00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

standardized test racism

963 Views | 15 Replies

standardized test racism 2008-02-24 14:55:37

I would like to know why the computer grading my standardized tests needs to know my ancestrial background.

I think it's something about scholarships. So, what, if I'm from somewhere exotic I can get finacncial aid, but if I'm just another boring white person they want nothing to do with me?

Fuckin' token scouts.
From now on, I'm putting a random ethnicity each time I'm tested! Who's with me?

I miss my old sig )=

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-24 14:58:22

I don't like them etheir. Sometimes you don't have to say what race you are.

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-24 15:03:53

At 2/24/08 02:58 PM, LordJaric wrote: I don't like them etheir. Sometimes you don't have to say what race you are.

But it's still down right insulitig to favor one race over the other in an attempt to promote diversity.

I miss my old sig )=

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-24 15:05:50

At 2/24/08 03:03 PM, alicetheDroog wrote: But it's still down right insulitig to favor one race over the other in an attempt to promote diversity.

I agree.

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-24 15:15:17

At 2/24/08 03:11 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: On forms in the United Kingdom there's always a "Prefer Not To Say" option, which I always tick.

Do you lot not get that?

Almost all the time.
But someone who puts "Black" or "Asian" is better off than someone who puts "Prefer Not To Say".

I miss my old sig )=

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-24 15:20:18

I've always loved the choice "other" , you know when it asks you married, single, other .
So whenever I come across a place to pick whether I'm white or male , I usually pick to write in 'other'.
Although with the N.S. tax credit here, where companies that come here for less than 6 months get all taxes they paid returned to them I will write Mars, or Pluto where it asks me on the form where I lived last year.
Gotta have fun in life, probably makes it to the dinner table conversations of people that read some of the stuff they get on these forms.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-24 15:20:23

At 2/24/08 02:55 PM, alicetheDroog wrote: I would like to know why the computer grading my standardized tests needs to know my ancestrial :background.

I'm pretty sure it's optional, but it's mostly used for the National Achievement Scholarship, which is for black students with good PSAT scores.

I think it's something about scholarships. So, what, if I'm from somewhere exotic I can get finacncial :aid, but if I'm just another boring white person they want nothing to do with me?

For some scholarships, yes.

From now on, I'm putting a random ethnicity each time I'm tested! Who's with me?

That's bad. They might try to give you a scholarship, and if you didn't inform them immediately that you lied (or made a mistake), you'd be in big trouble with the law, for effectively lying in order to get financial aid.

I once got a letter from a college telling me that I had gotten the National Achievement Scholarship, which was worth $20,000 a year (basically, in my case, a full ride), only to get a letter in a few weeks that I was incorrectly identified.

I'm not sure why they made the mistake, but if it implies that I would've gotten that scholarship had I been of a different race, I'd be kinda mad. Scholarships should be based on merit, not race.

"The mountain is a quarry of rock, the trees are a forest of timber, the rivers are water in the dam, the wind is wind-in-the-sails"

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-24 15:27:57

At 2/24/08 03:20 PM, Al6200 wrote:
At 2/24/08 02:55 PM, alicetheDroog wrote: From now on, I'm putting a random ethnicity each time I'm tested! Who's with me?
That's bad. They might try to give you a scholarship, and if you didn't inform them immediately that you lied (or made a mistake), you'd be in big trouble with the law, for effectively lying in order to get financial aid.

It says to only chech the oneyou feel difines you best.
Let's say I have an incredibly diverse background...
One time I take the test, I'm all caught up in how Spanish I am.
The next time, I could be thinking a lot about my African ancestors.
After that, maybe i just rekindled my relationship with some Japanise relatives.

I miss my old sig )=

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-24 16:25:56

At 2/24/08 02:55 PM, alicetheDroog wrote: I think it's something about scholarships.

That and statistics, they want to know what percentage of blacks failed reading tests.

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.

PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-26 07:01:15

In Australia we occasionally get an option "Are you Aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander?", but that's it...

Life's a bitch with a score to settle.

BBS Signature

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-26 15:40:09

statistic

Pronunciation:
\st%u0259-%u02C8tis-tik\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
singular of statistics
Date:

1: a single term or datum in a collection of statistics
2 a: a quantity (as the mean of a sample) that is computed from a sample; specifically : estimate
3b b: a random variable that takes on the possible values of a statistic

I hope this helps to answer your question.

The average BBS user couldn't detect sarcasm if it was shoved up his ass.

Roses Are Red Violets are Blue

I'm Schizophrenic and so am I

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-26 15:44:29

I tick WHITE BRITISH with pride.

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-26 17:28:56

If you have 60% purple people, and 40% green people, it seems to make sense to me that, on the pretense that purple people have the same average intelligence as green people, that a college of High Honors, honors, or below average students would maintain a ratio of 60% purple and 40% green.

Is there something long with my logic thus far?

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-26 18:26:36

At 2/26/08 05:28 PM, SmilezRoyale wrote: If you have 60% purple people, and 40% green people, it seems to make sense to me that, on the pretense that purple people have the same average intelligence as green people, that a college of High Honors, honors, or below average students would maintain a ratio of 60% purple and 40% green.

Is there something long with my logic thus far?

Intelligence =/= honors classes.

Instead use motivated and hardworking. I've seen geniuses in regular classes and absolute morons in high honors classes.

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-26 18:38:11

I've seen minority scholarships that have a bubble for "caucasian/white" on the race column.

Because they could be sued for not including whites, even though they won't give the scholarships to them.

"NGs! now with +1 medical consultation." -SolInvictus

BBS Signature

Response to standardized test racism 2008-02-27 01:34:22

I don't actually know, but my best guess would be for developing statistics or demographics of some description.

BBS Signature