New Topic Respond to this Topic
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-16 13:33:07 Reply

I do a mixture of shamelessly producing fan art (imitating the style of the creator) and fan art where it's just my take on the character. In general I don't see the problem. Every once in a while I'll see a concept and decide I want to take the concept and work my own take that concept and I see fan art similarly sometimes.

But then I also separate my drawings internally. I have the drawings that are important to me, and then the ones that are just "doodles" or fan art.

In the end I will be annoyed if anything I make gets used without my permission though

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-16 15:18:57 Reply

i tend to draw pictures other people have done that catch my eye and i want to draw... i find it fun doing doodles of other peoples work as i feel that i have done something cool because i could already see the result, i also tend to learn how people do things, so i slowly build up a collection of ideas and how to apply lines based from works of my favourite artists and artworks i have found...

i have nothing against people doing this sort of thing... but i wouldn't want to post it online for other people to see as i think its sort of pointless to post a copy of something that isn't as good...

keep copies too yourself... post finished original or interesting works...

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-16 16:57:12 Reply

I think we can all agree that I'm the guy who draws most fan-art here.

Meaning to say the guy who has the least amount of originality here.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-16 18:18:10 Reply

At 1 hour ago, Fifty-50 wrote: I think we can all agree that I'm the guy who draws most fan-art here.

I was waiting to see what you'd say on the subject ;P

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-16 18:33:32 Reply

I thought I had a problem with fan art.
Then Fifty said something,
and now I don't.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-16 19:14:37 Reply

At 2 hours ago, Fifty-50 wrote: I think we can all agree that I'm the guy who draws most fan-art here.

Yeah, but you do fan art in your own style.
And, like I said, that's the best way to do it.

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-16 22:19:18 Reply

At 3 hours ago, Knocturne wrote:
At 1 hour ago, Fifty-50 wrote: I think we can all agree that I'm the guy who draws most fan-art here.
I was waiting to see what you'd say on the subject ;P

Lol. I think I should say more about the subject since my last statement only offered a vague conclusion.

In general, I can say doing fan-art is a two-edged blade. Meaning it's good or bad depending on how you perceive it to be or just how you do it. The good side is that at the end of the day you'll be able to learn and pick up something new from the various artist of which you made fan-art of. (see Wesmeadow ) Now the bad side is that you might run the chance of getting somewhat addicted to it and losing some of your originality in the process. (Me)

Doing fan-art is fun. Especially if you're doing it with your friends. (see Gamemastershaina) And once more you can actually make a satire of the original artist. I know fan-art is different from a parody but you have to agree that they're like brothers. But in the end it's still up to you.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-18 11:31:10 Reply

So, im back from Comic-con... spent all my time (and money) in the art area... dam there is some talented artists *and some not so* spent a while talking to nearly all of them *again missing some on purpose*...

And this is why i dont like looking at peoples accounts who do art and commissions... i would be full of artwork and poor as hell!... but now im fueled up to do my comic!... i have about an hour to work on it before i head off again... COME ON LIFE!!! STOP GIVING ME STUFF TO DO!

but yeah, a lot of comic guys are looking for artists :3...

picture of epic SIGNED art loot :D

ps ignore the manga at the top... not for me :P

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
radiodark
radiodark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-18 16:09:02 Reply

At 4 hours ago, LegolaSS wrote: Stuff

Something tells me you like the ladies.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-18 19:18:42 Reply

At 3 hours ago, lovingthedark wrote: Something tells me you like the ladies.

In all fairness... 90% of the artwork was ladies... the only men i saw was commissions been done of people... i also studied a bit about what makes a good stall setup so if luckyde wants to have a little chat with me i can give him some pointers...

i thought it was a given away that i like the ladies :P

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-18 19:38:18 Reply

At 17 minutes ago, LegolaSS wrote: In all fairness... 90% of the artwork was ladies... the only men i saw was commissions been done of people... i also studied a bit about what makes a good stall setup so if luckyde wants to have a little chat with me i can give him some pointers...

Only if you also give me some pointers on the ladies :3

Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-19 14:54:18 Reply

At 3 days ago, Luxembourg wrote: Is it beneficial to draw fanart or any other heavily derived art?

Sure. It can take some of the pressure off, therby freeing you to produce more in a shorter amount of time. And there is something to be said for keeping what you're doing fun. Original stuff can be more daunting. And I'd also say it can really help you focus on other things. The craft part of art. Or the other ideas that elevate craft to art. Like composition, lighting, anatomy, etc. The hardest part of anything is starting, and fan art (can) makes it easier to start. Having done both.

Also I'd consider a lot of fan art to be 'original'. If you put the subject in a new context.

I will say doing original stuff is always more rewarding. You get out what you put in.

Also redesign identity graphics complete! Woot.
Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-19 15:08:07 Reply

At 3 days ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Click the link, cos you're cool.

Dave DeVries

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-19 19:20:48 Reply

At 4 hours ago, Occluded wrote:
At 3 days ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Click the link, cos you're cool.
Dave DeVries

Ok, but the post was only to show that the links to the art portal were working.
Ish. Score's ain't showing.
I wouldn't whore myself out so explicitly.

Speaking of which, I've a query about personal art threads, considering we can now link to art portal submissons.
Ignoring the rules and with an open-mind about how bothered you can browse their gallery, review and crit their work, how do you feel about:
- Threads that tell you to visit their site gallery (eg. daveygraphics.com).
- Threads that tell you to visit their art portal gallery, and offer some reviews.
- Threads that link to the relevant art portal submission (now with thumbnail goodness)
- Threads with the pics uploaded to post.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-19 19:35:52 Reply

At 10 minutes ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: - Threads that tell you to visit their site gallery (eg. daveygraphics.com).

"Fuck off"

- Threads that tell you to visit their art portal gallery, and offer some reviews.

"Nah."

- Threads that link to the relevant art portal submission (now with thumbnail goodness)

"Alright, then."

Depends on the picture, but its the standard either way so I ogle them and continue browsing.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-19 20:18:49 Reply

At 26 minutes ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: how do you feel about:
- Threads that tell you to visit their site gallery (eg. daveygraphics.com).

If that's the only point of the thread, then I hate it. They can link in their sigs, so no need for a whole thread to advertise. If they include art and say 'for more, check my art page and/or my site' ...AND CONTINUE TO ADD TO THE THREAD... then I'm okay with it.

That's the same as begging for movie/game reviews (and why the review crew was even started). I find them annoying and think they should be treated the same way as threads in the flash forum... if it's in their dump/unfinished, then it's ok (but art should be posted iN the thread, not just linked... per the rules. OMG!) But once it's uploaded to the portal, it's done and begging for reviews shouldn't be allowed. Yeah, it's easier to fix/tweak a single image than a whole movie or game, but... if they were really looking for tips on improving they should have made a thread before submitting! Odds are most of those people are just looking for attention and won't go back and change anything anyway.

Same as above. It's in the portal, it's done. If people want to review stuff, they'll go to the art portal and review it. If someone has their own art thread and they mix in a post with just a link, like 'hey, I just submitted this <link>' then that's cool. But if they make a thread JUST for that... that's not cool.

Win! Yay!

...at the end of the day, people that are truly interested in improving and getting feedback will make a thread with the art in it. They will take advice and post updates... and not have a problem following that set up. The people that do whine are usually the ones that only want praise and won't listen to anything constructive anyway because they think they're already perfect and we're all stupid for not realizing that.

Maybe we need a universal 'art review request' thread here ...like kinsei's, but for everyone.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-19 20:24:44 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: Maybe we need a universal 'art review request' thread here ...like kinsei's, but for everyone.

I second this.

radiodark
radiodark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-19 23:13:04 Reply

At 2 hours ago, Lintire wrote:
At 3 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: Maybe we need a universal 'art review request' thread here ...like kinsei's, but for everyone.
I second this.

How would this be different from the art 101 crit thread and the review request club?

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-19 23:51:58 Reply

At 36 minutes ago, lovingthedark wrote: How would this be different from the art 101 crit thread and the review request club?

Easy. It'd be completely dedicated to art (unlike the Review Request Club), and I wouldn't completely forget that it exists (unlike the art 101 crit thread).

Seriously someone needs to sticky that shit or something.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-20 00:35:00 Reply

At 1 hour ago, lovingthedark wrote: How would this be different from the art 101 crit thread and the review request club?

Right... it would be specifically for art.

The 101 crit thread doesn't utilize the actual review system whereas the 'art review request thread' would. People would post links to specific art pieces (already in the portal) to get reviews there (like they do with flash games and movies).

There would obviously have to be some rules... like a limit of one request on one piece per day (or week). The piece must be at least a week (or more) old... maybe even something like: it has to have less than 6 reviews at the time of request. Stuff like that so we don't have some knob posting a link to each piece they've ever uploaded (because people WILL try to do that!)

I also think it should be made here in the art forum as opposed to c&c ...because without a dedicated cast of reviewers to keep it going, I doubt it will make it very far. If it's here in our faces, all of us will be reminded regularly to help out.

...or something like that :P

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-20 01:52:50 Reply

At 1 hour ago, ReNaeNae wrote: ...or something like that :P

well.... why don't we just steal the model/rules from the Review Request Club.

copy/paste anyone?

Since it works for them, I don't see why it wouldn't work for us. Or at least I don't think it will require much tweaking. Maybe eventually we could even start a weekly leader board like they have to keep the competition going between us and keep the thread alive.
man a sticky would help indeed.

Woo Feeling the love from the reference to my whore thread!

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-20 05:43:16 Reply

i like this whole idea of a art review request thread... i visit the art portal near enough every day for at least 10-20mins...

( I also play the game where you guess the artist from the thumbnail before you hover over it )

i think about where the artist has gone wrong and what i like... but i dont really ever leave a review... so if there was a thread i would be more then happy to help out in there :3

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-20 11:53:57 Reply

Yeah. I'd be all for a Review Request Thread.
I think Luw's suggested it to me in Stickam before, and I can't remember why I dismissed the idea back then.
Possibly due to the existence of the Review Request Club.
I'm all for it now, especially since a lot of regs know how to review art, and would be more than willing to redirect other users there.

At 10 hours ago, ReNaeNae wrote: There would obviously have to be some rules...

Hate rules.
Would be good to kick it off with some review guidelines (or "rubric", which is a word I learnt from orn), that tell people to identify the good points first before having a go with the stuff which could be improved.

like a limit of one request on one piece per day (or week). The piece must be at least a week (or more) old... maybe even something like: it has to have less than 6 reviews at the time of request. Stuff like that so we don't have some knob posting a link to each piece they've ever uploaded (because people WILL try to do that!)

Normally I#d say this might be a rule too far, but for certain users I can see the point. Six review limit I'd leave out, cos some of the reviews might be guff. I wouldn't mind seeing that thread bumped by some overly keen users, but it might be worthwhile suggesting that a personal art thread may be more suitable for people who want constant attention.

...or something like that :P

I see a lot of elipses in this post. Is Lego typing in your stead?

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-20 11:55:07 Reply

At A few seconds ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: point.

Oh hey, I can post secret links again.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-21 16:03:18 Reply

Well.... Just got done with a interview at a local TV station for a graphic arts position.
It went well.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-21 16:55:47 Reply

At 50 minutes ago, Kinsei01 wrote: Well.... Just got done with a interview at a local TV station for a graphic arts position.
It went well.

Ooh! that's exciting!! GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-21 21:05:48 Reply

At 4 hours ago, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 50 minutes ago, Kinsei01 wrote: Well.... Just got done with a interview at a local TV station for a graphic arts position.
It went well.
Ooh! that's exciting!! GOOD LUCK!!! :D

^^^ what she said.

Tell us how it goes. (Not like you won't ;P)
Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-21 21:30:47 Reply

At 5 hours ago, Kinsei01 wrote: Well.... Just got done with a interview at a local TV station for a graphic arts position.
It went well.

good-luck kinsei man, hope it all goes well -thumbs up-

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-22 10:32:58 Reply

Hey just checking - as of this week, have any of you guys experienced an issue where you write a review, but it doesn't show up even after refreshing the page a few times? And then it shows up a long while later? This was happening after launch but I can't recreate it now, just wondering if anyone else has seen it recently.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-02-22 11:17:13 Reply

At 41 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote: just wondering if anyone else has seen it recently.

after reading this i went away and commented on some artwork i wanted to earlier... submitted my review and refreshed page... nothing... 2 mins later... still nothing... so yes...

art i commented on

BBS Signature