00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bugurrii just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Teh Pixels Thread!

37,517 Views | 491 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-10 12:20:10

Oo nice to see theres fellow pixel artists here (im new, hi). I might post some stuff I make for my current project here as I make em.
I got a pixel art gallery there:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/4628.htm?pg=1&sec =icons
Two of the latest pieces are for that said project (the "Battleship" and the "twingunz" sprites.)

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-10 12:32:47

Interesting. I may just post something here sometime down the road. Hope you don't mind me being a shading freak, seeing how I do alot of that with my work.

DeviantART | Youtube

Check em out

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-10 12:40:40

im a newb to sprite art but i managed to make this

Teh Pixels Thread!

Go, minitanks, conquer the world. MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-10 15:30:58

I'm not an expert or anything but heres my first try. I used a tutorial on the internet to help me
do the cube an sphere but the rest I made with no help. Good for a first try??

PS. the sphere was really hard! Oh yeah, and don't call me a noob please this is my first go.

Teh Pixels Thread!

PIXEL ART 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sonic-halo-cod-

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-10 16:55:29

At 7/10/07 03:30 PM, zepher360 wrote: I'm not an expert or anything but heres my first try. I used a tutorial on the internet to help me

PS. the sphere was really hard! Oh yeah, and don't call me a noob please this is my first go.

That's probably good to sharpen up on stuff, now go try adding stuff to the room.

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-11 02:27:44

At 7/10/07 12:02 PM, Splurda wrote:
At 7/10/07 03:55 AM, Meinator34 wrote: shiggity shigitty shwagg
the dimensions are all wrong, and thats a very sloppy picture

and who the hell are you? an art teacher? jeez, i was just trying to figure out how to insert gradients into stuff. ass..

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-11 06:58:36

At 7/10/07 12:20 PM, FrankieSmileShow wrote: Oo nice to see theres fellow pixel artists here (im new, hi). I might post some stuff I make for my current project here as I make em.
I got a pixel art gallery there:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/4628.htm?pg=1&sec =icons
Two of the latest pieces are for that said project (the "Battleship" and the "twingunz" sprites.)

I think your "Foolish dragon! Smoking kills" is lush, especially since you've animated it well.

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-11 15:11:54

At 7/7/07 03:48 AM, fuzz wrote:
At 7/6/07 04:09 PM, jacktherack wrote:
At 6/25/07 06:42 AM, fuzz wrote: Coded by vengeance
lmao, i seriously hope it does better than "just" pass through the portal when its finished

yeah i recomend you make it so it can't go into the white stuff.

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-07-15 11:09:26

At 7/10/07 03:30 PM, zepher360 wrote: I'm not an expert or anything but heres my first try. I used a tutorial on the internet to help me

The shading on the sphere is totally awesome.
Post a link to the tutorial? It will be interesting to see.
But very, very nice.

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-03 14:05:49

why not <:)

Teh Pixels Thread!

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-04 09:55:54

Awesome work in this thread, guys (I just read through all of it)!

I'm a pixel-pusher as well, though I rarely dabble in isometric. Here's a little sample of some of the stuff I've done over the years. As you might be able to tell, I'm a DBZ fan. The characters in the top left section are the oldest in this bunch (from somewhere around 8 or 9 years ago), and hopefully you can see some improvement when comparing them to the much more recent Gokus in the bottom right. The area with many, many little variations of the same characters (again, DBZ characters, Goku and Gohan) are NPC graphics used in a fangame of mine (more on that later). Also included are some other random pieces.

Teh Pixels Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-04 10:02:17

I hope multiple-posting isn't frowned upon too heavily if there's actual content, but I have more pictures to share.

As I mentioned, I'm a hobbyist game creator. Theprogram I use to make games i one that uses 32x32 tiles. This post (and more to follow) contain screenshots of my games. First up, is Murder Mansion, a top-down murder-mystery game.

Teh Pixels Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-04 10:03:21

Next up, is my DBZ fangame, called "DBTC".

Teh Pixels Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-04 10:04:36

Thirdly is "SkyWurm". It's a vertical scrolling shooter.

Teh Pixels Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-04 10:07:26

At 8/4/07 09:55 AM, SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:

hmmm, this thread died a while ago, bit of a bump, but you have a few nice pictures there. good job

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-04 10:33:21

Actually, it was crazerfish50 that bumped it (he was directed to it by a reply in his own pixel art thread).

I'm always amazed (though I'm enough of a veteran to know this effect well) of how Time works on the internet. The last reply to this thread before the bump was just over two weeks ago, yet it's already considered "dead". It's like when someone posts a link to a YouTube video from a few weeks ago, and everyone's saying "ooooolllllddddd!" lol It's like Narnia or something when you're online (you know, ages pass inside when only mere moments pass in the "real world").

But regardless, thanks for the comment! And my apologies for this little off-topic philosophical rambling.

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-06 00:10:17

hey guys... im new here and I suck at pixel art but I tried to make P-Bot... tell me ur opinions

Teh Pixels Thread!

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-06 10:19:15

i know... what i did was the crappiest thing EVER

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-06 10:24:46

At 8/6/07 10:23 AM, PrinceFlea wrote: Wow the majority of these pixel works are almost near flawess.What software can be used to do such a things like that of pixely and some what old school goodness flavor?

MS paint, photoshop are the main ones, i dont use photoshop. Ms paints always fun.

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-06 10:35:26

I'm a DBZ fan.

Dr.Slump > DBZ

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-06 12:04:28

At 8/6/07 10:23 AM, PrinceFlea wrote: Wow the majority of these pixel works are almost near flawess.What software can be used to do such a things like that of pixely and some what old school goodness flavor?

well i just use paint... i think it's funnier in paint than photoshop... but that's just my opinion

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-06 15:44:51

I stole this from habbo! me

Teh Pixels Thread!

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-07 07:38:36

Pixel art can be done in any program that allows pixel-by-pixel drawing. MSPaint is probably the simplest and most direct, but higher-order editors can be used as well.

The thing to remember with trying to do pixel art inside of something like Photoshop (or Paint Shop Pro, or any of the others of this type) is that you need to turn off all of the fancy automated effects, especially anti-aliasing. That's the one thing that will kill pixel art.

To use Photoshop, you generally just need a single pixel brush/pen/pencil/whatever, with opacity and hardness settings to full 100%. Then, just go to town! (generally zoomed in to the level where you can see your work pixel-by-pixel)

Avoid vector work (this means that Flash is generally no good for this). Try to remain strictly raster.

Purists will also avoid using any of the pre-built shape drawing tools and any of the other gadgets, but if you have to use them (often, it's just a waste of time to try to pixel a perfect circle when the program will do it for you, even though most of these tools create vector elements), always make sure to refer to the rule above: turn off anti-aliasing, and make sure all hardness and opacity settings are cranked to full.

Along this line, another thing to remember is that it is best to work at the single-pixel level. If you do wish to work larger, and shrink it down later, remember to ensure that the resizing settings you select do not cause blurring of the final outcome. You want direct pixel resizing (most resizing in high-order editors automatically applies anti-aliasing effects... you don't want that) Another thing to keep in mind with this method is that you need to stick to a strict grid of squares, no matter what size you're working in. At the 1-to-1 pixel level, this is simple; there's no way to do anything but work within the grid of pixels. But if you're working at 200%, with a 2x2 tool, you need to make sure that you're placing each mark within a grid of 2x2 squares, and not half and half.

You want your drawing to remain looking like it was pixeled, not like it was done using brushes and filters...

Now, this is not to say that a good piece of pixel artwork can't be shaded to near-photographic quality, with smoothed, hand-anti-aliased lines and so forth, but the further you get along this route, the further it grows from looking like pixel art. This point is a matter of personal taste, though. Some pixelers strive for the highest-resolution, near-photo quality they can get, while many others prefer (almost religiously) to remain "primitive", to protect the "purity" of the art form.

Part of the "spirit" of pixel art is that it remains looking pixeled. Otherwise, why not just draw the image using all of the fancy effects and brushes?

But yeah, as long as you can set your program up to draw pixel-by-pixel, it's just as good as any other for making pixel art.

The final thing to remember is that JPG is no good for pixel art. The artifacting caused by JPG's lossy compression will blur and ruin pixel art (this effect is not as noticeable in normal images, but it simply wrecks pixel art). PNG and GIF are the best ways to go (BMP works, too, if you like overly huge filesizes : ) ). I prefer PNG, but unfortunately, the NG forums do not (yet?) accept the format, so GIF it has to be.

Note that I'm no expert in the field, so only take the above as some friendly advice from someone with some experience with this, and not as some sort of Pixel Artist Commandments, or something...lol

Anyways, here's another piece (this one from another game, one emulating the well-known puzzle game where you have to slide cars around to make a path for the target car to exit the lot. this game is not my own, but I did the artwork for the developer):

Teh Pixels Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-07 18:24:42

well i think im getting good at this...
my new work... DARNELL!!! ^^... lol
opinions plz...

Teh Pixels Thread!

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-08 21:36:23

here are some guns i made i didnt use too many different colors so someone can easily recolor them.

Teh Pixels Thread!

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-08 21:44:38

At 8/8/07 09:36 PM, Cmeister wrote: here are some guns i made i didnt use too many different colors so someone can easily recolor them.

kool... awsome job

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-16 12:51:41

awwww
this place looks dead like 2 weeks with nothing

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-17 20:48:07

Cut out of an idea for a zombie game based off the ZOMBIES!!! tile game.
WIP

Teh Pixels Thread!

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-25 17:48:56

Basic Animation test.

Teh Pixels Thread!

Response to Teh Pixels Thread! 2007-08-25 19:35:16

At 8/25/07 05:48 PM, Direbotanical wrote: Basic Animation test.

And Again.

Teh Pixels Thread!