New Topic Respond to this Topic
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Game Developer
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2008-12-05 20:00:33 Reply

So is there an expected date when the Audio Portal will get the big renovation? (Not asking for anything specific, just like if will be Summer '09, WInter '09, etc.)

I got banned, but I had changed the song a little bit, if not much. Additionally, other people have submitted obviously stolen songs that were their first Audio submissions, so a moderator personally checked it... And passed it.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

TwilightNecrosis
TwilightNecrosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2008-12-05 23:32:01 Reply

At 9/13/08 06:28 PM, Maltloaf wrote: Yup. Might not want to be what you want to hear, but the rule is no copyright violations. That doesn't just mean sampling without permission or uploading spice girls tracks - covering someone elses work (what you're doing) is also a violation of law if you don't have explicit permission from the copyright holder.

Seems the rules are selectively enforced on Newgrounds though.

Just thought I'd clear this up:
WRONG. COVERS ARE OKAY FOR NG.
Reason: An artist/label does not copyright the song itself, they copyright THE ARTIST'S RECORDING of the song. I.E., you can't copyright a melody, or a drum beat. You can, however, copyright your recordingof said melody or drum beat.
Therefore, to recreate a track entirely from scratch, using ONLY one's own sounds/instruments, breaks no copyright law, and therefore is okay to submit to NG.
And no, the rules do NOT get 'selectively enforced' - they're the same for everybody. Sometimes people are more clever than the mods, and slip through submissions that are unallowed.

They usually get busted eventually anyway, though. AP Cleanup thread FTW!

I make music.
You can hear my newest track here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/657049

RenoakRhythm
RenoakRhythm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2008-12-06 00:19:48 Reply

Just thought I'd clear this up:
WRONG. COVERS ARE OKAY FOR NG.
Reason: An artist/label does not copyright the song itself, they copyright THE ARTIST'S RECORDING of the song. I.E., you can't copyright a melody, or a drum beat. You can, however, copyright your recordingof said melody or drum beat.
Therefore, to recreate a track entirely from scratch, using ONLY one's own sounds/instruments, breaks no copyright law, and therefore is okay to submit to NG.
And no, the rules do NOT get 'selectively enforced' - they're the same for everybody. Sometimes people are more clever than the mods, and slip through submissions that are unallowed.
They usually get busted eventually anyway, though. AP Cleanup thread FTW!

Yes they do copyright the song itself.

Where are you getting your facts for this?

http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/music_
copyright_law.html

Read this carefully and you'll see that the process for doing covers does need extra effort and licensing... but entirely possible.

Audio Surgery
I got my wisdom teeth fing pulled

BBS Signature
TwilightNecrosis
TwilightNecrosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2008-12-06 00:48:58 Reply

At 12/6/08 12:19 AM, RenoakRhythm wrote: Yes they do copyright the song itself.
Where are you getting your facts for this?
http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/music_

copyright_law.html

Read this carefully and you'll see that the process for doing covers does need extra effort and licensing... but entirely possible.

Thing is, that's talking about selling a cover of somebody else's song on a CD or online.
Due to NG's use of the 'noncommercial' clause of the creative commons license, I think this is circumvented.
Either way, there have been no legal repercussions to NG (as far as I know) for allowing covers thus far, and a great many of them have been put here with no problems.
What you posted is good information to know, no doubt. And I'm not sure where the line is drawn, exactly, between NG and American copyright law, but I do know that covers have been allowed and welcomed since as far back as I can remember, and there haven't been any problems.
So as soon as somebody with some authority comes along and clears this up, we'll know for sure... until then, I'm going to keep doing my covers, thankyouverymuch. =P

I make music.

RenoakRhythm
RenoakRhythm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2008-12-06 01:04:09 Reply

Thing is, that's talking about selling a cover of somebody else's song on a CD or online.
Due to NG's use of the 'noncommercial' clause of the creative commons license, I think this is circumvented.
Either way, there have been no legal repercussions to NG (as far as I know) for allowing covers thus far, and a great many of them have been put here with no problems.
What you posted is good information to know, no doubt. And I'm not sure where the line is drawn, exactly, between NG and American copyright law, but I do know that covers have been allowed and welcomed since as far back as I can remember, and there haven't been any problems.
So as soon as somebody with some authority comes along and clears this up, we'll know for sure... until then, I'm going to keep doing my covers, thankyouverymuch. =P

ya I agree, the creativecommons license complicates things. Kinda like the fairuse clause. EG... Ben Stein using a clip from Imagine (John Lennon) in his documentary without needing any approval or licensing.

My point was just to make sure little kiddies out there dont just start making covers out there thinking artists don't own the songs and get themselves into a world of trouble. Like i was trying to say... its entirely possible to do as many covers you want, and they can't really stop you from doing covers, as long as you've done the necessary paperwork and pay the royalties to the owners of the song you're covering.

So ya, upload as many covers as you want... i wont stop you. Jus be careful is all i'm suggesting.

Audio Surgery
I got my wisdom teeth fing pulled

BBS Signature
TwilightNecrosis
TwilightNecrosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2008-12-06 01:52:12 Reply

Right on, man, I get what you're saying.
And I might not have been perfectly clear with my original statement, which was only meant to apply to NG, NOT the world at large.
Note to the kiddies: Listen to that ^ guy, he's got a good point.
Glad we got that straightened out, and sorry for the confusion.

I make music.

kris008
kris008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-19 19:10:55 Reply

At 5/26/08 09:39 AM, Bob1234567890X wrote:
At 12/3/07 02:26 PM, WadeFulp wrote: BTW, Audio Portal bans should be cleared when the new system goes live. I think we're waiting to clear the old bans until then. Forgot about that. :)
OMG thank u!!!!!

This stil hasnt been done has it?

Offgore
Offgore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-19 20:28:08 Reply

i figured out the way for people to not submit stolen stuff.

when they click the submit content and then the link to upload audio, before it goes to the submit audio, there will be a blank screen written in huge letters saying" IF THIS AUDIO IS NOT YOURS, DONT FUCKING SUBMIT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then it goes to the submit audio page.

lol.

there's your answer wade fulp!

people don't know what LEGAL is here.

Kaizerwolf
Kaizerwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-19 21:38:47 Reply

For all we know Sungazer, to most people, the word LEGAL looks similar to Penguin language, which, no one understands as of now so... no one pays attention to it.

That was completly over the top, but you get my point. the word Legal doesnt mean much nowadays.

How about you join the NGPD? Just what is the Newgrounds Police Dept.? Click the link and find out for yourself!

BBS Signature
Aviation
Aviation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-19 21:53:57 Reply

At 4/19/09 09:38 PM, Kaizerwolf wrote: For all we know Sungazer, to most people, the word LEGAL looks similar to Penguin language, which, no one understands as of now so... no one pays attention to it.

Well I'm trying to understand the language, goddammit, but a lot of it just seems like crap.

Aviation
Aviation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-19 21:59:53 Reply

Oh, and before I forget...

I dunno how many times I had to listen to this and the original to make 100% sure, but this audio here is clearly a ripoff.

Jungle Joyride

I suddenly have half a mind to make a FL version... o.o

Steven-Polley
Steven-Polley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-19 22:57:52 Reply

At 4/19/09 10:16 PM, moose3642 wrote: they could be sent the audio submitting rules in their inbox, as a flash movie, and if the movie doesn't play through in entirety once, they can't submit audio or something...idk.

I think that the approval system is fine. Although, it should be changed to say that it could take up to a month to be approved.

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com
We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!
Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
Cross666
Cross666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-19 23:39:22 Reply

Oh man Beginning to end this topic rolls the truth. I only wish there was a better way to contribute to "taking out the trash" aside from bombing 0's to unoriginal crap and getting an audio mod for the stolen.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-20 02:16:52 Reply

I'd like to say that clearing the ban list and implementing a BLAM system would be a bad idea. A whole ton of crap would flood back in from the previously banned users, and they would also ZERO-bomb / Blam entries out of spite. Keep the current ban list please, and implement more mods. I for one know a thing or two about classical music and soundtrack music, so if you ever need a genre specific Mods, I'm down for that. I have helped sniff out a couple of fakes you know.... ;)

Erkie
Erkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-20 02:32:11 Reply

Genre specific mods are not democratic and fundamentally contradict Newgrounds' mission.

Yes, the blam system would work to the benefit of zero voters, this is due to the fact that the audio portal fucked itself over by being closed circuit for over six years, and retains only a small audience.

Having select individuals maintain strict control over an entire genre is not only tedious, intricate, and full time, no one person should ever have control over someone else's work in any capacity.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|
94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature
MidiGuy
MidiGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-04-26 14:53:05 Reply

At 9/13/08 05:44 PM, zedd56 wrote: I've submitted audio to the portal for the first time.
It was a remix of the original tetris song, BUT i made it purely from SCRATCH. No edited tracks, no :downloading was involved at all. I made it on FL Studio, and here is what it sounds like: :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUvq1jn1 G sA

Heya guys. I'm glad I found this topic, since the same thing happened to me.

A good while ago, like 5 months ago (I think), I had tried to go about submiting a game mix to the audio section. When I did I got the message telling me that I had to go through the approval procces seeing that it was the first audio track I submit, which If I remember correctly said it can take a day or 2 I think.
Though after about a week, I see the track still hasn't been added. Then at that moment I guessed it was just taking a little longer than usual.
Afterwards, I tried submiting another track, and got the mesasage that I was banned from audio submissions. And have been wondering why for a while now.

This was the first song I submited to the audio section back then:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agd539e/
n/Bowser_s_Doom_Way_zip

It's an orchestral piece that includes a number of Bowser related themes to make one piece.

Ok. So 2 things. First:
1.What do you guys think? ^^ (Ok, now the next part)

2.Based on what I've read on this topic it seemed ok to send, so how did this get me banned?

Like Zedd66, I made this from scratch, using FL Studio, and lot's of soundfonts. ^^
I've seen many mixs here on newgrounds, and I thought this would be the perfect place to upload alot of the songs I've made over the years, and I have many to share with you all. ^^

So if I did do something I shouldn't have, I really want to know. I think it was alright, but maybe I missed something. I want to be 100% sure.

So can anyone shed light on this situation 'o' mine? ^^

Soapbubble
Soapbubble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-05-26 20:13:38 Reply

At 4/19/09 09:59 PM, Aviation wrote: Oh, and before I forget...

I dunno how many times I had to listen to this and the original to make 100% sure, but this audio here is clearly a ripoff.

Jungle Joyride

I suddenly have half a mind to make a FL version... o.o

I actually came here to report this myself. I was looking for some fun remixes, but this is just too perfect to be a remix or anything like it. As far as I can tell, it's just a pure ripoff from the stage with the same name.

Meet the Mayor.

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-05-26 21:59:01 Reply

So how can it be fixed?

I'm not going to go as far to say the audio portal design is flawed - More that it is not suitable for the volume of users it currently recieves. Back in the early days, it would have been a good idea to moderate EVERY track that goes up, but that's simply not viable.

The biggest problem stems from the concept of exposure - the same problem occurs in the flash portal. The audio portal front page is cleared pretty much daily of new submissions and while the submission count is high, the view count is dissapointingly lower. Understanding why is the key to working out how to fix this.

Firstly, people aren't coming to newgrounds for audio - It's not really an advertised feature. Since conception, the audio portal was raised as a resource for flash artists, and the infrastructure employed to make it serve that mission is very good - flash credits etc. I find the most exposure I get from a track is when it is featured in somebodies flash work, regardless of the success of the flash submission. Even if the game or movie is crap, people can watch it and think 'Oh that's a nice song, I'd like to get that'. By making this process more obvious, the audio artists will benifit greatly.

Secondly, browsing the audio portal is difficult at best. If you go to listen to a track, you get five unobvious suggestions in a corner of the page of similar tracks which tend to not actually be that similar. I'm not sure what system governs what tracks are displayed there, but I'm assuming it's based on what people who downloaded the track also downloaded before. People are not actively encouraged to delve deeper into the audio portal. You can see a list of tracks the artist has also made, but all the information you are given is a title, which doesn't give any hints into what the track is like.

The best solution for exposure, in my opinion, would be a you-tube style menu appearing in the audio player at the end of the song (or even during) listing a few recommended listens as well as tracks by the artist, with facts such as download counts, rating and genre. The artist could even pick some of his tracks to plug at the end of his song.

I also feel that the top 30 would be better replaced with a 'recently downloaded' list of tracks that have been downloaded that do not currently reside on the front page, this would garantee 30 tracks exposure every few hours that otherwise would have no impressions on the casual audio protal browser.

The search feature could also be improved greatly. At present, it doesn't seem the search feature searches song commentaries - only their breif 100-and-something short descriptions, which audio artists don't bother with anymore because they are no longer actually shown anywhere on NG. The flash portal isn't much better for searching, but there are many more ways of getting from one flash submission to another.

I also feel the audio forum does have some part in making exposure difficult. The stringent rules on advertising and plugging is somewhat counter-productive. The audio advertisements thread is long and moves quickly, and while I agree people shouldn't be making their own threads solely to advertise their music, it would be nice to be allowed to make comments and critique threads where the work can be discussed with full interaction - responding to comments isn't really enough, the reviewer can't argue their points in any way.

Being able to preview songs on the audio portal page would also be benificial. While it makes sense for each track to have its own page in the same way each flash has its own page, people aren't going to be staying on individual track pages for long before browsing away, so it would perhaps be better if a lot of tracks are available to be played on a single page. If somebody listens to a whole track, they could be prompted to leave a review and a vote.

The next problem, and arguably the biggest, is how to moderate the system. I'm sure people do upload copyrighted and stolen music, but I feel the problem is not as big as it is made out to be. I appreciate Wade has obviously made this thread in response to the massive ammount of PM's from banned users who broke the rules, but i'm also convinced that, of the people who are banned, the vast majority know exactly why and will either not attempt to submit again or circumvent the system - both of which are pointless tasks. Idealy, such powers should be in the power of the viewers, but thats a problem due to the competative nature of the audio portal.

The voting system is one of the largest flaws, and I feel the feature was poorly ported from the flash portal. The 0-5 voting system is too complicated for the number of viewers that actually vote on tracks. Also, the worth of votes is a problem. For example, if you enjoy a track and you vote 4 while the score of the track you are voting on is HIGHER than 4, you are actually harming the submitter of the track by dragging their score down. Simplifying the system to work more like the review voting system with a like/dislike/abusive choice of options would, in my opinion, bring more honest results. You wouldn't even need to be able to see the numerical score the track had achieved to guage how well it has been recieved by the listeners - instead just give a number of people who liked the track and a number of people who disliked the track. Such a simple system would also mean that the listener would have to think less about what score to give the track, encouraging more voting at the cost of having a less accurate representation of the tracks performance.

Some arbitary rules could also be enforced for the purpose of cutting down on zero voting. Vote weights could be different depending on circumstances such as whether or not YOU have submitted a track on the day that you are voting, it could also keep tabs of how many low votes that you have given and adjust your voting power in case of consecutive low voting - that, however, may not be effective as, unfortunately, there tends to be large numbers of tracks that genuinly deserve a lower score. All things considered, I feel the best way to stem zero voting would be to only allow voting with an accompianing review. The downside of this is that tracks will recieve less votes, however, it will allow much more insight into what those votes are. Intentionally low voters would expose themselves, and could have their reviews marked as abusive and removed.

Also a few other kinks - It's hard for an audio artist to keep track of new reviews on their tracks and also if their tracks get used in the flash portal. Currently, the only way of doing the former is to look over your entire body of work, and the 'new reviews' count only works off a 3-day basis, it doesn't count 'unread' reviews. The latter is even worse - You have to check each of your audio submissions individually to see if they have been used.

Finally, bring back the rewards system! Gold, platinum and diamond were a wonderful way to keep the artist informed of their successes, and really encourage people to make more tracks. Awards for getting your tracks used in the flash portals, high batting averages and high number of listens would be a good way to make submitting to the audio portal really feel worth it.

Still, those are only my thoughts from using the audio portal for the last four or five years. None of the problems I have suggested solutions to have ever put me off coming back to submit my tracks here, but I'd definatly be more active if they were addressed.

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-01 10:16:32 Reply

if what your saying is true, than EVERYONE in the audio portal would be banned.

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-01 10:44:53 Reply

At 12/6/08 01:04 AM, RenoakRhythm wrote:
ya I agree, the creativecommons license complicates things. Kinda like the fairuse clause. EG... Ben Stein using a clip from Imagine (John Lennon) in his documentary without needing any approval or licensing.

My point was just to make sure little kiddies out there dont just start making covers out there thinking artists don't own the songs and get themselves into a world of trouble. Like i was trying to say... its entirely possible to do as many covers you want, and they can't really stop you from doing covers, as long as you've done the necessary paperwork and pay the royalties to the owners of the song you're covering.

So ya, upload as many covers as you want... i wont stop you. Jus be careful is all i'm suggesting.

you may also want to tell them the differance between a "cover" a "remix" and a "mashup",
I've been doing mashups for YEARS and under the creative commons rule I have never been told to cease and desist by any artists or record lables. Of course you can sell your work, But, only if you change the original song by at least 15%, then, under copyright law, you will be able too sell your work.

However NG's moderators seem to not want to take any chances with having possible copyrighten music on the audio portal, even if it is altered from the original copy, this I can understand, But NG should be more thrue with there rules. For anyone in here who has been banned from NG's, don't feel bad, for I am too. I have resorted to other ways of getting my music online, May I suggest using MYSPACE, or GARAGEBAND or even FACEBOOK, even I submit My awsome metal mashups too MYSPACE, [http://www.myspace.com/deathteknox] and I have NEVER receved any theats to ban me,
yeah, lets see Wade try and ban me me from MYSPACE oh wait!.... Wade can't because MYSPACE isn't NG, Mwuah HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAWWWwww, I take if you have similer problems that you do the same.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-01 13:07:15 Reply

This topic is both hilareous as it is a good notion on how incompetent most people are on the internets. Isnt the first thing someone does ... to read the rules? I guess not.

But maybe its for the better, atleast those passive leeches arent running free in the real world spamming their casual garbage everywhere... oh wait they are. ;(

Well, i hope a I-bomb (intelligence) will go off soon by wich people will start developing themselves instead of identifying with other peoples creations, (wich is the main reason why so many people mix copyrighted stuff or make poosic. Its a good thing to like someone elses work but let it inspire you, not absorb you. Dont slash it up and put a textbook trance crap drumloop under it either, thats almost just as sad as taking a cat by the tail and smashing its head on a piano calling it music) back to the bohemian era as far as im concerned.

Ohwell, i got a cold but im going out, its late night shopping day today.
regards -Calamaistr.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

bossler13
bossler13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-01 13:54:01 Reply

Probably. I know this is probably a vein attempt. Shame we can't swing a Super Bowl commercial with me cursing out these people. :)

that would be hilarious. I think it would get your point across too XD

alextheDJ
alextheDJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-01 15:28:25 Reply

does that mean I'm a winner

yes

Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me!

InGenius
InGenius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-01 21:25:30 Reply

Where are the changes Wade alluded to in Dec. '07? Nearly two years have passed and not one change has been made. The Art Portal was released with it's own system, but our crappy banlist has never been cleared as Wade mentioned. Mods still can't unban users or ban those breaking the rules. It would seem that the Audio Portal isn't even worth the admins time anymore, yet the AP has grown by HUGE strides and has even helped produce professional musicians, artists and producers. Without the AP, there are alot of young artists who might have never gone from the "hobby" aspect of music to the "professional". Yet here we are, still salivating for scraps like the "Revenue Sharing" rollout.

How about a system that protects our music from the flash artists taking it and declaring CC licensing means they don't need to pay us when they get sponsored and make money from the flash featuring our music? No, we are still in-fighting about that in forum posts rather than seeing action. This necro'd thread just made me sad to see how long the AP has been given the backseat treatment.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-02 03:44:18 Reply

At 10/1/09 11:51 PM, Bjra wrote:
At 10/1/09 09:25 PM, InGenius wrote: It would seem that the Audio Portal isn't even worth the admins time anymore, yet the AP has grown by HUGE strides and has even helped produce professional musicians, artists and producers. Without the AP, there are alot of young artists who might have never gone from the "hobby" aspect of music to the "professional". Yet here we are, still salivating for scraps like the "Revenue Sharing" rollout.
As soon as I meet the admins of newgrounds in person and woo them with my charm, this will all change.

Anyone wanna fund the bjra cross state journey to ng head quarters?

This thread is almost three years old, if people are still being banned for the same reasons, then they don't deserve to get near the audio portal. Just for the fact that they are being dumb fucks and don't READ the rules that are given BEFORE you even post your first song. People are just stupid and skim the rules. I'll admit i almost submitted a song with pre-made loops, but i made sure i looked at the rules and i stopped uploading it. It doesn't require that much thought you dumb fucks. Just read the rules, submit, done. That's it. It's not that hard to understand.

Besides is this thread even relevant anymore? If it is, then wow, i must have missed something....

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-02 06:15:41 Reply

At 10/1/09 09:25 PM, InGenius wrote:
How about a system that protects our music from the flash artists taking it and declaring CC licensing means they don't need to pay us when they get sponsored and make money from the flash featuring our music?

This both makes sense as it doesnt, probably because im divided on intellectual property.
I see music as a sea of sound from wich we as composers take out certain notes and put them down in a pattern, we own our innovation but we dont own the music.
Still, its a slap in the face when people use your music for mixing etc unless you told them its ok.
Atleast i would feel insulted if someone used one of my tracks and putted a trance beat under it so people could wave around their genitals 360 degrees on it in a disco. Ive had it happen before that i heard a track on radio wich was one of mine completely slashed up, it sounded like crap... but hey.. it had boombass. :l

On the other hand i feel honored when people use my music in their flashes, even if it would be a bad flash. Atleast it means someone liked your music alot and isnt that something we all want?

In the end its a matter of people's individual honesty and modesty, wich is getting scarser every day.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

bossler13
bossler13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-06 00:38:37 Reply

This both makes sense as it doesnt, probably because im divided on intellectual property.
I see music as a sea of sound from wich we as composers take out certain notes and put them down in a pattern, we own our innovation but we dont own the music.
Still, its a slap in the face when people use your music for mixing etc unless you told them its ok.
Atleast i would feel insulted if someone used one of my tracks and putted a trance beat under it so people could wave around their genitals 360 degrees on it in a disco. Ive had it happen before that i heard a track on radio wich was one of mine completely slashed up, it sounded like crap... but hey.. it had boombass. :l

On the other hand i feel honored when people use my music in their flashes, even if it would be a bad flash. Atleast it means someone liked your music alot and isnt that something we all want?

In the end its a matter of people's individual honesty and modesty, wich is getting scarser every day.

for me, it's all just getting my music out in the open at this point. If they use it and don't give me any of the money for it, that's fine. all I ask is that they give me the credit so more people can enjoy my creations

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-06 00:54:58 Reply

At 10/2/09 06:15 AM, Calamaistr wrote: This both makes sense as it doesnt, probably because im divided on intellectual property.

That's retarded.

So animators don't own their animations, because they picked out the colors and shapes from a sea of visual-ness?

Authors don't own their stories and poems because they picked the words out from a sea of language?

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-12 09:37:02 Reply

You know what.. Im tired of complaining about the audio portal, It's a loosing battle. No one can win, and therfore it is pointless to complain. So, too vent my frustrations, I vow from this day forward, for the next year, to find the most annoying, terrible, unbarably bad songs on NG's and vote 5 on all of them, and then find the most liked song's on NG's and BLAM them. Eventualy I hope that the terrible songs will will make A-BOT's top 5. and I'll keep doing this until the moderators fix the audio submission portal

Wish me luck, and if you dont wish me luck, then fuck you.

Zooloo75
Zooloo75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! 2009-10-12 09:45:08 Reply

Yes, a whistle system would be perfect.
It should help audio moderators out too.