00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mac7 - December

25,650 Views | 353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 12:58:33

Welcome to the

Monthly Audio Contest 2007 - December 8-bit Christmas theme.

Mac7 - December

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 12:59:46

8 bit Christmas?
Yes, but not just Christmas. Chanukah, Divali, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, Shichi-Go-San, Taeborum, Tet, Winter Solstice, Yule and any other "Winter Holiday" music created as a chiptune will be accepted into this contest.

What is 8-bit?
8-bit tracks are also referred to as chiptunes. They have a very specific sound that results from the use of simple waveforms and limited polyphony.

Need More Info? Here are a few sites that will help you get a feel for this genre
http://www.chiptune.com is a great site where you can hear some great chiptunes but be warned, it's not very IE friendly (do NOT press the "starfield" button - I highly suggest you use firefox)

http://www.micromusic.net is a site dedicated to chiptunes and is also a decent resource for free chiptune related software and VST/i's. You can directly access their chiptune radio by clicking here

Still need more info? If so, then you might be too slow to enter this months contest.

About the Contest this month
This will be a short contest, the main purpose is to provide quality tracks to be used by flash authors for Christmas/Holiday animations.

Awards
#1. T-shirt and stickers & Front Page spot
#2. T-shirt and stickers & Front Page spot
#3 - 5 Stickers

- We'll keep up the tradition if a sigpic for the winner. If Metalcan is available then he'll create it - if not, then you'll get a crappy sigpic made by me. :)

Entering the Contest, Basic Rules
1 - Check the Rules for Submitting Audio to the NGAP. If you still are unsure what's OK to upload and what's not, check this thread. Basically, you must not submit material that include samples you have no copyright/permission to use.

2 - Make a song according to these rules! Your song(s) can be as long or short as you wish, remember that NG now has an 8 meg. limit for each song!

3 - Submit the song to the NG Audio Portal.

4 - Post a link In this thread to your entry. You risk not getting noticed and added to the list of submissions if you do not post links to your songs. Also include the audio title. Important! Once you post a link, you have entered. Period. You may NOT change your submission(s) later - Be certain of what you are posting.

5 - For this contest, you are allowed to submit two songs

6 - Do not break any of the rules stated in this thread. If you intend on submitting with different profiles, notify LJCoffee or Rucklo about this. If we find out that you break the rules, you risk being disqualified from this contest. Depending on how serious your actions are, you might get banned from the contest for some time. Basic BBS rules apply in this thread too, of course. If there are posts that are irrelevant for the contest/spam, a moderator will clean it up. This mean your post(s) might get deleted, and you risk getting banned from the NG BBS. All according to the BBS rules and the forum specific Audio Forum rules.

7 - You should have your submission(s) signed up for the contest in this thread by 11:59:59pm EST December 21st. If you cannot post for one reason or another, PM or e-mail LJCoffee or Rucklo, enter a valid reason why you can't do it yourself, and we'll see to it that your contest entry is in. To make it even clearer;
- No submissions will be accepted after 11:59:59pm EST December 21st.

8 - Tracks uploaded to the NG audio portal anytime between 12:00:00am EST Dec 1st and 11:59:59pm EST Dec 21st 2007 will be eligible for entry. If you happen to have created and uploaded a suitable track during the last few days then you may enter it.

9 - You may update your tracks by re-uploading a new MP3 provided that they are not used in an animation. Once a submission has been used, you lose the ability to update. You may continue to make adjustments to your tracks until 11:59:59pm EST Dec 21st 2007. Once the submission deadline has been reached we ask that you do not make any changes to your track until after the results have been posted. Go to your account page and choose "Audio Submissions" to edit or remove audio tracks

10 - Obey rule 10

Extra notes
- Rules, guidelines and other things related to this contest may change as time goes by. If anything changes, it will be posted in this thread.

- Once the deadline has been reached, a list of all entries will be posted for review. It is very important that you verify your entry as this will be the only opportunity to make corrections or insure that you are included.
Once the final list is posted, there will be no chance to correct errors or ommisions.

- If you have any ideas for future MACs, don't be shy to PM LJCoffee or Rucklo.

MAC7 - December Crewmembers and their function.
MaestroRage - Trusted co-conspirator.
DarKsidE555 - Listmaster, Keeps the submission list(s) updated.
Metalcan- Sig-pic maker, a damn good one too! He´s been making the sig-pics for all MACs so far.
TomFulp - Provides the awards along with creating/managing this website, newgrounds.com.
PsychoGoldfish - DJ who just might announce the winners live on radiogrounds.com
Rucklo - MAC consultant, Contest manager.
LJCoffee - Conspirator, Contest manager.

Previous Contest
MAC7 - November DnB / AMBIENT theme.
MAC7 - June CASTLE CRASHERS theme.
MAC7 - May REDESIGN, FRONTPAGE THEME!
MAC7 - March (+April) PICO LOOP theme.
MAC7 - February PICO TREASURE HUNT!
Mrac06 - December
Mrac06 - November
MAC6 - October X-MAS theme
MAC6 - August TANKMEN theme
MAC6 - July OPEN CONTEST
Heaviest riff ever competition! (2006)
March Contest (2006)
Battle of the Audio Portal (2005)

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 13:01:06

just a moment plz, gotta go find my square waves

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 13:01:29

Woot! I had a feeling that this MAC would involve chiptunes. Sweet!

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 13:03:39

what the hell is santa doingwith his left hand? :D

this gonna be cool!

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 13:06:40

At 12/5/07 01:03 PM, Rucklo wrote: what the hell is santa doingwith his left hand? :D

Only Santa knows... Parsonally, I think he's trying to get the reindeer stink off of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 13:20:39

At 12/5/07 01:06 PM, LJCoffee wrote: Only Santa knows... Parsonally, I think he's trying to get the reindeer stink off of it.

lmao. dats kinda hawt ^_____________________________________^

Man, i really gotta try to make something for thisone myself. I actually started making a chiptune the other day, but i was gonna add skratches to it.
Oh well, if I have the time to....

I really like the relaxed theme of this!

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 14:54:27

Awesome idea! I hope to make something for this.

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 15:52:53

Ohhh I think ill enter this months MAC :)

Check out my newest song HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 16:29:59

At 12/5/07 03:19 PM, HotActionYiffFur wrote: Thanks for giving the credit to the person WHO THOUGH OF IT.
I'm actually surprised you used my idea, awesome haha.

What are you talking about? I don't remember getting any PM's from you. As far as I remember, I came up with this one myself - granted, it's not a unique idea and I'm sure other people thought of similar things but don't try to take credit where it's not due...

For future reference, if anyone suggests a theme and it's used, I will give credit to the person who came up with the idea.

I'm not saying that you didn't think of something like this but your name isn't in the above post because you never contacted me with this idea.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 16:41:55

Also great minds think alike.

NOOBS SUCKS

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 16:46:51

At 12/5/07 04:40 PM, HotActionYiffFur wrote: dsfasdfasdfasdfsdf

When did that chat take place? And was I there? because I don't remember any of that.
Like I said, I'm not saying that you didn't also think of a similar idea, I'm just saying that you never contacted me about it.

It's entirely possible that our ideas overlapped (great minds and all) - in the future, PM me directly with your MAC suggestions and I'll make sure to credit you if your ideas are used...

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 17:03:34

At 12/5/07 04:48 PM, HotActionYiffFur wrote: actually a bit freaked out right now.

It's probably just that tap I have on your phone... :D
Either way, no worries - it must be some sort of collective consciousness thing.

to all others:

JUDGES JUDGES JUDGES
Anyone who decides not to compete can offer to judge - if you'd like to be a part of that madness then drop me a line.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 18:03:58

I WAN JUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click my Sig! I make money :)

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 18:13:53

You passed the 3 color limit on the xmas tree in the first post.LOL

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 18:25:23

Gaaaaay, I wanted to make a full all out orchestra just for this month.

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 19:48:39

Sweet i wonder who will win

KILL!!

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 20:37:01

Can't wait to see what you guys are going to make with Chiptunes/Christmas spirit audio's. The combination sounds pretty sweet. :)

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.

Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 21:14:51

damn i cant do chiptunes im out befor i was in. well maby its time to learn somthing new

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 21:32:16

Anyone have a tutorial on how to make these?

I'd love to give it a try!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 21:42:21

Awww...come on...I like 8-bit music.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 21:49:17

Good idea! I might enter if I have the time, this should turn out nicely. Anyone know any good 8-bit sample sits or plug ins?

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 21:53:28

Yay! 8Bit!!! I am so fucking making something for this damn thing...

I will atleast try....

i deserve death

dont click the link this account is shit and fuck me

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 22:00:14

I don't have sound on my computer at the moment, but if I get it working soon, I may enter. I'd like to judge also, however, I'm going on holidays around about the time the competition closes and returning after new year, so I don't think I could judge. Maybe next MAC I'll help out with the judging.

Good luck to all competitors, this MAC should be good, rule 10 is back for another competition, the theme is christmas and... AND it's chiptune. VG, christmas and rule 10 ftw!

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-05 22:04:26

At 12/5/07 06:13 PM, SpeedyDolphin wrote: You passed the 3 color limit on the xmas tree in the first post.LOL

3 color limit?
An 8-bit palette can contain up to 256 colors. :)

At 12/5/07 08:32 PM, Torkelson wrote: Quick question...classic holiday instruments...through a bitcrusher?

That would fall into the realm of "artisitic interpretation".
I don't see why you couldn't do that - I've heard plenty of awesome chiptunes that used some samples and/or traditional instruments that were crushed down.
Then again, the judging might be done by a panel of purists...
I guess you'll have to roll the dice :D

At 12/5/07 09:32 PM, Skullkid700 wrote: Anyone have a tutorial on how to make these?

I don't have a tutorial handy atm but I'll look around a bit -(pun)- and if I find anything I'll post a link here.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-06 00:06:40

DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT

8-BIT BELLS

Well, I definitely lucked out this time. I was gonna make a chiptune-y type song for Christmas anyways, and I had already gotten started on it!

Fuck yes. I'm awesome. AND I'M FIRST.

and actually participating for once this time

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-06 00:33:00

At 12/6/07 12:06 AM, SolusLunes wrote: DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT

8-BIT BELLS

Well, I definitely lucked out this time. I was gonna make a chiptune-y type song for Christmas anyways, and I had already gotten started on it!

Fuck yes. I'm awesome. AND I'M FIRST.

and actually participating for once this time

I was under the impression the "8-bit" part meant the song was supposed to sound like something christmas-like, that would come from an 8-bit game (literally) like the atari 2600.

I mean it's a good song, but shouldn't it sound like a REAL 8-bit game sounds?

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-06 01:18:56

Well heres my submission. This shiet is all I got and that I can do...
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 08715

Future sprite animator...

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-06 01:25:28

At 12/6/07 12:33 AM, nal1200 wrote: I was under the impression the "8-bit" part meant the song was supposed to sound like something christmas-like, that would come from an 8-bit game (literally) like the atari 2600.

I mean it's a good song, but shouldn't it sound like a REAL 8-bit game sounds?

None of those instruments are anything but modified sine + square waves. Personally, I doubt adding phasing and chorus would be too far out of its league? Or am I wrong?

Response to Mac7 - December 2007-12-06 01:37:28

And just the other day I was listening to Chron's old work and figured I needed to make an 8-bit song of my own.

Yay!

Now... I just need to think of what to do.. Christmakah...?

Who knows!

All I can say is.. count me in.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature