00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kawishinto just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thanks! 2001-06-17 20:44:37

First question:

What's your preferred (programming) language?

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-17 20:58:54

At 6/17/01 08:44 PM, liljim wrote: First question:

Php! Woo!

I need to expand my horizons. Maybe I should learn javascript or something, but I'm not even that good with php. Javascript is the same exact syntax as flash 5 though, so I guess I already know it and not the functions.

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-18 02:18:56

Visual Basic. A lot of people try to play Visual Basic because it's so easy to learn, acting like if you don't program in C++ then you aren't a real programmer. I think that's such bullshit. I know C++ fairly well and I'd say that the fact that you could port your code to pretty much any platform does make it #1, but since all I ever use is a PC - Visual Basic is my language of choice. Application development is sooooooooooooooooooo much faster.

All the programming/scripting languages I know: All the DOS commands suitable for making sweet batch files, BASICA/GW-BASIC, QuickBasic, Visual Basic/VBA/VBScript, C++/Java/JavaScript, ASP (really just another way of implementing VBScript and JavaScript), ActionScript (v5), and I've dabbled very slightly in the world of Perl and PHP.

Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-18 02:31:24

At 6/18/01 02:18 AM, stuporman wrote:

Visual Basic. A lot of people try to play Visual Basic because it's so easy to learn, acting like if you don't program in C++ then you aren't a real programmer. I think that's such bullshit. I know C++ fairly well and I'd say that the fact that you could port your code to pretty much any platform does make it #1, but since all I ever use is a PC - Visual Basic is my language of choice. Application development is sooooooooooooooooooo much faster.

All the programming/scripting languages I know: All the DOS commands suitable for making sweet batch files, BASICA/GW-BASIC, QuickBasic, Visual Basic/VBA/VBScript, C++/Java/JavaScript, ASP (really just another way of implementing VBScript and JavaScript), ActionScript (v5), and I've dabbled very slightly in the world of Perl and PHP.

Heh, QBasic is way old. I knew that back in 'the day.'

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-18 02:31:45

Erm. I like actionscript...though I dont have much of a selection of languages to choose from ;P

I know Actionscipt, HTML and Javascript. How pathetic, I really should learn php and C++ as well as other stuff, but I'm having trouble learning programming as well as art...I now see why people specialize.

Oh well.

-Doodler

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-18 10:05:20

I've got books here for ColdFusion, ASP, PHP, and Java (not JavaScript) that I keep meaning to finish. Sometimes I think it's pretty pathetic that all I know is HTML and XHTML, and they're not really programming languages. Maybe I can crack them open now and bug the hell out of you guys :)

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-18 12:54:26

At 6/18/01 10:05 AM, Freakapotimus wrote: I've got books here for ColdFusion, ASP, PHP, and Java (not JavaScript) that I keep meaning to finish. Sometimes I think it's pretty pathetic that all I know is HTML and XHTML, and they're not really programming languages. Maybe I can crack them open now and bug the hell out of you guys :)

Heh, then you'd just have to have a server that supports cold fusion. What does XHTML do?

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-18 14:51:36

At 6/18/01 12:54 PM, thisisnotmike wrote: Heh, then you'd just have to have a server that supports cold fusion. What does XHTML do?

Supposedly, the server here at work supports ColdFusion, so I'll just have to start learning it and testing it at work. I'll tell them I'm working on something for their website ;)

XHTML 1.1 is the next version of HTML 4.0. Supposedly there will be no more HTML releases. XHTML is the transistion phase between HTML and XML, which I am also learning.

Then again, I've got to make sure that the website can still be read by Netscape 2. Yeach!

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-18 16:45:43

Are there any major differences in it?

I think it would be cool if html would work like flash in ways. Like getting the x and y values of crap and then setting the absolute position of crap to them.

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-19 10:26:03

At 6/18/01 04:45 PM, thisisnotmike wrote: Are there any major differences in it?

I think it would be cool if html would work like flash in ways. Like getting the x and y values of crap and then setting the absolute position of crap to them.

XHTML isn't that much different, but there are some things that don't seem like a big deal, but need to be there. Like every tag MUST have a closing tag. Even for things like images. You'd have to have stuff like this:

img src="p00p.gif" /
hr width="75%" /

Because the / at the end acts like the ending tag.

I think with some DHTML and CSS you can do a lot with positioning. I have a job with this stuff, and I'm still learning!

And Jim, I'm still trying to figure out how you got the arrows to work. p00p on you!

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-19 10:56:37

At 6/19/01 10:26 AM, Freakapotimus wrote: And Jim, I'm still trying to figure out how you got the arrows to work. p00p on you!

Arrows? Am I missing something?

I learn from the best: http://geocities.com/webtekrocks/ Hehe.

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-19 11:57:29

At 6/19/01 10:56 AM, liljim wrote: Arrows? Am I missing something?

Tag enclosures. I can't get the to work on the BBS when I use actual HTML tags, but I can use them <like this>

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-19 12:05:41

At 6/19/01 11:57 AM, Freakapotimus wrote:
At 6/19/01 10:56 AM, liljim wrote: Arrows? Am I missing something?
Tag enclosures. I can't get the to work on the BBS when I use actual HTML tags, but I can use them <like this>

Wrap them in bold, italic, or underlined tags ;)

Like so:

<Bold Tag to the left, Italic to the right>

<HTML!>

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-19 13:18:58

At 6/19/01 12:05 PM, liljim wrote: Wrap them in bold, italic, or underlined tags ;)

DAH! I love you!

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-20 18:11:51

Im BEAST's brother, and my prefered language is C/C++. But then I do code more on Unix than I do on Win.
Still, as for the VB comments, well ya VB is good for RAD I guess, but it offers to higher a lever of abstraction for my liking.

-Andy

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-20 18:14:13

At 6/20/01 06:11 PM, BEAST wrote: Im BEAST's brother, and my prefered language is C/C++. But then I do code more on Unix than I do on Win.
Still, as for the VB comments, well ya VB is good for RAD I guess, but it offers to higher a lever of abstraction for my liking.

-Andy

Sorry, he cant be arsed to make an account :P

-BEAST

Response to Thanks! 2001-06-22 21:02:45

Preferred is Java - Java and XML together will rule the world!

I like C++ too - it's Java, but without the fancy, pussy shit. REAL programmers manage their own memory and don't need an object wrapper for every single little thing!

:o)

Response to Thanks! 2024-01-12 10:44:07

ACTION SCRIPT 3!!!!!!

because I can easily work with Adobe AIR

Response to Thanks! 2024-01-12 20:56:49 (edited 2024-01-12 20:57:07)

I'm between C++ and JS. C++ allows me to work with memory and do most of things from zero without going binary or hex, but JS makes it easier to experiment diverse things (don't forget that with JS I can make games for NG)

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature