00:00
00:00

Art Forum Lounge

810,149 Views | 17,729 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 08:11:18

But I guess I shouldn't complain since I don't really have much to ask for. The lesson is probably think hard on what you want to actually do with your life so you don't end up realising it was a mistake after investing so much on doing it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 11:01:55

I was going to make a joke about being terrified about seeing a bunch of notifications in my feed.

At 12/5/18 08:07 AM, MagtiraPaolo wrote:
At 12/5/18 08:01 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 12/5/18 07:48 AM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: [...] However art isn't as fun as it used to be.
I sometimes worry about this. Does working with what I love mean that spark will start to fade? Though maybe there's more freedom after some time working?
Personally I think this is because my views on art changed throughout the years compared to when I started. I even went to university for art. I guess I lost my childlike wonder for making images when I got desensitised in my years studying and eventually graduating. These days I think drawing is bothersome because I mostly draw just to get a story or a message across.

I realised sometime in the middle of studying in art school that I don't actually like drawing as much as I thought. Now I'm stuck doing a career doing something that I think is too much of a bother to do sometimes.

Honestly, I want to avoid jumping into this discussion, and suggest you have an open talk to someone you can have a heart-to-heart with in person. I was one of the people who was dazzled by your output and development, so your current frame of mind is troubling.

I think you need time to take a step back and reflect, so it’s fortunate that the Christmas holidays are coming up. I don’t think it’s inherently art, but you may be putting yourself into a structured way of thinking, either from your way of working or by your education. If either are stifling you, I think you should be prepared to challenge what you are doing now, even if that means to go against what you’ve been taught.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 12:03:09 (edited 2018-12-05 12:09:52)

At 12/5/18 11:01 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Honestly, I want to avoid jumping into this discussion, and suggest you have an open talk to someone you can have a heart-to-heart with in person. I was one of the people who was dazzled by your output and development, so your current frame of mind is troubling.

I think you need time to take a step back and reflect, so it’s fortunate that the Christmas holidays are coming up. I don’t think it’s inherently art, but you may be putting yourself into a structured way of thinking, either from your way of working or by your education. If either are stifling you, I think you should be prepared to challenge what you are doing now, even if that means to go against what you’ve been taught.

Oh shit it's TOAS! Just seeing you around makes me feel like it's back in the past again. Thanks for your input on my current situation. I think you might be right. I guess I can mostly attribute this faulty mindset to my thinking. It might have to do with me developing clinical depression these past years right after I started going to college.

Everything used to be fun and colorful for me, especially when I first found this place at 13. The reason I came back here is because I was hoping to be able to experience the same sort of wonder I used to find here when I was younger. It might be because I've grown up or it's because I have an illness but I'm just very different from what I used to be.

I lost all my dreams and it's just overwhelming that all of these things about my art career and other things are going too fast. I know people who'll be disappointed at me having this mindset especially because they say I've "achieved" things on the field. However I just can't find a way to feel happy for myself and what I've accomplished so far since I feel like I'll always be pretending. I'm still holding out that someday I'll get over this.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 12:15:33

Doing anything under external pressure, no matter how much you enjoy it, will feel worse than doing it at your own leisure. It mostly pertains to how you handle pressure and other people's expectations. And the stuff you're working on is not always inspiring or fun. I can't count on fingers how many times I've received a boring brief attached to a "ref folder" full of Halo spartans.

Over time, there is also a large degree of quality control you start imposing on yourself. As your skills grow, your expectations of what you should be achieving grow, too. And sometimes those expectations are hard to meet, even if other people are happy with your work.

But yeah, burnout and art fatigue are pretty common among freelancers. You just kinda have to soldier thru it until the next cool project that inspires you. Or maybe a small lane switch might be in order. I added pixel art and animation to my repertoire to keep things fresh.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 17:57:28

At 12/5/18 12:03 PM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: I lost all my dreams and it's just overwhelming that all of these things about my art career and other things are going too fast. I know people who'll be disappointed at me having this mindset especially because they say I've "achieved" things on the field. However I just can't find a way to feel happy for myself and what I've accomplished so far since I feel like I'll always be pretending. I'm still holding out that someday I'll get over this.

Since we're sharing stories... I had a period similar to this. Once I left college, I felt like I had no-one to prove myself to anymore. The more people told me my art was great, the less I enjoyed making it. Even if I knew that I could improve much, much more, there was just no more reason for me to do it. At first I brushed it off as if it was just temporary blues, but after a while, I came to terms that it's a very real, painful and especially lonely step in life.

Eventually, I started thinking why I make art to begin with and reorganized. I decided to just casually make small art-pieces without uploading or showing anyone for myself, whilst sticking actual energy in my work as audiovisual artist. It honestly makes me much happier, even if I have little to show for it.

Being an artist isn't more important than your happiness, no matter what social media or art teachers tell you. Also, cut out any negative voices in your life, focus on what gives you hope or keeps you high. Hope this helps a little, it works for me.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 21:29:23

Wow. Is this a an old reg party? Haha. This makes me happy. You guys were and still are my heroes ever since I started posting here. I was the youngest reg on here and having you guys back then made me feel like having "older art brothers".

At 12/5/18 12:15 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: Doing anything under external pressure, no matter how much you enjoy it, will feel worse than doing it at your own leisure. It mostly pertains to how you handle pressure and other people's expectations. And the stuff you're working on is not always inspiring or fun. I can't count on fingers how many times I've received a boring brief attached to a "ref folder" full of Halo spartans.

Over time, there is also a large degree of quality control you start imposing on yourself. As your skills grow, your expectations of what you should be achieving grow, too. And sometimes those expectations are hard to meet, even if other people are happy with your work.

But yeah, burnout and art fatigue are pretty common among freelancers. You just kinda have to soldier thru it until the next cool project that inspires you. Or maybe a small lane switch might be in order. I added pixel art and animation to my repertoire to keep things fresh.

Yeah, what you're saying is very real and relatable to me. Especially the bit about reference folders. It really gets routine and menial at times when you've been working on the same project for months at a time but I still feel the need to finish it for the client and my own reputation. I could do some lane switching after I finish my current project, maybe something less straining.

At 12/5/18 05:57 PM, test-object wrote: Since we're sharing stories... I had a period similar to this. Once I left college, I felt like I had no-one to prove myself to anymore. The more people told me my art was great, the less I enjoyed making it. Even if I knew that I could improve much, much more, there was just no more reason for me to do it. At first I brushed it off as if it was just temporary blues, but after a while, I came to terms that it's a very real, painful and especially lonely step in life.

Eventually, I started thinking why I make art to begin with and reorganized. I decided to just casually make small art-pieces without uploading or showing anyone for myself, whilst sticking actual energy in my work as audiovisual artist. It honestly makes me much happier, even if I have little to show for it.

Being an artist isn't more important than your happiness, no matter what social media or art teachers tell you. Also, cut out any negative voices in your life, focus on what gives you hope or keeps you high. Hope this helps a little, it works for me.

Yeah I definitely feel the part of too many people leaning on your identity as an "artist". I guess it's all part of growing up and getting better, but for some reason getting to where I am makes me feel isolated from the rest of my peers. It's not that they're doing it intentionally but sometimes I feel that they just like to think that I'm a decent artist and they don't bother to get to know me as a person. Although I hope I'm wrong with this sentiment. Happiness seems like an unreachable height for me at the moment ever since I started having this illness, an illness which ironically became much of the catalyst that allowed me to go this far in the first place.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 22:40:41

At 12/5/18 09:29 PM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: Yeah, what you're saying is very real and relatable to me. Especially the bit about reference folders. It really gets routine and menial at times when you've been working on the same project for months at a time but I still feel the need to finish it for the client and my own reputation. I could do some lane switching after I finish my current project, maybe something less straining.

Give it a shot. You might find a new thing to be passionate about.

And about the artist identity thing: don't sweat it too much. That's just the reality of being anyone who "creates" anything for mass consumption. Especially in this day and age. Information zooms by us at a million bytes a second. Art and media are so readily available, people can scroll past entire lifetimes' worth of work in seconds. And the internet creates a degree of separation between art and artist. We are extremely unique in that we have our own styles and nuance. But not unique at all in that we produce entertainment for people to consume in a self-serving way. Most people will not care to find out much more about a piece of art than whether they like it or not. Depending on who you are, that can be an extremely hurtful or liberating thought.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 23:26:44

Hey everybody! Great seeing all of you kicking about in here. I don't have anything else to add to the current discussion, just wanted to let you all know that it's good to bask in the regs.

Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 00:06:49

At 12/5/18 11:26 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: Hey everybody! Great seeing all of you kicking about in here. I don't have anything else to add to the current discussion, just wanted to let you all know that it's good to bask in the regs.

Ditto! I've been snoopin

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 00:28:14 (edited 2018-12-06 00:29:14)

At 12/4/18 09:36 PM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: Yeah I decided to change my account...

wha? fifty? Hi! Nice to see you’re still about. Sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe reconnecting with some old friends will help your state of mind *hugs*

At 12/5/18 06:58 AM, Havegum wrote: Maybe now's the time to find time for drawing again? :o

Lol, I tried doing inktober this year and only made it to day 10 :( would love to get back to doing more for sure though! What are you up to these days?

At 12/5/18 08:06 AM, LoboF wrote: If only there was a chat room for the new artists to get know each other

Hey you! Ever get those nibs? 🤣

At 12/5/18 11:26 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: Hey everybody! Great seeing all of you kicking about in here. I don't have anything else to add to the current discussion, just wanted to let you all know that it's good to bask in the regs.

Hopefully some of the new folks (aka future regs) join in!

At 12/6/18 12:06 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Ditto! I've been snoopin

ZANE! ‘sup?

Hiya, Jess!

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 00:48:19

EVERYONES BACK! :D

Drawin' and being trash. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 02:58:10 (edited 2018-12-06 02:59:07)

hi friends! hi nae! what is up with all of your lives tell me

At 12/5/18 12:03 PM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: stuff

*hugs*

what do you want to be doing with your art, if capitalism wasn't a thing and you had a nice long vacation to recover from your burnout? would you wanna tell your own stories more?

At 12/5/18 12:15 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: I added pixel art and animation to my repertoire to keep things fresh.

ooh i'd love to see your pixel art

At 12/5/18 05:57 PM, test-object wrote: I decided to just casually make small art-pieces without uploading or showing anyone for myself, whilst sticking actual energy in my work as audiovisual artist. It honestly makes me much happier, even if I have little to show for it.

i know this is counter to what you're saying but hey i wanna see

hey everyone post an image from your life, doesn't have to be art

also any new kids on the block, you too

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 07:44:40

Hey everyone!

I'm keen to get back into art, its been too long since I last held a paintbrush.

I would love to get involved with you all more, its been too long!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 07:47:55

At 12/6/18 12:06 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Ditto! I've been snoopin

And still rocking the red shades, mm yes!

meow <3

Meow <3

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 07:52:44

At 12/6/18 12:28 AM, Nae wrote: Hey you! Ever get those nibs? 🤣

what, It's that THE Nae? i miss talking with you what have you been up to?
the nibs never arrived, some mailman can use his graphic table again i guess

At 12/6/18 02:58 AM, radiodark wrote: hi friends! hi nae! what is up with all of your lives tell me

I almost didn't finish college because of my anxiety but i managed to pull through, now i'm not sure what to do, right now i'm drawing some that i took to not get rusty, also i got a Wacon that's cool i guess

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 08:14:18

At 12/6/18 02:58 AM, radiodark wrote: *hugs*

what do you want to be doing with your art, if capitalism wasn't a thing and you had a nice long vacation to recover from your burnout? would you wanna tell your own stories more?

If it were up to me I wouldn't touch a brush for months, maybe even years. But that's not possible so I'd just keep drawing I guess.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 10:20:52

At 12/6/18 12:28 AM, Nae wrote: wha? fifty? Hi! Nice to see you’re still about. Sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe reconnecting with some old friends will help your state of mind *hugs*

I didn't see this post. Hi Nae! Man this all brings back some memories. I'm really happy I still get to interact with my old NG friends to an extent.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 10:37:37

Casual reminder for newbies to come read my guide for gloirious knowledge
Link is on my signature!

Too lazy to write everything back so enjoy the aesthetics

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 10:46:15

At 12/6/18 10:37 AM, solitonmedic wrote: Casual reminder for newbies to come read my guide for gloirious knowledge
Link is on my signature!

You are a saint!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 10:55:10

At 12/6/18 08:14 AM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: If it were up to me I wouldn't touch a brush for months, maybe even years. But that's not possible so I'd just keep drawing I guess.

Oof. Can you get a day job that isn't drawing? Sounds like you need it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 11:17:42

At 12/6/18 10:55 AM, radiodark wrote: Oof. Can you get a day job that isn't drawing? Sounds like you need it.

I probably can. I'll start weighing my options as soon as I finish my current project.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 11:32:04

At 12/6/18 07:52 AM, LoboF wrote:

This is the image of mah life

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 12:25:30

OH NO, I forgot to point out my art thread is Nsfw, any advice on what to do to fix this? D 8

Please visit my: |TWITTER| |TUMBLR| |INSTAGRAM|

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 15:03:29

At 12/6/18 12:28 AM, Nae wrote:
At 12/5/18 06:58 AM, Havegum wrote: Maybe now's the time to find time for drawing again? :o
Lol, I tried doing inktober this year and only made it to day 10 :( would love to get back to doing more for sure though! What are you up to these days?

I'm studying interaction design at my home university. It's fantastic! We spend a lot of time trying to find things that could be designed better, and then figuring out how to do that! It's been really cool to get into programming again although all I really use a pen for these days is sketching wireframes for prototyping ...

I've found programming is like ... really fun! I'm not particularly good at it but it's a blast to mess about with data visualization! A newspaper actually called me up about some work I did, so now I'm gonna work in Oslo for at least the summer doing data viz and storytelling!

Just gotta spend christmas getting used to the frameworks they're using D:

Next year I'll be working on storytelling in virtual reality and augmented realty, as well as taking a course in machine learning! Fun!

At 12/6/18 02:58 AM, radiodark wrote: hi friends! hi nae! what is up with all of your lives tell me

Here's some stuff from this year

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-06 22:48:57 (edited 2018-12-06 22:49:47)

At 12/6/18 03:03 PM, Havegum wrote: Stuff

Ooh info visualization that's so awesome! I love that shit. Information is beautiful.

At 12/6/18 12:25 PM, Kosuk wrote: OH NO, I forgot to point out my art thread is Nsfw, any advice on what to do to fix this? D 8

I think you have to make a new one and repost the same art- don't think even forum mods have the ability to retitle threads. Someone correct me if I'm wrong plz

At 12/6/18 11:32 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: This is the image of mah life

Oh my gosh what a cutie.

@TurkeyOnAStick what's new in your life?

gonna call y'all out individually one at a time

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-07 07:15:04

At 12/6/18 02:58 AM, radiodark wrote: ooh i'd love to see your pixel art

Sure. I mostly make functional stuff for games: tiles, characters, UI, etc.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-07 07:26:34

At 12/7/18 07:15 AM, CypressDahlia wrote:

Wow, that pixel art looks super clean.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-07 08:36:34

Thats really cool!

Drawin' and being trash. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-07 12:20:56

Thanks.

Learning pixel art really kept my interest in art alive the past couple years. Beyond learning foundations, painting became a matter of "how much time am I willing to spend rendering out this piece?" It wasn't as engaging as it used to be.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2019-01-09 01:16:19

That is some sweet pixel art.