00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Post-Redesign Notes

38,297 Views | 391 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:17:24

If you haven't already, please read my introduction to the NG redesign!

The new NG has been on-line for 16 hours so far and a lot has happened. We've already fixed numerous problems that lead to bad performance, but we're not out of the woods yet.

You are most likely noticing plenty of lag as the pages load, as well as images and other files simply not loading. This is not because the new NG is too bulky - it is the result of remaining server bugs. I can assure everyone the new layout is MUCH more lightweight in terms of download size and total images, so once everything is being served out properly, pages should load faster than ever.

We're making note of the issues. We'll be looking into the laggy post form, white screens for banned forum users, visited Portal link colors, AP page numbers and a ton of other little odds and ends.

A lot of great Flash submissions may have been overlooked as a result of the chaos this week. Now would be a good time to post about some of the submissions you've stumbled across this week, so they can have a second chance to get some exposure!

Also, now that everyone has had a chance to look around, tell us what your FAVORITE part of the redesign is. And as much as I hate to invite bad news, tell us what your LEAST FAVORITE part is, too... Unless you just LOVE IT ALL, which is fine by me. :)

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:18:31

I would say that my favorite part of the redesign is the user pages. It's like having a little website.

First post! javascript:MakeSmileySelection(15);

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:19:04

Awesome redesign once again Tom :) The text fields are still having trouble catching up with my typing, though :(

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:19:24

yes, I love it all!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:20:17

My favourite part has to be the staff page, as awesome as the redesign is it can't beat Akuma with a DS Lite.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:20:36

I love every thing about the redesign. :D My favorite is the new Flash portal and the new leave icons.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:20:50

smily's?
javascript:MakeSmileySelection(5);
Questioning

I make my home, be my gallows

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:20:54

Great redisgn, i love the fact that there's no more popups

but the audio portal, and in-page reviewing/voting is the best.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:21:04

I'm lovin' the userpage and bytesize. Their ain't nothin' I hate about the shineyness. I'm lovin' it all. NG is funner then two weassels in a whipin' pond.

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:21:26

It's great and my coment yesterday is now void.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:21:34

TANK_SM.GIF

Post-Redesign Notes

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:21:50

and I leveled up 3 levels (not a problem but still wierd)

I make my home, be my gallows

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:22:15

It's awesome for the most part, except my account was screwed up, and I'm stuck using this account.

And I can't believe that I'm here to stay/'Cause I never worked it out.../And I love you more than I can say/But I hate you every other way.

Night by Devin Townsend.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:22:55

I have problems watching movies and playing games now - there is this black rectangle flashing in the middle of the screen. Thats pretty annoying.

Otherwise, the new design is awesome :)

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:22:57

Glad to hear that about the server bugs. I've seen some images not load on and off but it's been pretty good for the most part.

I would say my favorite feature it the userpages. I love the idea of everyone being able to post on the frontpage. I hope you don't make it a requirement that is solely based on how many portal awards you have or something.

My least favorite part is probably the way you see Flash content. I was really hoping for the actual "watch" page to have it's own clean URL.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:22:59

I can't use speech marks

"like this"

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:24:08

Favorite: Customizable pages

it still acts pretty slow(especially when your writing forum posts), but as long as yall are working on it, it's fine

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:25:26

At 7/18/07 08:17 AM, TomFulp wrote: We're making note of the issues. We'll be looking into the laggy post form,

awesome, I hate having to write my message in the quick search on firefox and paste it into the message box because of the lag on the text

f

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:25:30

At 7/18/07 08:21 AM, Psycho-Simple wrote: It's great and my coment yesterday is now void.

Scartch that i can't seem to view my reviews.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:25:44

At 7/18/07 08:17 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also, now that everyone has had a chance to look around, tell us what your FAVORITE part of the redesign is.

Ok, well, my favourite part of the redesign is a really tough call, since there's so much new stuff to look at. I quite like the way you can view a flash or play a game in the same window, just layered over the top. I'd loke it if you could do a similar thing on the BBS with the people's profiles for statwhores like me.

And as much as I hate to invite bad news, tell us what your LEAST FAVORITE part is, too... Unless you just LOVE IT ALL, which is fine by me. :)

Least favourite part is that I can't see my reviews at the moment and there isn't a stat at the moment to show how many responses to the reviews you have.

Well that's my two pence on the matter. All that remains for me to say is LOLPHILLIES 10k LOSSES!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:25:45

It's all great tbh...

I absolutely adore the portal though; you seriously did an amazing job on that.

:')

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:26:20

My only problem was the lag really, and that isn't nearly as bad as last night.
I love the new levels, I hated being stuck on those fucking brass knucks.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:26:21

Favourite: Pretty much the entire design. I love it so much.

Least Favourite: Not liking the spamming of the news posts... but hopefully those will die down soon.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:26:29

Favorite part: The shinyness

Least favorite part: THE PING IS GONE!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:26:34

The user pages look really good.

I think the voting system is far better now that it is automatic and is done on the page of the submission.

Level icons!

I went up 7 levels, pretty chuffed!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:26:34

Yeah, cool how everything's getting sorted out Tom! Great redesign once again by the way.

My favourite part would have to be the new and improved user options, in particular the ability to set favourite audio artists and audio tracks. I just need to go and find my favourites now! I love the look of the Flash Portal, Audio Portal too and I think the downloads section could get very interesting...I'm not sure if it's new, I just never noticed it before... :$

On the bad side, my AV/AS software has a few issues with some of the new features I think, specifically uploading pictures and watching Flash outside the classic pop up option. But hey, that's not your fault.

Once again, nice going Tom!

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:26:59

My favourite part is probably the way that you can choose to have a flash pop up in a new window or within the page you're on. I also love that the BBS now has a spell checker.

Least favourite part is definitely the fact that we've lost animated sigs. I knew it was coming but I'm stil not convinced it was the right way to go.

Regardless though, overall you all did a great job. Hats off to you.

"Some kilometers SOUTH of Dublin, under more control of

the IRA, there is a vast farmland. I'm SUPER cereal"

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:27:07

At 7/18/07 08:21 AM, PaperBagMask wrote: TANK_SM.GIF

I agree, I'm glad for everything this site's been through as of the redesign, but tank_sm was a God.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:27:45

I love the redesign. My favourite thing about the redesign would have to be the uer pages. Also, what are the User Page Layouts? The button is greyed out.

Also, the typing can't catch up to me aswell.

Response to Post-Redesign Notes 2007-07-18 08:28:55

It's great overall, I noticed some problems and the ones that I notice yesterday that have been fixed, also loading much faster today. I like the way the userpage is customisable and the pink aura, but everything else is cool too ;)