Be a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

  • 767,363 Views
  • 17,654 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:14:00 Reply

At 3/3/15 07:55 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I'm not going to bitch in the thread, but oh my god, March's Challenge of the Month contest topic. Eugh, I feel filthy looking at it.

I don't get it.
Can you explain it to me?

Sorry, I don't use and know anything about netflix. :C


:3

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:34:11 Reply

At 3/3/15 08:14 AM, 123mine123 wrote: I don't get it.
Can you explain it to me?

Sorry, I don't use and know anything about netflix. :C

Netflix is a service where you pay a subscription to watch shows and certain films on demand by streaming it on the internet.

This is a corporate marketing campaign dressed up as a contest, to drum up attention for Netflix-only shows to the artists participating, people watching the art portal, viewers of Jazza's vids, and ultimately other NG users when these pics gets frontpaged on NG at the end of the month.

The topic is something where you have to toss your artistic dignity out of the window in order to win an XBox and Netflix subscription - things that don't encourage the improvement of artists.


BBS Signature
JojoDodo
JojoDodo
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:40:29 Reply

At 3/3/15 08:34 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
This is a corporate marketing campaign dressed up as a contest

Yeahh....i was kind of surprised that the monthly contest took that direction. Is it the first time yet?


It's dangerous to go alone! Take this: NG art chat//Art tutorials

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:51:01 Reply

At 3/3/15 08:34 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The topic is something where you have to toss your artistic dignity out of the window in order to win an XBox and Netflix subscription - things that don't encourage the improvement of artists.

Selling out you say... WELL CALL ME THE CORPORATE BIKE BECAUSE I'LL GIVE ANYONE A RIDE.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:52:54 Reply

At 3/3/15 08:40 AM, JojoDodo wrote: Yeahh....i was kind of surprised that the monthly contest took that direction. Is it the first time yet?

It's the only time that the presence of the corporate sponsor is dripping over the topic itself - and I say this for all of the contests (art and otherwise) that I've seen on NG.

I'm aware that Wacom is also a sponsor, but their presence in an art contest is more appreciable (even though the winner is likely to have a tablet anyway).


BBS Signature
JojoDodo
JojoDodo
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 09:19:57 Reply

Yeah...and I'm guessing that it gets a lot of attention only because of the prizes, since other cool threads like the COW thingy and the I'll draw your charachter my style don't get much love. But oh, well...

@M-maher you, sir, are the tits. keep awesome.


It's dangerous to go alone! Take this: NG art chat//Art tutorials

Daverom
Daverom
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 13:09:00 (edited 2015-03-03 13:09:36) Reply

The prizes are a huge deal in terms of drumming up interest for the contest. But it's also that jazza has a pretty sizable youtube following that kind of artificially increases participation. There are plenty of artists that enter his contests that submit to newgrounds specifically for them and then evaporate back into the aether.

As for this month itself. I don't see it as a huge deal. Yet.
1 month to give an unorthodox, not really art related in any way prize, I think is fine. We'll see where it goes from here.

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 16:25:04 Reply

I'm perfectly fine with the corporate sponsorship going on in the new competition thread, I actually think its great to have such a big backing behind a contest especially here on Newgrounds. What annoys me is the choice of theme for the competition, Australian Netflix characters? What the fuck does that even mean, we're just going get a bunch of drawings of Kevin Spacey/whatever character riding a kangaroo or cosplaying as Crocodile Dundee. A much better one that would still cohesively tie to Netflix would be something like a 1950's style poster for Netflix's original series' or something like that. The choice of theme is just odd, kinda dumb, and really creatively limiting .


Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 16:59:22 Reply

At 3/3/15 04:25 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: Wise words

I absolutely agree. Sponsorship is not an bad word, but the theme is outright ugly.
Besides, Australian Netflix would be censored anyway.


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 17:35:56 Reply

At 3/3/15 04:25 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: What annoys me is the choice of theme for the competition, Australian Netflix characters? What the fuck does that even mean

Yeah, I think they're basically trying to force that it's Jazza's contest "not" Netflix's contest, and since Jazza is Australian, hurr-durr make the characters Australian.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-04 17:07:52 Reply

Um so idk if this has been posted here already, but Nickelodeon is doing an artist internship program for character design and storyboarding, which is pretty cool

TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-04 17:24:58 Reply

Just keep drawing because that shit is important. Nothing else matters.


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-04 18:16:05 Reply

Netflix doesn't even launch in Australia for another month, I'm going to have to google this shit.

At 3/4/15 05:24 PM, TaraGraphics wrote: Just keep drawing because that shit is important. Nothing else matters.

Personally, I'm going to draw something because I want an Xbone.

TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-04 18:24:04 Reply

At 3/4/15 06:16 PM, Lintire wrote: Netflix doesn't even launch in Australia for another month, I'm going to have to google this shit.

At 3/4/15 05:24 PM, TaraGraphics wrote: Just keep drawing because that shit is important. Nothing else matters.
Personally, I'm going to draw something because I want an Xbone.

No, you must draw from the heart. You need to see from your peripheral vision that there is always a corner that something or someone is waiting for you to accept it. Now go to that corner and smell that 90 degree angle of life after death.


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-04 21:54:07 Reply

At 3/4/15 06:24 PM, TaraGraphics wrote: No, you must draw from the heart. You need to see from your peripheral vision that there is always a corner that something or someone is waiting for you to accept it. Now go to that corner and smell that 90 degree angle of life after death.

That sound like the new xbox smell ;)


BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 05:23:07 (edited 2015-03-05 05:25:23) Reply

At 3/4/15 05:24 PM, TaraGraphics wrote: Just keep drawing because that shit is important. Nothing else matters.

Yeah, but your own interests come first. I'd rather do 4 of these indie game fanart than a Netflix promotion that will likely produce a dreadful picture. In both topics there is no guarantee you will win, so it's a question about what you're going to get out of it.


BBS Signature
TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 05:52:17 Reply

At 3/5/15 05:23 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 3/4/15 05:24 PM, TaraGraphics wrote: Just keep drawing because that shit is important. Nothing else matters.
Yeah, but your own interests come first. I'd rather do 4 of these indie game fanart than a Netflix promotion that will likely produce a dreadful picture. In both topics there is no guarantee you will win, so it's a question about what you're going to get out of it.

No, you doing it not to win, but to improve oneself. The harder the topic, the better the challenge. Drawing something new, is better than drawing something that you like, over and over again. Winning, has nothing to do with it. What you get is experience. If you really want to win, then prove yourself that you can win. It's not about how good your drawing is, its about how good you can be at drawing and move forward. That's how winning is done.


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

Zolen
Zolen
  • Member since: May. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:04:05 Reply

I am all for new challenges when it comes to art, go in a new direction you don't normally go, and you tend to advance in skill a lot faster.

But this is less a challenging direction, and more just a meh direction of stuff half the people here would have to google to know about.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:26:09 (edited 2015-03-05 06:27:22) Reply

At 3/5/15 05:52 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: No, you doing it not to win, but to improve oneself. The harder the topic, the better the challenge. Winning, has nothing to do with it. It's not about how good your drawing is, its about how good you can be at drawing and move forward. That's how winning is done.

That's cute, but I'm really only in it for the Xbox.

TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:43:26 Reply

At 3/5/15 06:26 AM, Lintire wrote: That's cute, but I'm really only in it for the Xbox.

No, you smell that corner! Smell it!


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:46:35 Reply

At 3/5/15 06:04 AM, Zolen wrote: I am all for new challenges when it comes to art, go in a new direction you don't normally go, and you tend to advance in skill a lot faster.

But this is less a challenging direction, and more just a meh direction of stuff half the people here would have to google to know about.

The only thing that is stopping you is you yourself, don't let yourself get you. You need to hit yourself in order to proceed to a better life and love. Kill that shadow clone of yours, he's limiting your full power.


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:58:14 Reply

At 3/5/15 06:46 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: The only thing that is stopping you is you yourself, don't let yourself get you. You need to hit yourself in order to proceed to a better life and love. Kill that shadow clone of yours, he's limiting your full power.

The reason I'm doing Jazza's chellenge of the months is because I know I would lose and rather spend time drawing something I like anyway.
The themes somehow is always something I don't really feel like doing. Especially the fact the people who's always winning are really professional looking artists.


:3

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:16:32 Reply

At 3/5/15 05:52 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: No, you doing it not to win, but to improve oneself. The harder the topic, the better the challenge. Drawing something new, is better than drawing something that you like, over and over again.

You can learn from anything if you have a goal.
Drawing an Australian Netflix pic isn't going to be hard, but the ideas will be absolute shit.


BBS Signature
TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:19:26 Reply

At 3/5/15 06:58 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
The reason I'm doing Jazza's chellenge of the months is because I know I would lose and rather spend time drawing something I like anyway.
The themes somehow is always something I don't really feel like doing. Especially the fact the people who's always winning are really professional looking artists.

Those are myths. Mythological assumptions my dear fellow. Y'see, if you give up in the beginning, you most likely will lose. pronto. ditto. done. But, what many others don't have is the will to move forward. Going to the distance. Practice. Complaining will get you nowhere. They say society brought you down. No, It is not their fault that you didn't win. It's your fault for not doing the best you can. Prove yourself that you can be among those ranks who belittle your drawing skills, or even better, surpass them! Praises are like health potion, and critics are like damage points. You are in an adventure game, and you need to keep on grinding those levels to be the best. Move forward. If there is a problem, FIX IT. If you can't fix it, ask for some help, guidance, learn from the mistakes. No one is stopping you but yourself.


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:23:43 Reply

At 3/5/15 07:16 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: You can learn from anything if you have a goal.
Drawing an Australian Netflix pic isn't going to be hard, but the ideas will be absolute shit.

That's where you are wrong. Ideas, are never wrong or right, it's either you do it, to make it a good idea or complain and make a bad one.

Your choice. But why give up so early, Anything could be a good idea, you just need the will to make it good.


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:30:27 Reply

At 3/5/15 07:19 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: Y'see, if you give up in the beginning, you most likely will lose. pronto. ditto. done.

Nah nothing like that. I mean, I can if I tried and just something for the heck of it.
Like you know, in race, its not really about winning but the race of getting at the finish line.
But, I feel the race in this is something not worth entering. I'm not gonna have fun doing it, so why even bother and force myself to..

No one is stopping you but yourself.

I've busied myself with various daily sketches. It seems those events without any prizes and doing the best you could is better than something with a prize and the goal of getting something in return because of being the best.. AROUND..
NOTHING'S EVER GONNA KEEP YOU DOWN!

I don't know what happened there..

Anyway, this specific challenge of Jazza doesn't even have a huge active community to it.
There's so many people participating that no one will even critique it because of how fast it goes by in the video.
And if you searched it via the tag, it will most likely be ignored if it sucks and stuff that's looks good will be praised and commented on.

idk


:3

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:41:31 (edited 2015-03-05 07:45:38) Reply

At 3/5/15 07:23 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: That's where you are wrong. Ideas, are never wrong or right, it's either you do it, to make it a good idea or complain and make a bad one.
Your choice. But why give up so early, Anything could be a good idea, you just need the will to make it good.

The rhetoric is getting a bit tiresome for me.
I want to get back to what the topic is about:
- There are bad ideas. Forcibly cramming in Subject A into Subject B is horrible. Particularly when
- People know very little about Subject B (Netflix exclusives) anyway, and
- The whole thing is just a promotion to get people to do research and desire Netflix.

People love receiving odd ideas and pushing themselves out of comfort zones. That's why artists in this forum do Art Whore topics. But don't defend this thread, since the only thing it that has over a random idea generator is a large prize pool for t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ five people.


BBS Signature
TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:50:00 Reply

At 3/5/15 07:30 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
But, I feel the race in this is something not worth entering. I'm not gonna have fun doing it, so why even bother and force myself to..

Of course, It's up to you to join or not. Doing what you love is important. But when you say, not worth entering, or there's no fun into it, that shouldn't be what you should be thinking. It's about drawing things that are different. If it's not fun to do, Make it fun! Create something that is different. Inspire people. If it's not worth entering, make it worth it! Push it to the limit! Walk around the razor edge, but don't look down, just keep your head, and you'll be finished!

And if you searched it via the tag, it will most likely be ignored if it sucks and stuff that's looks good will be praised and commented on.

Your mostly right there. I'm not gonna lie about that. But, your're not here for the praises. Your here to improve yourself. Impress yourself first, before others. Like I said, It's not their fault for making people ignore the artwork that sucks. It's our own fault that it sucks in the beginning. SO how to fix that problem? Practice. Keep going. Move forward. Do what you can to earned the views or comments, or praises. Actually, critiques are better:D


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

TaraGraphika
TaraGraphika
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:57:22 Reply

At 3/5/15 07:41 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
The rhetoric is getting a bit tiresome for me.
I want to get back to what the topic is about:
- There are bad ideas. Forcibly cramming in Subject A into Subject B is horrible. Particularly when
- People know very little about Subject B (Netflix exclusives) anyway, and
- The whole thing is just a promotion to get people to do research and desire Netflix.

People love receiving odd ideas and pushing themselves out of comfort zones. That's why artists in this forum do Art Whore topics. But don't defend this thread, since the only thing it that has over a random idea generator is a large prize pool for t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ five people.

Haha, there's two things, force and fit. Fitting in perfectly, and forcing like it doesn't make sense. Why force, when you can fit it nicely? Like I said, anything has the potential to be a good idea if you have the will to do so. Never be afraid of change. Even if those subjects are boring and uninspiring. That's where artist comes in. To make it different. To make it better. That's why they do research. that's why they ask questions.

But, at the end of the day, its all up to the individual.


@~~Little Mascot Rocks~~@

Zolen
Zolen
  • Member since: May. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 08:05:50 Reply

At 3/5/15 07:50 AM, TaraGraphics wrote:
Your mostly right there. I'm not gonna lie about that. But, your're not here for the praises. Your here to improve yourself. Impress yourself first, before others. Like I said, It's not their fault for making people ignore the artwork that sucks. It's our own fault that it sucks in the beginning. SO how to fix that problem? Practice. Keep going. Move forward. Do what you can to earned the views or comments, or praises. Actually, critiques are better:D

People don't post their junk online because they want to impress themselves, they already saw their scribbles, when it goes on-line they are looking for praise and critics. To boost their ego or to spot problems they might have failed to catch themselves.