00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lipinski14D just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

957,506 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 15:56:17

At 2/15/08 10:08 AM, LaserKarl wrote:
Ron Mueck is my latest favourite artist. Unbelivable stuff. Many of you have sertainly allready seen this guy. I think what he does is called hyper realism. Big sculptures with incredible detail and feeling. Check it out.

Wow, thats the most amazing thing i've seen in a while.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 15:57:49

At 2/15/08 03:42 PM, Vousielle wrote:
My point exactly, they are the patterns that permeate the the underlying framework of the universe.

er maybe, but in an actual visual representation sense, they're just pretty mathematically generated figures that you can zoom-in on infinitely to re-find the same base figure again.
I'd be very impressed if Jackson Pollock managed to consciously make such an impossibly complicate thing by throwing paint on a glass plate.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 16:01:33

At 2/15/08 03:57 PM, poxpower wrote: I'd be very impressed if Jackson Pollock managed to consciously make such an impossibly complicate thing by throwing paint on a glass plate.

consciously? No way in hell. lol

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 16:03:36

on the subject of Muek, (sorry if i misspelled)

his sculptures are amazing, he had a show at the Andy Warhol Museum a little bit ago and i went to go see it, to see photos of his work is one thing, but to be standing next to a 10 foot tall photorealistic woman sitting in bed, or a foot long man sitting in a boat, it's really surreal, i kept waiting to see them breather or blink or just get up and walk away, it's really almost creepy but amazing

i'd recommend everyone to see his work in person if you get the chance

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 17:32:18

At 2/15/08 04:03 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: i'd recommend everyone to see his work in person if you get the chance

I saw the Giant newborn one, it was pretty sweet.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 17:38:42

At 2/15/08 10:08 AM, LaserKarl wrote: Ron Mueck is my latest favourite artist. Unbelivable stuff. Many of you have sertainly allready seen this guy. I think what he does is called hyper realism. Big sculptures with incredible detail and feeling. Check it out.

That is some amazing work right there it all looks so incredibly detailed. Although I think those two little old ladies might give me nightmares, time to get the plastic sheets out again.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-16 18:06:44

The baby one is cool, but i didn't think it was as realistic as some of his other sculptures

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-19 18:49:18

A series of tubes.

alright, sorry for the lame topic idea... but i need some help. How do you keep your characters from simply being connected lines from place to place? sleeves become tubes. hands become spheres. My torsos + shoulders seem to be afflicted by this the most, with many just being a trapezoid with sleeves attached.
folds also seem to elude me.

i'm trying to add detail, to both the lineart and colorings, without reducing my penstrokes to mad-scribbling. (tho... that sometimes helps.)

can anyone help, maybe link to some tutes?
(here's an example i whipped up, the arms i feel kind of confident about, but sleeves/pants are far from realism)

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-20 01:03:54

I'm just wondering, does anybody know a site with a bunch of free hand poses, or full body poses? I'm trying to practice drawing people naturally standing and their hands naturally at their sides. If anybody knows a site with some poses I would greatly appreciate it.

I need Monet, to buy DeGas to make my Van Gogh. I tried to Hale a cab but my Whistler didn't Turner 'round.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-20 01:42:12

At 2/20/08 01:03 AM, Winned wrote: I'm just wondering, does anybody know a site with a bunch of free hand poses, or full body poses? I'm trying to practice drawing people naturally standing and their hands naturally at their sides. If anybody knows a site with some poses I would greatly appreciate it.

I looked through a bunch of my old posts and found this site called www.posemaniacs.com. It's pretty sweet for body poses, I don't think it has hand poses though, just full body and face poses. Hope it helps!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-20 10:40:58

At 2/20/08 01:03 AM, Winned wrote: I'm just wondering, does anybody know a site with a bunch of free hand poses, or full body poses? I'm trying to practice drawing people naturally standing and their hands naturally at their sides. If anybody knows a site with some poses I would greatly appreciate it.

http://div.dyndns.org/references/ has some pretty good photos.

Doors. You'll know when they're appropriate.

dA

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-20 23:27:27

WIP CRITIQUE
Here is a WIP of something I am playing around with, any critique would be appreciated.
It is supposed to be like old turn of the century iconographs.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-21 01:13:12

Fractals are patterns in chaos though, so wouldn't an increased randomness be more likely to produce a fractals?
fractals are not random, they're extremely precise mathematical figures.

Originally fractals were ugly, like the Cantor set or the Koch curve.

Mandelbrot was the first to make one beautiful, and he coined the term fractal.

Jonathan Coulton wrote a song about it C:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES-yKOYaX q0

too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-21 21:04:50

oh man, I'm dieing here, I need an art collaboration pronto!

I doubt I'm gonna make it into any 'limited spots available' (for well-known artists only) luis collabs.
Does anyone have any (non-digital) collaborations at all that they could show me?

ugh, no digital, please.

If anyone can spare it, I would really appreciate $0.60 on paypal PM me perhaps?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-22 00:57:32

At 2/12/08 12:25 PM, LaserKarl wrote: I guess this is a good place to discuss the question "What is art?"

This is something I've actually put a lot of thought into. I even made an animation about it, if anyone's interested (please forgive my terrible voice acting and weird accent).
I came up with this theory back in 2004 and so far it's still the one I like the most. Art is not an objective concept, we can't say 'This is art' and intend this sentence to be universal. It all depends on our inner beauty meter.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-22 18:46:02

Does anybody know how much I could buy a decent tablet for? I have no idea what kind to get seeing as I've never had one, I may be able to make some money but I would like one on the cheaper side.

I need Monet, to buy DeGas to make my Van Gogh. I tried to Hale a cab but my Whistler didn't Turner 'round.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-22 18:58:21

the future most-asked question (or tablets.)

bamboo is the cheapest, starting at 80, but the best is $200.

it goes all the way up to intuos3, which are some real high-quality equipment. these are 4x6 by 12x19, which is INSANE, and probably not needed.

Find a place that sells them at a student discount (assuming that you are one) and you save even more!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-22 21:15:08

the future most-asked question (or tablets.)

bamboo is the cheapest, starting at 80, but the best is $200.

it goes all the way up to intuos3, which are some real high-quality equipment. these are 4x6 by 12x19, which is INSANE, and probably not needed.

I have a 4X6 and love it to the max, but sometimes it's a little quirky because the buttons (specifically the zoom/scroll) is where i rest my arm (I'm left handed)

I plan to upgrade to a larger size when I muster the cheddah

If anyone can spare it, I would really appreciate $0.60 on paypal PM me perhaps?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-22 21:19:52

What does everyone think of vidja games as art?

appearently Hideo Kojima (sp?)MG creator)) doesn't think so, but I do- Most modern games are just movies with your thumbs and alottof them look amazing and/or have poetic meaning

example: Too Human

God, I want that game

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-22 22:28:22

:what is games and art?:

At 2/22/08 09:19 PM, HahaBears wrote: What does everyone think of vidja games as art?

(good) games are (or should be) a delicate balance of art, storytelling, and gameplay.
even games like team fortress. each character has a different viewpoint. it adds to the immersion.
each part works in tandem, if you have an absolutely beautiful storyline, but it's told with stick figures... some of the appeal wears away.

i'm more for working on the first and last elements. there is an art to good programming. and there's a procedure to making 'realistic' art.

i ain't touchin any of that "bodily fluids be art" stuff. i mean like making a 2d representation how something would appear in real life.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-09 00:33:56

Bumped for a question that is forum related:

Hey forum-ites, I have a plan to start an art contest, but I am having trouble thinking what the theme should be. Another problem is prizes, I could give cash prizes, but that isn't very interesting. (also they wouldn't be too impressive considering my financial situation) I am open to any suggestions you guys might have.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-09 00:35:47

At 3/9/08 12:33 AM, Vousielle wrote: Bumped for a question that is forum related:

Hey forum-ites, I have a plan to start an art contest, but I am having trouble thinking what the theme should be. Another problem is prizes, I could give cash prizes, but that isn't very interesting. (also they wouldn't be too impressive considering my financial situation) I am open to any suggestions you guys might have.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The contest will be to draw on a theme, with the hook being that you will be doing your entry in someones style other than your own.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-09 23:32:40

At 3/9/08 06:48 AM, ArthurGhostly wrote: RE: Art Contest

Surely, if you're not doing cash prizes - the prizes should be somewhat related to the theme of the contest?

I am thinking about the prizes being both cash in combination with so manner of material prize.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-09 23:44:07

Ok, I have a question. I'm finally using this sketchbook I got a while back, I dunno if it's the book but I'm really learning fast. Problem is, it's one of those books where you have to bend the pages upward to turn the page. Kinda like this, going upward and when I turn the page sometimes one of the other pages bend then rip. Any way to stop this? Or any notebook suggestions?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-13 14:59:21

Can anybody tell me where to find a 360 degree view, or just a couple different views of the human skull? I need to for an art project, I found a frontal view which I'll do if I can't find anything else. I'm just hoping for more. Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-13 15:38:25

:Sketchpads:

At 3/9/08 11:44 PM, Winned wrote: Problem is, it's one of those books where you have to bend the pages upward to turn the page. Kinda like this, going upward and when I turn the page sometimes one of the other pages bend then rip. Any way to stop this? Or any notebook suggestions?

i had the same problem!

Spiral . bound. books FTW.

that second one might not be spiral, but you're good with anything that's not flip-top. if you like to throw away money these have serious staying power.

Another option is to put the the finished pages in a folder of some sort. Keep it in at home, that way those don't get smudged while you bring the blank/WIP pages along with you.

(if i time this right, 200 posts!!)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-13 16:24:05

At 3/13/08 03:38 PM, kernalphage wrote: that second one might not be spiral, but you're good with anything that's not flip-top. if you like to throw away money these have serious staying power.

Moleskines (How the fuck do you pronounce that btw?) are really awesome. I just bought one a couple of days ago. Totally great.

Doors. You'll know when they're appropriate.

dA

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-16 22:45:32

Any of you art forumers seen the Movie/Documentary My Kid Could Paint That. I watched it recently and found it was good interesting viewing. I'd recommend it to you all, let me know your thoughts if you've seen it.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-17 13:34:43

Wow, BMK this is actually a cool idea. Most of the other Forums have it, so I guess it's cool you stuck one in here too. I feel like it's so much different from the Flash one though. I mean, artists are crazy and out there, while us ASers hide in our little holes and come out in an organized fashion...it's f-ed up. Anyways, sorry for the late post, I just thought I'd comment on it now rather than at page 100.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-03-17 14:20:39

hey guys sorry to interrupt ur discussion but i recently sketched out this mediocre drawing and i want to color it in the hopes that it can become somewhat better, but i cant decide between:

colored pencil
acrylic paint
watercolor
or pastel

help please