This thread is a simple thread to understand. In this thread, we post links to Works in Progress and give feedback on them.
Reasons for this thread?
1. Gives artists feedback before submitting something, allowing them to iron out small errors, and submit the best they can.
2. It eliminates the "WIP" portal entries... This is useful! Even though we have a system to revise, I'm sure that many people would resubmit, in order to gain more exposure. They will most likely delete the WIP, causing all reviewers that helped them create the final product to lose their contributions.
3. It allows users to prepare for submitting songs for other sites, not just NG. If a user is "too good" for NG, then they can post here, and ONLY be subject to the reviews of audio peers, who usually know what they are talking about, rather than the mass of newbies reviewing songs saying "i leik teh beatz."
Let me set some ground rules:
1. There shouldn't be any off-topic discussion. I'm making this thread to be more open-ended than other threads, but we shouldn't spam this place up, like the lounge. This is strictly a place to post WIPs and get feedback.
2. Feedback can either be posted here, or sent via PM. If posted here, users other than the original poster are allowed to respond, creating an environment where the song will be subject to multiple judgments, giving a clearer idea of what is actually the case about the piece.
3. Try not to post too many WIPs... I'm not going to set a clear limit, like 1 a week... I'm hoping that the users will be able to sort that out for themselves. I'm sure that a limit will be made if it is necessary.
4. If you post a WIP, you must "review" another WIP. "Review" meaning posting your opinion, what you liked, what you didn't like, etc. This should not be like a review for a finished piece! Remember that all pieces here are subject to improvement and change! Do not tell an artist that it is completely horrible! Find the good in it, and give advice on how to develop that!
5. Do not repost a WIP. I'm sure that this will happen anyways, but it really is no good. If the rules are followed, then you should get more than enough advice to help you finish the song. If it is completely unrecognizable, then it is acceptable to post it again, as new advice will be useful to you.
6. These are works in progress, so feel free to offer your help! You are allowed to send samples, and possibly even work with the artist to help get the song to its best state possible! In fact, this is encouraged. It allows users to learn tricks about the program, and learn the style of other users.
7. In your post, you must post a link to your song that is not in the AP. It is considered to be done if it is in the AP, and posting WIPs somewhat negates the point of this thread. The exception is a WIP for release, where you post the WIP here and get the finished track published. That is rare, though, so don't count on it.
8. If you are giving a "review," please keep it to one post, and make sure you quote the original poster of the WIP. That makes sure that the artist knows that it is HIS track being reviewed, and not another track.
9. Completed tracks that you want to get feedback on before submitting as a "finished track" are acceptable too, as they can be changed before "release" under the Creative Commons license here.
10. All tracks submitted to this thread are the intellectual property of the user submitting them, so you cannot just take a track and submit it as your own.
Well, I'm done here. If anyone has any more ideas for rules, then feel free to post them! Now, post some WIPs!