00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CdmollerV1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

B/P ranks 51+

1,112,932 Views | 16,257 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 05:55:42

At 3/28/11 05:25 AM, SlashFirestorm wrote: Back in my B/P'ing days (and I'm sure it still happens now, though I'm not on the Portal enough to know the prevalence), a lot of shitty flash passed because they had relatively lengthy and well-made preloader/intros...which they used to trick idiots into voting protection on even the shittiest flash. What I did was consider the intro in my voting once...and only once. First time I saw it, I'd include it in my scoring procedure, but after that I would just consider the feature presentation. I'm not active anymore, but if I saw one of those dress-up games, I'd likely give it a passing score as long as it functioned and had at least modest graphics and sound...but only that one time. Every single remake would get a zero from me for having no original content (changing images is not sufficient), period. If the submitter wants me to give them a passing score, then they better make something new for me to vote on.

Slash this shit still happens. What is worse is that even unknown people who have at least one or two passing flashes can 9 times out of ten get flash passed even if it is complete shit. Hell I remember earlier in the year the clock crew was doing some flash flood shit and every single one passed most of them where complete shit. But did the masses care Hell no! Just because it was a clock crew member it passed. One of the flashes I remember was just a clock saying "you are gay!" before ending. I voted 0 on that shit but did it get blammed no! It passed with a score above a 2!

I will admit that some of those dress up games fooled me and got my protect vote for it being a functioning game that work with some quality, however after I started seeing the same shit over and over I voted 0 but it didn't do any good what so ever.

As for that flashy intro shit you were talking about the biggest offenders of this was the SS. One example of this was the BPB (Big penis Begaide) Anyone who was voting in the portal in in early 2006 would remember this shit. They used the same fancy intro that ran a minute long to fool the masses into voting on that before the actual flash played. What was worse was that after a while they used the same cartoons without changes and the shit still passed. The only good thing I can say happened was Wade finally deleted the spam account and the series went with it.

Unfortunately, since the majority of the Portal-browsing people don't do this...yeah.

Of course not, they just open the flash vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 and move on without looking at the flash. Some ldiots even say "If it is spam I will vote 2 to lessen the of it passing" (Insert Facepalm here) What they are really saying is that "I am voting 2 because even thought it is spam I don't want to part with a point!"

Portal mods portal mods portal mods. I don't care if it'd make people bitch about them not getting to decide everything---they've proven that they cannot be trusted to make the final decision on anything. Hell, just two or three people (who've proven they're not idiots) to delete obvious shit would be all it takes, especially since it seems that the daily submit rate has gone down quite a bit from a few years back. Three people watching the Portal when less than 100 submissions are submitted a day? More than enough.

I remember Wade talking about adding these in 2006 but I guess the idea never went through. Most likely thinking that these mods will abuse their power. Though it would be nice if the NG staff hired some people they trusted to do this job so they know that it would be fair.

But I don't think that will ever happen. fgfgsdfgsdg

We can dream can't we?

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 08:56:16

At 3/28/11 05:25 AM, SlashFirestorm wrote: Portal mods portal mods portal mods. I don't care if it'd make people bitch about them not getting to decide everything---they've proven that they cannot be trusted to make the final decision on anything. Hell, just two or three people (who've proven they're not idiots) to delete obvious shit would be all it takes, especially since it seems that the daily submit rate has gone down quite a bit from a few years back. Three people watching the Portal when less than 100 submissions are submitted a day? More than enough.

I'll do it. I'll do it hard. If it were up to me, everything under 1.0 right now would be removed, everyone who got a save point for one of them would have it removed, and everyone who voted to blam it would get a blam. Given the current system here, assuming no portal mods, I'd say the best way to change it would be to raise the initial standards so that it needs an average of 2 or higher after 200 votes (since that's what you have to vote to save it anyway), and if it ever drops below 1.5 it's retroactively removed, and if it's retroactively removed quickly enough (say within 50 more votes) then protection points are removed and blam points are awarded to those who voted 0 or 1 during judgment.

I'm actually developing a theme-specific portal of my own right now, and I'm not going to use anything close to a B/P system. Instead, I'm using a "proximity to final rating" system. Rather than getting points on a pass/fail basis, it will be based on how close you were to the final rating of the submission once it left the judgment period. So using the NG system, if you voted 5 to pass the flash but it only passed with a 2.12, you don't get anything for it. If you voted 1 but it passed anyway with a 1.67, you get a point for doing an accurate job of judging its quality. If it gets blammed at 1.54 and you voted 2, you get a point. I haven't decided what I'll call it yet, but I'm leaning toward something like "Reputation" or "Judgment". I don't think it would work on NG, but given my expected user contributions I think it will work fine for my target audience.

As for how to have portal mods without risking an abuse of power, I think the thing to do is have 6-8 of them who are trusted, and if 3 of them vote blam then the submission is blammed after receiving 200 votes regardless of score. After passing, flash mods would have a button that essentially says "This is shit, get it out of my portal," and enough of them pressing that button would retroactively blam it. What to do about blams and protects in that case would require tweaking and judgment by people who know more than I about such things, but I'd say it would depend on the submission's score at the time it's retroblammed: if it's below some threshold, blams and protects are reassigned. At least, that's my first idea.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 09:52:30

At 3/27/11 04:22 PM, Coop wrote: Who's with us?

It's sad enough to have to agree with his statement as it is, so I'm on board. I may be a few spots beneath you, but my effort will be identical to try and make sure not a single unworthy submission passes.

Elite Guard Barracks Former 3IC

NG Dept. of Defense Chief Sup. Commander/Ball buster.

I live in Israel:...Whooptie-fucking-doo.

BBS Signature

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 12:56:28

At 3/28/11 05:09 AM, LittleWashu wrote:
At 3/28/11 03:29 AM, Haggard wrote:
Exactly this is what pisses me off the most. When this 123games-guy first startet posting flashes, I saved them. They wheren't exactly high quality games, but there wasn't anything wrong with them.
But after the 10th dress up game, I really got fed up with this constant stream of shit, and started voting 1 or 0. But sadly, all the flashes are still getting saved... :/
What do you expect from most of the masses? They want their points, and if the bandwagon is to save then that is what they will do. Besides while a lot us know that it is the same shit over and over again with little effort a lot of the massess don't know this or if they do don't care.

The amusing part of this is that you seem to make a distinction between "the masses" and "us" while clearly if there is any difference at all, it's hazy at best. It's already been said that many of the active users in the upper regions of this list are to blame for poor/no judgment, and the top 50 can hardly be considered the average user. If anything, the masses are to be blamed less since they may vote poorly because they are not aware of the problem, while "we", on the other hand...

And you say it like we're above them, too. To me - and this is just a matter of opinion so don't take it personally - the term "masses" makes it seem like they are a lower order of user, while you are a superior user because you possess knowledge about how the portal works. I know you don't think that but putting the blame on others, even if done rightly so, doesn't do much good.

Fuck it, I'm sick of the blame game and I'm sick of making this problem seem like more of a big deal than it really is. Nobody's making you watch the shit that gets protected. Better this than a decent flash getting blammed. Yes, things should be blammed that aren't, but protected or blammed, a bad submission will disappear into the abyss of Less-Than-500-Views Purgatory.

Request an audio review. I could use some motivation.

BBS Signature

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 14:36:57

I gave up with B/P a long time ago, when the whores stop I will return (never).

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 16:44:09

I never thought i'd see the day that this list would go on a hiatus. But at least it is for a really good reason. I can't say I have the best voting habits but I only get about 1/3 of the blams that I actually vote 0 or 1 on. Sometimes seeing broken games or pointlessly short loops pass. I'd like to see an improvement in the portal as much as most people but only time will really tell and maybe Bahamut's decision to stop updating the list is what will kick start it.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 19:18:20

In related news, the fuck is up with all the linkbucks.com submissions recently? The Tau Troops submissions (4 so far) are nothing but crappy loops with linkbucks links embedded in the video. How much do you want to bet at least a couple of them pass?

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 19:43:32

At 3/28/11 07:18 PM, DiMono wrote: In related news, the fuck is up with all the linkbucks.com submissions recently? The Tau Troops submissions (4 so far) are nothing but crappy loops with linkbucks links embedded in the video. How much do you want to bet at least a couple of them pass?

Well, I've done my bit to prevent them, so everyone else better follow suit, if they're with us. We cna win this fight!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 20:13:43

I had a brain fart and voted 5 on 1 of them but once I caught my mistake I voted 0 on the rest.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-28 20:23:49

Having all of us continue to vote the honest way won't do anything to help the portal since "most" of the people that post here vote the right way anyway. The majority of the problem will never even see this thread. Even if they did they wouldn't be able to read the amount of words in anyone of the posts to comprehend that they were a problem.

Somehow you need to get it out to the majority, the actual problem, but it's nearly impossible to do something like that.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 08:26:19

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/565698Stuff like this is the real problem with people just blindly voting 5. The game didn't even work, all that happened was a white screen apparently, and it passed anyway; it was removed by the author after the fact. This is the stuff that really pisses me off, when things that don't even work make it through judgment.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 10:01:09

Can we all vote low on the five or six people that seem to submit really crappy dressup games every single day?

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 10:04:55

They tend to pass with scores over 2.4, I seriously doubt we'd be able to get any blammed. What's needed is a change in the passing grades, so rather than 1.6 it actually takes an average of 2.0 to pass. Then we'll be able to have the effect we want.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 10:57:58

Alright, I've written about it in my news area. Link as many people as you can to it, and maybe we'll actually be able to turn this boat around. Basically, that news entry and things like it need as much exposure to the masses as possible, so every little link helps.

I wonder, if enough of us sent it to Tom, would he put it on the front page...

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 12:16:29

I'm now upset. This exited judgment at 0.62. It was listed as on the verge of death with over 200 votes in. I can't even think of a way for this to have passed, but there it is.

I hate people.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 13:05:11

At 3/29/11 12:16 PM, DiMono wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/56 6038
I'm now upset. This exited judgment at 0.62. It was listed as on the verge of death with over 200 votes in. I can't even think of a way for this to have passed, but there it is.

I hate people.

Haha, I followed that submission too after voting 0 on it. I think this is a perfect example of the discussion that has been going on for the last few days. It's time for some changes!

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 13:52:56

It's a sad sad sign of the times, idiots in numbers are a dangerous thing. For the little B/P I've done in the last year, I've seen my B/P ratio swell in favour of saves, in spite of the fact I blam a lot of submissions which I feel are poor. Sadly, the ones I blam generally then wind up passing, meaning that while my save count grows, my blam count stagnates.

I just feel disappointed in the voting public as a whole, that Bahamut would (rightly given the circumstances) be driven to halting this list after all the history it has, as one of the oldest threads in the Wi/Ht forum. It's pathetic, absolutely shamelessly pathetic.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 14:16:12

At 3/29/11 12:16 PM, DiMono wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/56 6038

I hate people.

I would have voted 0 on something like that had I not been sleeping when it was under judgement. Looks like that submission is on its way to being the lowest scoring of all time at this rate just a shame it will always be around now because it passed the 1.6 save mark at 200 votes.

Heres an idea, we will let artists keep their flashes for as long as they want as long as they do not get deleted from newgrounds. No matter how bad it falls below our 1.6 save mark.

I swear its sad if we attacked this video for a while we could get its score to 0.01(as unlikely as that is) and it still wouldn't get blammed. Thats going to stay for as long as that guy has an account, or until he decides to delete it if he ever does.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 14:42:14

At 3/29/11 02:16 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: if we attacked this video for a while we could get its score to 0.01(as unlikely as that is) and it still wouldn't get blammed. Thats going to stay for as long as that guy has an account, or until he decides to delete it if he ever does.

I don't see anything wrong with the flash (as bad as it is, and yes it SHOULD have been blammed!) remaining on this site. Now it's been here it doesn't harm anyone, does it?

My lowest scoring flash, which was submitted on Madness Day (really just a second Clock Day :/ )

still remains on this site, even though it has a score of 0.85. I don't see anything wrong with it (well, I did most of the downvoting myself, it once even was as low as 0.80), as nobody is harmed by this lousy submission.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 14:43:15

At 3/29/11 02:16 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: Heres an idea, we will let artists keep their flashes for as long as they want as long as they do not get deleted from newgrounds. No matter how bad it falls below our 1.6 save mark.

Of course, it doesn't help any when people post crap like this here and it gets through. Did so well he's posted a sequel!

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 16:04:54

I hate people.

The only good I can say about that flash is that it is so low that any spam crew members trying to get TOTW this week will have a real hard time getting it with a flash having a score that low. But still that shit should have been blammed big time.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-29 19:42:52

At 3/29/11 06:03 PM, SCTE3 wrote: I have a sad feeling that most of the people voting are new users who don't read the rules or such. They simply go there thinking this is the same as youtube (likely where they came from) and just think they dumbest crap is worth keeping. Oh sure, a white screen may be funny for a moment but do you really want to see it a few days later still living in the portal? No!!

I have no idea if new users get a PM of any kind upon signing up but they should receive a few emails from the site bots M-Bot and P-Bot informing them how to review and how to vote correctly on submissions. Heck, if you go the submit page it even tells you what kind of crap should be kept out and people still vote 2-5 on despite this statement.

I doubt anybody goes to the faq after they sign up anymore. I think it would be a great idea to have it directly linked after sign-up though. It would save a lot of confusion for new people and help make it so they are more informed.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-31 02:57:24

Look at yesterdays ratio. 44 blams to 83 submissions. Thats more than HALF. Good job to everyone involved.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-31 03:51:37

At 3/31/11 02:57 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: Look at yesterdays ratio. 44 blams to 83 submissions. Thats more than HALF. Good job to everyone involved.

actually some of those flashes had score >2.00
they passed the judgment before getting manually removed.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-31 04:26:41

At 3/31/11 03:51 AM, i-am-ghey wrote:
At 3/31/11 02:57 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: Look at yesterdays ratio. 44 blams to 83 submissions. Thats more than HALF. Good job to everyone involved.
actually some of those flashes had score >2.00
they passed the judgment before getting manually removed.

Well either way how often do you see the blam count being over 50% for a day?

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-31 04:38:38

depends on the total no. of submissions. indeed 44 submissions getting blam'd is above average.

and maybe it's just me, but i feel that a higher proportion of flashes are getting blam'd already. (my save/blam ratio over the decreased to 6:1 for the last 2 days.)

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-31 04:45:51

At 3/31/11 04:26 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: Well either way how often do you see the blam count being over 50% for a day?

But it wasn't over 50% - If you apply that logic, I got 42 Saves out of the 39 available. From 82 submissions, I got 11 Blams and 42 Saves 64% of the day's available points, with a conversion rate of a little higher, because I'm sure I missed a few while sleeping.

Granted, there were more Blams out there yesterday, but you'd be better off looking at around 30. Generally, I get 30% of the Blams available on any given day.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-31 08:10:59

Indeed, a couple times the number of blammed flashes have been higher than the number of submitted flashes. You have to look at the flash ids of the blammed flashes to know whether they were blammed on the way in, or removed after the fact. When a staff member goes in and deletes a user and all their stuff, they can sometimes flood the blammed flashes page with years of old submissions.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-31 17:39:24

At 3/31/11 02:22 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
Wonder if Tom is ever going to do that massive blam day? I for one would enjoy to see a majority of the cookie cutter games removed in one day. At first it was OK but then they just start posting the same crap with minimal changes everyday and it got tiring and annoying. I would not mind if they were submitting the same kind of thing possibly once every week or two but to see two of theme everyday is annoying. Kind of hate how even when I push the 0 button on them that they still pass. Maybe delete all but the five highest scoring ones?

it's really quite simple, if we all actually start voting zero on the crap, it will get blammed. while i'd like nothing more than a few select accounts to get nuked, we may as well at least try to stem the flow ourselves.

Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2011-03-31 17:44:26

in fact, come to think about it, i'm very tempted just to say fuck it and whistle some of them.