00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,603 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-02-23 04:43:58

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-02-25 14:08:05

The-Sony-Guy

Very honestly I did not see the title of your song until after I reviewed it. Extra props on giving out that springtime vibe!
-Tyler

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-02-25 23:35:20

Hey guys, just recently thought to submit a song I never really ended up finishing, being out of inspiration and not knowing where to go, so I'm hoping this club might just help me with that.

Anyways, here's the link:

It's important to know I'm using a notation software rather than a sequencing software, wich deprives me of higher quality sounds and/or advanced EQ and stuff like that.

Cheers,
Samuel Hébert

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-06-10 18:48:30

Srry, should have took this in my previous post, but excuse my double post.

I think this song is cursed to remain a WIP. Its been so for a total of 18 damn hours so far, yet I have not come up with a solution for its potential-sounding but yet meh-ish feeling it gives you. Or at least me. Probably have 4 different versions of it lying around in my HDD somewhere. One of them are uploaded here to newgrounds so you could compare them and select the best one, which I will work upon.

Original

While this is the latest one
http://kiwi6.com/file/oy0o614e9a

Monstercats (AudioMachina22) alternate account

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-06-10 18:51:19

Damn, I got that post in the wrong topic. Oh well, that means more views ;D

This is the post I was talking about:

Not sure what to say, really, but here are two of my WIPs. In fact only one truly is a WIP, as the other was planned tobe trashed, but I regret it now.

As for this song, I am not fond with how unpleasant some frequency ranges can sound, and I am speaking of the phased instrument. I came up with the idea of using two equalizers, but is there no more convenient solution? Also, how could I add up to the drums... to the tempo? Lastly that bass sound is really basic, only two subtractors used in a combinator. How could I spice it up a bit? There may also be a problem in the note layout, but I dunno... fresh ears are exactly what I need, and I hope someone can lend me theirs.

linkie http://kiwi6.com/file/u2gt40h92v

I will dedicate this song to games out there that could use some soundtrack. I am a bit confused on how to proceed with the build, but maybe someone can suggest me something? That would be totally cool. I kind of like the sound of that maelstrom noise, but at the same time not. If I want to keep it, what to do to make it blend in more?

next linkie http://kiwi6.com/file/au1td444xi

Cheers everyone

Monstercats (AudioMachina22) alternate account

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-06-15 19:09:23

Experimental.

I have never attempted classical/orchestral or dub-step before so why I'm trying both for the first time at the same time... idk...

Symphonic Dub-Rock @ my youtube channel.

Hoping to get a little feedback before dropping it on here.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-07-21 15:09:58

At 7/21/11 01:07 AM, LaForge wrote: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/2951313 4/demo170final.mp3

I feel I did an alright job mixing this but I need some approval from the trusty audio fags of the forums. If the link expires let me know and I'll upload it again.

o_o are you sure you uploaded the right file? That one's horribly distorted and compressed so much that it pulsates like a jackhammer.

At 7/16/11 06:14 AM, sandordude wrote:

I love what you have so far. If I were you I would put a filtered version of everything maybe (especially toning down the drums), then immediately after that bring the main part back again but with more straightforward banging drums and various other elements to flesh it out. For tonal changes, why not just try changing a few noters and see what works out? Don't be afraid to experiment with out-of-scale tones and transposing entire chords.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-11-19 14:09:57

This thread keeps getting linked but nobody posts in it o.o

I'm concerned with the transitions on this. It's already four minutes long and I'm just getting to the B section, and I think I might have to bridge things together making it even longer. I've been working on this for a long time so it's starting to frustrate me how unnatural the transitions sound :X

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-11-27 12:28:44

Could you please give me some advices about this

It's my first try at making hip hop and I don't know if it's even fits within the hip hop genre

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-11-28 01:04:49

Here is a song that I am working on, please give your advice and criticism about basically anything. The beginning is a soothing enchanting feeling melody and then later on as more instruments are added. The idea changes and a dark michevious flute melody starts, and goes on for a while, but then eventually the old idea comes back and it ends with chord.

Just tell me what you think, about which instruments sound good and what not, and the notes and mixing and whatever you want. Except for...*important*

Don't criticize the harp sounding lead because in the final version of the song it will be replaced by my guitar's clean setting. Unless you actually think the harp sounding thing sounds good.

Here's the song
http://www.mediafire.com/?dgsgmddz3mocvy s

Life is Short. I will make it shorter.

Wait? Life is pretty long.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-11-28 23:14:03

Any suggestions how I shall continue this one? I think I want to add some winds, but I'm happy if someone will listen to it.

| Holy Adventure | Dream of being best | Music I've composed.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-11-30 02:32:26

To the song above mine, it seems to be building up to something there towards the end. I think you should maybe go for a drop where everything cuts out except the timpani and a faster melodic instrument solo. [embellished around with other stuff lightly] and then maybe have that lead back into something big and epic... of which how I dunno. But keep it up!

Here be my WIP please give me some direction suggestions if u can -_- im just doodling so far.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 58522

Mue = music engineering... its not a typo.. it was just a dumb thing to do

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-11-30 02:36:14

Any ideas would be wonderful, as I've only been adding 15 seconds per day in order to save myself from writer's block. Enough ideas to double the length would be incredible.

Thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-11-30 07:38:46

http://soundcloud.com/xyresic/rubicon-wi p

It's a housey-electronic song. (Note: probably isn't housey, I have no idea what I'm talking about.)
I won't be able to do much on it at the moment, as my computer is struggling to process half of the song. But any feedback is appreciated!

bork bork bork

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-11-30 21:25:48

My WIP- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zZQpKg4 tQ

Review-
At 11/30/11 07:38 AM, Xyresic wrote: http://soundcloud.com/xyresic/rubicon-wi p

It's structured well, but there are some huge problems, like synths playing in multiple keys and conflicting with each other. With music (and especially with House) you should stick to one key, because then your synths will be in key with each other and basslines, melodys or whatever will sound better. You realy should try to learn and understand music theory because this song has a lot of potential.

Very Nice.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-01 12:12:51

Just curious if there is anything that someone else thinks i can do with this, i have some ideas, but just curious

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-04 07:48:52

Kind of Ambient/Instrumental Hip-Hop/Electronica

http://www.mediafire.com/?idzbdord2llq7t e

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-05 04:21:45

At 12/4/11 07:48 AM, Frazmaster wrote: Kind of Ambient/Instrumental Hip-Hop/Electronica

http://www.mediafire.com/?idzbdord2llq7t e

I think its real cool chill music, definitely have a little something going on there and I enjoyed listenin to it. With that said there is definitely room for improvement as with anything in life. The intro was really long, and the tone of it was kind of harsh and not fitting of the mood later in the song, and maybe have something with the wind constantly in the back or make the wind a little louder. Also the drum beat that comes in about 2:20 and keeps goin on was kind of awkward you have (bass - hit- bass - bass -bass - hit) try (bass - hit -bass - bass - hit - bass ) with pretty much the same rhythm.

With that review done
This is a school project and a remix of Penn State's Fight On State i don't particularly like it, and since ive submitted it i have fixed that pause near the end (youll hear what im talkin about )

Crashing Smashing, Lots of noise all around him, ....

if you are lucky his friends will send for all the king's horses and all the kings men

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-09 23:41:06

http://soundcloud.com/chriscrane-1/doubl e-filet

Just started working this one, looking to see if anyone likes it, first try at making my own sound effects, should I compress more things with appropriate variables to bring anything down or make something heavier?

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-13 21:22:35

http://soundcloud.com/zam-theory/hardsty le-in-progress

im not shure what i should do with it.. i had insperation last night but poof lol. what do 'you' think i should do with it? :/

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-13 22:53:35

At 12/13/11 09:22 PM, Tabu112 wrote: http://soundcloud.com/zam-theory/hardsty le-in-progress

im not shure what i should do with it.. i had insperation last night but poof lol. what do 'you' think i should do with it? :/

http://soundcloud.com/zam-theory/more-wo rk-on-to-hard-trance <i work too fast T_T

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-14 02:51:17

http://soundcloud.com/module-3/zelda-mai n-theme

Would love some outside opinion on the song itself and mix :)

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-18 05:22:37

http://soundcloud.com/zam-theory/trancer ll-2 would like some opinion on this mix so far, maby even a sugestion on where to take it. (im going to be continuing the bells i just got tired..)

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-18 10:37:20

SONG! Can someone please review this?! I already got some advice and it helped soooo much. I feel that the more people can give their input the better I get... I would seriously appreciate any feedback.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-21 02:24:36

Hey! I've finally started working on making another track again, and this time, I would like someone other than me, who has listened to the same thing over and over, to hear it and give me feedback. Like having a fresh ear, per se. Anyway, here it is on soundcloud!

http://soundcloud.com/herdunculus/where-
champions-shine-work-in

Thanks!

As for the guy above me, I would just like to say that I REALLY love the beginning and how you mashed that voice into the track very smoothly. It is very fluid. I feel that there could be more of a "bass" feeling in the song, and I think there are too many higher frequencies (or something I'm no expert). The drop could have definitely been much more powerful.

Check my SoundCloud Here!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-21 02:27:51

Oh and before someone says it, the first 30 seconds or something is empty i know, it's just there for filler, because I didn't want to work on that section right away. I am also going to make a much more strong drop! I just need ideas!

Check my SoundCloud Here!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-21 14:56:51

Kirby super star- save theme
This is a wip that I need help with.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-21 23:28:10

I will be reviewing everything on page 10 because I feel like giving back to the community. Merry Christmas everyone!

At 11/28/11 01:04 AM, lhavf wrote: Here is a song that I am working on, please give your advice and criticism about basically anything.

I love the airy feel I get from this song, it feels like I'm soaring above the clouds. Or at the very least strolling through a town at night time. The harp is too aggressive, if you sub your guitar make sure it's very legato and smooth. You wight want to consider cutting out some repetition, adding a few melodies in would make it a more interesting track.

At 11/28/11 11:14 PM, Cleverhill wrote: Any suggestions how I shall continue this one?

I imagine a countryside in medieval times when I hear this song. I think you should continue the pattern you built up to near the end for a bit. But then fade out and have a solo flute play the pattern with light percussion to give a little more emotion that way. Overall I like the track, the beginning was jagged and rough but I have a feeling you were going for that.

At 11/30/11 02:32 AM, Muesical-Pope wrote: Here be my WIP please give me some direction suggestions if u can -_- im just doodling so far.

I like the upbeat feel of this track. It's kind of a little crazy, and unfocused. The notes sound good though, and the match the bassline. Maybe have a drum or bass break somewhere in there then build up to a next part. But basically focus your notes and you'll have a polished piece.

At 11/30/11 02:36 AM, ChimeraNoise wrote: At 11/30/11 07:38 AM, Xyresic wrote:

These tracks were deleted, sorry!

At 11/30/11 09:25 PM, Tc572 wrote: My WIP

Near the beginning, the melody seems to be taking a back seat to the bass, then fades in so much it drowns the bass out. I like the melodies they're very catchy, but unfortunately also repetitive. There is a lot of repetition in the song. But, the song sounds nice, I could see clubs playing it as the dring kick and bass would sound great with a large sub-woofer.

At 12/1/11 12:12 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: Just curious if there is anything that someone else thinks i can do with this, i have some ideas, but just curious

There's nothing really to say, the melody, bass, drums and rhythms are well fleshed out and the repetition is far apart and hard to notice. The instruments go well over each, nice track!

At 12/3/11 11:03 PM, Computer112 wrote: Anyone has criticism and suggestions. Thanks.

Sounds like a Halloween track mixed with a Battlefield track. It sounds really cool. The orchestra really defines the mood and the timpani adds that nice backbone to the whole thing. Hmm, I couldn't think of how to continue it, maybe add a solo timpani with the orchestra building up behind it? But it sounds really good.

At 12/4/11 07:48 AM, Frazmaster wrote: Kind of Ambient/Instrumental Hip-Hop/Electronica

I don't get "By the River" from this song. I get more of an abandoned town or factory. I like the ambiance of this track, it uplifts the ears and takes me away. The drums were kind of abrupt, I think an intro transition would sound clearer. The melody is simple, but it makes the track even better. Some of the synth breaks need to be fleshed out a bit.

At 12/5/11 04:21 AM, trabajaba7 wrote:

Deleted , sorry!

At 12/9/11 10:20 PM, SpaceWhale wrote: Could some of you review this? I would love some critique.

The build up with the violins is good, the bass doesn't really have depth to it. The low end needs a little more "umph", however the track really comes together, and the drop is clean and focused. I think a melody in the violin would add more flavour to the song and maybe some more variety in the basses? Overall good job.

At 12/9/11 11:41 PM, Toxicks wrote: Just started working this one, looking to see if anyone likes it,

The bass, goes through some funky notes. It sounds odd, and the glockenspiel (?) transition was very awkward. It felt like two different songs being spliced together. The idea was good by the execution needs some fine tuning. You'll be a great musician yet!

At 12/13/11 09:22 PM, Tabu112 wrote:

I'm going to do all three tracks at once here.

Hardstyle in progress

Very bouncy, and that's good for hardstyle. The melody was cool and very spacey. The whole track had a cool overtone to it. To add to it, make a build up with just synth and let the drums and bass just come in and make the track just dance worthy. The potential is huge here.

More work on to hard trance

It's the same as the first one? I'm not sure what you added, haha.

Trancer ll

Very soft, like it's whispering into my ears gently. I love the waves and the gentleness of the track. It's calm and collect which complement the vocals. There's lots to listen to, but it doesn't overpower my ears to take away from the centerpiece vocals. Very good track.

At 12/14/11 02:51 AM, ModuleMusic wrote: Would love some outside opinion on the song itself and mix :)

Nice, I like when remix start of with the original so I can compare the two. I like the touch of Navi in the background. The track has a very focused touch to it. The build up was a little odd, I've never really heard it go up and down. I like how the tracks original identity is still intact in the track. My complaint is that the bass is very drowned, and dubstep being a bass driven genre, I think the bass should get more justice.

At 12/18/11 10:37 AM, DdottodD wrote: SONG! Can someone please review this?!

The piano is very strong and piercing. It overpowers a lot of the instruments. The bass has a nice growl to it, and the melody sounds nice over top of it. I like the synth break, the drums come back in nicely and cleanly. The bass is kind of repetitive but the melody covers it and makes the track sound nice. My only suggestion would be to add more flavour and variety.

At 12/21/11 02:24 AM, Herdunculus wrote: Hey! I've finally started working on making another track again, and this time, I would like someone other than me, who has listened to the same thing over and over, to hear it and give me feedback.

The the staccato synths sound a little weird to me at least. The bass sounds nice, kind of a mix between talking and growling. The end was very abrupt, i'm not sure if that was just for the WIP or not though. Good track, very refined.

At 12/21/11 02:56 PM, ModsSukCock wrote: Kirby super star- save theme
This is a wip that I need help with.

Very repetitive, I have a feeling you gave up on adding the little extras to the song. However the base song sounds nice and very true to the original. It just needs a bit more effort and it could be great.

And that's it! Merry Christmas Audio forum. I didn't realize how many talented people I never heard of there were. But it goes to show that I didn't look aha. Probably the longest post I've ever made, but it was for the good of the musicians! Good luck to the final projects of all these people!

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-28 19:40:04

So iam having a little trouble with the second drop on this song. Its just want to finish it its been a WIP for to long!!

Just pop an review on the track and i will get it and iam sure i could give you some tips/reviews back.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2011-12-30 09:49:07

Is this really that bad or are people fucking with me?
DR.FOOD
So far it has a horrible score from 3 votes yet has 3 downloads with it.
I don't get it..
DR.FOOD