New Topic Respond to this Topic
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 15:43:44 Reply

Oh Occluded and Ornery have put everything in it's right place with their lengthy posts. I agree on most if not all of what they said.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 16:25:47 Reply

in the end I really do make art (and music) for myself, and I also tend to feel that I can look at a piece ive done and see millions of little things I liek about it - but ignore those little things because I still like the overall effect.

And when others liek ti too then that makes me happy.

However on the flip side just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean I am gonig to change it - unless I look at it and suddenly say to himself, "you know what, he's right - this would look betetr if i did such and such" - criticism is great - but it can also be largely considered and then ultimately discarded.

I guess in the end my goal isn't to please everyone - just the majority of people. And I am all about aiming to please, while at the same tiem giving myself somethnig to enjoy. If one cannot enjoy their own work then I sort of feel that their artwork may not truly reflect that which they wanted to convey - or perhaps the emotions they put in were tooo much and they simply can't stand the look of it anymore.

I did that with one of my artworks - the abysmal demon of hair - put all my hate into it and now I can't even bear to look at the picture anymore.

art is fun.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 18:19:55 Reply

Random observation Time!
When poeple take opinions about matters that everyone agrees on and apply them to things they shouldnt be applied to (according to other poeple) it gets awkward cause when you disagree with that it appears as if you disagree with the matters that everyone agrees on.

just saying

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 19:13:19 Reply

At 1/21/11 06:19 PM, J-qb wrote: Random observation Time!
When poeple take opinions about matters that everyone agrees on and apply them to things they shouldnt be applied to (according to other poeple) it gets awkward cause when you disagree with that it appears as if you disagree with the matters that everyone agrees on.
just saying

Yeah!
Like when people say "DeviantArt is bad" and some other guy says "Yeah, I don't like that they have deviant in it's name, it's so lame"
I hate that!

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 19:17:50 Reply

just saying

um... I must have had too much to drink already..... cause I didn't unferstadn a damn but of that...
perhaps If I read it tomorrow....

Mmmm Scotch....

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 19:19:49 Reply

At 1/21/11 07:17 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: unferstadn

kinsei is drunk, let it be known throughout the ages

wait, he can afford alcohol again?
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 19:24:31 Reply

At 1/21/11 07:19 PM, Ashman wrote:

It was my births day. I was able to manafge...

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 19:35:41 Reply

At 1/21/11 07:24 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:

its ok he can still manage semi understandable text, must not have been a lot of birthday money

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 19:38:16 Reply

At 1/21/11 07:35 PM, Ashman wrote:
At 1/21/11 07:24 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:

its ok he can still manage semi understandable text, must not have been a lot of birthday money

I'm a cheap asshole... .I but cheap scotch.... although I did special orders some stuff that is suppose to be in next tuesday... yeah.. :3

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 21:19:43 Reply

At 1/21/11 07:13 PM, Havegum wrote: Yeah!
Like when people say "DeviantArt is bad" and some other guy says "Yeah, I don't like that they have deviant in it's name, it's so lame"
I hate that!

DeviantART again? I personally think you can never improve with the help o deviantart comments/crits or whatever you call that. They all focus only on how kawaii or desu your drawings are. I've seen an artist there who never improved in 4 years. Which is sad. And what's worse is that he thinks newgrounds is crap because "we like bashing someone's hard work".

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 21:33:39 Reply

the big sites like DA youll get flamed for actually being helpful, because in their eyes it looks like your either flaming or being a hater, they won't listen, heres better obviously, a small community, the majority of which know what theyre talking about and arent afraid to give an honest crit, even if it means sounding negative, the art portals a bit different, but weve had that conversation before, amirite

NG fanboyism
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 21:37:40 Reply

There are so many NG fanbois here. Oh well, it's not my business anyway. Who cares. Anyway, I have a question. "I want to get an ED article. How am I gonna achieve it?" And I'm being serious.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 21:38:08 Reply

I left DA when they tried to gauge me for selling my artwork on their site.

that and pestering me to pay and shit.

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 22:39:36 Reply

Wrong Ash, I've had plenty of critiques voted useless here no matter how much suger and honey I dumped into how I phrased what I thought. At first of course, it's because I came off like a jerk, but even my slightly helpful things like "Haha this is awesome, maybe work on the lighting though it's funky!" gets voted useless.

I think I've got the best critiques in my thread here though...I attribute my growth to that thread and my general competitive nature. Not to have a "better drawing then you" but because I want to surpass the"you" in this equation in skill.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 23:20:02 Reply

At 1/21/11 09:37 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: "I want to get an ED article. How am I gonna achieve it?" And I'm being serious.

become an internet meme....
see simple....

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 23:36:51 Reply

:'(.... guess I'm on twitter after all....

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-21 23:40:31 Reply

At 1/21/11 11:20 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: become an internet meme....
see simple....

I guess some dreams will never come true.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-22 01:06:21 Reply

At 1/21/11 11:40 PM, Fifty-50 wrote:
At 1/21/11 11:20 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: become an internet meme....
see simple....
I guess some dreams will never come true.

Not necessarily. There are a couple of methods to get noticed on ED, all of which take a moderate amount of time to do so. The first, and easiest, is simply to go to every site you can think of and be the biggest fucking douche you can possibly be, be outrageous, make stupid demands and affiliate yourself with every fetish in existence.

That takes a couple of months, really, depending on just how outrageous you are.

However, this has the side effect of everyone hating you. Go figure. The second, harder method, is simply to lurk until the opportunity arises to burn someone, something big. To tear a massive gash in a figure or organization, and to do it with such style and grace that your reknown is immediately increased to Legendary.

This is the most rewarding method, and the masses will sing your praises. Well, anonymously, anyway.

Being an internet meme is a two-bit way to fame and is instantly forgotten by most. Being a troll, either for the forces of aweso or doucheness, usually does the trick.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-22 01:51:07 Reply

At 1/21/11 10:39 PM, Knocturne wrote: Wrong Ash, I've had plenty of critiques voted useless here no matter how much suger and honey I dumped into how I phrased what I thought. At first of course, it's because I came off like a jerk, but even my slightly helpful things like "Haha this is awesome, maybe work on the lighting though it's funky!" gets voted useless.

You have to learn to be a pro-reviewer like me, although I mainly do flash.
I'm so pro that I leave reviews on Egoraptor flashes ripping the hell out of them, and they get marked helpful. Jonny > Fanboys

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-22 07:12:06 Reply

At 1/21/11 10:39 PM, Knocturne wrote: Wrong Ash, I've had plenty of critiques voted useless here no matter how much suger and honey I dumped into how I phrased what I thought. At first of course, it's because I came off like a jerk, but even my slightly helpful things like "Haha this is awesome, maybe work on the lighting though it's funky!" gets voted useless.

I think I've got the best critiques in my thread here though...I attribute my growth to that thread and my general competitive nature. Not to have a "better drawing then you" but because I want to surpass the"you" in this equation in skill.

Actually, almost every single review I make in the art portal is voted "helpful", and I actually critique every piece I review (usually with a damned big wall of text). I don't necessarily fluff everything up, either; I'm harsh when it's needed and I usually rate things I review between 6 and 8.

I don't think I've ever come across like a jerk in any of my critiques, though.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-22 07:18:07 Reply

At 1/21/11 07:13 PM, Havegum wrote:
Yeah!
I hate that!

Nah thats exactly not what im talking about....

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-22 10:50:59 Reply

At 1/21/11 06:19 PM, J-qb wrote:
just saying

Holy hell.... that made a lot more sense now that I'm sober....

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-23 03:35:36 Reply

What's everyone's position on using a reference and the fineline when you have to judge whether it's referenced or traced?

I was perusing through Knockwurst (totally not because it's similar to Knocturne)'s gallery and found multiple people siting that he referenced or posibly traced an image, I of course looked at the link and it's quite a match.

Now, the things that bothered me is
A: He got a lot of attention for a job well done
B: People voted the citings as useless
C: He never mentioned the fact he referenced anything or even replied to the comments saying he did or didn't

How do you feel about that? Do you think it's an artist's obligation to say "Yeah, I used a reference for this" and possibly link the reference or it doesn't matter any which way?

Also, what about referencing yourself and such or the degree to which you reference, whether it's how to draw a hand or a full figure in garb drawn as seen?

Here's the picture in question http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/sunny rays/sunshine

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-23 03:51:02 Reply

That isn't knockwurst in the link you posted
but more on topic.
the one you did link, i don't think that's traced, because I think if it had been, the whole thing would be traced, not just the face. and i can see some glaring errors at first glance alone in the body, mostly that broken arm.
You shouldn't put stress on a broken arm, that's just common sense

Using references is an important tool, a tool i need to get more into the habbit of using. When I try to do realism, like an idiot I forget to grab my weapon, even though I know it's dangerous to go alone.
We all know my grasp on realism is...shaky at best, and yet I go in blind with no references and then get pissed that I can't make it look right.

I'm all for using references, but if something looks like a carbon copy, so much so that people think it's traced, you might as well have just traced it, because you're going to get the same shit from people either way.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-23 03:54:08 Reply

At 1/23/11 03:35 AM, Knocturne wrote: What's everyone's position on using a reference and the fineline when you have to judge whether it's referenced or traced?
How do you feel about that? Do you think it's an artist's obligation to say "Yeah, I used a reference for this" and possibly link the reference or it doesn't matter any which way?

Also, what about referencing yourself and such or the degree to which you reference, whether it's how to draw a hand or a full figure in garb drawn as seen?

I think reference comes in handy quite a bit, and I typically use it for poses and practice sketches. so far I have yet to make anything identical. But that is probably more due to the fact that I'm not that good yet.
I really think that an artist should fess up depending on how close it is to the original. IF the copy has the same bikini design, almost identical hair, and exact same background, then yeah I feel morally that the artist should mention reference. I'm not saying they have to, they can keep it silent all they want, but if it comes to light that they do reference but not mention it I think it breaks the fans faith in the artist a little.

if you got a copy of the original image can we see it as well?

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-23 04:02:21 Reply

Oh snap, you're right. When I look at a gallery of an artist, sometimes I click other people's names or what that artist favorites and somehow I got to that guy. In my review of the piece I posted the model's face that they used, I mean. To me, the face is the same, but they drew a full body, which could have been referenced from something else, but yeah I did notice some problems in the picture also hehe

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-23 07:27:57 Reply

oh WOW!! dA is SUCH a cool website and is so generous!! Just LOOk at what I found out while browsing through the settings on my dA account...

...well if you give dA your money you get this thing called a 'Premium Membership' BUT that's not the best part! The BEST part is that when you are a 'Premium Member' you can view all the super cool artistic and wonderful deviations ZOOMED IN!! and you DONT EVEN HAVE TO CLICK!! :O ISN'T DA GREAT! Just imagine how much time you have been wasting clicking to make a deviation zoomed in, thank GOODNESS that dA has this magnificent offer.

no sarcasm intended :B

Art Forum Lounge

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-23 07:33:51 Reply

At 1/23/11 07:27 AM, CloudEater wrote: lol DA.

Ahahahahahahahaha!!! Oh DA. You and your money whoring. Is DA really that poor?

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-23 08:59:57 Reply

At 1/23/11 07:33 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Ahahahahahahahaha!!! Oh DA. You and your money whoring. Is DA really that poor?

It'll be that, or they let a drunk toddler make some, if not all of the financial decisions for there website. If it wasn't an intoxicated small child then it was at least somebody that soils themselves when given the chance to make a serious business decision and just shout what ever comes randomly into their head.

"Eeeerrrrmmm.........Let them zoom without clicking!"

O' silly things make me laugh. Proves that not everybody in business is a head strong, man of numbers type. There are a few idiots out there too.

FREELANCE GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Facebook Page /// Latest Art Piece
- - NG Photoshop Master 2015 - -

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-01-23 10:28:08 Reply

References

I see nothing wrong with references. Hell I encourage them for pretty much anyone. Even the best artists need to reference stuff. Unless you are a cartoonist of some sort and have your character style down pat you should be looking at things to get a better sense of what they really look like. Its nice and all to draw strictly from your mind, but it helps to start with a reference until you get that one thing so memorized that you no longer need to look at it to draw.

Personally I only draw from reference. I find that when i try to draw stuff without one I get lazy and either give up or rush the hell out of the piece because i don't put as much care into it. However with the exception of a few of my porn drawings (and commissions where some one gives me a reference), ALL of my references come from myself. I take my own reference photos, or i find the object to draw from in life. Even the tiny insignificant objects are from my own photos.

I don't think an artist needs to mentioned whether or not they referenced something unless they are asked. However if they did use a reference they shouldn't say that its all from their mind. That is where things get suspicious and people get angry, when suddenly the obvious reference or trace surfaces and they person claimed to have done the piece solely from imagination.