Be a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

  • 771,307 Views
  • 17,652 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-02 15:10:45 Reply

At 1/2/13 03:08 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Yeah that was uncalled for I know. I have to be honest though, I still can't see how beautiful it is. Maybe I'm not artistic enough. lol

You're just a dreadful artist fifty, and should be ashamed of what you make.

Love you <3

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-02 15:15:18 Reply

At 1/2/13 03:10 PM, test-object wrote: You're just a dreadful artist fifty, and should be ashamed of what you make.
Love you <3

Yes, I am fully aware of that.

Love you too sweet cheeks. <3

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-02 15:48:26 Reply

Gentlemen and ladies. I have a picture that I would like to be edited slightly for wallpaper use. How would I propose this? Do I make a thread or is there one for such a job?


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
radiodark
radiodark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-02 16:08:09 Reply

At 1/2/13 01:49 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Guys, I don't really understand why some people think this kind of painting is actually good. I even heard someone say that "it displays a good sense of anatomy and technicality." I'm sorry but I genuinely think this is horrible actually. Actually it's worse than horrible. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Which aspects make it "this kind"? I just don't know exactly what you mean. Painted with a large brush? Fairly unblended strokes? A semblance of fair proportions but bad rendering? Ugly ass colors? Drunk chicks with toilets?

I'm not really sure where you're coming from, but if I had to find merit in this piece, I'd focus on the nontraditional subject matter- the black humor behind the toilet, the swath of toilet paper, and the miserable woman. I'd talk about how the lack of detail in the strokes and the queasy color choices support an overall air similar to a hangover, blunt and uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the piece, but it's not completely without value.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

radiodark
radiodark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-02 16:12:20 Reply

Oh sorry dolls, didn't realize the lounge had a new page up.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-02 16:18:32 Reply

At 1/2/13 04:12 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Oh sorry dolls, didn't realize the lounge had a new page up.

We're dolls?
I want to be a squeezy one!


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-02 23:02:56 Reply

Shoutout to test, the only person who I'm assuming actually read the AFA results

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-02 23:54:39 Reply

At 1/2/13 04:08 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Which aspects make it "this kind"? I just don't know exactly what you mean. Painted with a large brush? Fairly unblended strokes? A semblance of fair proportions but bad rendering? Ugly ass colors? Drunk chicks with toilets?

I'm not really sure where you're coming from, but if I had to find merit in this piece, I'd focus on the nontraditional subject matter- the black humor behind the toilet, the swath of toilet paper, and the miserable woman. I'd talk about how the lack of detail in the strokes and the queasy color choices support an overall air similar to a hangover, blunt and uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the piece, but it's not completely without value.

The thing that irks me about it (like I've said before) is the fact that it looks lazy. If you consider the technical aspect of this piece (the detail, shading and anatomy) it's horrible. Please tell me, if you look at it, does skill and talent come to play? To be honest I think a kid can paint like that. I've seen finger paintings by children and this comes dangerously close to that.

I guess the only merit in this piece, like you said, is the context.


Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
JamSession
JamSession
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 00:06:15 Reply

At 1/2/13 11:02 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Shoutout to test, the only person who I'm assuming actually read the AFA results

I read them this morning, but I really didn't know what to say... I finally put a reply though.


BBS Signature
radiodark
radiodark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 00:17:46 Reply

At 1/2/13 11:54 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: I guess the only merit in this piece, like you said, is the context.

Kind of. I'm a big believer that you should pick the technique that best suits your idea, regardless of the skill level required. Would the painting promote the same feel if it were lusciously composed, every stroke carefully rendered and blended like a neoclassical painting? I think a bit of this style's uglyness suits the piece's message. The blocky, fragmented strokes speak to a psychological state I don't think absolute realism could convey.

Mind you I'd probably prefer the neoclassical stylings or a blend of the two, but that's my personal bias speaking. Abstraction has its uses.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 00:39:11 Reply

At 1/3/13 12:17 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Kind of. I'm a big believer that you should pick the technique that best suits your idea, regardless of the skill level required. Would the painting promote the same feel if it were lusciously composed, every stroke carefully rendered and blended like a neoclassical painting? I think a bit of this style's uglyness suits the piece's message. The blocky, fragmented strokes speak to a psychological state I don't think absolute realism could convey.

Mind you I'd probably prefer the neoclassical stylings or a blend of the two, but that's my personal bias speaking. Abstraction has its uses.

I see what you're saying. I guess the uglyness does support the main context of the painting itself. So if you put this style on a different context, like say a portrait of Michael Jackson. Would the messy strokes still be something applicable if you remove the context? Now how would you judge it?

Art Forum Lounge


Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 01:17:35 Reply

You know what just forget about it. I realized that it's pointless to keep ranting on this subject.


Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 01:47:16 Reply

At 1/3/13 01:17 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I realized that it's pointless to keep ranting on this subject.

That said. That portrait is fucking terrifying.

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 02:29:51 Reply

At 1/3/13 01:47 AM, M-Vero wrote:
At 1/3/13 01:17 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I realized that it's pointless to keep ranting on this subject.
That said. That portrait is fucking terrifying.

personally I found it easy to masturbate to.

AnotherOtto
AnotherOtto
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 11:47:35 Reply

At 1/2/13 11:54 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: The thing that irks me about it (like I've said before) is the fact that it looks lazy. If you consider the technical aspect of this piece (the detail, shading and anatomy) it's horrible. Please tell me, if you look at it, does skill and talent come to play? To be honest I think a kid can paint like that. I've seen finger paintings by children and this comes dangerously close to that.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
Picasso

Besides lazy quote throwing I do agree that some art is just lazy and it will take a trained eye to spot art that genuinely is of merit but in that sort of style. That's why there's art historians I guess. I agree it makes more sense to do things that are good at the first glance, but I guess that's not always what an artist wants to create. It's like those albums that grow on you or something.


I'm not banned, this is just where I'm vulgar.

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 12:20:01 Reply

it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media


You are not prepared...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 15:10:56 Reply

At 1/3/13 12:20 PM, Template88 wrote: it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media

I don't quite agree with that. Although I certainly think fundamentals are important, and although I believe that breaking fundamentals for the sake of breaking fundamentals or because the person generally doesn't understand them is not a good thing, I don't believe art necessarily has to be as rigid as always having the end goal be to portray objects as accurately as possible. I think the way you portray an object is just as important artistically as the actual content. For instance, in that picture that Fifty posted, there would be an entirely different mood if it were painted in any other way. True, if that style were applied to a different subject, such as that slightly terrifying portrait of Micheal Jackson, it just doesn't look good. But that doesn't matter because the style was chosen to suit one particular image. If you choose the right content, I believe it's possible to make a style work that would otherwise just be bad because the style and the content communicate with each other so to speak in order to portray an idea together. Art is just as much about the idea as it is about the technique.

Granted, I only believe this to a certain point. I don't believe it applies at extremes. The picture posted is on my border between acceptable and not.


[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Member since: Nov. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 15:19:57 Reply

At 1/3/13 12:20 PM, Template88 wrote: it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media

it is my opinion that you're full of shit fed to you by every art school teacher you've ever had
in my opinion of course

Carrion
Carrion
  • Member since: Apr. 16, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 18:57:19 Reply

At 1/3/13 12:20 PM, Template88 wrote: it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media

Well shit I guess i'm Satan's first born son.


BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-03 19:31:05 Reply

At 1/3/13 12:20 PM, Template88 wrote: it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media

The use of Satan as argument lol


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 00:17:39 Reply

At 1/3/13 07:31 PM, test-object wrote: The use of Satan as argument lol

I love satin, it feels so soft

27Djinns
27Djinns
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 03:11:51 Reply

What is this abstract/toilet/woman art that all you guys are posting about? I can't find in the last 5 pages... ahh... could somebody please link me so I can have an opinion too?

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 07:38:40 Reply

At 1/4/13 03:11 AM, 27Djinns wrote: What is this abstract/toilet/woman art that all you guys are posting about? I can't find in the last 5 pages... ahh... could somebody please link me so I can have an opinion too?

Not sure if ironic... Or blind


BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 08:36:35 Reply

At 1/3/13 12:20 PM, Template88 wrote: it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media

Godwin is over in the corner.

Crying.

Do you see that? You did that. You made him cry.

Template88
Template88
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 09:24:37 Reply

At 1/3/13 03:19 PM, Lucky wrote:
At 1/3/13 12:20 PM, Template88 wrote: it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media
it is my opinion that you're full of shit fed to you by every art school teacher you've ever had
in my opinion of course

>implying ive had art school teachers


You are not prepared...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 09:28:34 Reply

Guys calm down. I've seen over a few threads that we aren't nice to Template. We should all love each other!


Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 09:32:29 Reply

fifty, while i appreciate the gesture, lucky has no reason to be nice to me, and ive insulted about 99% of the artists on this site here in my off comments towards the forum in general many, many times. I deserve whatever i get.

Also carrion you use fundamentals in your work, as does test object. I have nothing against stylization, my own work is heavily stylized. I am against stylization with no structure (or fundamentals, when it isn't done on purpose) or as an excuse for bad art. I see nothing wrong with that portrait of jackson.


You are not prepared...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 09:38:13 Reply

Well you've got to admit though, the portrait of Michael Jackson does look quite horrid. I think I don't know why but I want it for my house.

Wait maybe that's the reason artists like these sell things.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 09:41:00 Reply

At 1/4/13 09:38 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Well you've got to admit though, the portrait of Michael Jackson does look quite horrid. I think I don't know why but I want it for my house.
Wait maybe that's the reason artists like these sell things.

i like the odd use of color and the thick meaty brush strokes, and of course the semi-horrifying look of his face.


You are not prepared...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-04 09:49:00 Reply

At 1/4/13 09:41 AM, Template88 wrote: i like the odd use of color and the thick meaty brush strokes, and of course the semi-horrifying look of his face.

Yes. It's as if that it will come out of it's frame and try to rape you. Quite a unique feeling.


Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature