00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lbkush just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I've got it all. Except..

1,506 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 07:56:22

I have every VST and ReFill I could possibly want for FL Studio and Reason.
I have no problem thinking of a melody or sequence. Inspirations come pouring in faster than I can get them out.

But I can't find any motivation to do anything. It just feels like I'm doing it like homework, not because I'll benefit from it, but I "have" to. I can't find any real "reason" to even finish something after I get to 8 measures anymore.

So what do you do to get your motivation?

Don't "MAC7 GO / UPLOAD SOMETHING FOR ONCE" please.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 08:03:59

I scrap it and start again. Or I get a huge chunk of time to just work solidly on one thing for as long as I can. If I get bogged down, I'll scrap it and try and commit to something else...

Or you could try loosening up and just playing around, experiment, fiddle around with particular sounds with no real purpose and then try and create something from there.

I don't know, you'll figure it out.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 08:07:21

Well that's my point. I'll finish synthesizing everything, but then, I just get BORED. I have an incredibly short attention span for anything that doesn't have violence, or mind games. Even if I'm just messing around.

Classical is easier for me to, I found, all I really have to do is bang on my keyboard and I can make music that resembles WinterWind-NS'.

For the past 5 hours I've been staring at this stubbornly blank Reason/FL screen.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 08:11:30

Dont do anything...

Wait till the motivation comes back to you.

Check out my newest song HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 08:18:29

well as greeksta said, you can't force yourself to compose a song. I have these days, too. Just do something else and clear your mind.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 08:50:48

Maybe the material you're coming up with right now isn't exciting. If I come with a composition that is interesting, I don't waste my time -- I always do something to make the project progress.

If I get bored in the middle of it, then it's not interesting. (Well, at least that's how it is for me. I also have a short attention span, and I need something extra special for me to finish a recording.)

If it's an off-day, give it a rest. If you don't remember it the following day, then it's something boring (or at least boring for you). ^_^

...but if it's really kick-ass, it'll play around your head until the next time you record.

BBS Signature

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 08:56:13

Try giving yourself a challenge - like trying to compose a song using nothing but 3xOsc and a flanger. That's always fun.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 14:10:33

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/6407 98/1

personally i havent been able to really finnish anything, or even start anything, up in a long time. i really do belive that the more gear you have, the more pressure one puts on oneself. it's easy to end up getting nothing done.
its very important to learn the equipment one have, and get creative with it. limitations is the father of many creative solutions, and experimental full-point techniques.

Wakka wakka

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 18:31:17

I know, Rucklo, every day I still discover something new with FL and Reason, but it's not the fun of exploring, it's that I just get....aghasdasfqw

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 18:41:56

I've had that trouble too... Try asking one of your friends or lady friends if they want you to write a song for them. Then do it. Friends and loved ones can be great motivation.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 19:39:22

I have the same problem sometimes.
When i make a song, and dont like it much, i keep it and work on something else. Then when I feel like making it better, I go back and make it.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 19:45:03

Yeah. You're telling me. 600 or so songs later and I'm completely out of "get up and go" attitude. Sure, I love making music and I always have, but there wasn't that "want" to do it that I always had back in the day.

I just sit down and shut up, and do it. Eventually you'll love how the song is coming along, and you'll WANT to finish it. Then you're like "man this is turning out great!" And before you know it... you have yet another finished piece.

Then you force out another and another, and maybe they MIGHT sound the same: this is an easy problem to fix. Don't submit those ones! Then when you get into that flow of making music again, you can just submit the ones you love.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 20:03:23

At 12/6/07 06:41 PM, Envy wrote: I've had that trouble too... Try asking one of your friends or lady friends if they want you to write a song for them. Then do it. Friends and loved ones can be great motivation.

Chronamaut calls himself a faggot and flambouyantly just acts like an asshole for the rights to say that he's gay. I don't do that bullshit because it's deragatory and I think he's full of apeshit, hence the reason why gay people are hated upon. People like him conforming to the stereotypes.

That being said : I despise women with a passion, I just don't have to say it in my signature and every single post like him.

If I was too subtle : Fuck women with tree stumps, they're not good for anything. I don't have any friends or loved ones.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 20:11:16

At 12/6/07 07:45 PM, ZENON wrote: I just sit down and shut up, and do it. Eventually you'll love how the song is coming along, and you'll WANT to finish it. Then you're like "man this is turning out great!" And before you know it... you have yet another finished piece.

I wind up hating it more the longer I try to make something out of the mangled heap of sounds.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 20:16:24

At 12/6/07 08:03 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: Fuck women with tree stumps, they're not good for anything.

I wonder what it's like to be gay. I can't even fathom having any physical or emotional attachment to a... man.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 20:22:57

At 12/6/07 08:16 PM, ZENON wrote:
At 12/6/07 08:03 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: Fuck women with tree stumps, they're not good for anything.
I wonder what it's like to be gay. I can't even fathom having any physical or emotional attachment to a... man.

"Lol cocks".
Hmm.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 20:24:16

At 12/6/07 08:22 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: "Lol cocks".
Hmm.

Lol jokes? It's the net, no one cares here.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 20:26:04

At 12/6/07 08:24 PM, ZENON wrote:
At 12/6/07 08:22 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: "Lol cocks".
Hmm.
Lol jokes? It's the net, no one cares here.

I was making a joke, silly.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 20:42:50

If writing music brings you no fun, then why bother. Its like playing an instrument because your forced to.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-06 21:07:18

At 12/6/07 08:42 PM, SineRider wrote: If writing music brings you no fun, then why bother. Its like playing an instrument because your forced to.

Because I want to. I really do, I like watching it progress into something great from a couple shitty channels, but the process is just..

Big angry internal conflict now.

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-07 01:25:25

Pick a really specific genre and try to tackle it. Like.... do a marching band track, with full marching percussion.... or... a string quartet.... or a remix.... of.... The Captain Planet theme.... by a marching band....

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-07 09:15:23

i usually do get inspired from TV/movies, especially when there's some "exciting" tune going on. I sometimes take the "feel" of it, and make something original out of it. Sometimes I may start out wíth the same rythm, or maybe even the same melody as the tune i heard, only to rewrite it so it cant be recognized. i think its a good way to get started. just look at how many songs ive submitted this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!3 :(

Wakka wakka

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-07 09:39:09

1. Get a full time job

2. Get really pissed off because said job is eating up all your free time and so you can't make music.

3. spend wages on new gear, vst's, but because you working and free time is used up you can't play with em.

4. quit job after 3-8 months. mope about for a week.

5. Hit the studio. You will have shitloads of pent up creativism that you WILL make something, then you'll make something else then something else.

6. Once all pent up creativness is spent repeat steps 1-5.

This is honestly a surefire way to maintain a creative stance. Having a break from music really does help. trust me. When i work i have little to no timeto be creative. Then when i leave a job i hit it hard. the outcome is at least 5-10 tunes banged out in a matter of weeks. Some will be crap some will be good. That doesn't matter. It'll keep you FRESH and thats the key.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-07 10:47:00

Motivation really helps when you're doing it for something. Often enough these days I can't make anything for myself or for fun anymore, at least not without 1200 retries.

It really has to be for something. In my case, seeing the end result with my music in it is a great motivation to become even better to help lift the project up even more.

BBS Signature

Response to I've got it all. Except.. 2007-12-07 11:06:32

Read your reviews. Every one of them. It will help and give you positive energy.