New Topic Respond to this Topic
Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-06 11:56:06 Reply

At 10/6/11 01:29 AM, Captain-Ben wrote: it's mah burfday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!!!!!!! <3

Art Forum Lounge

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-06 16:10:05 Reply

At 10/6/11 11:56 AM, Nae wrote:
At 10/6/11 01:29 AM, Captain-Ben wrote: it's mah burfday!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!!!!!!! <3

Happy Birthday Cap'n!

I hope you don't mind not getting a big glitter kiss GIF from me.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-07 17:09:22 Reply

At 10/7/11 04:46 PM, Mark-er wrote: Can anybody give this a quick look and tell me if the proportions and perspective of the guy's body is okay? I wanna know so I can make any last minute changes before I bother to color it.

I think his forearm seems a tad bit long....

In other news, this year marks the 25th Anniversary of the Legend of Zelda series.
If you own a DS/DSi/3DS, you can download a free copy of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

Art Forum Lounge

rendibsivad
rendibsivad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-07 17:15:55 Reply

LINKS A PEDOPHILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the lord of our savior. el christio

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-07 19:54:59 Reply

At 10/7/11 04:46 PM, Mark-er wrote: Can anybody give this a quick look and tell me if the proportions and perspective of the guy's body is okay? I wanna know so I can make any last minute changes before I bother to color it.

I would shrink the head a bit more if I were you. But that pic looks AWESOME!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 01:48:41 Reply

anyone else a bit salty that they have to start their calender entry over? :/
(if you did anything related the popular newgrounds characters)

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 04:02:19 Reply

What is this place..? ;_;

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 05:23:17 Reply

At 10/8/11 04:02 AM, CloudEater wrote: What is this place..? ;_;

A place to sleep. A haven. A safe place. Got to sleep, little Nathan. I will play Street Fighter and watch over your cadaver-in-the-making.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 05:27:55 Reply

ever wanted to draw like shadman?... now you can will this helpful vid!

LINKY!

You can be good artist too!

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 11:09:08 Reply

At 10/8/11 01:48 AM, jeeshwa123 wrote: anyone else a bit salty that they have to start their calender entry over? :/

Nothing saddens me more than to see people complain about having to think creatively.

Maybe NG contests and the world in general would benefit more if people sat down for a day or two and really brainstormed a good idea instead of just going the easy route of picking the most popular concepts. Think about it. How creative or original is it, when 10 other people also had the same idea.

One trick I use is write all my ideas down, then don't allow myself to use any of them, especially not the first ones. The next day I write down another batch, then pick the best one out of those.

I kind of wish he also said no more cunting october entries.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 11:14:35 Reply

At 10/8/11 11:09 AM, ornery wrote: One trick I use is write all my ideas down, then don't allow myself to use any of them, especially not the first ones. The next day I write down another batch, then pick the best one out of those.

I agree. In fact, ornery passed me one these idea lists he was writing:

- Bull dog
- Labrador
- Airedale terrier
- Irish setter
- Dalmatian

BBS Signature
Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 11:40:43 Reply

At 10/8/11 01:48 AM, jeeshwa123 wrote: anyone else a bit salty that they have to start their calender entry over? :/

Actually this gives me more time to work on my piece, because I wasnt happy with the rushed piece I entered since the original got corrupted. Honestly ornery gave me an idea, I just was unsure what was newgrounds and what was not. Tom gave us some leverage to brainstorm with. And I sketched out a few ideas on paper and to choose is much so easier said than done.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 13:45:02 Reply

At 10/8/11 11:09 AM, ornery wrote: too long; didn't post

Yes, because the fact that I drew popular newgrounds characters definitely means that I didn't work really really hard on it. I don't know if you even saw my piece before you decided to start bashing, but I had put around 4 hours and counting into my entry when Tom decided that it wasn't suitable. Sorry I said anything in the first place, my point was completely un-warrented.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 15:05:31 Reply

@Cloudy - You still need to redeem yourself.

@Jeeshwa - Good god man, do you need to complain about everything? It's not that using NG characters means you didn't put any work into it, but it's that you put no creativity into it because the characters have been drawn over and over and over thousand-fold. There are hundreds of NG characters that receive barely any attention that you could draw, and just the fact that it's something different makes it stand out more and makes it a better choice.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 16:23:47 Reply

At 10/8/11 03:05 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: @Jeeshwa - Good god man, do you need to complain about everything? It's not that using NG characters means you didn't put any work into it, but it's that you put no creativity into it.

That's not it either; Ornery didn't say that taking popular characters means you used absolutely NO creativity, just not as much as when you had gone for something more out of the ordinary. The point is (at least, my point would be) that you could just take Tom's point and say to yourself "yeah fair point, it would be silly to have an entire calendar filled with the same 4 characters, why didn't I think of that myself." instead of complaining about it.
What's more; Tom didn't actually tell poeple that submissions with those characters are unsuitable per se; they will just be less likely to get it.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 16:50:01 Reply

At 10/8/11 11:14 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I agree. In fact, ornery passed me one these idea lists he was writing:

Exactly, and instead I went with a pug... see how that works out :D

At 10/8/11 01:45 PM, jeeshwa123 wrote:
Yes, because the fact that I drew popular newgrounds characters definitely means that I didn't work really really hard on it. I don't know if you even saw my piece before you decided to start bashing, but I had put around 4 hours and counting into my entry when Tom decided that it wasn't suitable. Sorry I said anything in the first place, my point was completely un-warrented.

I never said that all the entries were crap if they used popular characters. I was more commenting on the way people get their panties in a bunch when they are asked to think outside the box for a bit. Tom never said those who submitted stuff wouldnt get in if they used popular characters, he just didnt want to see any MORE submissions of the same shit. Yes it sucks if you were working on a piece and now have to switch ideas, but 4 hours of work isnt all that much time lost. I typically only have a sketch after 4 hours of work. I dont think I have a single piece that I like that took anything less than 12 hours. True I work slow, but 4 hours is a days work, you can easily make it up.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 16:55:18 Reply

At 10/8/11 04:23 PM, J-qb wrote: That's not it either; Ornery didn't say that taking popular characters means you used absolutely NO creativity, just not as much as when you had gone for something more out of the ordinary.

Yeah, that's what I meant XD
That it's less creative.

Cheers.
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 17:03:26 Reply

At 10/8/11 04:55 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Yeah, that's what I meant XD
That it's less creative.
Cheers.

It's all fan art. I don't think people CAN be considered creative about what characters they choose to make their entry about.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 17:14:57 Reply

At 10/8/11 05:03 PM, Aigis wrote: It's all fan art. I don't think people CAN be considered creative about what characters they choose to make their entry about.

Although it is fan art, you can be creative in the style you've drawn then in, or in the representation that you've done. Your piece was creative in that you redesigned the characters, modeling after famous musicians; that's creative. Just drawing a bunch of important NG characters standing around isn't.

turtleco
turtleco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 17:44:03 Reply

At 10/8/11 05:14 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Although it is fan art, you can be creative in the style you've drawn then in, or in the representation that you've done. Your piece was creative in that you redesigned the characters, modeling after famous musicians; that's creative. Just drawing a bunch of important NG characters standing around isn't.

jeez dude, creativity? fuck that. I'd rather copy the art style. Its more of a homage to original. If you try an use creativity and an original art style, you might as well be a communist.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-08 17:45:34 Reply

At 10/8/11 05:15 PM, Larkatosa wrote:
At 10/8/11 05:03 PM, Aigis wrote:

It's all fan art. I don't think people CAN be considered creative about what characters they choose to make their entry about.
We should all draw ponies!

Been there, done that...

Gay ponies. With rainbows and sparkles and stuff ..

Ok... maybe not "that" But perhaps Hipster could be gay.... you know... cause being straight is too mainstream

OH crap, I've given him a name..... :'( I need to like amputate something for penance or something

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 04:40:05 Reply

I do see your point ornery. and johnny......whatever. fucking whatever.
All I was trying to say was that I'm really disappointed in the fact that I have to completely start my entry over after 4+ hours of work. My reaction isn't really "THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?" it's not even like i really have to be here, I put my own spare time into something, and then I find out it was for nothing. Call me crazy, but that's just kinda shitty, yah know?

I could write a long-winded expressive note about how I disagree with NG's treatment of it's users, but you guys seem to heavily disagree, so I'll just shut the fuck up and chalk this up on my "spats with dat NG" list.
I must say, it's getting pretty high.
*goes to check in on his DA now*

PS: (On an unrelated, presumably less important note)
It's starting to become rather clear why the rest of NG feels the way they do about the art forums. Thanks for your support fellow artists. Ever since I came back to newgrounds, I feel like the welcome wasn't necessarily a warm one. Everyone is rather bitter. Maybe it's not directed at me, but it sure seems like it since I came back. jusayin'

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 05:41:38 Reply

jeeshwa, I can understand that you feel gutted that it feels you've put a lot of work into a piece for seemingly nothing. There's nothing stopping you from finishing it off if you think it's got a strong chance of getting in the calendar.

On the otherhand, the judges will not only pick winning entries from the quality of the pic, but the overall variety of characters. Most people would rather see loads of characters that they enjoy, rather than a calendar full of Pico, Darnell and NeNe.

I remember the 2010 calendar was something similar, and looking back it was full of Tankmen , Dad 'n' me and a variety of characters. Some of these pics were brilliant. In the end, only 4 of these got through to the calendar (with jobertson on the back). The real battle in 2010 wasn't whether your pic would make it onto the calendar, but whether your groupshot of characters would be the one going into the calendar. I'd rather take 12 chances to get in, than just one.

If you are going to use the usual assortment of characters, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment unless you can do something radical and unique with them. I would rather be told 4 hours into a painting that there's a good chance that I may not be considered, rather than finishing up 8 hours in and be disappointed when my pic fails to make the cut.

Plus a lot more people would appreciate you making a GirlChan in Paradise pic; egoraptor pics tend to be neglected by artists, but there's a lot of people who love his Flashes.

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 05:48:50 Reply

At 10/9/11 05:41 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
If you are going to use the usual assortment of characters, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment unless you can do something radical and unique with them. I would rather be told 4 hours into a painting that there's a good chance that I may not be considered, rather than finishing up 8 hours in and be disappointed when my pic fails to make the cut.

Plus a lot more people would appreciate you making a GirlChan in Paradise pic; egoraptor pics tend to be neglected by artists, but there's a lot of people who love his Flashes.

yeah that's true. i would be at least 50% saltier if I found that out after I'd finished.
i think in the case of my piece, i tried to do too much of what everyone else likes. an Egoraptor dedicated piece -him being my favorite newgrounds creator- would probably be better suited for me, and people love GirlChan. win win. :)

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 09:29:28 Reply

On a totally unrelated note: http://www.savagechickens.com/2011/10/wo rks-of-art.html

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 10:13:28 Reply

At 10/9/11 04:40 AM, jeeshwa123 wrote: Ever since I came back to newgrounds, I feel like the welcome wasn't necessarily a warm one.

Doesn't help that you've been complaining about a lot of stuff.

Especially the tedious complaints with regards to CHOW
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 10:59:21 Reply

At 10/9/11 04:40 AM, jeeshwa123 wrote: Ever since I came back to newgrounds, I feel like the welcome wasn't necessarily a warm one.

Sorry that you feel like that, but I am sure you are more than welcome here. Your art is nice, you offer helpful critique and show new users round sometimes.

But I think it should also be possible to have an argument among the regs without taking it personal.

It's all good

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 14:50:38 Reply

At 10/9/11 10:13 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Doesn't help that you've been complaining about a lot of stuff.
Especially the tedious complaints with regards to CHOW

actually, I did nothing more than make a suggestion. i don't really know how you see it, but I just spoke my mind. And I complain about shit that is pretty viable to bitch about. Note that I also drop it? It's not like I go on and on with it. You all seem to be "never forgiving, never forgetting" when I'm like "truce?". Maybe I shouldn't have expected better from the internet, so shame on me.
I'll just be a mindless meat puppet from now on ;) Hope this satisfies you.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 15:10:04 Reply

At 10/9/11 02:50 PM, jeeshwa123 wrote: I'll just be a mindless meat puppet from now on ;) Hope this satisfies you.

You know jeeshwa, when you first showed up in the forum about about a year and a half ago, I used to like you. You had a fun style and were a fun person.
But when you came back this time after your long hiatus, you came back with a real bad attitude. And that's what I'm most disappointed with.

jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-10-09 15:19:24 Reply

At 10/9/11 10:59 AM, Luwano wrote:
Sorry that you feel like that, but I am sure you are more than welcome here. Your art is nice, you offer helpful critique and show new users round sometimes.

But I think it should also be possible to have an argument among the regs without taking it personal.

It's all good

thanks man.
no man no, when I have a complaint about NG, it's directed STRAIGHT AT YOU. you should take it personally, because I'm not expressing distaste for legitimate problems that have nothing to do with you, I'm directing them STRAIGHT AT YOU. lol

but all jokes aside, it just feels like when i took my hiatus from NG, a certain distaste for me came about, like i wasn't allowed to be part of the "club" anymore. Which, actually, is why I left in the first place! xD anything I say is held to a much higher regard. I guarantee that if some new guy who's art is equally as good as the rest of us came in and said the EXACT SAME THING, he wouldn't get the cold shoulder.

and i contribute to the art portal, I review and rate new submissions, i try to point new artists in the right direction....I do what I can to chip in and make this website great. So why is it that I'm such bad news? Why the hell is everyone so bitter?

call me paranoid. just callin' em how I see em'.