00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Updates, Upgrades, etc.

12,702 Views | 102 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:03:38

We had some issues over the past few days due to some new back-end software we were installing. As of today everything seems to be fine, so the site should be runner better.

I've ordered a new database server! It's a beefy bastard that almost costs as much as a low-end car, but it should process your data a helluva lot faster than before. Of course, we'll just end up getting more users and it will slow down again.

We also have two more webservers on the way to handle dynamic page processing, and will be putting the old database server on general webserving duties as well. I still need to order a new SWITCH, because we are out of ports to plug this stuff into. Fun, right?

You have probably noticed by now that we updated the Portal frontpage! Big up to Stamper once again! What are your thoughts?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:07:02

Looks great ^_^

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:09:05

sounds good has been pretty slow around here

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:09:13

Wow! Cool! I <3 the new layout.

Hopefully the new upgrades will result in less errors and a faster site!

Anyways, good luck!

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:10:57

Good job almighty Tom and James :)

I already noticed that it runs a lot smoother and better now.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:13:16

heh, you said "the site should be 'runner better'".

The new templates look real good by the way. I like.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:16:42

Looks spiffy! For a while after the upgrade went through, the site was running REEEEEALLY fast for me. I was thinking to myself, "Holy shit! It feels like I'm the only guy on here!" It sure felt like it. Soon, though, it slowed down some, but it still runs better than before.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it looks like you polished the portal banner animation some so it looks less like a jet engine fan and more like a... well... portal. Small detail, but details matter. Looks great, Tom!

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:17:21

IM FIRST YAY(i think). i aint that keen on the new portal frontpage

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:17:35

Im loving this. Newgrounds is gettin better =D

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:19:43

At 7/9/03 02:03 PM, TomFulp wrote:
You have probably noticed by now that we updated the Portal frontpage! Big up to Stamper once again! What are your thoughts?

i like the new portal page but i miss the way u could click on a entry and itd go air-born out of the portal city thing..oh well

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:34:54

The new layout on the portal looks much better. I've also noticed that the site runs a lot smoother.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:35:36

I think its kool Newgrounds needed an update

Updates, Upgrades, etc.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:38:49

i think newgrounds is running good and with the new desighn it is looking good.....

i like to see more pico.. incorperateing in the pages and more of newgrounds top charictures too like alian nomad and stuff like that...
that would make the best ng animators feel a vindication from the not less than awsome work they have done...

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:46:22

:stuff

GET A GOOD ACCOUNTANT OR CPA. You can write this stuff off; you probably know this already, but if not, you know now.
Also, it looks great, good job.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:47:38

I like the look of the portal banner much better

And I'm on 56k so it'll be hard to tell if the site runs better till I try to d/l some portal movies

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:55:06

the portal looks excellent. really is a nice change. dont know if this would cause trouble but, could u change the layout for someone flash movie page?. those are ciewed the most out of ne thing on ng. just a suggestion tom. great job.

Updates, Upgrades, etc.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 14:59:51

looks excellent, a nice change. i know tis may be much but tis just a suggestion tom. would it cause to much trouble to make a new page for ppls movies? those r the most viewed pages on NG. if ne thing just make it so the new ones r improved but kkep the old ones the same. just a suggestion :). ne ways great job.

Updates, Upgrades, etc.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 15:03:29

I agree with Stamper... the site used to be ugly.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 15:24:49

At 7/9/03 02:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: We had some issues over the past few days due to some new back-end software we were installing. As of

This is going no where, you should start asking money for ground gold, or continue the grounds platinum thing

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 15:25:34

Reducing the file size limit for new Flash from 5 megs to something like 2 megs would save bandwidth and encourage artists to optimise.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 15:29:55

I quite liked the old minimal design, but this is great. It really makes the whole site look a lot more professional, and the new buttons and the portal animation are really cool. But I did prefer the really old one, with those movies on the front page... I understand that that is impossible now, due to bandwidth problems, but that was still crazy.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 15:34:53

At 7/9/03 02:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: We had some issues over the past few days due to some new back-end software we were installing. As of today everything seems to be fine, so the site should be runner better.

good i was wondering why i got so many errors me be now i can post normallly again o wait too late i got a error when posting this =(

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 16:13:42

Hey, are we gonna get new blam, save and deposit points animations?

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 17:20:55

Great job,Ive been here for awhile and Ive supported all the changes and I dun think Im changing my views. Once again newgrounds looks good...plastic sergury to an old website^_^

Updates, Upgrades, etc.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 17:24:34

At 7/9/03 04:13 PM, BlingBlingMan wrote: Hey, are we gonna get new blam, save and deposit points animations?

no way! the ones we got are great. oh yeah i think the portal page looks great. but u cant see the under judgement movies to well. blends in with the background. well over alll its great. andif we do happen to change the deposite point animations i suggest this one i made. i messed up the background a lil and i could give the hand a wrist but otherwise i think its great. we could use it as lvl 1. cause then itwould match. there pist cause there lvl 1 so the give u the finger. and that lolypop thing is g.. stupid anyways.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 17:30:16

oops sorry i forgot thwe picture. and i dont really care i fit changes but what the hell. here it is. isnt it cool?

Updates, Upgrades, etc.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 17:58:57

Yea I guess I like everything. But dont you think you should redo the other pages too?You know Games and Toons.

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 18:10:00

Great job tom, uhm could ya do me a favor and delete 2 of my submissions? Blink Family Reunion, and Battle of the icons.

Blah Blah Blah..

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 18:26:57

awesome job stamper and tom

hope you get around to the rest of newgrounds

Response to Updates, Upgrades, etc. 2003-07-09 19:21:25

The New Portal Page Kicks Ass!!!! Its Awesome!! Next Work on changing the individual portal entries and the audio portal. (For some reason i still miss the old animation that can up when u used to vote... :( )

Updates, Upgrades, etc.