00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lilwilbug just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Good Captains Art Thread

74,353 Views | 618 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-07-18 14:35:17

At 7/18/13 01:05 PM, Captain wrote: Another update on digital painting project. Abdomen just about finished, still not all nicely blended yet, but shadows/highlights/shapes are all refined. Chug through the rest of it over the weekend.

theres a lot of depth in those abs man! great job

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-07-18 15:24:22

At 7/18/13 01:05 PM, Captain wrote: Another update on digital painting project. Abdomen just about finished, still not all nicely blended yet, but shadows/highlights/shapes are all refined. Chug through the rest of it over the weekend.

You've really kicked up your game here, the blending is coming along quite smoothly.

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-07-18 15:58:55

At 7/18/13 03:24 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: You've really kicked up your game here, the blending is coming along quite smoothly.

Actually very little blending so far, it's still pretty rough when you look at it up close. Blending it all smooth and adding details like scratches and stuff will be my last step. It's been a good learning experience, but have a lot more work still to do. Due Monday, so I'll have it finished then!

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-07-22 17:52:56

Finished-ish project. Changed it up at the end because I was getting bored and didn't feel like finishing the chest or pedestal. Still some tweaks and things I want to add to this, but will probably be a bit until I get the chance to. So for now it's done. Will be adding higher quality to portal.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-07-27 18:34:02

Here's a mostly finished drawing/painting of a dog for current assignment for class. We went over doing underpaintings with acrylic or something, scanning it, than digitally painting on top of it in class. Makes things looks less digital. Trying it out, really liking the results.

Probably going to do a lot more of this. Really helps reduce the time to create a piece to. Might actually need to buy a scanner now ha ha.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-09-20 12:41:37

Trying to build a stronger illustration portfolio, specifically trying to improve my sense of narrative. This one is getting there, but not quite yet. Next 2 pieces I'm working on right now are stronger, gonna try and get those done at a faster pace.

Done with acrylics and photoshop.

Higher quality: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/captain/party-foul

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-09-20 12:43:53

Just a t-shirt design I did for a local club. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-09-20 13:20:00

WOW your art is so inspiring!

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-12-15 21:28:03

Had to make a dust jacket for 2 books for my graphics final.

Did one for Akira and Jekyll and Hyde. This is the dust jacket I made for Akira.

Done with Pen, Watercolor, and Digital.

Higher res here: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/captain/akira-full-dust-jacket

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2013-12-15 21:29:38

Just the front cover for a better look.

High res: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/captain/akira-book-cover

I have to do some more work on the jekyll and hyde cover before I want to post it, but it'll find its way on here.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2014-01-08 22:49:29

Have been slacking on the drawing front lately, wanted to get something done. Trying out something a little different process-wise.

What do you think? I'm thinking of cutting out the halftone in the pants, think it's a bit much.
Thoughts?

Pencil, Pen, Digital

Higher res: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/captain/2-young-2-die

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2014-01-09 08:20:52

At 1/8/14 10:49 PM, Captain wrote: What do you think? I'm thinking of cutting out the halftone in the pants, think it's a bit much.
Thoughts?

The bleeding head, shouldn't the blood that is at the back be behind the neck?

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2014-01-13 13:14:48

At 1/9/14 08:20 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 1/8/14 10:49 PM, Captain wrote: What do you think? I'm thinking of cutting out the halftone in the pants, think it's a bit much.
Thoughts?
The bleeding head, shouldn't the blood that is at the back be behind the neck?

I was thinking that the hole head would be in front of his body, so all drippies visible, I guess maybe a shadow in there or something might make it more obvious. It's also partly because I didn't really want it to make a ton sense from a spacial standpoint.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2014-01-13 14:50:56

At 1/13/14 01:14 PM, Captain wrote:
At 1/9/14 08:20 AM, bigjonny13 wrote: The bleeding head, shouldn't the blood that is at the back be behind the neck?
I was thinking that the hole head would be in front of his body, so all drippies visible, I guess maybe a shadow in there or something might make it more obvious. It's also partly because I didn't really want it to make a ton sense from a spacial standpoint.

Yeah. I wasn't sure if the head was severed and flying above the neck or in front of it, so I just assumed the first one.

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2015-02-09 18:57:56

Hey guys, it's been ages.

Post-college life has been a lot of fun and pretty time consuming, so I've let my internet activities slip by the wayside.

I've been teaching full time for a while now, and it's been a lot of fun. Bonus to my job is that I have lots of time to work on my own stuff.

I'm going to be dumping a bunch of work here and in the portal for those of you around that still might care. I need to poke through the forum and see what everyone else has been up to.

I'll start with doodles first.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2015-02-09 18:59:00

Doodles

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2015-02-09 18:59:46

Doodle doodle