New Topic Respond to this Topic
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:45:51 Reply

At 11/16/10 02:41 PM, Kosuk wrote: hey guys... one question, can you save threads here?

what do you mean save?... you can alway have a hyperlink saved somewhere you know... they never get deleted unless A) stupid thread in the first place or B) thread host asks for it to be deleted...

Oh screw you Legoland >:(

You know... if i was a mod... you would have a combo of FIVE different mods... :P

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:48:03 Reply

At 11/16/10 02:45 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
You know... if i was a mod... you would have a combo of FIVE different mods... :P

Maybe you could be an icon mod. You know; extra work and none of the priveledge or recognition!

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:49:12 Reply

At 11/16/10 02:48 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Maybe you could be an icon mod. You know; extra work and none of the priveledge or recognition!

Im already a flash mod.. and you already have a small army of icon mods... :P

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:52:06 Reply

At 11/16/10 02:48 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 11/16/10 02:45 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
Maybe you could be an icon mod. You know; extra work and none of the priveledge or recognition or piss aura or powers!

oh poo everyone knows i havent done any extra work :P

Kosuk
Kosuk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 15:19:01 Reply

oh yeh i just could bookmark it...! hahaha!!

well then thank you Lego!
can i call you lego?

OH yeah! hey I have added a pic in my thread and in the critique thread, if you poeple could go there and give some advice, it would be great!
I hope im not breaking any rules asking that?

But there's no sence crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

-Portal, Still alive

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 15:20:59 Reply

At 11/16/10 03:19 PM, Kosuk wrote: well then thank you Lego!
can i call you lego?

Np... and i dont mind... you just saw what toasty called me :P

BBS Signature
Kosuk
Kosuk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 15:37:34 Reply

At 11/16/10 03:20 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 11/16/10 03:19 PM, Kosuk wrote: well then thank you Lego!
can i call you lego?
Np... and i dont mind... you just saw what toasty called me :P

haha toasty? well then, for now on, you will be called lego from me!

But there's no sence crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

-Portal, Still alive

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 15:55:53 Reply

I want to know what everyone really prefers. I've never done a successful CG color rendering in my drawings and probably never will unless I get a tablet to draw with. Scanning my stuff then trying to render the color never seems to work well for some reason. So I end up coloring with colored pencils. Does it take away from the look to use colored pencils or does it give it something some CG rendered art doesn't have? (Yes I made a thread for this but was directed here)

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 16:04:58 Reply

It's all preferences really, but something digital does really well is neatness.
Bold, solid colors that you just can't really get from traditional.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 16:15:19 Reply

I find it really hard to get the pencil crayons to colour the want I want. They always end up too sketchy or smudgy.

Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 16:16:16 Reply

At 11/16/10 04:04 PM, M-Vero wrote: It's all preferences really, but something digital does really well is neatness.
Bold, solid colors that you just can't really get from traditional.

Well with colored pencils, if you press down hard enough you can get good color saturation/bold color. But you tend to use up your colored pencils quickly doing this. I've been doing the pressing down hard thing for years and I go through a package of colored pencils every month. >.<

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 18:41:14 Reply

There are a lot of differences between traditional and digital media.
-Digital media is usually neater.
-Digital colors are usually bolder and smoother. (Even if you can get a bold color out of a colored pencil, it has a texture to it that, while sometimes nice isn't always desirable.)
-Traditional Media can achieve aesthetics difficult for digital media to duplicate. For instance, watercolors are a form of paint that can only be done properly traditionally, and pencil and physical textures cannot be entirely duplicated digitally.
-The methods are very different, of course.

It's all a matter of preference. What many seem to fail to realize is that there is no reason in the world that people can't dabble in both forms, and since each has its advantages, why argue which is better?

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 18:58:46 Reply

tried the game factory 2, instant dislike of it and everything in it, its not really a program to make real games, but more those minigames people make in a day for little kids, guess whos gunna learn actionscript :P

im learning C# at college so cant be too different

games ho!!
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 19:58:02 Reply

At 11/16/10 06:41 PM, Luxembourg wrote: There are a lot of differences between traditional and digital media.
-Digital media is usually neater.
-Digital colors are usually bolder and smoother. (Even if you can get a bold color out of a colored pencil, it has a texture to it that, while sometimes nice isn't always desirable.)
-Traditional Media can achieve aesthetics difficult for digital media to duplicate. For instance, watercolors are a form of paint that can only be done properly traditionally, and pencil and physical textures cannot be entirely duplicated digitally.
-The methods are very different, of course.

It's all a matter of preference. What many seem to fail to realize is that there is no reason in the world that people can't dabble in both forms, and since each has its advantages, why argue which is better?

The main reason I ask is because I've had people complain that I use colored pencils instead of CG rendering. It just annoys me that people cannot appreciate the traditional way of art anymore. :/ I'm too poor for the equipment required for CG rendering(tablet).

UrnSudden
UrnSudden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:02:51 Reply

if using traditional media,make sure you duplicate something realistic.textures usually look best like that...i notice you tend to make "toon" esque things,which is great,but not in colored pencil...in my opinion

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:09:04 Reply

At 11/16/10 07:58 PM, Abbyka wrote:

The main reason I ask is because I've had people complain that I use colored pencils instead of CG rendering. It just annoys me that people cannot appreciate the traditional way of art anymore. :/ I'm too poor for the equipment required for CG rendering(tablet).

I think that's partially the manner in which you use the colored pencils. While usually pretty neat and well done, there are a couple of places that it doesn't look nearly as neat as most of the people browsing the art portal are used to seeing. ie: on the zombies, the blood is really sloppy looking.
It's not that people can't appreciate the traditional means; most of my pieces are straight monochrome pencil or pen and I never get any complaints.
And a tablet isn't allthat expensive. Check out the Wacom Bamboo Pen. If you can't afford $70 at the moment, that's perfectly fine, but it's a very worthwhile investment and it's something I'd recommend saving up for.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:14:01 Reply

At 11/16/10 08:02 PM, gween123 wrote: if using traditional media,make sure you duplicate something realistic.textures usually look best like that...i notice you tend to make "toon" esque things,which is great,but not in colored pencil...in my opinion

I'd also like to point out that gween has a very good point. I don't agree that pencils should only be used for realistic things (they can be great for stylistic works, too), but cartoons are usually very neat in style and are simply better suited to presentation through digital graphics.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:34:12 Reply

At 11/16/10 08:09 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 11/16/10 07:58 PM, Abbyka wrote:

I think that's partially the manner in which you use the colored pencils. While usually pretty neat and well done, there are a couple of places that it doesn't look nearly as neat as most of the people browsing the art portal are used to seeing. ie: on the zombies, the blood is really sloppy looking.
It's not that people can't appreciate the traditional means; most of my pieces are straight monochrome pencil or pen and I never get any complaints.
And a tablet isn't allthat expensive. Check out the Wacom Bamboo Pen. If you can't afford $70 at the moment, that's perfectly fine, but it's a very worthwhile investment and it's something I'd recommend saving up for.

YEah $70 is too much for us right now. We'll be lucky if the kids even get x-mas gifts this year.

My colored pencil style is admittedly sloppy, I know. I'm shocked I can even draw a straight line anymore because I've got an old shoulder injury as well as a pinched nerve in my elbow. Years ago they told me it might freeze up and I might not be able to draw again. D: After a while of doing the pressing down thing my arm starts to hurt and I get lazy. The blood is usually the LAST thing I do, so that's always the worst.

Thank you for the link though, I'm going to save it for when and if we can afford it. While I do like my colored pencils I need to move on to the CG because of the arm thing. I'm just worried I'll suck at it, I'm not very tech savvy. D:

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:41:16 Reply

Good luck, Abby. Things sound a bit tough, and I hope you can eventually move into the digital stuff.
----------------------------------------
On a different subject, my version of Corel painter Essentials is no longer functional due to some error I think I caused, and I can't reinstall it because my disc is in North Carolina.
I think I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to the full version, expensive though it may be. I've used up a trial version and I have to admit that I love it. They've got a deal on their site: a midsize Intuous bundled with a full version of Corel Painter 11 for $429. I would be asking for this as a Christmas gift, and I'd like to know if you guys think it's a good deal or not.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:47:39 Reply

