00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

The Sponsor Review Thread

53,951 Views | 343 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-23 17:25:15

Hey.

Everybody who has ever tried getting a game(or maybe an animation) sponsored knows of the problems there can be to find a sponsor you can trust, and since I am one of them I came up with the idea of this thread. You can often find information about the sponsor if you look for it, but you wont find too much on the ones that are good which might make you doubt them. Here we will hopefully get both good and bad opinions on sponsors.

The idea is simply this, if you had a flash sponsored you can tell us here of your experience with that sponsor. I have been thinking of a grading system(if you have any suggestions on how to improve it please say), it's pretty much the same principle as reviewing a flash here on NG:

-Give us the name of the sponsor and a overall rating of him on a scale from one to five 'plusses'(+)
-Tell us the story of how things worked out with the sponsor(doesn't have to be long, just give us the important details)
-Also give him a rating, on the same scale as the overall one, on: Seriousness(simply how serious he seems), Money(how was his offers, you don't have to tell us the exact amount), Efficiency(could you reach him easily, did you have to wait long for replies etc.), Social(well, we all rather speak to a nice and understanding person than a demanding one)
-Please motivate your opinions

I will start with reviewing my first sponsor, Maxgames.com:

Maxgames.com +++

The game sponsored was PacMan Platform 2.
I contacted a few sponsors, one of them was Jason at flashportal. He was interested in sponsoring my game and thanks to help from the people here at the flash forum I got a offer I was very pleased with. He didn't want to sponsor me through flashportal though, but from a new site he was making. He wasn't finished with the site at that time though, and if I took his offer I would have to wait for about two weeks before I could submit my game anywhere. My game had quite a lot copyrighted stuff in it, so I couldn't find any other sponsor willing to sponsor me and I had to go with maxgames.
I had a hard time giving Maxgames a overall rating, but the fact that he wanted his logos pretty much all over the game makes him end up with a 3 instead of 4.

Seriousness ++++
Jason seemed very professional and I got to sign a distribution agreement, which made me feel very secure.

Money ++++
He gave me a good offer, if the game would not have contained any copyrighted stuff I would probably have been able to pressure him with offers from other sponsors though.

Efficiency ++
I had to wait a long time between each reply, often about a day but sometimes even more. To his defense I should add that it was around the holidays. I had to wait for some time after the deal was sealed too, but since the site is up now I wont consider that.

Social +++
He was pretty strict, but that might have to do with his 'professional' image.
-------

I hope that people will help on giving opinions so that flash artists have a place to go when they are uncertain about a sponsor. I and Crushy are currently speaking to Hallpass.com about a sponsorship, and we are very near closure (pretty much just the payment left) and when I know how that worked out I will make a review on them. If this thread survives I will make updates every now and then on the overall of the overall scores( XD ) for the sponsors, and in the future we might end up with a neat list on the sponsors on the web :)

Ps. Remember that you can give reviews for sponsors that didn't end up sponsoring you, as long as you have enough info about them to have a opinion.

(Hope I didn't screw up this post too much, I have been writing for about an hour so I don't have the energy to really think it all through :P)

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-23 18:17:13

At 6/23/07 05:36 PM, VictoryGin wrote: Nice idea Dreamworx, as I have a game in progress and am considering a sponsor when it's done.

But this wont do any good if people doesn't help, anybody?

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-23 21:23:07

Well, this didn't really turn out the way I hoped it would XD

I or Crushy will make a review for Hallpass tomorrow, we got the money and the game was submitted earlier. It didn't get as high rating as we had hoped for though, in case you want to help with that here's the link: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/385094

Of course you can vote it down to, but I wont encourage that here ;)

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-23 22:03:24

At 6/23/07 09:23 PM, DreamworX wrote: Well, this didn't really turn out the way I hoped it would XD

I or Crushy will make a review for Hallpass tomorrow, we got the money and the game was submitted earlier. It didn't get as high rating as we had hoped for though, in case you want to help with that here's the link: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/385094

So about Hallpass, how can I contact them? They sponsored your flash? I want to see if they can sponsor the one hashbrown and I made. So how do I do it, under contact what would the subject be, what kind of things should I mention and stuff? I've never done it before. I'll wait untill you rate them to jump into contacting them but answering these questions soon would be appreciated:)

Check out my newest News Post!

Anyone need an artist or coder for a game? Drop me a PM!

BBS Signature

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 07:49:02

HallPass.com ++++ and 1/2

Hallpass, in my opinion are very good. I found that the owner put alot of effort into getting games out there. Even though he was traveling alot whenever he was on the computer he would update me on things, and I would return with this.

Seriousness +++
A nice balance, was professional, yet comfortable to talk to at the same time.

Money +++++
Very good. $1350 is self explanetory. Me and DreamworX accepted his great offer of 'if we accept on the day, he would offer 20 percent more than the previous offer (850 euros)'.
Fair and negotiatable.

Efficiency ++++
As I said, he put effort into helping us devs, with money, glitches and distribution. There were no signitures needed either!

Social ++
Could be hard to understand, and some of his emails were quite simple and could have had all the info in one. Good, but not great.

Overall, Hallpass is amoung the best of the sponsors today, they are safe and I would recommend them to thenew and experianced developer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 08:01:28

I'd like to see some reviews for the more popular sponsors (ArmorGames, CrazyMonkeyGames, etc...) See how they go against these other sponsors :P

bump

BBS Signature

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 08:22:20

At 6/24/07 08:01 AM, Wurmy1029 wrote: I'd like to see some reviews for the more popular sponsors (ArmorGames, CrazyMonkeyGames, etc...) See how they go against these other sponsors :P

Yeah, there must be tons of people who has been sponsored by them.. Hopefully someone will get around to write about them here.

Thanks for writing the review crushy :)

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 08:24:43

There was a thread like this not so long ago by MoosIsLoose - Link. Interesting thread still though, it is good to see what people think.

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 08:38:34

At 6/24/07 08:24 AM, Mogly wrote: There was a thread like this not so long ago by MoosIsLoose - Link. Interesting thread still though, it is good to see what people think.

I see, thanks for the link. Hopefully this thread can represent a more general opinion then.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 08:58:21

At 6/24/07 08:44 AM, VictoryGin wrote: Has your money come through yet?

Both me and crushy have received our money :)

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 10:34:12

At 6/24/07 10:30 AM, VictoryGin wrote: Ah, sounds good. Is the game on Newgrounds?

I posted about it here earlier, here it is: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/385094. Didn't go quite as well as we had hoped though :/

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 10:36:34

Lmao, Hallpass must have been gutted.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 11:25:05

At 6/24/07 11:15 AM, VictoryGin wrote: The HallPass preloader was crap, did he give you any option to change it at any point?

Hallpass didn't require a preloader, only a intro with their logo. Crushy made the intro we used for this game, all we got was that logo so it wasn't really easy to make something good out of it I guess.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 11:33:47

Sorry if I sound newbish, but what is the point of sponsering?
I mean they support you, but the only thing they get is some reclame and some sponserred games sucks so the reclame isnt good either??

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 11:39:32

At 6/24/07 11:33 AM, Fora wrote: Sorry if I sound newbish, but what is the point of sponsering?
I mean they support you, but the only thing they get is some reclame and some sponserred games sucks so the reclame isnt good either??

That's why most sponsors want as good games as possible. Sometimes they make a bad decision when sponsoring a game that doesn't go as well as they had hoped, and that's it.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 11:40:25

At 6/24/07 11:39 AM, DreamworX wrote:
At 6/24/07 11:33 AM, Fora wrote:
That's why most sponsors want as good games as possible. Sometimes they make a bad decision when sponsoring a game that doesn't go as well as they had hoped, and that's it.

Ok, thanks

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 11:49:50

I don't have much time to review everyone, but here are sites I have had good experience with, based on payments, rights, etc:

Armor Games: One of the largest, meaning one of the highest paying. The longer you stay with Armor Games, usually the higher you get paid. The owner is a nice guy. You retain the rights to your file.

CrazymonkeyGames: Also a larger company, crazymonkeygames has a reputation of paying on time, well, and retaining the rights to your file.

Kongregate: A newer company starting in November, Kongregate offers newer and veteran developers a place to create work. They are pretty reasonable, and really accessible. They pay relatively well, and let you keep your rights. They are one of the best advocates of Flash user's rights.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 15:44:09

Thanks for the input jmtb :) I still don't want to give up on this thread, there must be tons of people here who has gotten sponsored? Even if the sponsor already has been mentioned you can still give your opinion.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 15:53:03

At 6/24/07 03:44 PM, DreamworX wrote: Thanks for the input jmtb :) I still don't want to give up on this thread, there must be tons of people here who has gotten sponsored? Even if the sponsor already has been mentioned you can still give your opinion.

Patient :)

I can say something about how social Armorgames is.

You can talk with them like friends and stuff, sometimes that is good to work with but sometimes it doesnt seems like they are really sirious.
Overall is Armorgames good to talk with and not to harsh or to soft with sponsering

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 16:23:13

At 6/24/07 04:03 PM, BritishMoose wrote: Easily accessable but not the best paying sponsor.

FlashRage

I've known Ryan from flashrage for a while and i have to say that he's one of the most helpful, understanding and truthful people i've ever worked with. I normally get quick replies, and if i've had to delay a project for a reason, then he'll understand and just forget about it.

Anyway, if you are looking for a 100% man, he is it, not the best prices, but one of the most reliable.

FlashPortal

I'm still awaiting a response from 3 weeks ago :(.

BBS Signature

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 18:46:15

At 6/24/07 11:33 AM, Fora wrote: Sorry if I sound newbish, but what is the point of sponsering?

Money.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 19:01:11

Legitgames.com +++++

Legitgames were absolutely fantastic! Unlike other sites e-mails were replied almost instantly, they helped out with ideas and things for my game without trying to completely remake it like some sponsors.

Seriousness ++++
Was very professional, but also kinda fun to talk too, like they kinda understood exactly where I was coming from with everything

Money ++++
Beat all other offers, everytime they got outbid they would bid higher and I got what I had hoped for, although no bonuses for things like frontpage, good scores and such, the base pay for the sponsorship was terrific!

Efficiency +++++
Helped with everything, made everything as simple as it could get and everything went smoothly, could not have been better!

Social +++++
Was very understanding of all my ideas and things I wanted while also helping me out, was easy to understand at all times and even added me on AIM so we could talk!

Legitgames was absolutely BRILLIANT in my opinino, good pay, helpful, friendly, fast, everything you need in a sponsor!

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 19:57:31

http://www.swash-games.com/ -

Swash games was a horrible experience in which I didn't even get paid the low amount of money I worked for. I made a game, submitted it, and after that point swash games would not contact me back. No need to describe anything, the betrayal of trust was enough get this site a negative score.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 20:04:46

At 6/24/07 07:57 PM, Skeik-Sprite wrote: http://www.swash-games.com/ -

Swash games was a horrible experience in which I didn't even get paid the low amount of money I worked for. I made a game, submitted it, and after that point swash games would not contact me back. No need to describe anything, the betrayal of trust was enough get this site a negative score.

Wow, pretty harsh, lol. I'll be sure to try to stay away from them I guess. What game did you submit there? A negative score isn't very good...

I haven't been sponsored yet but when that magical moment comes when a sponsor says yes, I'll post my experience:)

For Flashrage, how do I contact them? I didn't see a contact page or anything. Just wondering...

BBS Signature

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 20:05:57

At 6/24/07 07:57 PM, Skeik-Sprite wrote: http://www.swash-games.com/ -

So you sent him a game, he used it and didn't get paid? Couldn't you sue?

I'm a designer and writer in Chicago. I've been published seven times for random junk. My first attempt at comedy can be found here: The Up To No Goods Web Series.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 20:07:48

*bookmarks*
this will be a very helpful thread. XD

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 21:09:34

At 6/24/07 08:05 PM, adreniline7 wrote: So you sent him a game, he used it and didn't get paid? Couldn't you sue?

Maybe, if I hadn't of stupidly deleted the email that sealed the deal of him paying me.

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 22:24:56

At 6/24/07 09:19 PM, ultim8dude wrote: ok, there have been alot of reviews here, but I was wondering if someone who has been sponsored many times could make a "guide to sponsorship" thing, where you give some steps which may help when it comes to earning more money, etc.

Thanks ALOT if anyone makes this.

Well, if you wanna earn more money, you have to be good at negotiating and you can pressure them by saying that a lot of other sponsors are willing to pay more :P. Anyway, thanks a lot for this thread, it's been really helpful, I had never heard of HallPass before and will probably send them an email when we have something to show!

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 22:47:22

At 6/24/07 10:41 PM, ToasterDemon wrote: Usually with sponship for me, I get it sponsored and right after get an offer for 750-1000 right after I got sponsored for a lot less, but anyways, Ill just do dumpgames.com since nobodies done them yet:
Dumpgames.com
-Great for smaller games, payed RIGHT away, and the owners a cool guy :P
One of the lesser known ones, but suggested for smaller games.

How do I contact Dumpgames about sponsorship? Contact->the subject would be sponsorship or something? I've never been there before but I've heard of the site.

BBS Signature

Response to The Sponsor Review Thread 2007-06-24 23:10:05

For those sponsors who aren't trusted, couldn't you set-up a text file on a website and when a certain variable is true, the game is playable, and otherwise it's not, and test to see if they are actually worth it?

These new signatures can suck on mah balls. My lolis don't fit in. Lol wut what are you guys still doing on NG, move on.

BBS Signature