever that bonus points thing posts to, or the forums. whatever.