At 11/16/10 08:41 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Good luck, Abby. Things sound a bit tough, and I hope you can eventually move into the digital stuff.
On a different subject, my version of Corel painter Essentials is no longer functional due to some error I think I caused, and I can't reinstall it because my disc is in North Carolina.
I think I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to the full version, expensive though it may be. I've used up a trial version and I have to admit that I love it. They've got a deal on their site: a midsize Intuous bundled with a full version of Corel Painter 11 for $429. I would be asking for this as a Christmas gift, and I'd like to know if you guys think it's a good deal or not.

Thanks. I'll make sure to ask advice once I get started!

And $429? Oh my penny pinching heart, it's spazzing out! LOL Personally I'd never spend that much on something, but my husband usually knows how to find these kind of things for free. <.< How much is it normally? If you're saving at least $100 I'd jump on it immediately without hesitation.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:54:13 Reply

At 11/16/10 08:47 PM, Abbyka wrote:

And $429? Oh my penny pinching heart, it's spazzing out! LOL Personally I'd never spend that much on something, but my husband usually knows how to find these kind of things for free. <.< How much is it normally? If you're saving at least $100 I'd jump on it immediately without hesitation.

It is a lot, but this is a professional level tablet and professional level software we're talking about. If I had this, I'd be set for a long time. Considering the fact that I really intend to pursue visual arts- perhaps as a college major, if I can reach a good enough point by the time I really need to consider schools- I think it's a good investment. I don't ask my parents for much, but this is something I think would do me well and I know we can afford it.
Under normal circumstances, the tablet is $350 and the software is $300. I'm saving a little more than $300.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:58:26 Reply

At 11/16/10 08:54 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I'm saving a little more than $300.

$200, I mean. Typo.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 20:59:23 Reply

At 11/16/10 08:54 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 11/16/10 08:47 PM, Abbyka wrote:

It is a lot, but this is a professional level tablet and professional level software we're talking about. If I had this, I'd be set for a long time. Considering the fact that I really intend to pursue visual arts- perhaps as a college major, if I can reach a good enough point by the time I really need to consider schools- I think it's a good investment. I don't ask my parents for much, but this is something I think would do me well and I know we can afford it.
Under normal circumstances, the tablet is $350 and the software is $300. I'm saving a little more than $300.

Well since it is for something you plan to pursue career wise then it would be a good investment. If it was for fun(like what I'm doing) then no, I wouldn't spend that much. Plus it sounds like you would be saving quite a bit if you got this deal.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 21:12:56 Reply

At 11/16/10 01:43 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Amen to that!! Also, if it's posted in the portal, you can contact any Art Mod!

Looks like there will be a Holiday Card Exchange after all! Yay! :D

Well, I sure as hell love hanging out at the General Forum, and it gives me a chance to go ahead and do something really fun for X-Mas and all, so yeah, I'm going to go ahead and participate in this one.

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 23:16:14 Reply

What the hell is this?

I know there is a thread to get rid of accounts like these.

Art Forum Lounge

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 23:23:27 Reply

At 11/16/10 11:16 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: What the hell is this?
I know there is a thread to get rid of accounts like these.

I got that same PM two days ago.
Also, nice double window =P

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 23:26:50 Reply

At 11/16/10 11:23 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I got that same PM two days ago.
Also, nice double window =P

I fail at using printscreen.

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 23:28:06 Reply

Read the quote from Occluded I highlighted, it says quite the lot about him.

He's jealous.

Art Forum Lounge

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 23:31:38 Reply

At 11/16/10 11:28 PM, phsychopath wrote: Read the quote from Occluded I highlighted, it says quite the lot about him.

He's jealous.

Shut up man. We know you think your awesome so just keep to yourself.

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 23:49:51 Reply

At 11/16/10 11:28 PM, phsychopath wrote: Read the quote from Occluded I highlighted, it says quite the lot about him.

Yup, it says he's humble, honest and has a sense of humor. He's a rel stand-up kinda guy!!

He's jealous.

Of your Ferrari? Who isn't!