00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

underdog of the week

1,263 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

underdog of the week 2007-06-06 03:56:35

can i ask what it means? what the awrds for.
is it negative or positive? :P
i have a submission (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/381640 ) which is a daily feature as well as underdog of the weeks.

thanks

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-06 04:05:03

At 6/6/07 03:56 AM, munchmed wrote: can i ask what it means? what the awrds for.
i have a submission (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/381640 ) which is a daily feature as well as underdog of the weeks.

thanks

It isn't a positive or a negative really. Underdog of the week goes to the flash that has the largest differnce between Vote Score (0.00/5.00 thing) and Review score (0.00/10.00 Thing)

So if your vote score is like 1.39 and your Review score is 9.94 you would probablly get underdog of the week because the difference is so large.

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-06 09:05:46

X-Anthrax43 is kinda right ... but in your case it's pretty odd as you got a high score on both. Usually underdog of the week is a bad award though ... but you shouldn't have got this one, it's a kind of bug actually. If I was you I'd keep it as it's really weird, but if it annoys you to have that "negative" award, you might PM Wade about it and I'm pretty sure he'll remove it for you. Congrats for the daily first award by the way

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-12 00:15:47

At 6/6/07 03:56 AM, munchmed wrote: can i ask what it means? what the awrds for.

thanks

Granted, it's days later so the scores may have changed, but right now your entry has this score:
Score 3.78/5.00 (Explanation)

And this review average:
Avg 9.05/10.00

That is an awesome review average, and a pretty good score. But I think that while your score was high enough to win the daily feature for 6/3... by the end of the NG week on 6/6... your score had lowered a bit, while your review scores kept being high. And keep in mind that a vote score of 3.78 equates to a review score of only 7.56...

So your 9,05 review average >>>> 7.56 vote score (adjusted) = underdog of the week.

That's a good award to have if you EARN it the right way. As opposed to cheating to get it, as many have done in the past. So wear it with pride, IMO.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-12 03:46:58

Well, that flash does have a high score and won underdog but it's not the first time that has happend, some of the flash with low scores don't usually reach 30 reviews unless crews mass review them. Had the current Review Crew Pick not have gotten 30 reviews, a diffrent flash would be there and the Underdog would still probably be the current flash just because it had the larger diffrence between score and review average.

I wouldn't say it was a bad thing, somtimes it's nice to watch and other times not so nice because people have cheated for it.

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-12 09:27:42

Hum, I guess I should just shut up when I don't know what I'm talking about. I really thought it usually happened around a much larger gap between both. Anyway, thanks for the sharing.

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-12 09:37:45

I think that Underdog of the Week is a positive award, like any other awards (except Turd of the Week, of course :P) It shows that even though you haven't gained the popularity of some artists that force their scores through the roof, and that maybe you aren't perfect at Flash yet, you still have what it takes to create a good movie, that people who will care (reviewers) will enjoy. Congrats!!!

Don't eat yellow snow, Pepsi and coke are the same thing, etc. Visit my webpage! (go on)

Can I eat your brain? pleeeaaase?

You now have a duty in life!!! Clean up Newgrounds!!

BBS Signature

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-12 10:25:23

At 6/12/07 09:27 AM, Myst wrote: Hum, I guess I should just shut up when I don't know what I'm talking about. I really thought it usually happened around a much larger gap between both. Anyway, thanks for the sharing.

Your good man. I didn't know myself. But hey, congrats on your awards nonetheless. :)

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-16 22:59:06

At 6/12/07 09:27 AM, Myst wrote: Hum, I guess I should just shut up when I don't know what I'm talking about. I really thought it usually happened around a much larger gap between both. Anyway, thanks for the sharing.

It probably does usually involve a greater gap, man. But every week is different and every week has a buncha new flashes with new scores, eh? There's bound to be a record "low gap" between the flash vote and the review score on the week's Underdog winner... just as there's bound to be a record "high gap," as well. I wonder how big the high gap record is...

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to underdog of the week 2007-06-17 01:40:29

At 6/16/07 10:59 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
It probably does usually involve a greater gap, man. But every week is different and every week has a buncha new flashes with new scores, eh? There's bound to be a record "low gap" between the flash vote and the review score on the week's Underdog winner... just as there's bound to be a record "high gap," as well. I wonder how big the high gap record is...

With cheaters it's probably been like 7.50. (with the flash score doubled, of course)

Response to underdog of the week 2018-10-04 16:19:05

As it turns out i won it because people who voted and didn't comment took my obviously joke game seriously when people who wrote reviews got the joke.
Like i swear it literally said joke in the title of the game i give up.

Response to underdog of the week 2019-05-29 05:59:47

Does this award even exist anymore, now that review scores and popular vote merged?

Response to underdog of the week 2019-05-29 11:04:43

At 5/29/19 05:59 AM, Rallyx wrote: Does this award even exist anymore, now that review scores and popular vote merged?

It does still exist since people don't have to review when they vote and you can always see the winner under the portal section.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal