00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

stupidvampire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Creature Collab

6,503 Views | 85 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Creature Collab 2007-07-19 22:24:51

NOTE: Please skim through the last few pages of the thread before creating anything. This is going to evolve over time, but I%u2019ll try to keep regular updates.

Hey everyone! I've wanted to do some interface work for a while, so I've decided to put together a bestiary of all sorts of creatures. In essence it'll be a library with pictures and text descriptions of each creature.

Concept
The game/animation will run a lot like a futuristic handheld encyclopedia would. The main menu will list the different creature types (I'll decide how to sort them out once the content is all created), and from there will be a list of creature names that you click to bring up the bio. The bio screen will display the creature's name and picture or "video" next to a text description of it. At the bottom there%u2019ll be a line that says "Entry created by: {Name}" with a text link to the creator's user page. All of the menus will be animated. (Check out my website for an example: www.particlasm.com).

Setting
I'd like the setting to be post-apocalyptic. The basic idea is that most of the people on earth are dead from disease or natural disaster, and strange creatures have taken over. I didn't want to come up with the exact story yet so everyone who enters can help with the final version if they want.

Entries
This is going to be a serious collab, so I won't be accepting penis-monsters and vaginafish, sorry. If you don't feel like writing a bio, that's okay, you can just submit the art and I (or someone else in the thread) can write something up (just remember you can't protest if you don't like the description). If you don't feel like drawing, but want to write, that's cool too, except you might not make it in if no one makes a picture for it. If there aren't too many of these, I won't mind drawing a few.

All the art has to be sent to me as vector art in a .fla document so it can be sized appropriately and doesn't take up too much room. I'd like to have a lot of entries. If you're feeling ambitious and want to animate, I'd definitely accept that, just make sure the creature stays in one spot and doesn%u2019t move around the screen. Also, no backgrounds.

The text portion should be included in the email so I can keep everything together. For this, try to keep it in 3rd person format so it sounds like an encyclopedia entry. You can include things like weight, diet, what cities it%u2019s attacked, where it originated, etc. I have an example below. There%u2019s no limit to length.

You can make a whole species, or a monster that is one of a kind. They don%u2019t have to be violent or evil, either; a spiked lava squirrel is perfectly acceptable. Just try to be somewhat original, don%u2019t draw a centaur or a dragon. Humanoids are fine as long as they don%u2019t look human (i.e. no elves; refer to my example below).

Mainly, I%u2019d like people to spend some time on the art. It doesn%u2019t have to be amazing, but if you draw a circle with stick arms and legs I%u2019m not going to include it.

This will be open until the file is too big to submit to Newgrounds or everyone loses interest. Please send .fla files to Kajenx@comcast.net or you can IM me on MSN messenger at Kajenx@MSN.com.

Feel free to post WIP, ideas, etc on this thread, I%u2019ll be checking back for questions regularly.

Credit
Everyone who contributes art or writing that is used in the Collab will receive credit. There will be a credits page with links to user-pages, each entry will have a link to it author%u2019s user page, and I will collab everyone when I submit the file.

Example Entry

Name: Brockun

The Brockun is a massive monster made of seemingly solid stone. When it first appeared on the outskirts of Phoenix, Arizona, where a rather large settlement of humans still remained, people thought it was peaceful, though intimidating, and generally left it alone. However, when torrential rains struck the area, the creature went mad and rampaged through the already decimated city, killing hundreds. From that time onward, the survivors, having nowhere else to go, moved down into the sewers to deal with less intimidating monsters. The Brockun%u2019s name comes from a word the children made up to describe the deafening sounds of its footstep on the streets above.

Creature Collab

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-19 22:50:11

lol

looks like you spent more time on the damn rules than that wack pic.

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-19 22:56:27

it really does sound like a fun little thing.

ill get you a pic within a few days

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-19 22:56:53

Hey, I like my rock man!! Don't come and crap on my parade unless you wanna show me up with something better. :P

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-19 22:59:19

XD OMG lol

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-19 23:34:17

This sounds neat...here's a WIP of what I have so far...I hope you don't mind hand-drawn stuff...

Creature Collab

lol jpeg quality

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-19 23:41:07

At 7/19/07 10:50 PM, MindChamber wrote: lol

LOL

I may do something for this

I didn't even read half the stuff in the rules tho >_>;

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 00:00:36

"This sounds neat...here's a WIP of what I have so far...I hope you don't mind hand-drawn stuff..."

That looks great, but I really only want to use vector art to keep the file small. If possible, please import it into flash and trace it. If not possible, we'll see, go ahead and post it anyway I guess. If the file get too big the .jpgs will be the first to go.

Yeah I know who Mindchamber is. That's why I put a ":P" smiley. Hopefully he wont ban me... :x

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 00:07:28

At 7/19/07 10:50 PM, MindChamber wrote: lol

somone just got rofled by a mod

thanks stonecoldsoul!!!! PS3 lounge FTW!! Pm me for my real user name. the most uber post of all TIME!

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 00:14:18

This sounds very interesting, its just a shame you can only use vector art, alot of great creatures can be created in photoshop. Is there any way you can tell us the max dimensions so we could use PS instead? If not thats still cool and I will most likely participate. I like the whole "post apocalyptic" theme, very nice. If you are looking for some entrants, I could use this for the theme for next weeks "Creature of the Week" and see if people wish to submit to your collab.

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 00:39:51

Alright, I'll take .jpgs too, but please make them nice and big so I can downsize them without losing the details. Hopefully it wont make the file too big.

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 00:41:40

I just realized that sounded confusing. Please make them big enough so I don't have to upscale them instead of downscaling.

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 00:43:58

Oh, and please make the background transparent. *Wishes there was an edit button...*

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 00:53:18

Wow, I might actually make something for this. It sounds like a good idea, although the starter pic was a bit off. Either way I'll get started later on, because it's almost 1 in the morning.

My latest submission: An Irresponsible Wish - DeviantArt

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 01:21:57

GAH! Leave my rockman alone! I was trying a new style!!

Anyway, oops, maybe you can't transparent a .jpg. Whatever, just send me anything and if I can't get it to work I'll hunt you down...

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 03:12:45

At 7/20/07 12:47 AM, ElementalSoldier wrote:
At 7/20/07 12:43 AM, Kajenx wrote: Oh, and please make the background transparent. *Wishes there was an edit button...*
N00b question,how do you have a transparent bg on a jpeg.

It's not a really noob question. Most people don't know, but only .png's are any good at capturing transparency, and maybe .gif's... But with most of my work (unless its animated) i use .png's because they have no restriction on colour, as .gif's have a limitation of 256.

"Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress."

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 06:14:00

Name: Shining Reaper

A discovered reality more than a legend, the Shining Reaper wonders the world, killing any living creature in its path. Named for his shining teeth, no one is sure where it orginated. A popular rumor says it once was a dentist who sold his/her body to the devil for immortality and perfect teeth, the devil agreed if he/she also became a reaper. When the Shining Reaper dies, it enters a body of a person it has killed, like normal Reapers, but its shining teeth go with him.

Creature Collab

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 06:57:50

At 7/20/07 06:31 AM, ElementalSoldier wrote:
At 7/20/07 06:14 AM, Paper-Shadow wrote: Name: Shining Reaper
You spent more time writing the description than drawing that didn't you?

Mainly because I couldn't think of a name, but I think so...

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 07:18:48

draft

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image =blisterxs6.png

voluntary detonation of boils containing corrosive volatile digestive fluids, no arms, uses legs.

consumption of pray through that stomach mouth thing i threw in there.

teeth on head more for mechanical destruction of flesh to disable foodstuffs.

whoa.

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 07:58:56

I'M IN!!!! I'LL POST SUMTIN LATER!! >:D

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 08:21:18

Here I did this in about 15 mins

-Andy

Creature Collab

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 08:40:51

Name: Common Mutati Virus (and Man)

The Mutati (M%u016B-t%u0101t-%u012B) Virus was first created in the Heath and Protection Lab in North Japan. Scientists were trying to create a gene to make humans quickly adapt to their enviroment due to an increasing number of viruses, but a miscalculation caused the birth of a new virus. The Mutati Virus quickly became airbone and infected most of North Japan. When infected, the host will lose control of his/her body and a unearthly creature will grow somewhere on his/her body and gain control. The worst part is that the host is awake throughout all the creature does. The Common Mutati Virus is dangerous but can only be spread within one fortnight of infection.

Creature Collab

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 09:30:52

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image =blister2mi4.png

ok theres the completed draft.

its the very base of my idea and i will probably do several copies.

if you want to bounce some ideas off me please feel free

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 09:32:03

Ill post an alien soldiertype creature, is that okay with you? Since you mentioned vector art, i dont see why i cant post this pic :P Character developed by me, vectorized by Wonchop. Say hello to Pizo xD Anyone whos been in my art thread lately may remember this.

Creature Collab

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 20:43:15

So far, I really like Skippt's blister creature, and ES's GURUKE. The bee creature from Spamurai looks great too. (I will be accepting any image type now, so it's perfectly acceptable to hand draw.)

I'm not a big fan of the Shining Reaper because it isn't so much a creature as a stereotypical devil. The picture wasn't very detailed either. Paper-Shadow, if you can make it more original and creature oriented (as opposed to possession/ghost/devil oriented) and improve on the picture, I'll consider it.

Rock-Dodo-God, you have a nice idea, but you need to make it a finished piece instead of just a sketch (though I'm assuming that was just a WIP picture.)

The Common Mutati Virus was all right, and I can use it, but I'd like to see something more original and creature-ish, as before. Viruses are a bit overused in modern mythology. I like how you spent a little more time on the picture, though it still could use a bit of work to make it clear what's going on.

Hammi, your art is beautiful, but I said humanoids were only acceptable if they didn't look human.

If you consider your creature a finished product, please send it to me by email (Kajenx@Comcast.net). If it's vector art, send it to me in the .fla format. Otherwise, send it to me full size as you created it, preferable with a transparent background.

For people just coming in, work large, please, if it isn't vector art. I'm not restricting it to just vectors anymore due to popular demand.

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 20:48:47

At 7/20/07 03:20 PM, ElementalSoldier wrote: GURUKE
I might make another creature

dude, before you go rushing off making another creature, spend some more time and effort cleaning up this one.

Get some shadows and muscle definition going, erase some lines.

show a little pride in it by working on it that bit harder

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-20 20:49:55

ElementalSoldier, I noticed your shadows are really light, I think if you push them out more, and make it almost black in some areas, it would really improve. I always do the same thing, where I make shadows really light, but when I force myself to really push them, the picture REALLY pops. All the shading looks to be in the right place.

Anyway, just a suggestion, I'll definitely accept it as it is now.

BBS Signature

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-21 07:51:43

night grabber

a race of devlish creatures that dwell in caves. they hhave a hive mind, and take pride in there ilabrynth abducting plans.

Creature Collab

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-21 08:08:37

It's not finished but do you think it's good?
I will send it as a .fla if it's finished!

Tane:
Tane (Taneius Lupus) is a mammal in the order Carnivora.
The Tane is an dangerous monster, founded by the Maori, named after T%u0101ne god of the forrest.

Creature Collab

Response to Creature Collab 2007-07-21 08:37:20

I would work a little on the arms and legs,and feet and hands,and make the outline a little thinner,just work on that and it will look real nice.

Thank you very much for the help!