00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Coheed23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wake up, Programmers!

1,199 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 10:40:49

Come on guys, we need to make this section of the BBS more active!

Let's have some suggestions here.. as to what we should discuss.

I'll start - what music do you like listening to while programming? What gets you going and gets those creative, programming juices flowing?

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 11:28:23

I'm not a programmer. I'm a lover.

Hehe, nothing like some good 'scripting music.' I usually listen to Queen or Cream.

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 12:16:31

I'm not very knowledgeable in the ways of programming, so I tend not to listen to music while I'm still learning, or doing lessons in a book or something. When I work on websites or HTML coding though, I listen to Reel Big Fish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, or Lords of Acid.

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 13:45:45

At 6/25/01 12:16 PM, Freakapotimus wrote: I'm not very knowledgeable in the ways of programming, so I tend not to listen to music while I'm still learning, or doing lessons in a book or something. When I work on websites or HTML coding though, I listen to Reel Big Fish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, or Lords of Acid.

Ooh yah.. LOA is good programming music!
Makes me productive AND horny at the same time!

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 14:07:25

At 6/25/01 10:40 AM, MassiveBit wrote: Come on guys, we need to make this section of the BBS more active!

I'll start - what music do you like listening to while programming? What gets you going and gets those creative, programming juices flowing?

I took the day off work today for some R&R.... Could that have anything to do with the fact that it's been the hottest day of the year here so far? ;) Beer garden weather!

Anyway, when I'm programming I usually listen to stuff that's not going to kick in and freak me out part way through the tune... I usually program a tracklist into winamp. Massive Attack, Faithless, Prodigy (easier stuff), Orbital, Moby and some of the old tunes by REM and U2 are amongst what usually goes in there.

To digress... Favourite snacking material?

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 15:01:45

At 6/25/01 10:40 AM, MassiveBit wrote: Come on guys, we need to make this section of the BBS more active!

Let's have some suggestions here.. as to what we should discuss.

When I get stuck into some heavy-duty programming or designing I tend to get pretty engrossed and block everything else out so it doesn't really matter what I listen to. Man that sounds sad...

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 15:30:13

At 6/25/01 02:07 PM, liljim wrote: I took the day off work today for some R&R.... Could that have anything to do with the fact that it's been the hottest day of the year here so far? ;) Beer garden weather!

What's a "beer garden"?

And I forgot to mention what I actually listen to..
· Orbital
· Chemical Brothers
· Lords of Acid
· Propellerheads
· Massive Attack
· Bjork
· Snooze
· Pink Floyd
· Ween
· Prodigy (Jilted)
· Dj Shadow
· Keoki
· Radiohead

But sometimes I'm in a very aggresive programming mood and I listen to heavier stuff like:

· Metallica instrumentals
· Machinehead
· Skinny Puppy
· Deftones
· Powerman 5000
· Pantera
· Fear Factory
· Pitchshifter
· Quicksand
· Danzig

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 16:01:21

At 6/25/01 03:30 PM, MassiveBit wrote:
What's a "beer garden"?

It's just a garden belonging to a pub. The best ones are out in the countryside, but the town and city pubs are paying more and more attention to their gardens... Probably because there are people (like me) who're perfectly content to sit drinking in them all day (when it's good weather).

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-25 16:22:05

At 6/25/01 04:01 PM, liljim wrote:
At 6/25/01 03:30 PM, MassiveBit wrote:
What's a "beer garden"?
It's just a garden belonging to a pub. The best ones are out in the countryside, but the town and city pubs are paying more and more attention to their gardens... Probably because there are people (like me) who're perfectly content to sit drinking in them all day (when it's good weather).

Ah sounds nice.. wish we had some of those in the states.

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-26 00:16:16

Any shit by 311.

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-26 10:00:14

At 6/25/01 04:22 PM, MassiveBit wrote:
At 6/25/01 04:01 PM, liljim wrote: It's just a garden belonging to a pub.

We have one, Kon! It's in the middle of Reading Terminal Market! Although, I do think Jim's beer garden sounds much, much better.

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-26 12:42:47

At 6/26/01 10:00 AM, Freakapotimus wrote:
At 6/25/01 04:22 PM, MassiveBit wrote:
At 6/25/01 04:01 PM, liljim wrote: It's just a garden belonging to a pub.
We have one, Kon! It's in the middle of Reading Terminal Market! Although, I do think Jim's beer garden sounds much, much better.

Reading Terminal Market?? Where in the hell is that?
And I don't think it's quite the same as what jim's talking about.

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-26 14:00:44

At 6/26/01 12:42 PM, MassiveBit wrote: Reading Terminal Market?? Where in the hell is that?

How long did you go to school here? Silly Kon! Reading Terminal Market, at 12th and Arch Streets. Although their Beer Garden is nothing like what Jim was talking about. At this one, you may get little plastic cups when you order a pitcher while sitting at picnic-like plastic tables and chairs.

Here's a link:
http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-26 15:40:42

At 6/26/01 02:00 PM, Freakapotimus wrote: At this one, you may get little plastic cups when you order a pitcher while sitting at picnic-like plastic tables and chairs.

Depending on what area you're in, you may well get your beer served in a plastic cup here - people can do less damage to one another with plastic ;)

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-26 16:00:40

At 6/26/01 03:40 PM, liljim wrote: Depending on what area you're in, you may well get your beer served in a plastic cup here - people can do less damage to one another with plastic ;)

Yea, they do it here too. When bars are having a special they'll just hand out plastic cups which will solve their pint glass deficit.

Response to Wake up, Programmers! 2001-06-26 16:08:18

At 6/26/01 02:00 PM, Freakapotimus wrote:
At 6/26/01 12:42 PM, MassiveBit wrote: Reading Terminal Market?? Where in the hell is that?
How long did you go to school here? Silly Kon! Reading Terminal Market, at 12th and Arch Streets. Although their Beer Garden is nothing like what Jim was talking about. At this one, you may get little plastic cups when you order a pitcher while sitting at picnic-like plastic tables and chairs.

Here's a link:
http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

5 years! but I'm done :)

anyway, i see what you're talking about now.. pretty neat, but as we both said, not what Jim was talking about.