00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

fxolzzzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of December 2007!

36,686 Views | 146 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 10:36:23

Wow, thanks for including me in the monthly 20 :D

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 10:36:54

OH SHIT! I'm gunna tear ass all over Pico Day! The script is written, now to set the stage!

If Jesus were a gun, I'd fill you with his love!

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 10:43:43

awesome stuff this month :D PALADIN: the game roxxors ma boxxors

Art Thread

Sig by ME!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 11:13:27

Wow, the movies' votes were pretty bad this month D:..

Half of the runner-ups were way better than some of the top 5 imo, but My NG was a good cartoon :).

The games are all awesome too :D!

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 13:44:20

If only I could find the time to watch all those movies...

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 13:47:55

At 1/8/08 05:00 PM, Luis wrote: I dunno like maybe the grand prize is your very own pair of uzi's to go terrorize your middle school with.. I dont know exactly what the prize should be... like maybe some big figurine like that tankmen one that was on display at comic con. Something thats like really special and commemorates the day more than a freakin certificate and money thats gone by the next day on strippers and booze.

Luis is absolutely correct. Send the strippers and booze directly to the winners this year.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 14:15:31

At 1/8/08 04:19 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 1/8/08 04:05 PM, Luis wrote:
At 1/8/08 02:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: Just a heads up - April 30th is Pico Day and there WILL be prizes, which I will announce later! If you aren't familiar with Pico Day, check out Pico Day 2006 and Pico Day 2007.
How about if the prizes are something unique this year rather than some rediculous armor-games-like cashothon... its nice to make money but those contests are a dime a dozen. fuck that. it'd be nice for people to actually be motivated to make something for pico day because they enjoy the franchise and the site that bred them and not because they have their phone bill they need to pay.
sounds interesting, just know that shipping is a bitch,
shippin a piece of paper is easier :-D

now im curious, what you have in mind?

- A small "bonus" award could f.ex. be that the winner gets his profile image handmade, instead of the common level aura... or this could very well be something that the monthly winner would get when winning. it'd look cool on the forums at least. :) Maybe giving the winner some other site priviledges that would last for a year or so?

- #1 award, a trip to hawaii.... :) no really, a trip or maybe an invitation to the annual mod-meet, all expenses paid. Trip trip. E. Or a trip to philly, with a "Pico-Party" arranged by NG. Hook up some local NG audio artists (and/or other) and off ye goooo.

- a 1:1 Pico-dummy. with holes.

Wakka wakka

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 16:08:35

Holy Shit. Pico Day ALREADY?!

My god, I still remember LAST year's major submissions. The year is going by too quickly.

Most Recent Flash I Voiced In! (UPDATED 6/1/11)

Most Recent Outside Project Voiced In! (UPDATED 2/5/12)

Add me on Skype: NGsonicmega

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 16:48:41

I'm surprised It's a Halo Thing only made runner up, despite it being a bandwagon fan-flash, it was quality work with grade A art, animation, script and voice acting.

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 22:00:54

wow, i was sure "It's a Halo Thing" would have made it to top five. I'm just as surprised as the Awesome's Creed being a top 5 animation last month.

oh well.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-09 22:38:43

December felt slow to me for some reason...I may just be recovering from a bored for 2 1/2 weeks though.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 09:59:40

Why do you say, "Don't vote for videos."

If they're made in flash they're technically still animating.

Hell you're technically still animating IN FRAMES when you're filming something.

I don't see why must hold such a bias. I mean I understand that a lot of videos are usually stupid.

But you can paint with a camera just as much as with a flash brush. If you know what you're doing...

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 11:21:05

At 1/10/08 09:59 AM, JackPhantasm wrote: Why do you say, "Don't vote for videos."

If they're made in flash they're technically still animating.

Hell you're technically still animating IN FRAMES when you're filming something.

I don't see why must hold such a bias. I mean I understand that a lot of videos are usually stupid.

But you can paint with a camera just as much as with a flash brush. If you know what you're doing...

To do the things in Flash that a newbie could do with a camera would take generations. Like literally, to animate all the movements of a person in a 60 second film segment, I would have to work into my old age and then pass the cartoon down to my hypothetical son, who would continue to work where I left off. It's an entirely different art than filming, which already gets crazy exposure on sites all across the net.

Flash deserves its own sacred place. Until then, Newgrounds will have to do (bahaha that was like a joke only not as funny).

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 11:44:32

At 1/10/08 11:21 AM, The-Swain wrote:
Flash deserves its own sacred place. Until then, Newgrounds will have to do (bahaha that was like a joke only not as funny).

Sorry but making a real film takes just as long, I wasn't referring to youtube crap.

You guys think that you can just film something in 60 seconds and it will look like you want it to.

Haha.

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 11:56:37

Ah, like "My Newgrounds"? Well, obviously stuff like Afro-Ninja's "How to be a Guitar Hero" (which was nicely thought out, long, and well edited considering it was a one-man-production) are deserving of the attention they get. And yeah, making a "real film" takes just as long if not longer than it does to make a "real cartoon", but I haven't seen much of either around here ;)

At 1/10/08 11:44 AM, JackPhantasm wrote: Sorry but making a real film takes just as long, I wasn't referring to youtube crap.

You guys think that you can just film something in 60 seconds and it will look like you want it to.

Haha.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 12:21:48

At 1/10/08 11:56 AM, The-Swain wrote: Ah, like "My Newgrounds"? Well, obviously stuff like Afro-Ninja's "How to be a Guitar Hero" (which was nicely thought out, long, and well edited considering it was a one-man-production) are deserving of the attention they get. And yeah, making a "real film" takes just as long if not longer than it does to make a "real cartoon", but I haven't seen much of either around here ;)

Yes exactly, someone might be inclined to vote for an animation of that nature, but then see tom's little "NO VIDEOS" note and not vote for it.

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 16:29:45

hey guys i'm jack phantasm and i am a filmmaker
and because of that i have to defend every piece of film ever on this site
even if it's just a 12-year-old BBS faggot flailing his arms on a webcam and then drawing shitty flash drawings on top.
watch me cause controversy because i am just that damn cool.

- jack phantasm (otherwise known as stupid fucking imbecile.)

fatty fatty fatso fat-fat-fat

tubby tubby tub-o-lard

fat-fat-fat!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 17:01:47

At 1/10/08 04:29 PM, gwammah wrote: hey guys i'm jack phantasm and i am a filmmaker
and because of that i have to defend every piece of film ever on this site
even if it's just a 12-year-old BBS faggot flailing his arms on a webcam and then drawing shitty flash drawings on top.
watch me cause controversy because i am just that damn cool.

- jack phantasm (otherwise known as stupid fucking imbecile.)

lmfao seriously

i can say from experience, a well animated flash takes about ten times as long to make as a well edited film. ive made numerous decent live action films that i edited, in their entirety, in the course of a few days. i've also made numerous flashes that got so complex and difficult that they've taken months, even years to make... and im STILL not finished with em.
and if you want to get into it even more, a traditional animation takes ten times as long as both a flash and a film combined.

in short, dont act like you know the first thing about flash animation when you've never made one yourself

tre

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 17:06:57

At 1/10/08 05:01 PM, f0d wrote: in short, dont act like you know the first thing about flash animation when you've never made one yourself

Hey, f00d, havent you heard?
Holding a camera in your hands magically grants you the power and knowledge of every medium ever, including all various forms of animation and the skills required to do them.

i mean thats how Tex Avery did it......

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 18:14:16

At 1/10/08 05:06 PM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: i mean thats how Tex Avery did it......

yes but tex avery WAS the son of odin had hands made of pure golden healing light.

so its just a little unfair to compare animation styles...

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 18:21:12

At 1/10/08 05:06 PM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: i mean thats how Tex Avery did it......

Did somebody say Tex Avery?

Best of December 2007!

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 19:05:57

I think I already clarified that I meant stuff like afro ninjas guitar thing you dumb faggots.

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-10 19:36:18

yeaah uhh afro ninjas guitar thing isnt exactly great filmmaking...

tre

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-11 00:10:51

Congrats, Winners.
You had it in yourself.
Keep it up.

Prakash

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-11 00:45:38

At 1/10/08 07:36 PM, f0d wrote: yeaah uhh afro ninjas guitar thing isnt exactly great filmmaking...

Certainly not, but does it have to be?
It took time and effort to make, about three weeks. Was it easier than a flash animation? Definitely. But I've always been more of a programmer anyway. If I really try I can pump out a game in three weeks too. It was a fun break from regular flash work. But it's not fair to do a direct comparison. It would take years for one person to animate (fully) what I did as a video, that's why video exists. No one sits down and thinks 'hey, I wan't to do an eight minute fully rendered animation of me playing guitar hero'

As for the entertainment quality, it's hit and miss. A lot of people liked it, some didn't. Yeah it's stupid and corny, I'm not going to pretend it wasn't. You're never going to please everyone and I didn't care if I did anyway, it was for fun and practice with video editing. It was on front page for a little bit, but the score stayed around 3.84 and it came in at #19 for the month. So I wouldn't really call it overrated or anything.

Yes this is a flash portal but I think there should be value place on entertainment as well. My Newgrounds for example. I liked it, although I do think it's a little overrated at the moment, but what can you expect. Halo cartoons and claymations get overrated too, it's not anything new. Yeah it was based off an HP commercial but still well done and creative. I'd rather watch it than a medicore animation, even if the animation took more time.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-11 00:56:47

At 1/11/08 12:45 AM, Afro-Ninja wrote:
At 1/10/08 07:36 PM, f0d wrote: yeaah uhh afro ninjas guitar thing isnt exactly great filmmaking...
Certainly not, but does it have to be? (.... etc etc ...) I'd rather watch it than a medicore animation, even if the animation took more time.

NO DONT WURRY SHAN I ALREADY DEFENDED U!!!1

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-11 01:51:21

At 1/11/08 12:56 AM, The-Swain wrote: NO DONT WURRY SHAN I ALREADY DEFENDED U!!!1

THX MYKE YOU ARE A SWELL FREND

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-11 02:18:44

You guys are funny!

If Jesus were a gun, I'd fill you with his love!

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-11 08:23:05

I though the last awesome compilation sucked personally. $Miss dynamite and the halo parody should have definately ranked above it but i guess thats just my opinion(sp?).

Thanks to Cagedsilhouette for my sig.

R.I.P George Carlin, 1937-2008

R.I.P Dimebag Darrell, 1966-2004

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2007! 2008-01-11 09:05:46

wow, awesome new review format!
Took me by suprise! ^^

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature