00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,454 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-17 22:26:46

At 3/17/08 01:36 PM, Dj-Immune wrote: Should I make a 7 min song or a 8 min song

Hmmmmmm =)

78 minute song

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-17 22:38:12

At 3/17/08 10:26 PM, Envy wrote:
At 3/17/08 01:36 PM, Dj-Immune wrote: Should I make a 7 min song or a 8 min song

Hmmmmmm =)
78 minute song

I like how you roll

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-20 17:01:11

At 3/16/08 04:41 AM, Jurian wrote: I could use tips on this.

yummm. some constructive crit:

the piano would be better if it was more lifelike, vary volume a little bit so that it sounds like someone playing piano. IMO that would be good, even with teh mood ur trying to get.

i thought the song progressed really well. careful not to make some of ur instruments get drowned out tho.

i liked the melody that ur electric guitar followed, but i didnt like the sound of the guitar itself. its jst... mehhh. too synthetic and too bland, i think. if u can try distorting that or finding another sound for it, that would be great.

the ending seemed a little abrupt, but that might be jst because its a WIP.

finally, i wish there were more ambient effects/sfx that would make the song sound more textured, IMO that would be sweet.
--

okeydoke, i have a short clip of a remix of "low" by flo rida im trying to make. its sounding like a breakbeat benny benassi song lol. what do u think? where should i go from here? i did teh chorus but im not sure what to do for the rest lol

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-20 20:15:37

Labaratorytest.wav

i made this today, it's a 15 sec loop, does it need anything?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-20 20:34:17

At 3/20/08 08:15 PM, loogiesquared wrote: Labaratorytest.wav

i made this today, it's a 15 sec loop, does it need anything?

that thing around 0:20 or so attacks the ears, maybe alittle less of that
and needs more drums (but that's cause i love drums)

other than that it didn't really loop over that well

but was a good listen, nonetheless

Review me and I shall review you!

- My Audio - My deviantArt -

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-20 20:51:11

aww i got skipped. well heres an updated, extended version of what im doing

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-20 20:54:19

At 3/20/08 08:51 PM, p4c wrote: aww i got skipped. well heres an updated, extended version of what im doing

apple-bottom jeans?
your idea's a remix?
huh, i feel i've heared this before on a RMXRadio.
i don't see that's it's diffrent enough for NG. but it IS a nice song.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-26 03:36:24

Hey all,

I would like some good critics on this one :)

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/260308/3 0876_Joowna_-_Chilly_Tonic_v_1.0.mp3

1. Which genre could I name it?
2. Do you miss a main melody?
3. You like the kick?
4. Anything you like to say?

thx in advance
Joowna

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-26 06:21:16

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/260308/6 46_Full_Speed.mp3

First attempt at techno... tell me what you think about it. I really need help EQing the bass and the panning so if you got any tips on that then feel free to share so I can finally finish this thing. Also the end area sounds a little wonky so don't mind that right now.

|| Audio || Art ||

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-30 05:49:53

ill take a look at ur guys's stuff once i get back from vacation. DONT LET THE THREAD DIEEE!!!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-30 13:28:57

At 3/26/08 03:36 AM, Joowna wrote: Hey all,

I would like some good critics on this one :)

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/260308/3 0876_Joowna_-_Chilly_Tonic_v_1.0.mp3

1. Which genre could I name it?
2. Do you miss a main melody?
3. You like the kick?
4. Anything you like to say?

thx in advance
Joowna

genre: dance or house

missing a main melody? NOO! dont corrupt this. there is a melody, its just more subtle, and if u add something over that, the song would jst get stale and bland like the big piles of sappy trance on newgrounds. i like it this way, much more head-bob-age going on

kick: sounds a bit weeak and not very textured. IMO you can go 2 routes successfully - make it harder and rougher, bringing up the higher frequencies and distorting/adding more samples to play at the same time to get a reasonably textured kick, or do the opposite--keep it really laid back, relaxing, subdued and muddier. i think those would sound best, ur choice tho.

anything i'd like to say? good job so far. but, be careful about repetitiveness and just slapping on loops as it goes on--try to m ake the parts and elements of the song just flow into each other instead of making more loops come into play, try making slick transitions [i dont mean complicated or annoying--i just mean catchy and fun. that can be as simple as taking out some instruments for a few beats, or it could be flat out FX mayhem :]

cheers.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-02 00:57:17

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/010408/6 2684_Thoughts.mp3

Could anyone, give me good helpfull critcism, I know that the ending sounds stupid(FL broke down just a minute before ending the rendering), and it will be fixed in te final version.

Thanks

NG Radio - A superb podcast with good songs from the NG Audio Portal

Get Respect from me=)

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-03 11:21:52

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/030408/4 0884_Unoi.mp3

I just recently started this one. It's really raw right now, so any good feedback would be awesome. I plan on submitting this to the pico mac so if you plan on entering too, now would be a good time to start feeding me fake advice :P

quarl BandCamp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-03 11:23:08

At 4/3/08 11:21 AM, Quarl wrote: http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/030408/4 0884_Unoi.mp3

sorry, bad link... try this.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-03 13:49:47

well here is my next project...well plz tell me what you think...

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 34514

peace

SERVING THE CAUSE

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-03 17:53:10

At 4/3/08 01:49 PM, sonicxtreme wrote: well here is my next project...well plz tell me what you think...

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 34514

peace

Well, it sounded great on my lap top speakers, but when I threw on some head phones the lead synth kind of rounded out and didn't sound as good. What you have going is great, just keep working on it, and try to get that lead synth to sound good on all platforms. Mater that bitch. I'm not too sure how to go about doing that, but I'm sure someone else in this thread might be able to help you out there. Melody was really cliche. Not bad, just really familiar. Try to work out some notes that will help this stand out.

Hope to hear the final sometime soon!

quarl BandCamp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-03 18:45:13

well thanx... i just launched the loop to see wut was goin to happen...not mastered anything on that loop,just something to cause an inpression of my project idea.thanx again.

SERVING THE CAUSE

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-03 20:52:33

Check it

I don't really need help, just tell meh what ya think =O

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-05 15:52:53

quarl BandCamp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-05 15:55:46

you know what? It doesn't matter. I guess I'm done with it any ways.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-05 18:57:25

Hey, I was making my first song in FL7 and I wanted some feedback on my song. I already submitted it to newgrounds. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 35183

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-05 19:00:49

Pat!M /// a.k.a Dj Pope

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-27 07:57:26

My first sig! XD Click for my deviArt!

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-27 15:39:21

At 4/27/08 07:57 AM, Kygore612 wrote: Hope you can help me improve this song!

kyogore - this is pretty weak as of now, all it is are a bunch of preset synths and samples coming in and out in the same loops over and over again.

1) the drums are really really weak - they dont form a coherent beat nor a catchy one either. if you're going for a trance sound, try using the usual four on the four beat - bass drum --> hi hat --> repeat. [and maybe every other kick gets a snare drum or a clap], jst look at the top songs on the trance charts here and ull recognize it.

2) the melody at the start is okay, though it needs to change and grow more as the song goes on.

3) the plucky instrumetn thing is weak too. you jst need more variety and stronger synth sounds

overall i think this has a LOT to improve and needs to be developed a LOT more--it sounds like a 5 minute FL masterpiece. sorry for being harsh :\

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-27 15:41:57

now, can you help me? making a remix of mariah carey lolll

im not done but i jst want comments and ideas for the rest of the song.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-27 20:09:52

bumppp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-28 00:26:21

Well I never heard the original, and I have no idea what is original/ sample, but from what I can tell, you have a really good mix going right now.

I might ask you to put more umpf in that kick. Have that bass kick pump the track a bit more. The tracks lacking a bit of bass.

The snare/claps work well until the cheers drop out 1/3rd of the way through. I'd say that the snare at about there is a little weak. Dunno, might be preference.

The destruction on the vocals around half way through suck! Either keep to the original sound or work in a different effect. And shit, those high pitched noises are death on my virgin ears. Get those out!

Fix those little things and you have a pro track. Really, aside from all that, every thing sounds pretty good man. Great mix.

Now if someone could give me some feedback on this thingy. I started it earlier today and I'm not sure what to do with it.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-04-28 00:30:16

Can you put it on NG for us?
I'm sure A-bot wont mind XD

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-05-03 17:14:01

Here's my WIP. Feedback, please :)

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-06-01 13:37:05

At 4/28/08 12:26 AM, Quarl wrote: Now if someone could give me some feedback on this thingy. I started it earlier today and I'm not sure what to do with it.

I'd say the start is overall pretty good, you've got a solid rhythm here but it suddenly cuts off 'till 2:21. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if the stuff prior to that is what you wanted it to be.

If so, a suggestion of mine would be to add to that soft choir you've got in the back with smooth/stretched strings. This song also suits for a Piano addition IMO, but I'm a piano freak so... I'm naturally inclined to say such things when I hear an oppertunity.

The rhytm itself is like I said, solid, but still plenty of room left for improvement or progression throughout the song as you add things (could be piano, soft strings or a different breakbeat).

Hope it helps!

--

Thanks Rucklo for pointing this topic out to me! I cannot believe I missed this. ;_;

>> I've been working on a new track for the last couple of weeks, but have hit a roadblock recently. I figured, where better to ask for some assistance than the forum itself, as some really creative people are on this site.

Before I link you to the track, here's the basic premise behind it:

Inspired by: Megaman-esque tracks, and overall 8bit leads, and something a little different (for me) overall. There's a little nudge to something that really fit within the arrangement in the middle of the song, I'm sure certain ppl will appreciate that.

There hasn't been done much with mastering certain instruments, so don't look/listen to heavy for those things. I'm more looking for ideas and suggestions on the arrangement side.

ZSHARE / Radius8 [WIP]

For all those taking a stab at helping, thanks a ton in advance.

BBS Signature