00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

953,422 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 05:55:18

At 12/3/10 03:31 PM, Knocturne wrote: Collab idea someone should do, well not an idea, more like a concept behind the idea:
Superhero/villain collab could be like the superzero contest, maybe fan art, maybe just a hero you wanna make that is super. I want this to happen YEAAAAH

Superhero's and villans are boring imo... I much prefer the nightmare idea. Perhaps if you added more to the criteria than just draw a superhero/villan or has some clever way of putting it together.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 07:37:47

At 12/4/10 05:55 AM, CloudEater wrote:
At 12/3/10 03:31 PM, Knocturne wrote: Collab idea someone should do, well not an idea, more like a concept behind the idea:
Superhero/villain collab could be like the superzero contest, maybe fan art, maybe just a hero you wanna make that is super. I want this to happen YEAAAAH
Superhero's and villans are boring imo... I much prefer the nightmare idea. Perhaps if you added more to the criteria than just draw a superhero/villan or has some clever way of putting it together.

The nightmare thing could really be a little collab on it;s own. A good collab. It's already been done, on that account, probably so it would pay to look for it.

Though a collab of "imaginary figures" be the superhero or monstrosity, isn;t such a bad idea.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 14:02:20

I dunno the monster under your bed has potential too, but the only one I really thought about is the superhero/villain one

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 14:13:09

could always do the monster under your bed is the superhero, or something like that. Might produce interesting results

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 14:16:10

Got approval to host a collab

I'm on a boat, like a boss, I jizzed in my pants

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 14:55:55

At 12/4/10 02:16 PM, Knocturne wrote:
I'm on a boat, like a boss, I jizzed in my pants

Care for some Santana DVX, while we listen to the boombox, on this lazy sunday?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 15:47:14

Woooooooot! I found out my husband was planning on getting me a tablet for Christmas! I'll be bugging you guys for advice when I get it! >.>

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 15:48:13

At 12/4/10 03:47 PM, Abbyka wrote: Woooooooot! I found out my husband was planning on getting me a tablet for Christmas! I'll be bugging you guys for advice when I get it! >.>

What kind?

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 15:56:44

At 12/4/10 03:48 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 12/4/10 03:47 PM, Abbyka wrote: Woooooooot! I found out my husband was planning on getting me a tablet for Christmas! I'll be bugging you guys for advice when I get it! >.>
What kind?

Not sure. He fixes and networks computers so I'm sure he'll find a good reliable one. It was going to be a surprise but I told him I was planning on buying one since my shop was doing well this month. To keep me from buying one he HAD to tell me he was getting it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 16:03:21

At 12/4/10 03:56 PM, Abbyka wrote: Not sure. He fixes and networks computers so I'm sure he'll find a good reliable one. It was going to be a surprise but I told him I was planning on buying one since my shop was doing well this month. To keep me from buying one he HAD to tell me he was getting it.

lol! Tablet's are good. You will have to get used to it as they're a lot smoother than paper. For me getting a tablet seemed to open up heaps of options and possibilities, I wasn't very confident with traditional medias though.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 16:07:12

At 12/4/10 03:56 PM, Abbyka wrote:
At 12/4/10 03:48 PM, Luxembourg wrote: What kind?
Not sure. He fixes and networks computers so I'm sure he'll find a good reliable one. It was going to be a surprise but I told him I was planning on buying one since my shop was doing well this month. To keep me from buying one he HAD to tell me he was getting it.

Make sure he gets wacom! Those are undoubtedly the best there is, no matter which you get [from bamboo to intuos/cintiq, they all do basically the same thing]

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 16:11:03

At 12/4/10 04:07 PM, Batto wrote: Make sure he gets wacom! Those are undoubtedly the best there is, no matter which you get [from bamboo to intuos/cintiq, they all do basically the same thing]

People say this but I've never seen another brand, not ever

What are the other tablet brands?

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 16:17:20

At 12/4/10 04:11 PM, Knocturne wrote:

I'm pretty sure ash has some random no-name brand tablet.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 16:22:04

At 12/4/10 04:11 PM, Knocturne wrote:
At 12/4/10 04:07 PM, Batto wrote: Make sure he gets wacom! Those are undoubtedly the best there is, no matter which you get [from bamboo to intuos/cintiq, they all do basically the same thing]
People say this but I've never seen another brand, not ever

I know there's a 'trust' one out there, and I think 'genius' does them too, but wacom's the best known so don't think the others are so well known

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 17:13:44

He was looking at a bamboo one for $69. But not he saw one that's better for $100 and says he might not be able to get me anything else. Which is fine, the only things I wanted were Left 4 Dead 2 and Death Troopers(it's a book mixing zombies and Star Wars lol). I could probably afford to get at least one of those for myself if my arts and crafts keep selling well.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 17:26:00

At 12/4/10 05:13 PM, Abbyka wrote: He was looking at a bamboo one for $69. But not he saw one that's better for $100 and says he might not be able to get me anything else. Which is fine, the only things I wanted were Left 4 Dead 2 and Death Troopers(it's a book mixing zombies and Star Wars lol). I could probably afford to get at least one of those for myself if my arts and crafts keep selling well.

to be honest they all do the same thing, so it doesn't really matter which wacom you get. I think the more expensive ones come with different nibs and are bigger with more controls, so they're better suited for professionals using them constantly. For me personally, the bamboo is perfect. Does exactly what I need it to do with little problems
also, size tends to reflect how big you like to make strokes when drawing, so if you tend to do great swooping strokes, the bigger the better; otherwise smaller is fine :3
might be worth looking into it more though

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 17:38:54

At 12/4/10 05:26 PM, Batto wrote:

to be honest they all do the same thing, so it doesn't really matter which wacom you get. I think the more expensive ones come with different nibs and are bigger with more controls, so they're better suited for professionals using them constantly. For me personally, the bamboo is perfect. Does exactly what I need it to do with little problems
also, size tends to reflect how big you like to make strokes when drawing, so if you tend to do great swooping strokes, the bigger the better; otherwise smaller is fine :3
might be worth looking into it more though

The two main ones you'd be considering are the bamboo (the simpler beginner tablet) and the Intuos (the professional tablet).

I have a news post intended to be used as a resource that reviews and compares the Bamboo Pen and the Intuos 4.
Since you probably don't want to read all that, I'll give a rundown of the differences.
-The Intuos is significantly bigger.
-The Intuos has tilt sensitivity and has superior pressure sensitivity (though the latter one is hardly noticeable, since the Bamboo has amazing pressure sensitivity to begin with.)
-The Intuos has more features, such as quick keys that can be assigned to any functions you'd like, which make for more convenient navigation and tool switching while drawing.
-The Intuos' pen is worlds more comfortable to use than the Bamboo.
-The Intuos is more reliable. The Bamboo is trusty and works very well, but I had some issues with it and have yet to run into any problems with my Intuos.

But when it comes down to it, yeah, they do the same thing. The Intuos is something I'd recommend for people who can afford it (it's expensive) and know they want something a little better. I got it because my Bamboo stopped working, and I figured that it'd make sense to upgrade at that point.

I recommend you just get the bamboo for your first foray into Digital art. Don't be deceived by the price. It's cheap-ish, but it's damned good.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 17:53:58

I have an Intuos4. so II'd like to add my two sense, if you guys don't mind.

At 12/4/10 05:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I have a news post intended to be used as a resource that reviews and compares the Bamboo Pen and the Intuos 4.
Since you probably don't want to read all that, I'll give a rundown of the differences.

Mine is the Intuos4 Small. The actual drawing surface is around 4x6 or so. It isn't very big. However, the medium and large sizes match most bamboos, I'm pretty sure.

But when it comes down to it, yeah, they do the same thing. The Intuos is something I'd recommend for people who can afford it (it's expensive)

Yeah. Mine (as I said earlier) is the smallest Intuos4, and it cost 200 bucks. They only get more expensive from there.

I recommend you just get the bamboo for your first foray into Digital art. Don't be deceived by the price. It's cheap-ish, but it's damned good.

Many artists on this forum use Bamboos. Off of the top of my head, M-Vero and I are the only ones that use the Intuos (although there may be others).
If you want information on the Cintiq, which is the VERY expensive Wacom tablet, you should talk to AwesomeSaurus. He is the only reg here that has one as far as I know. The Cintiq is different because it displays the screen on the tablet, and is hella awesome >:) (Note: You will be spending around $1000 if you want one of these.)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 18:05:01

At 12/4/10 05:53 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: I have an Intuos4. so II'd like to add my two sense, if you guys don't mind.

At 12/4/10 05:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I have a news post intended to be used as a resource that reviews and compares the Bamboo Pen and the Intuos 4.
Mine is the Intuos4 Small. The actual drawing surface is around 4x6 or so. It isn't very big. However, the medium and large sizes match most bamboos, I'm pretty sure.

That's just a little bigger than the Bamboo's workspace. The Medium's workspace is as big as the enitre bamboo pen; nearly twice the size, I think. Doing a side-by-side comparison (since I still have my bamboo), it really is a lot bigger.

But when it comes down to it, yeah, they do the same thing. The Intuos is something I'd recommend for people who can afford it (it's expensive)
Yeah. Mine (as I said earlier) is the smallest Intuos4, and it cost 200 bucks. They only get more expensive from there.

I paid 400 for an Intuos 4 Medium that came bundled with Corel Painter 11. Yeah, it's a lot. The bundle isn't a bad deal, though, since full art software is usually really expensive.

Many artists on this forum use Bamboos. Off of the top of my head, M-Vero and I are the only ones that use the Intuos (although there may be others).

I think it's fairly evident from my post that I use an Intuos as well.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 18:11:14

At 12/4/10 06:05 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 12/4/10 05:53 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
I paid 400 for an Intuos 4 Medium that came bundled with Corel Painter 11. Yeah, it's a lot. The bundle isn't a bad deal, though, since full art software is usually really expensive.

Yes. My Intuos came with:
Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
Nik Color Efex Pro%u2122 3
Autodesk® SketchBook® Express 2010
Corel® Painter%u2122 Sketch Pad
And a set of Wacom Brushes for Elements8, which I heard was pretty useless.
I did a check a while back though, and the retail price for these programs were around 500 bucks or more.

I think it's fairly evident from my post that I use an Intuos as well.

Oh,, sorry. I was under the impression that you were using a Bamboo? Well anyways, Lux uses one too xD

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 18:17:58

I've got a bamboo fun small, 5.8 wide by 3.7 deep.
Now, I've got big hands, but I don't find the size of it that inhibitory.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 18:23:53

At 12/4/10 06:17 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I've got a bamboo fun small, 5.8 wide by 3.7 deep.

The size isn't that big a deal when you adjust to whatever tablet it is you're using.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 19:37:55

At 12/4/10 06:17 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I've got a bamboo fun small, 5.8 wide by 3.7 deep.

I've got a tablet. It's a Wacom. It's black. That is literally the extent of my knowledge of it. Literally, I know absolutely nothing else about it. I don't need to. I put a sticker on it. It's totally mine.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 20:31:26

I think the only thing that matters for me in size. I do tend to need something bigger to draw on because my hand shakes too much for small details and drawings. I think my husband said something about better pen sensitivity and that I could use my finger instead of the pen if I really wanted to. Not sure which one he was looking at though.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 20:35:29

At 12/4/10 08:31 PM, Abbyka wrote: I think the only thing that matters for me in size. I do tend to need something bigger to draw on because my hand shakes too much for small details and drawings. I think my husband said something about better pen sensitivity and that I could use my finger instead of the pen if I really wanted to. Not sure which one he was looking at though.

That's a Bamboo Pen/Touch or a Bamboo Fun, I believe, since I think those are the only Wacoms that have touch control.
That's assuming it's a wacom, of course. It might be some other brand, of which I have no knowledge.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 21:31:10

I asked him a little while ago after I last posted and it's a touch. I can't wait! I'm going to get started immediately on that flash I've been wanting to do. :D

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 21:42:33

At 12/4/10 09:31 PM, Abbyka wrote: I asked him a little while ago after I last posted and it's a touch. I can't wait! I'm going to get started immediately on that flash I've been wanting to do. :D

Awesome, congrats on the forthcoming tablet. Making Flash is one labor intensive project, but if you can get to the finish line it's totally worthwhile.

--

Have any of you guys built a PC before?

I'm currently looking at doing just that, I figure I can cannabalize several components from an older desktop and get by just buying a new Motherboard, CPU and PSU, and maybe a new chassis (the old one has a somewhat peculiar design that might limit components). I figure the benefit is two fold, I save money and learn more about the machine. The drawbacks, of course, are; I might fuck something up or destroy something in the process of putting it together/starting it up.

So, I'd like to hear from any of you that might have experience in the field: is it worthwhile and doable?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 21:51:51

At 12/4/10 09:42 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 12/4/10 09:31 PM, Abbyka wrote: I asked him a little while ago after I last posted and it's a touch. I can't wait! I'm going to get started immediately on that flash I've been wanting to do. :D
Awesome, congrats on the forthcoming tablet. Making Flash is one labor intensive project, but if you can get to the finish line it's totally worthwhile.

--

Have any of you guys built a PC before?

I'm currently looking at doing just that, I figure I can cannabalize several components from an older desktop and get by just buying a new Motherboard, CPU and PSU, and maybe a new chassis (the old one has a somewhat peculiar design that might limit components). I figure the benefit is two fold, I save money and learn more about the machine. The drawbacks, of course, are; I might fuck something up or destroy something in the process of putting it together/starting it up.

So, I'd like to hear from any of you that might have experience in the field: is it worthwhile and doable?

I've done a small animated gif by hand and it worked out nicely. And the idea I have is quite simple so it should be a good practice project to do my first time around. :D

My husband builds computers. You have to be careful where you get your parts, he got a bad motherboard from some place online and they refused to replace it and we paid them to repair it several times and they never did. Eventually one good employee did, but now another piece was discovered to not work.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 22:04:59

At 12/4/10 09:42 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Have any of you guys built a PC before?

You should talk to Snowman, he custom built his entire computer.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-04 22:13:18

God! I have one piece I've been trying to submit for weeks and it won't submit! It just gets stuck at the loading submission part. D:<