00:00
00:00

Art Forum Lounge

809,744 Views | 17,729 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2017-10-10 22:03:58

At 10/10/17 01:36 AM, Template88 wrote: Even though you may not be familiar with some of the newer people, dont leave us out, some of us are OK. :C

I didn't mean that to exclude anyone, I'm hoping to re-assimilate back into the community :)

I balance work and art by doing art at work! I actually draw very little at home. Seems to be the most time efficient way to do it.

What kind of job do you have that you can do that?

At 10/10/17 08:48 PM, Akuaitance wrote: Also enough sleep/rest otherwise if you push ur time or self, somewhere along the week you'll crush and end up having another battle of motivation/continuing

Ain't that the truth

At 10/10/17 10:32 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Skip to months later, Im a flash animator in an outsource company. It might seem like I draw and art everyday, but mostly the library is there it becomes like "puppet animation." Its more than that of course, but I barely squeeze in creative time for myself. But I try to do them from time to time. I probably need a ton of gesture and master studies to het back in the groove of things. Still hanging on to that dream becomming an illutrator..

Also hai. :3

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig. I've heard similar stories from other people in the field about lacking time for yourself.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2017-10-11 00:25:55

At 10/10/17 09:11 PM, Akuaitance wrote:
At 10/10/17 10:32 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Skip to months later, Im a flash animator in an outsource company.
been always meaning to ask you, are you guys given a target in terms of frames or seconds per day/wk that you are supposed to animate or is it casual like so long as you meet a certain deadline everything is ok.

In an episode, there's a certain ammount of animators to do that episode. The fla's are split and spread out to those people and should be done and approved by our director to be sent to the client within three weeks.

This is only the animation side of things though. Theres also background, layout, scene assemblers, library artist, rough artist, and fx artist that goes to before it reaches to us animators at the studio. xD

Drawin' and being trash. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2017-10-11 07:35:27

At 10/10/17 10:03 PM, Temariix wrote:
At 10/10/17 01:36 AM, Template88 wrote: Even though you may not be familiar with some of the newer people, dont leave us out, some of us are OK. :C
I didn't mean that to exclude anyone, I'm hoping to re-assimilate back into the community :)

I balance work and art by doing art at work! I actually draw very little at home. Seems to be the most time efficient way to do it.
What kind of job do you have that you can do that?

I've had quite a few jobs where I was able to draw at work, typically night shift jobs though, or jobs where you have your own workstation. Definitely not a customer service job though.

You are not prepared...

Illustration/animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2017-10-12 20:30:06

Have you folks been participating in Inktober?
I was doing really well for a while but the past few days have proven difficult. It's a combination of being tired (mostly that) and having other responsibilities that come first. However, this Sunday is a big deal for me plus I'll have downtime that I could probably get some ink in.
I'm heading out to the local airport and I'll be doing a tandem skydive. It'll be my first jump since a hard landing over a year ago and my 20th overall. I'm scared and nervous. Happy and relieved. Terrified and excited. Maybe this isn't the right forum, but I feel like this could apply to anyone.If you let your fear run free, it'll rule you. Do not live life with regrets or at the least if you do, embrace them, learn from them!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2017-10-18 07:45:50

At 10/9/17 10:41 PM, Temariix wrote: Discussion topic: For those of you who made it out of high school and/or college, did you make your art your profession? If not, how do you keep your work/life/taxes/art balanced?

Dropped out of life to become a professional drunk. I'd give it a half-recommendation for a career choice. Pros and cons either way.

Gives you plenty of time for inktober though.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2017-10-22 01:12:30 (edited 2017-10-22 01:14:41)

At 10/9/17 10:41 PM, Temariix wrote: It appears as though there's a few friendly faces I know still meandering around here. To that I say hello!

@Temariix!!!!! Hello!

Discussion topic: For those of you who made it out of high school and/or college, did you make your art your profession? If not, how do you keep your work/life/taxes/art balanced?

Naaaah. I got out of art school and took one look at the fine arts scene and decided the endless hustle of schmoozing with rich folks in exchange for an unstable income was not for me, thank you very much.

Currently juggling an admin assistant day job with largely unpaid puppet and rock opera gigs. I'm pretty happy? I'm too busy and it's really hard to fit a personal life in with anyone but the folks I make art with, I guess, but I like not having to pick my projects based on what'll pay, in any case.

software developer for an ice cream company

rad! what kind of software does an ice cream company need?

collect hobbies

ooh whatcha hobbies, go on

getting back into painting

<3 <3 <3

How'd the skydive go?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2017-10-25 21:02:35

At 10/18/17 07:45 AM, Lintire wrote: Dropped out of life to become a professional drunk. I'd give it a half-recommendation for a career choice. Pros and cons either way.

