00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

knehzoo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG London Meetup 3

12,565 Views | 255 Replies

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-11 20:47:27

At 3/11/08 06:54 PM, Bezman wrote: Also, I still think it'd be cool for us to get a place to crash together. I'd be willing to chip in to help us get a comfy place to chill, like we had in January.

Well January was low season so it was relatively inexpensive to get two flats.. during high season its a different matter... Even still, we could have totally had everyone stay at one flat in January.. the flat downstairs was like barely used. and that one had more beds too! Like there was people sleeping on the floor in my flat when there were empty beds and rooms downstairs.

Anyways i'll keep you all posted on that.. i probably will get a decent sized flat. The difference tho is it ABSOLUTELY cannot leak out on the general forum when i post the meet info there.. i do not want a bunch of weird people trying to get to my place.

Also ALONEINTHEDARK you better show up for more than 10 mins. wtf. you didnt even make it in the team photo. Something new at these meetups is that Tom's supplying me with an XXXL NG shirt so we gotta be sure to sign it all so i can get it back to the office.. sort of like a greetings from the UK 2008 type of thing.. we can change the color of the shirt every year.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-11 23:12:04

At 3/11/08 08:47 PM, Luis wrote: during high season its a different matter... Even still, we could have totally had everyone stay at one flat in January..

Didn't consider that.

Personally, I cared more about the fact that it acted like a meeting point and chilling point on the 'bonus days' than as an actual sleeping spot. Twas fun exchanging bullshit until the early hours! I'm already bubbling with anticipation!

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 02:57:11

At 3/11/08 11:12 PM, Bezman wrote: Personally, I cared more about the fact that it acted like a meeting point and chilling point on the 'bonus days' than as an actual sleeping spot. Twas fun exchanging bullshit until the early hours! I'm already bubbling with anticipation!

well we can still hang out at my place. i dont mind that

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 04:43:36

At 3/11/08 06:54 PM, Bezman wrote: Also, I still think it'd be cool for us to get a place to crash together. I'd be willing to chip in to help us get a comfy place to chill, like we had in January.

Yeah, I'd totally be thrilled to crash on the floor of some of the most awesome animators and developers out there :P It'd be worth it for bragging rights alone.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 09:11:16

At 3/12/08 04:43 AM, Paranoia wrote:
Yeah, I'd totally be thrilled to crash on the floor of some of the most awesome animators and developers out there :P It'd be worth it for bragging rights alone.
At 3/12/08 04:43 AM, Paranoia wrote:

Something i REALLY want to do at one of these meetups, is make some sort of flash movie/minigame... Tom posted something on his userpage not long ago about how him and the staff had a Flash slumber party when they made that Queers of War spoof... they knocked it out in one night.

Now i know the concept of a flash slumber party sounds uber lame, but it would be like a great little piece to mark my time there and a nice little time capsule type of thing that you can look back on...

Bleh read tom's post he is better at explaining it. It's not as nerdy as it sounds i swear!!!

ARE YOU ACTUALLY SHOWING UP THIS TIME?

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 09:28:01

it would really have to be reminiscent of the abandoned flash reg collab considering multiple programmers on such a small project would be infeasable without it being collection of tiny little minigame type stuff

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 09:32:19

At 3/12/08 09:28 AM, dELtaluca wrote: it would really have to be reminiscent of the abandoned flash reg collab considering multiple programmers on such a small project would be infeasable without it being collection of tiny little minigame type stuff

It would be cool to make a mini bumper cars game.. one person could code it and then people could draw their own renditions of themselves for their spritesets... even if people suck at drawing it would be fun and organic .. plus bumper cars has become a staple of all uk meets so far.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 11:26:55

At 3/12/08 09:11 AM, Luis wrote:
ARE YOU ACTUALLY SHOWING UP THIS TIME?

Yes. I'm 18 in just shy of a couple of months and my A Levels will be well over by then, so I've got no excuse :P

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 12:07:05

At 3/12/08 09:32 AM, Luis wrote: ... plus bumper cars has become a staple of all uk meets so far.

I am Kayn. Jester King of Bumper Cars. Fear me and all my awesome.

People need to bring laptops down to the meet up I guess if we're going to make a Flash game about it...

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 12:19:08

At 3/12/08 12:07 PM, KaynSlamdyke wrote:
At 3/12/08 09:32 AM, Luis wrote: ... plus bumper cars has become a staple of all uk meets so far.
I am Kayn. Jester King of Bumper Cars. Fear me and all my awesome.

People need to bring laptops down to the meet up I guess if we're going to make a Flash game about it...

Why not just go to an internet cafe and put flash on externam HDD.

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 12:24:55

At 3/12/08 12:19 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Why not just go to an internet cafe and put flash on externam HDD.

Because I'm not sitting down in a cybercafe paying £5 for thirty minutes (or whatever it is London charges) to use a dog slow computer when I could be sitting in a nice room somewhere with booze and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace playing in the background using my tablet laptop, and I'm sure other people will feel the same.

Especially if it's half two in the morning and we're all just pissing about with character designs. And drunk. Alcohol sounds important to this plan

The intention wouldn't be to make the game and plug the game together within a half an hour. It'd be a collaberative effort started and completed during the meetup. Wheres the fun of doing it some other way?

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 13:44:49

I only recently got a laptop, it's going along to the meet (It's not a tablet but it's good enough).
I think it'll only be worthwhile to make a collab/game if we have enough computers/laptops to work with.

SIG YOINK!

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 14:59:22

At 3/12/08 12:24 PM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: The intention wouldn't be to make the game and plug the game together within a half an hour. It'd be a collaberative effort started and completed during the meetup. Wheres the fun of doing it some other way?

Hehe, it could just be me, but we Flash regs seem to have this endearing habit of trying to manufacture what should be spontaneous collaborative processes :P

At any rate, I'm all for getting some spirits and coke and plastic cups and seeing what we come up with. I guess we could rotate around one or two computers and take turns in drawing or coding things - that way we wouldn't end up with everyone typing away in isolation.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 15:10:14

What with not being very social the only computer ive ever had was an amd total gaming comp but ill still go.

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 16:25:48

At 3/12/08 02:59 PM, Paranoia wrote: Hehe, it could just be me, but we Flash regs seem to have this endearing habit of trying to manufacture what should be spontaneous collaborative processes :P

Yeah. Fuck that in it's ass.

At any rate, I'm all for getting some spirits and coke and plastic cups and seeing what we come up with. I guess we could rotate around one or two computers and take turns in drawing or coding things - that way we wouldn't end up with everyone typing away in isolation.

And the coders can show us just how good thier OOP skills are by making thier code in isolation from each other, merely telling each other what they pass in. Because that's what OOP was made for. Right? Right?

I'm now going to run from the mob of coders...

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 16:28:27

I haaaaate bringing my laptop to the uk.. that one bag as carry on rule is terrible. I suppose i could get a really big bag that can hold a laptop and one change of underwear. yes i said one.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 16:38:45

At 3/12/08 04:28 PM, Luis wrote: I haaaaate bringing my laptop to the uk.. that one bag as carry on rule is terrible. I suppose i could get a really big bag that can hold a laptop and one change of underwear. yes i said one.

I don't understand the idea any more of dragging clothes with you on the airplane. Especially things like underwear and socks which you can buy at any Airport terminal...

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 17:15:46

In other news, I inquired about a couple flats that I'm considering.. theres a 3 bedroom one near the Tottenham court tube station that's caught my eye.. that would be optimal. What I may do is if anyone is looking to stay at the flat they can pay 20q or something for the bed... that seems fair.. then id atleast use that for my tube pass or something. and if people want to bring their own sleeping bag and find a space on the floor obviously that'd be free. *shrug* i dunno im just thinking out loud right now.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 17:56:58

At 3/12/08 05:15 PM, Luis wrote: *shrug* i dunno im just thinking out loud right now.

sound fair

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 18:00:45

At 3/12/08 04:28 PM, Luis wrote: I haaaaate bringing my laptop to the uk.. that one bag as carry on rule is terrible. I suppose i could get a really big bag that can hold a laptop and one change of underwear. yes i said one.

I think the idea sucks balls actualy. Lugging laptops down to london to do something that we would usualy do anyway.

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-12 18:06:58

At 3/12/08 04:25 PM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: And the coders can show us just how good thier OOP skills are by making thier code in isolation from each other, merely telling each other what they pass in. Because that's what OOP was made for. Right? Right?
I'm now going to run from the mob of coders...

Hehe, I have more of an image of the coders sat at the computer drawing terribly while slurring "Hey look - I can do art too".

Art is much more fun than coding to do collaboratively :P I guess the coding can work itself out.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 14:00:23

Is anyone even any good at soccer? yes i said soccer... deal with it.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 14:11:21

At 3/12/08 05:15 PM, Luis wrote: What I may do is if anyone is looking to stay at the flat they can pay 20q or something for the bed...

How much to stay in your bed? =P

Is anyone even any good at soccer? yes i said soccer... deal with it.

I'm shit hot at Football. And by shit hot I mean shit. But we should still play, even if everyone here's terrible.

I bet Mogly's well good at football...

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 14:22:21

At 3/14/08 02:11 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: I'm shit hot at Football. And by shit hot I mean shit. But we should still play, even if everyone here's terrible.

We could always have an old skool, everyone-run-towards-the-ball-like-a-rea lly-bad-AI playground game. Just so long as everyone's at an equal level of craptitude.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 14:28:48

At 3/14/08 02:22 PM, Paranoia wrote:
At 3/14/08 02:11 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: I'm shit hot at Football. And by shit hot I mean shit. But we should still play, even if everyone here's terrible.
We could always have an old skool, everyone-run-towards-the-ball-like-a-rea lly-bad-AI playground game. Just so long as everyone's at an equal level of craptitude.

lol, depending on how many show up we could get a 5-a-side tournament on the go.

Or we could just get a copy of Pro and a multi-tap. =)

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 15:49:18

At 3/14/08 02:28 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Or we could just get a copy of Pro and a multi-tap. =)

PES is a great game, but nothing beats actually playing.
Yes i'm still in this if anyone cares. Which i doubt. Well maybe Sam :P

And on the subject of football i used to pretty damn good.
Years of smoking may have killed that though. Any of you guys going smoke? Barring Luis of course.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 15:55:52

At 3/14/08 03:49 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Years of smoking may have killed that though. Any of you guys going smoke? Barring Luis of course.

Heh, middle-class company that I keep, smoking is generally regarded by my friends as being marginally more socially acceptable than paedophilia. It's never really bothered me, but that might just be because I always used to stay with me nan on Fridays and she smoked like a chimney.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 15:56:20

At 3/14/08 03:49 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote:
At 3/14/08 02:28 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Or we could just get a copy of Pro and a multi-tap. =)
PES is a great game, but nothing beats actually playing.
Yes i'm still in this if anyone cares. Which i doubt. Well maybe Sam :P

And on the subject of football i used to pretty damn good.
Years of smoking may have killed that though. Any of you guys going smoke? Barring Luis of course.

Hans does.. oh and NegativeOne... but hes not comin this time

In other news, i booked a place in Russell Square.. have no clue if its going to be as large as the flats in mayfair but it has two bedrooms so i assume itll be fairly close to it.

Did I mention that I really hate soccer!

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 16:02:25

At 3/14/08 03:56 PM, Luis wrote: Hans does.. oh and NegativeOne... but hes not comin this time

Why not? Also make Jmtb go.

Did I mention that I really hate soccer!

We could always play cricket instead old chap.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meetup 3 2008-03-14 16:20:47

At 3/14/08 03:56 PM, Luis wrote: Did I mention that I really hate soccer!

How can you hate the beautiful game?
Round these parts, you either love football or your a homosexual.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature