00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

957,812 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-04 18:24:04

At 3/4/15 06:16 PM, Lintire wrote: Netflix doesn't even launch in Australia for another month, I'm going to have to google this shit.

At 3/4/15 05:24 PM, TaraGraphics wrote: Just keep drawing because that shit is important. Nothing else matters.
Personally, I'm going to draw something because I want an Xbone.

No, you must draw from the heart. You need to see from your peripheral vision that there is always a corner that something or someone is waiting for you to accept it. Now go to that corner and smell that 90 degree angle of life after death.

Support me on my Patreon!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-04 21:54:07

At 3/4/15 06:24 PM, TaraGraphics wrote: No, you must draw from the heart. You need to see from your peripheral vision that there is always a corner that something or someone is waiting for you to accept it. Now go to that corner and smell that 90 degree angle of life after death.

That sound like the new xbox smell ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 05:23:07 (edited 2015-03-05 05:25:23)

At 3/4/15 05:24 PM, TaraGraphics wrote: Just keep drawing because that shit is important. Nothing else matters.

Yeah, but your own interests come first. I'd rather do 4 of these indie game fanart than a Netflix promotion that will likely produce a dreadful picture. In both topics there is no guarantee you will win, so it's a question about what you're going to get out of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 05:52:17

At 3/5/15 05:23 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Yeah, but your own interests come first. I'd rather do 4 of these indie game fanart than a Netflix promotion that will likely produce a dreadful picture. In both topics there is no guarantee you will win, so it's a question about what you're going to get out of it.

No, you doing it not to win, but to improve oneself. The harder the topic, the better the challenge. Drawing something new, is better than drawing something that you like, over and over again. Winning, has nothing to do with it. What you get is experience. If you really want to win, then prove yourself that you can win. It's not about how good your drawing is, its about how good you can be at drawing and move forward. That's how winning is done.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:04:05

I am all for new challenges when it comes to art, go in a new direction you don't normally go, and you tend to advance in skill a lot faster.

But this is less a challenging direction, and more just a meh direction of stuff half the people here would have to google to know about.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:26:09 (edited 2015-03-05 06:27:22)

At 3/5/15 05:52 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: No, you doing it not to win, but to improve oneself. The harder the topic, the better the challenge. Winning, has nothing to do with it. It's not about how good your drawing is, its about how good you can be at drawing and move forward. That's how winning is done.

That's cute, but I'm really only in it for the Xbox.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:43:26

At 3/5/15 06:26 AM, Lintire wrote: That's cute, but I'm really only in it for the Xbox.

No, you smell that corner! Smell it!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:46:35

At 3/5/15 06:04 AM, Zolen wrote: I am all for new challenges when it comes to art, go in a new direction you don't normally go, and you tend to advance in skill a lot faster.

But this is less a challenging direction, and more just a meh direction of stuff half the people here would have to google to know about.

The only thing that is stopping you is you yourself, don't let yourself get you. You need to hit yourself in order to proceed to a better life and love. Kill that shadow clone of yours, he's limiting your full power.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 06:58:14

At 3/5/15 06:46 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: The only thing that is stopping you is you yourself, don't let yourself get you. You need to hit yourself in order to proceed to a better life and love. Kill that shadow clone of yours, he's limiting your full power.

The reason I'm doing Jazza's chellenge of the months is because I know I would lose and rather spend time drawing something I like anyway.
The themes somehow is always something I don't really feel like doing. Especially the fact the people who's always winning are really professional looking artists.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:16:32

At 3/5/15 05:52 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: No, you doing it not to win, but to improve oneself. The harder the topic, the better the challenge. Drawing something new, is better than drawing something that you like, over and over again.

You can learn from anything if you have a goal.
Drawing an Australian Netflix pic isn't going to be hard, but the ideas will be absolute shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:19:26

At 3/5/15 06:58 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
The reason I'm doing Jazza's chellenge of the months is because I know I would lose and rather spend time drawing something I like anyway.
The themes somehow is always something I don't really feel like doing. Especially the fact the people who's always winning are really professional looking artists.

Those are myths. Mythological assumptions my dear fellow. Y'see, if you give up in the beginning, you most likely will lose. pronto. ditto. done. But, what many others don't have is the will to move forward. Going to the distance. Practice. Complaining will get you nowhere. They say society brought you down. No, It is not their fault that you didn't win. It's your fault for not doing the best you can. Prove yourself that you can be among those ranks who belittle your drawing skills, or even better, surpass them! Praises are like health potion, and critics are like damage points. You are in an adventure game, and you need to keep on grinding those levels to be the best. Move forward. If there is a problem, FIX IT. If you can't fix it, ask for some help, guidance, learn from the mistakes. No one is stopping you but yourself.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:23:43

At 3/5/15 07:16 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: You can learn from anything if you have a goal.
Drawing an Australian Netflix pic isn't going to be hard, but the ideas will be absolute shit.

That's where you are wrong. Ideas, are never wrong or right, it's either you do it, to make it a good idea or complain and make a bad one.

Your choice. But why give up so early, Anything could be a good idea, you just need the will to make it good.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:30:27

At 3/5/15 07:19 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: Y'see, if you give up in the beginning, you most likely will lose. pronto. ditto. done.

Nah nothing like that. I mean, I can if I tried and just something for the heck of it.
Like you know, in race, its not really about winning but the race of getting at the finish line.
But, I feel the race in this is something not worth entering. I'm not gonna have fun doing it, so why even bother and force myself to..

No one is stopping you but yourself.

I've busied myself with various daily sketches. It seems those events without any prizes and doing the best you could is better than something with a prize and the goal of getting something in return because of being the best.. AROUND..
NOTHING'S EVER GONNA KEEP YOU DOWN!

I don't know what happened there..

Anyway, this specific challenge of Jazza doesn't even have a huge active community to it.
There's so many people participating that no one will even critique it because of how fast it goes by in the video.
And if you searched it via the tag, it will most likely be ignored if it sucks and stuff that's looks good will be praised and commented on.

idk

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:41:31 (edited 2015-03-05 07:45:38)

At 3/5/15 07:23 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: That's where you are wrong. Ideas, are never wrong or right, it's either you do it, to make it a good idea or complain and make a bad one.
Your choice. But why give up so early, Anything could be a good idea, you just need the will to make it good.

The rhetoric is getting a bit tiresome for me.
I want to get back to what the topic is about:
- There are bad ideas. Forcibly cramming in Subject A into Subject B is horrible. Particularly when
- People know very little about Subject B (Netflix exclusives) anyway, and
- The whole thing is just a promotion to get people to do research and desire Netflix.

People love receiving odd ideas and pushing themselves out of comfort zones. That's why artists in this forum do Art Whore topics. But don't defend this thread, since the only thing it that has over a random idea generator is a large prize pool for t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ five people.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:50:00

At 3/5/15 07:30 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
But, I feel the race in this is something not worth entering. I'm not gonna have fun doing it, so why even bother and force myself to..

Of course, It's up to you to join or not. Doing what you love is important. But when you say, not worth entering, or there's no fun into it, that shouldn't be what you should be thinking. It's about drawing things that are different. If it's not fun to do, Make it fun! Create something that is different. Inspire people. If it's not worth entering, make it worth it! Push it to the limit! Walk around the razor edge, but don't look down, just keep your head, and you'll be finished!

And if you searched it via the tag, it will most likely be ignored if it sucks and stuff that's looks good will be praised and commented on.

Your mostly right there. I'm not gonna lie about that. But, your're not here for the praises. Your here to improve yourself. Impress yourself first, before others. Like I said, It's not their fault for making people ignore the artwork that sucks. It's our own fault that it sucks in the beginning. SO how to fix that problem? Practice. Keep going. Move forward. Do what you can to earned the views or comments, or praises. Actually, critiques are better:D

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 07:57:22

At 3/5/15 07:41 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
The rhetoric is getting a bit tiresome for me.
I want to get back to what the topic is about:
- There are bad ideas. Forcibly cramming in Subject A into Subject B is horrible. Particularly when
- People know very little about Subject B (Netflix exclusives) anyway, and
- The whole thing is just a promotion to get people to do research and desire Netflix.

People love receiving odd ideas and pushing themselves out of comfort zones. That's why artists in this forum do Art Whore topics. But don't defend this thread, since the only thing it that has over a random idea generator is a large prize pool for t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ five people.

Haha, there's two things, force and fit. Fitting in perfectly, and forcing like it doesn't make sense. Why force, when you can fit it nicely? Like I said, anything has the potential to be a good idea if you have the will to do so. Never be afraid of change. Even if those subjects are boring and uninspiring. That's where artist comes in. To make it different. To make it better. That's why they do research. that's why they ask questions.

But, at the end of the day, its all up to the individual.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 08:05:50

At 3/5/15 07:50 AM, TaraGraphics wrote:
Your mostly right there. I'm not gonna lie about that. But, your're not here for the praises. Your here to improve yourself. Impress yourself first, before others. Like I said, It's not their fault for making people ignore the artwork that sucks. It's our own fault that it sucks in the beginning. SO how to fix that problem? Practice. Keep going. Move forward. Do what you can to earned the views or comments, or praises. Actually, critiques are better:D

People don't post their junk online because they want to impress themselves, they already saw their scribbles, when it goes on-line they are looking for praise and critics. To boost their ego or to spot problems they might have failed to catch themselves.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 08:12:12

At 3/5/15 08:05 AM, Zolen wrote:
At 3/5/15 07:50 AM, TaraGraphics wrote:
People don't post their junk online because they want to impress themselves, they already saw their scribbles, when it goes on-line they are looking for praise and critics. To boost their ego or to spot problems they might have failed to catch themselves.

What I meant about 'impress yourself' is by confidently, knowing that you acknowledge that your drawing is good. If you know it's bad, then of course you can assume that people will ignore it and would not praise/critique/comment. So how to fix it? practice, keep going. Push it to limit.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 08:20:06

At 3/5/15 07:50 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: Make it fun! Create something that is different. Inspire people. If it's not worth entering, make it worth it! Push it to the limit! Walk around the razor edge, but don't look down, just keep your head, and you'll be finished!

This is.. my problem.
As you know, I'm still trying to learn.
If I wanted to make it fun for me, my ideas wouldn't really convey well on paper.
That's is why I would rather do something that would improve my skills rather than join in a contest.
Daily sketches event would be fine for me because there really isnt any standard on how good it should be and that makes me more creative.
This specific contest is not for me right now.

SO how to fix that problem? Practice. Keep going. Move forward. Do what you can to earned the views or comments, or praises. Actually, critiques are better:D

That is why I said the sucky art will be ignored and the good ones are praised.
The bad ones aren't critiqued at all. Well sometimes it gets maybe a feedback, but most of the time, it's literally ignored.
The good ones will get more attention and probably some feedback, but its usually, "wow, omg, this is great, 8/8."

As much as I like you Tara, I agree with TOAS.
I can see your side of things, I really do. But I'm not ready for that.

As for TOAS' argument, this specific challenge is literally a business move thing from Netflix.
Even if I have the same attitude as you, I wouldn't join this event if it means supporting Netflix. huehueheu.
Also, I don't know anything about netflix. I don't have the means of using it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-05 08:35:52

At 3/5/15 08:20 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
This is.. my problem.

You are so humble and polite. Alright, I guess I was trying too hard to express my enthusiasm. But, hey, Trying is worth while isn't it? You can do it. You don't know if you don't try is what I'm arguing. I don't have Netflix too. But that doesn't stop me from drawing. As an individual. What we care is to improve ourselves. So who cares if netflix is this or that. What's important is that you keep drawing. That's important.

Always remember in art, there is no right or wrong. Just the different perspective of people. Never give up. There is no bad art. There are only art that is not the interest of the public because of certain variables and constants.

Thanks for liking me...

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-18 21:00:08

http://digitalcollections.tcd.ie/home/index.php?DRIS_ID=MS58_003v&utm_expid=68026435-1.utkesif9QkKG0Mll18G2NQ.0

So you can have a look at the book of kells online if you're into ancient Irish gospel art. theres some really nice designs in here, really nice patterns, really nice calligraphy, incredibly decorative, some good study as far as art history goes.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-09 03:10:17

I hate you.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-09 03:33:21

At 4/9/15 03:10 AM, CloudObler wrote: I hate you.

I love you, CloudObler!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-16 05:03:08

http://8ch.net/co/res/143150.html

If you need it theres a Drawfag Resource Thread over at 8chan's /co/ that seems to be rife with stuff, take a look, take a gander, you'll probably find something you need.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-26 02:35:05

Quick, opinions!
So I've been taking some art classes and now that I'm older and more open to actually fully utilizing the skills in being taught I'm considering applying to a pricy art school, should I just stick to junior college and build my portfolio/network from there or take that leap?

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-27 09:30:18

At 4/26/15 02:35 AM, Knocturne wrote: Quick, opinions!
So I've been taking some art classes and now that I'm older and more open to actually fully utilizing the skills in being taught I'm considering applying to a pricy art school, should I just stick to junior college and build my portfolio/network from there or take that leap?

That is up to you dude, question is are you ready for that leap?

From experience I was on a 2 year are college course and had my placement for University to do animation. But because in my final year at college I spent too much time working on a 3D animation I spent very little time developing my drawing skills so I deferred my placement to Uni for one year and did a Art Foundation course which was also of pressure because of tight deadlines but it helped me develop my skills and confidence to experiment more with my drawings. So when I went to Uni I felt more ready and confidant.

But again that is down to you and how you feel about your skills plus need to look at which one would benefit you the most right now.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-27 12:11:39

I will be facing a similar dilemma in about a years time, and for me it comes down to whether I can push myself hard enough on my own, and how my economic situation will be afterwards. Of course there are compelling arguments against going to art school, but being surrounded by people looking to push themselves and their peers can make a huge difference I think.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-27 12:25:23

Orn and I both spent some time at community college before transferring to an art school, and I have to say the quality of education was quite similar. There was more emphasis on craft and basic skills at community college and more emphasis on ideas at MICA, but the difference very much didn't justify the price. If you get scholarships or have someone else paying for it I'd say it's maybe a decision worth making, but I'd not recommend going into debt over it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-30 12:00:45

I say don't bother with the leap, but then I never bothered with art school to begin with so whatever.

You're the one who asked for opinions. You took the risk of receiving opinions that wouldn't totally relate to your situation when you did that. I ain't taking none of the responsibility.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-04-30 12:20:30

I don't know if what I'm doing is considered to be "art school" but I am currently studying on a university on a Fine Arts course. More specifically on Visual Communication where you get to learn other shit like advertising along with the classics like painting. I'd say you should weigh your options and what you would gain if you happen to decide to enroll, I mean just abandoning what you've worked for to go to art school is a bit of a major decision.

Or you could just take the leap and hope for the best outcome. Good luck!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature