New Topic Respond to this Topic
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 06:33:15 Reply

One of the craftier art thieves we've come across.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 07:38:15 Reply

At 8/19/11 04:37 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: MADLAB's has got banned from Kongregate, finally.
I noticed he's started uploading Music, which is a lot harder to crack down on, unfortunately ;/

Bring it up in the audio forum. If he's stealing music from Newgrounds, they'll totally snipe him.

XWarrior61
XWarrior61
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 10:42:24 Reply

At 8/18/11 07:33 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: I guess you missed the point.
And some text, apparently.

Ususally the case with me, I'll go back and hide in my hole for a while.

Just testing things out l popcorn
XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 12:35:55 Reply

Some friends of mine from college started a pretty sweet art challange blog. Its sorta like the doubles we have here, but with a twist. As of now what they are doing works so well because they work with a smaller group and in a more direct personal way with each artist, and only 2 at a time.

I bet we could figure out something similar for the forums. Some sort of sketch exchange type thing. If people like this idea I'll think of something and get it started.

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 04:55:26 Reply

Every time I see TheZen post I get sad when I realize he's not e-m-b-r-i-o.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 09:42:27 Reply

Quoting from this thread

At 8/20/11 09:26 PM, Artist-Lost wrote: Every time an artist does a job for free, or for a dirt cheap price ($30-$45) they downgrade the value of art as people begin to expect that level from artists. One of the major rules of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) is never do work for free or for below value as this causes companies to devalue artists. People doing that crap is the whole reason we have starving artists, or artists having to have a day job to finance their work.

As sorry as I am for all you lovely (would be) professionals; this is crap. Sure I understand that that is an adopted rule by AIGA, but forcing it on others or blaming them for not doing so is utter Bullshit. If you as a professional artist can't compete with free or cheap amateurs; i.e. companies don't value your art that much higher than an amateurs, that is your problem. You can either try to convince companies of the value of profesional work, or draw the conclusion that your art isn't that economically valuable. Tough luck; there are lots of poeple that can't make a living doing what they like to do.
If artists should have any special stature, that should come from the artists themselves (convincing companies of their worth) or from the government subsidizing artists, not from some kind of arbitrary monopoly.
Again, I'm sorry if (or rather, that) this means we have starving artists, but so be it. Apparently poeple value your work as a bartender/supermarket employee/dog portraitist/whatever more than your work as an artist

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 10:19:37 Reply

At 8/19/11 12:35 PM, ornery wrote: If people like this idea I'll think of something and get it started.

I approve :D

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 12:59:35 Reply

At 8/21/11 09:42 AM, J-qb wrote: Quoting from this thread
Again, I'm sorry if (or rather, that) this means we have starving artists, but so be it. Apparently poeple value your work as a bartender/supermarket employee/dog portraitist/whatever more than your work as an artist

Qb.... I think I just shed a tear for that :')

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
RhysFTW
RhysFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 13:38:52 Reply

hey guys, would anyone be kind enough to review my recently uploaded picture I just done please? Also kensei if you could be kind enough to review my work again?

MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 14:21:54 Reply

Woah!

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?
A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature
MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 14:25:44 Reply

At 8/21/11 01:38 PM, RhysFTW wrote: hey guys, would anyone be kind enough to review my recently uploaded picture I just done please? Also kensei if you could be kind enough to review my work again?

I think you need to request it here.

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 14:53:08 Reply

At 8/21/11 02:26 PM, bilalz wrote: is my art good enough to be stolen?

I would say...no? Are you asking if we think you've stolen the artwork you've uploaded, or just upset that you're work isn't good enough to cause someone to try and steal it yet?

Weird question either way.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
VividGrim
VividGrim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 14:56:06 Reply

Any art is.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 15:09:52 Reply

At 8/21/11 02:56 PM, VividGrim wrote:
Any art is.

I'd steal my art, and I don't even make any.

MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-21 15:20:10 Reply

Use tineye or google images to see if someone has stolen it.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-22 13:03:32 Reply

Something worth some lols
Famous Guns Replaced with Nintendo Zappers
Bob! you should have another Photo Manipulation of the Week with this being the Theme...

>.>.... or maybe I should.

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-22 14:10:05 Reply

so I was thinking of starting an artists for hire thread like the voice acting threads where they advertise their skills we can have the the art forum peeps advertising their strengths and availability.
for example
Name:
Derp Do
Portfolio:
Link Do
Speciality:
Special Derp Do
Availability:
Only payed /free work is fine
Contact
squirrel@derpmail.com

Idk just an idea, this way if people say LOOKING FOR FREE WORKERS we can point them to the thread and they can look for artists here they like who are willing to work for free, or if they wanna pay artists there will be artists there also who specify they do payed commissions. Idk , just an idea. Been done? Better suggestions?

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-22 14:17:37 Reply

At 8/22/11 02:10 PM, LuckyDesign wrote: so I was thinking of starting an artists for hire thread

Seems interesting, it really does.
I may second the idea

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-22 15:04:47 Reply

At 8/22/11 01:03 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Something worth some lols
Famous Guns Replaced with Nintendo Zappers
Bob! you should have another Photo Manipulation of the Week with this being the Theme...
>.>.... or maybe I should.

LOL! Great Idea! Do it. "Cause there's no way in hell I'm making that sample pic. Use the nintendo force young padawan!

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-22 16:33:22 Reply

At 8/22/11 04:00 PM, threadwood wrote:
it IS a good idea. in fact, I presented a very similar idea a while ago when the forum was filled with annoying commission requests:

could you guys make a "Looking for Work" thread or page? a place where newgrounds artists looking for freelance work/commissions can post their portfolios/examples and contact info? then people looking for artwork can go there, get the contact info, and contact the artists outside of newgrounds. maybe someone could cast judgements as to who should be allowed to display their work on the page, you know, to keep 12 year old anime kids off of it.

no one liked the idea.

Your guys ideas are indeed good and I can see where you are coming from. But the unfortunate truth is that these kind of threads never really get used. We redirect people there and nothing happens, additionally the request still pop up since people don't use the search function.

Don't get me wrong, the idea is nice, I just don't think it will work. Not beacuse I am a pessimist, just by experience.

But most important, what do our friendly neighbourhood mods think?

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-22 17:07:21 Reply

I don't have a problem with an Artist Advertisement thread, and it'd be cool to see something set up.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-22 17:21:29 Reply

Actually, I'm pretty sure we actually started an "Artists for Hire" thread a while back, where people posted what types of art they could offer (I remember Ash and Gumby posted in it).
Unfortunately, just like the "Voice Actor for Hire" thread it was mostly overlooked.....

Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-22 18:35:19 Reply

At 8/22/11 04:00 PM, threadwood wrote:
no one liked the idea.

Why Lucky's proposal is better than yours:

At 8/22/11 04:00 PM, threadwood wrote: could you guys make...
At 8/22/11 02:10 PM, LuckyDesign wrote: so I was thinking of starting...

;P lol

We've tried corralling requests and adverts to single threads... it hasn't worked.

Once it reaches multiple pages, no one will look back to the beginning posts.... 'cuz odds are a lot of those people won't be around anyway.

As someone looking for talent... sifting through such a thread would be annoying (I just experienced it with the audio advert thread!). I would much rather make my own new thread describing what I need and let interested parties come to me. At least that way I know I won't be hitting a bunch of dead links or inactive, uninterested users.

I do like the idea of one place for artists to post their availability though (for those people who don't mind sifting) ...but maybe a better alternative to a thread would be a news post ...because it's editable/updateable.

If made with an account like Art101, multiple users would have access and could share the burden of maintaining it. There could be links to the artists art page/portfolio and a line or two on price range and capabilities ...and they could be organized by specialties or style... price... whatever.

I have no idea what new features the redesign will bring. It would be nice if we could have more than one image in a news post... 'cuz then each person could have a little sample pic too... or, maybe, just maybe...it'll make something like this completely unnecessary. Who knows!!!!

...OR... just thought of another option... an editable google doc! That's sortable... by price, style, etc. ...and can have images too. Hmmm!! Yeah, I kinda like that idea!

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-23 16:05:59 Reply

I don't know how many TMNT fans we have here, but this is definitely something worth checking out.
TMNT Art Show

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-23 16:26:02 Reply

At 8/23/11 04:05 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I don't know how many TMNT fans we have here

*raises hand*

At 8/23/11 04:05 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: but this is definitely something worth checking out.
TMNT Art Show

Indeed, very good stuff. I want that TMNT car.

I only wish there was less interviewing and even more art.

Good find, Mr. 13.

BBS Signature
Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-23 16:48:42 Reply

At 8/19/11 12:35 PM, ornery wrote: Some friends of mine from college started a pretty sweet art challange blog. Its sorta like the doubles we have here, but with a twist. As of now what they are doing works so well because they work with a smaller group and in a more direct personal way with each artist, and only 2 at a time.

I bet we could figure out something similar for the forums. Some sort of sketch exchange type thing. If people like this idea I'll think of something and get it started.

You didn't get much response on that....but I'm intrigued. On the other hand, I'm also utterly confused as to how you would adapt this to the forums format so elaborate plz?

BBS Signature
Wivernryder
Wivernryder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Art Lover
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-23 20:56:07 Reply

At 8/23/11 08:51 PM, Wivernryder wrote: There's a street-legal lightcycle now.

Yeah..... that's really old news. Those came out back when Tron: Legacy was released.

Wivernryder
Wivernryder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Art Lover
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-24 08:32:43 Reply

To those who are interested, I found this rather advanced tutorial on how to draw a spider.

BBS Signature