I did that for a while! Got expensive...

Gives you plenty of time for inktober though.

I have a habit of getting drunk and then just watching stupid youtube videos but you are not wrong.

At 10/22/17 01:12 AM, radiodark wrote: I'm pretty happy? I'm too busy and it's really hard to fit a personal life in with anyone but the folks I make art with, I guess, but I like not having to pick my projects based on what'll pay, in any case.

Can relate....

rad! what kind of software does an ice cream company need?

All kinds! Inventory, warehousing, processing, supply chain, finance, reporting, customer services, sales, etc

collect hobbies
ooh whatcha hobbies, go on

Oh gosh. Uh... well, I did fencing for a few years and kind of stopped after college (then especially after my accident), then I started skydiving (until the accident), I started designing cakes in high school but I've been getting more serious about it, hiking, biking, running, cooking on a regular basis, assorted crafts, gardening (that took up a huge amount of my time this summer), helping run an internal publication at my job, and I'm sure others that I've forgotten.

How'd the skydive go?

The jump itself was amazing, it was everything I've been missing lately. I even got to fly through a cloud on the way down - just a little guy but it still counts :) The problem was when we were coming in to land. I panicked. I absolutely love the sport but if I can't get over that fear of the ground I'm not sure what I'm going to do. They have a first jump course this Saturday and I'm thinking about going but at the same time I think I need to give up the sport. I know I just said don't let fear run your life but being the analytical person I am, I'm not sure how to safely overcome it. "Safely" is the key word
because if I have some kind of panic and fail to properly land, I'm going to end up in a world of hurt. The risks are high. It's frustrating because the logical side of my brain says "let it go, you had your fun and it isn't worth the risk" and the other side is saying "yeah but it's so much fun let's have more".

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-04-05 14:23:14

At 4/5/18 01:15 PM, Larkatosa wrote: I don't know how many people are left here but...

Hey, Hi, Welcome! Looking forward to seeing you around.

Hire a professional artist today!

https://www.fiverr.com/users/mabelma

With MabsArts you can't go wrong, positivity, love and kindness is our motto.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-04-06 23:55:52

At 4/5/18 01:15 PM, Larkatosa wrote: I don't know how many people are left here but. I wanted to bump in and say hi. Hello everyone. I've started drawing again and wanted to connect back to the forum. I am going seriously into art and I am hoping of greatly improving, though it could be good to get feedback from other artists. I hope everyone is doing great, of those who are still here.

Hey there. Welcome to the forums. I still lurk from time to time. Finding almost no free time with work amd stuff..

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-04-09 15:34:23

At 4/6/18 11:55 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Hey there. Welcome to the forums. I still lurk from time to time. Finding almost no free time with work amd stuff..

Same, but hey, have fun I'm sure we're gonna be having time to post soon :)

Hire a professional artist today!

https://www.fiverr.com/users/mabelma

With MabsArts you can't go wrong, positivity, love and kindness is our motto.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-04-12 18:24:22

At 4/5/18 01:15 PM, Larkatosa wrote: Stuff

Oh hi Lark!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-04-13 02:49:52

At 4/5/18 01:15 PM, Larkatosa wrote: I wanted to bump in and say hi.

Hey Lark. I'm trying to get into the swing of things too. Thought I would start with a few newgrounds art competitions as they have goals and deadlines to motivate me. Why not have a go as well?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-04-13 08:01:50 (edited 2018-04-13 08:02:22)

At 4/13/18 02:49 AM, LegolaSS wrote: Hey Lark. I'm trying to get into the swing of things too. Thought I would start with a few newgrounds art competitions as they have goals and deadlines to motivate me. Why not have a go as well?
At 4/12/18 06:24 PM, radiodark wrote: Oh hi Lark!

2 people I havent seen here in a long time! D:
How have you guis been?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-04-13 11:58:13

At 4/13/18 08:01 AM, 123mine123 wrote: 2 people I havent seen here in a long time! D:
How have you guis been?

Super busy as always, trying to find time to do this picture for the current contest, note that my sketch looks nothing like the final one at the moment. i do like the original idea more but i think the final idea im working on works better.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-04-19 18:45:21

At 4/13/18 08:01 AM, 123mine123 wrote: 2 people I havent seen here in a long time! D:
How have you guis been?

I've been good! Working long hours but I went camping last weekend and I'm about to model for a fashion show wearing an enormous hamburglar-type giant puppet head next Saturday. How are you?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-08-18 12:27:56

sup?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-08-18 18:38:00

I havent been here in ages. Not just the BBS but Newgrounds in general. Hopefully back for a bit now. Just threw something up in the art portal for the first time in years and got a bunch of 1 and 2 votes :P Never change NG,

instagram.com/kumquat_cloud

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-04 18:39:36

Probably comical coming from me, but it seemed like a good time to bump this for all the new arrivals who might be feeling a bit shy/intimidated or nervous about posting. This place can be overwhelming at first.

Feel free to introduce yourselves, chit-chat, ask any questions or just say hello here!

Also, hello @havegum!

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-04 21:17:08

This thread brings a lot of memories. The fact that this forum is buzzing again makes it feel like it was in the past.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-04 21:32:15

At 12/4/18 09:17 PM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: This thread brings a lot of memories. The fact that this forum is buzzing again makes it feel like it was in the past.

Yeh.. it brings a lot of memories. This is where I started learning how to draw and back then, it wasnt as empty as it slowly became.
It feels so weird to find new people and doing introduction threads in this mass amount.
Also, whats up fifty?! How have you been? You changed ur user name. :0

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-04 21:36:22

At 12/4/18 09:32 PM, 123mine123 wrote:
At 12/4/18 09:17 PM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: This thread brings a lot of memories. The fact that this forum is buzzing again makes it feel like it was in the past.
Yeh.. it brings a lot of memories. This is where I started learning how to draw and back then, it wasnt as empty as it slowly became.
It feels so weird to find new people and doing introduction threads in this mass amount.
Also, whats up fifty?! How have you been? You changed ur user name. :0

Yeah I decided to change my account since that account was full of cringy shit I'd rather not people associate me with. I've been well.

I'm a big boy now.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 00:44:17 (edited 2018-12-05 00:44:30)

Dang y'all, how are your lives? Fifty, are you drawing for a living these days?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 06:58:09

At 12/4/18 06:39 PM, Nae wrote: Also, hello @havegum!

Hey Nae!

Maybe now's the time to find time for drawing again? :o

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 07:23:19

At 12/5/18 06:58 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 12/4/18 06:39 PM, Nae wrote: Also, hello @havegum!
Hey Nae!

Maybe now's the time to find time for drawing again? :o

Gumby! You're alive! OMG I missed you. D:

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 07:26:11 (edited 2018-12-05 07:26:34)

At 12/5/18 12:44 AM, radiodark wrote: Dang y'all, how are your lives? Fifty, are you drawing for a living these days?

Yeah I'm pretty much doing art as a career now. I illustrate a lot of shit for money. Mostly comics.

I hate my life

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 07:45:45

At 12/5/18 07:26 AM, MagtiraPaolo wrote:
At 12/5/18 12:44 AM, radiodark wrote: Dang y'all, how are your lives? Fifty, are you drawing for a living these days?
Yeah I'm pretty much doing art as a career now. I illustrate a lot of shit for money. Mostly comics.
I hate my life

Oh man. I feel your pain...
Getting in the art industry will always be about overtime and deadlines. And if youre also not being treated fairly..
It really sucks out the fun in art..

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 07:48:27 (edited 2018-12-05 07:49:22)

At 12/5/18 07:45 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Oh man. I feel your pain...
Getting in the art industry will always be about overtime and deadlines. And if youre also not being treated fairly..
It really sucks out the fun in art..

I guess I'm treated relatively okay, not really exploited. However art isn't as fun as it used to be. Deadlines are always creeping up to me and I always have to deal with editors. It's not all bad I guess but there are times when I think that this was a mistake.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 08:01:39

At 12/5/18 07:48 AM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: [...] However art isn't as fun as it used to be.

I sometimes worry about this. Does working with what I love mean that spark will start to fade? Though maybe there's more freedom after some time working?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 08:06:29

If only there was a chat room for the new artists to get know each other

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2018-12-05 08:07:30

At 12/5/18 08:01 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 12/5/18 07:48 AM, MagtiraPaolo wrote: [...] However art isn't as fun as it used to be.
I sometimes worry about this. Does working with what I love mean that spark will start to fade? Though maybe there's more freedom after some time working?

Personally I think this is because my views on art changed throughout the years compared to when I started. I even went to university for art. I guess I lost my childlike wonder for making images when I got desensitised in my years studying and eventually graduating. These days I think drawing is bothersome because I mostly draw just to get a story or a message across.

I realised sometime in the middle of studying in art school that I don't actually like drawing as much as I thought. Now I'm stuck doing a career doing something that I think is too much of a bother to do sometimes.