00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

craftydemoncat just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Appreciation Thread

2,252 Views | 23 Replies

Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-30 22:19:45

First of all, download Power Tab it will help a lot. Don't worry, its quick, safe, and easy to use. Its a great program that's helped millions of people learn and write music, centering around the guitar of course.

I respect other kinds of music, even the one's I don't like, the purpose of this thread is to help other people understand the fallacy of the stereotyped metal music.

First of all, here are some classic rock songs, all of them would make the top 10 of any list. I myself like all of these songs, I play them when I'm in the mood.

Stairway to Heaven
Hotel California
Satisfaction
Layla
Puple Haze
Money

"OMFG," you say, "I can totally see how this song is played, I now have a much better understanding of its overal complexity!"

Let me say it again, all of these are great songs, they have excellent riffs and solos. But now it's time to move on to my favorite genre, Metal. There's going to be a wide range and variety here, so huzza!

Master of Puppets - Honestly, this song's solos are not that hard, Kirk Hammett might be a God, but he really didn't push himself to the limit here. One important note is that EVERYTHING other than the solo is played with down picking. You're not really playing the song if it isn't down picked. Down picking is different in alternate picking where-as you don't pick back and forth, you pick down, bring the pck back, W/OUT HITTING THE STRING, and then bring it back down again.

I still remember the day I brought this song in to my guitar teacher, and he had to admit to me that he was a rock guitarist, he couldn't down pick. He's been playing for 30+ years, and can rock out circles around me, but I am clearly better at metal, (sweep picking, down picking, and speed). Is he a better musician than me? ROFLCOPTERBBQ YES, but different people are better at different things, it's just the way the world works.

Silent Night
Angels Don't Kill - okay, Angel's pretty easy, I just love it so damn much **gesticulates feverishly**. I can't get enough of this band, I want to model myself after them. Fucking seriously, go buy an album, when the guitarist and keyboardist do a duel solo, I cream my pants.

Crazy Train - ALL ABOARD BITCHES, Randy Rhoads is my guitar daddy, love him like you love your dick. Also, I noticed a mistake in the tab too, ignore it.

Burning Angel
Dead Bury Their Dead - MMM (half stack + ibanez IC400 + palm mute) = my floor rumbling **head bangs furiously** The solo in Burning Angel reminds of Satriani, you know, without being balls to walls difficult.

Hallowed be thy Name
The Trooper
Run to the Hills - IS DAT SUM MAIDEN, God damn it I can't get enough of those vocals, every day I wish I had a singing voice, I'd love to bring the wailing back to Metal.

Fermented Offal Discharge - Ok, I admit, I really hate his singing. Otherwise, the entire song is pretty impressive, but just skip to the solo, its neo-classical inspired (unlike the usually blues inspired everything else). Also, yes I know what fermented, offal, and discharge are, gross idea isnt' it >:P I think it would make some kind of SPLOOSH sound.

Raining Blood - This song was really meant for live performances, but the opening can still bring chills.

Pull Harder on the Strings of your Martyr - BOOOOAT RUDDDER STRANGE MOUNTAIN. If you get it, you get it, if you don't, you don't. So yes, they aren't my favorite band, but that song is so much God damn fun to play. Also, the solo pretty rad.

Hangar 18
Tornado of Souls
Peace Sells
Symphony of Destruction - Oh Jesus yes, my favorite favorite band. I love Hanger 18 for its solos (SO, SO MANY!), I love Symphony for its overall tonality.

I provided these tabs to offer greater understanding of the instrumental significance in Metal. To really enjoy these songs, find them. Listen to the real thing, you can't compare the tab to the actual song.

Do you hear the Arpeggios? Do you feel thud of the palm mute? Do you see the fury of the down pick? Please remember, I'm not asking you to like metal, I'm just asking to stop saying retarded crap like "DUH, they are playing improperly tuned instruments with no tempo and just spewing incoherent Satanic babble."

So everyone, why not post some of your favorite songs? Metal or not, it doesn't matter, its good to see people achieve a greater comprehension and understanding of music.

Side Note: Please don't jump on my balls if a link doesn't work properly, its fucking hard to link so much and not make a mistake. Also, if somehow this entire thing is some sort of cock bomb mess (its happened b4 when i tryed to link, it put all of the links in random places), please a mod delete this thread, I'm asking kindly.

Rust in Peace? Yes.

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-30 22:23:19

I forgot to mention. Mods, don't worry about any legality issue. Sites that host tabs won the battle of whether or not it was legal to give away tablature. Stealing music is illegal, downloading tabs is not.

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-30 22:44:09

Aw fuck it, bump and I'm gonna go play CSS.

this is called giving it the good old college try, btw

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-30 22:45:21

I FUCKING LOVE METAL.

My favourite metal is aluminum.

"If you had what normal men had, I wouldn't need batteries anymore!"

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 16:50:44

BUMP FOR GOOD METAL

mmkay

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 16:53:33

This thread actually made me laugh.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 16:55:10

Children of Bodom Rule. I actually just finished playing the solo to Silent Night, Bodom Night.

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 17:01:41

At 8/31/07 04:55 PM, OrphanShadow wrote: Children of Bodom Rule. I actually just finished playing the solo to Silent Night, Bodom Night.

Try learning Towards Dead End, it's a killer =D

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 17:01:59

Powertabs? No way. Gutar pro 5 is 1000000x better than powertab. Besides, you shouldn't rely on tabs, they don't do any good for you. They're fine for stumpage but not for learning a whole song on an instrument. I learned the hard way.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 17:03:37

No Dream Theater?

I do respect your love for Rust in Peace though ;D

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 17:06:22

At 8/31/07 05:01 PM, elegy wrote: Powertabs? No way. Gutar pro 5 is 1000000x better than powertab. Besides, you shouldn't rely on tabs, they don't do any good for you. They're fine for stumpage but not for learning a whole song on an instrument. I learned the hard way.

What? By ear? Anyways, Guitar pro costs money (I believe), where-as power tabs is free. Its like comparing microsoft word with ambiword, Microsoft is better, but Ambiword is free. Also, I really doubt tabs don't do good for you. As you know, the guitar overlaps, I can play the same E 5 different places on my 22 fret guitar. You could always trudge out the sheet music, but it slows you down. Besides, I'm taking the advice from my teacher over you "Using a tab is fine as long as you can also read sheet music."

I really fail to see how using tabs could hinder you in any way.

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 17:07:47

Metal is the best, my favorite album is prophecy from soulfly.

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 17:08:23

Sheet music is better and actually simpler to read once you've memorized the notes. (accents, pms, ect are all much easier to read)

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 17:11:36

At 8/31/07 05:03 PM, FlameMesial wrote: No Dream Theater?

I do respect your love for Rust in Peace though ;D

I thought I linked enuff XD

I mean i could whip out Malmsteen and Michael Angelo Batio, but I thought it more appropriate to link things I can actually play. If this thread really does gain steam, I'll post a follow up.

FUCK YOU AND YOUR DOUBLE GUITARS

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 17:29:34

At 8/31/07 05:01 PM, hukedunfonikswork wrote:
At 8/31/07 04:55 PM, OrphanShadow wrote: Children of Bodom Rule. I actually just finished playing the solo to Silent Night, Bodom Night.
Try learning Towards Dead End, it's a killer =D

The intro makes me cramp up. So much sweeping....ouch

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 23:01:01

I really fail to see how using tabs could hinder you in any way.

When i first started out, it was all about trying the most difficult songs that i could never finish. I had nothing to impress friends or myself. I decided to learn some cool, yet simple songs like back in black, thunderstruck (a little later on), tnt etc. Once again, i played only the cool parts and my friends weren't impressed with just an intro.

I started doing improv and learning theory (never had a teacher), my ears were complete shit because tabs were my source for music. I realised that i wasn't as great or had as good of pitch sensitivity that i thought i would.

I started learning songs by ear and little by little, my creative side began to shine. I couldn't hear before hand what the next note or chord would sound like but for some reason, it was instinctive. When i played notes or chords by curiosity, it wouldn't sound like anything i had in mind when i was still hooked on tabs. Now things seem to work.

Tabs can only help a more experienced musician who is stuck on some parts of a song. Having a teacher can only help you.

Copying from tabs is like copying off your friend's homework before class or cheating on a test in your favorite class. I use tabs for some of the faster licks or more complex licks but i try not too cause I can't stay interested that way. Theres less pride and sense of accomplishment.

I have no clue why i wrote this, I just felt like writing something off topic i guess.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 23:15:22

No Iced Earth GOD DAMMIT?!!1

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-08-31 23:19:04

Metal Hell, anyone?

Right behind you

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-09-01 00:41:32

At 8/31/07 11:15 PM, TheBasics wrote: No Iced Earth GOD DAMMIT?!!1
At 8/31/07 05:07 PM, Sir-mafkees wrote: Metal is the best, my favorite album is prophecy from soulfly.
At 8/31/07 05:03 PM, FlameMesial wrote: No Dream Theater?

**rolls eyes** The original point of this thread was to show that Metal is a real musical genre that has its own difficulties, and isn't uncomplicated shit. The point of posting the power tabs was that so everyone could see, without any kind of confusion or excuse, how hard or not hard a song might actually be to play. I would have posted youtube links if I just wanted to share my favorite guitar solo.

But since everyone likes to remind me their specific favorite band isn't there, I'll go post a round two of tabs tomorrow or somthing, so if you want to suggest stuff, now is the time below.

\\\///
\\//
\/

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-11-20 17:01:27

Sorry for bumping this very old thread, but I wanted to ask something. My friend used to like nu-metal and metalcore (ie: Slipknot and Killswitch Engage, respectively). But once her learned to play the bass he started listening to Metallica, and all those classic metal bands. Does learning how to play a guitar or bass make you appreciate classic metal more?

This account is no longer active. Let this signature serve as the only existing tribute to this account's former greatness.

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-11-20 17:53:02

At 8/30/07 10:45 PM, DepressedStone wrote: I FUCKING LOVE METAL.

My favourite metal is aluminum.

Heavy metal is so much better.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-11-20 17:54:22

This thread fails due to lack of Rammstein.

Also, isn't there like a crew for this?

There is nothing you can name that is more delicious and awesome than Subway.

I run on Mountain Dew.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-11-20 17:56:37

I'll definitely check out that power tab thing.

Response to Metal Appreciation Thread 2007-11-20 18:01:37

wow! who the heck says metal is dead!... thats bs lol... metal will never die! all the good metal bands are still out there and singing.