00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

957,559 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-11 01:03:22

At 7/10/12 11:55 PM, BilalZ wrote:
At 7/10/12 10:39 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
I really do want to put my best foot forward in the future and try and become a better artist.
how many feet do you have?

How ever many it takes to become a better artist... even if I have to "Barrow" some from the local hobos

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-11 03:30:09

At 7/11/12 01:03 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: ... even if I have to "Barrow" some from the local hobos

The image of a hobo with a wheelbarrow full of severed foots is now etched in my mind.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-11 14:39:38

So, this is it. This here marks my 10 000th post on Newgrounds.
Is it a big deal? If so, is it that big a deal? Or is it more so just for my own ego?
Is it actually a signifying factor of how much time I've wasted here, in this place?
Or is it something more?
Does it signify the amount of maturity and growth over the years present?
Does it account to all of the friendships I've made over the time on this forum?
All the friends that have come into my life here in this place?
These friends, these users, these art forum regulars, who are they?
So many names, usernames and real, have come by this place.
They've come, and they've gone, moved on to different things.
And yet I'm still here, waiting and watching, a stone gargoyle on a building.
I've seen the forum in it's most grand moments, and I've seen it at it's uttermost shit.
And I just sit in the shadows, and wonder what the hell.
I've thought of leaving this place as so many before me have done, and yet I haven't.
Why? Why am I still here?
Is it because I've become so used to this place that I'd feel empty without it?
Is it because I still have hope for the forum becoming like it once was?
Is it because of the emotional ties to friends I've made here over the years?
I don't know, and yet I am still here, day by day, watching this place like a silent guardian.
So I sit, and I watch, and I wait, and all the while the world moves around me.
No, this isn't me saying that I'm leaving, or taking an extended hiatus.
This is more of a philosophical thought spoken aloud over the past thousands of posts here.
I've been in this art forum for close to 5 years now, and I know there are many who have been here longer.
I don't know, these are just the ramblings of a single man, caught up in his thoughts.
I'm not better than any of you, and I'm not wiser than any of you, I'm just here.
Just here waiting, and watching, day by day.
But I'll stay, and watch over this place, taking care of the shit that comes in. Like a protector of this place.
I'm no hero, but truth be told, you need me.
Whether you like it or not.

10 000th post, here's to a few more.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-11 14:50:30

Congratulations, Jonny.

BTW, I might crap out some more awfully drawn stuff, then post here just to get attention. Mwahaha!! This time intentional, just so it doesn't frenzy me when I get flamed or criticized..... No, but I'll post some full edged stuff from now on. I'll try my best.

Here's a quote
âEUoeOne day it will have to be officially admitted that what we have christened reality is an even greater illusion than the world of dreams.âEU - Salvador Dali

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-13 01:13:20

At 7/3/12 04:09 PM, Vousielle wrote: A wild Vousielle appears!

Obligatory I miss what we used to have post.

Art Forum Lounge

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-13 02:23:29

At 7/11/12 02:39 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: 10 000th post, here's to a few more.

I'd toast, but I'm all out of drink. So soda will have to do...

wait... we all out of that too?! Fuck!

Ok... er....Um.... whats close... I toast to you with, windex?
Well, may your next 10,000 post have a streak free shine!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-13 20:29:06

I've been noticing an increase of younger people at this forum, and they've been showing signs of misbehavior and mischief. Most of our friends are gone too. But that's how life goes huh?

Also congrats Jonny!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-13 21:09:41

At 7/13/12 08:29 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: I've been noticing an increase of younger people at this forum, and they've been showing signs of misbehavior and mischief. Most of our friends are gone too. But that's how life goes huh?
Also congrats Jonny!

My guess is that half of our friends are now jaded and don't frequent the forums due to all the younger mischievous folk, and the other half are pissed at the snobbery of our jaded friends and don't wanna hang around anymore. I'm caught somewhere in between where I just pretend nothing is happening. Friends come and go always, and it sucks, but yup, it's life I s'pose.

In order to keep my post somewhat artsy and not just about the old regs, here are a few cool artists/designers I've found in the past while. Sorry if any of them are reposts!

1 - I love the atmosphere of these, especially the Los Angeles one. Very moody.
2 - Fairly simplistic vector stuff but has some clever ideas in it.
3 - Awesome illustrator who uses colour boldly and wisely in my opinion.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 07:10:47

At 7/13/12 08:29 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: I've been noticing an increase of younger people at this forum, and they've been showing signs of misbehavior and mischief. Most of our friends are gone too. But that's how life goes huh?

Actually I hate it, and it needs a real turn around before the art forum reverts back to the stone age.
I'd quite like a few more activities going, since the summer holidays are here and it can keep people occupied/entertained. AVAT* will make a comeback soonish, as well.

might relabel to "Best Artists Win Tournament", since it has never been artist v. artist.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 09:18:18

At 7/14/12 07:10 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
might relabel to "Best Artists Win Tournament", since it has never been artist v. artist.

Maybe it should be Artist vs Artist though.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 10:13:34

At 7/14/12 07:10 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: AVAT* will make a comeback soonish, as well.

I'll offer my services to judge again.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 15:45:30

For those of you who don't frequent the Art Forum Activities thread, or aren't regular readers of the same news post I have had up for the past 12 months, this Friday, July 20th is the day of the Third Annual Newgrounds-Art-Forum-Stickam-Get-Drunk-On-Cam-Party. 8PM soft start.

If you are new to the forums or just happened to miss the first two because of a brain injury or what-not, the NGAFSTGDOCP is a casual get together of forum goers to allow us to wind down, have a few relaxing drinks with fellow artist and some non artists before we wind up again and throw up all over our monitors and fancy tablets and stuff. You don't even have to leave your computer because this all takes place in a stickam chat room. Check out my news post for details.

Again, party starts at 8PM (or whenever) on Friday July 20th, in the stickam room.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 16:42:40

Hey guys! Post some artwork! Come on!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 17:32:47

At 7/14/12 07:10 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I'd quite like a few more activities going

Drawception
iScribble
iSketch
Stickam

An actual, for realz!! "Artist VS. Artist" Tournament would be fun!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 17:41:13

At 7/14/12 03:45 PM, Sockembop wrote: Again, party starts at 8PM (or whenever) on Friday July 20th, in the stickam room.

What! its that time already....
Alright, you guys have talked me in to it, I'll show... I'll even hook up my cam... I just hope it works...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 18:49:47

At 7/14/12 05:43 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: I would totally participate and so would many others.

You've got guts kid, I'll give you that.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 19:13:41

An actual, for realz!! "Artist VS. Artist" Tournament would be fun!

Yeah, tournament sounds rad!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 19:19:42

At 7/14/12 07:00 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Thanks. The chance of winning seems slim to none, but I'm all in it for the fun.

It would be cool to have it set up (and have winners) in tiers: Beginner, intermediate, Advanced.

Let each person 'rate' themselves when signing up... pick which level they *think* they qualify for... but let the final ranking be decided by the tournament coordinators... to allow for arrogance and modesty (or cheaters who'll say their noobs when they're all pro and stuff!).

I like this idea!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-14 19:41:04

i find it hard to rank my own work, i'd be too harsh or too cocky. i'd prefer if someone else taking part to give me a rank. sounds like a nice idea though

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 00:47:24

At 7/14/12 05:43 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Renaenae you have to set this up... I would totally participate and so would many others.

Seconded, I vote Nae does all the work.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 01:27:53

I think I'll categorize myself as a beginner, you know because of my modest nature.

It's a pretty bad idea to let artists categorize themselves.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 01:32:05

At 7/15/12 01:27 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I think I'll categorize myself as a beginner, you know because of my modest nature.
It's a pretty bad idea to let artists categorize themselves.

fuck man, if your a bigenner, then what am I? a complete noob?
either way, I'm in.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 01:51:49

At 7/14/12 07:19 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: It would be cool to have it set up (and have winners) in tiers: Beginner, intermediate, advanced

I'm not too sure about this, you'll get some trouble with the borderline cases; if someone only just qualifies for advanced round he basically gets punished for having some arbitrary level of skill.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 01:52:59

At 7/14/12 07:19 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: It would be cool to have it set up (and have winners) in tiers: Beginner, intermediate, Advanced.

Art rating - Beginner
Judge rating - Advanced

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 03:38:15

At 7/15/12 01:52 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 7/14/12 07:19 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: It would be cool to have it set up (and have winners) in tiers: Beginner, intermediate, Advanced.

fuck it, i'm calling myself intermediate rank.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 13:46:21

At 7/15/12 12:47 AM, Captain wrote: Seconded, I vote Nae does all the work.

Why do I <3 you again?! ;P

At 7/15/12 01:51 AM, J-qb wrote: I'm not too sure about this, you'll get some trouble with the borderline cases; if someone only just qualifies for advanced round he basically gets punished for having some arbitrary level of skill.

I'm thinking there would be 4 levels, actually. With intermediate being split into two:
Intermediate A - closer to Advanced, and
Intermediate B - closer to Beginner

did I say that here already? or was that stickam? I dunno and I'm too lazy to scroll up! lol :P

The benefit of having people 'rate' themselves would save us a bit of time in determining the final rank. We'd probably only bump someone 'up' rather than 'down'. So if someone says they're Advanced, but the 'panel' feels they're more Intermediate-B, we'd let them compete in the Advanced round. If they say they're a Beginner, but we feel they're more suited for Inter-A, then we'd bump them up to Inter-B... or even A, depending.

At 7/15/12 03:48 AM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Categorization should go on behind the scenes.

Right... final say would be up to the 'panel', but having someone say 'just put me where ever you think I fit' would be more time consuming and taxing on the whole process ...and would probably create some hurt feelings (if someone thinks they're godly and we dump them in beginners, for example).

Anyway... this is just me thinking out loud. I have no idea what ToaS has planned, so ...I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 14:00:22

At 7/15/12 01:46 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: I'm thinking there would be 4 levels, actually. With intermediate being split into two:
Intermediate A - closer to Advanced, and
Intermediate B - closer to Beginner
did I say that here already? or was that stickam? I dunno and I'm too lazy to scroll up! lol :P

You'd be better off with two levels, to be fair. A and B. Otherwise the people are spread too thinly. Say there's 8+ people per group ... and don't forget dropouts ... then you can get 3-4 rounds in.

Otherwise it's fine. If you can think of the rules in 5 minutes, then you've got a simple tournament that people can follow.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 14:28:35

No-one? Okay, then.

And, Impending, you haven't... Oh well. I guess I'm just boring.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 15:07:23

At 7/15/12 02:59 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: I'm thinking of putting together a few small tutorials on coloring and painting with Photoshop. Does anyone have specific requests/things they'd like to see covered?

I had Photoshop once, I tried painting in it, but it was veeery complicated and sooo confusing. All the tutorials I checked on Youtube were no help. So, yes. I'd like to know the basics, please.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-15 17:07:04

I'm not sure about this yet, but I'll probably join the contest if that's cool.