00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Call To Arms (bbs Story)

38,487 Views | 533 Replies

The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-20 18:30:41

Some characters are based off of users on the BBS. If you would like to be included, and I feel that I can give you a place in the story, then drop me a pm.

Of course feedback and criticism are welcome, so feel free to compliment the writing/rape my self esteem.

And also be warned that this chapter might be a bit boring but it's also necessary to setting up the main story, so hang with me on that.

The Call to Arms (A BBS Story)
Chapter 1

The rain was coming down hard that night, and you could hear the loud boom of thunder every so often. In the darkened room, lit only by the computer screen, I sat in my swivel chair, browsing around the internet. Tonight was just like every other night; I had checked the email, Facebook, ESPN, fantasy baseball, and finally I arrived at Newgrounds to deposit my experience for the day.

As I mindlessly voted 5’s on a few entries in the portal, I glanced over to the clock.

“Damn” I thought to myself, “It’s already 1 in the morning.”

As I reached for the mouse so I could click on the big X button in the corner, my eyes glanced up and saw the forum button. I knew I should have just forgotten about it and gone to bed, but regardless of what my logic told me, I still clicked onto the general forum. It didn’t take long for me to notice that the topics on this night were not interesting.

“Damn, none of this shit is good. ‘My Brother’s Girlfriend’, ‘Ninjas vs. Samurais’, its all crap tonight. Well geez no wonder; none of the good users are on right now.”

With nothing better to do than go to bed, a big need to yawn overcame me, and I stretched my arms up high, but just as I was reaching down for the mouse, out of seemingly nowhere, a tremendous boom filled the air around me. It was so loud that at first I thought there had been an explosion, and the shock from it had caused me jump out of my chair onto the ground. All I remember hearing right after the noise was a big crash.

I stayed on the ground for a few seconds before I even thought about getting up. Finally when it seemed that any danger had passed, I got up and looked outside. A lightning bolt had hit one of the power lines on the street outside my house, causing it to fall down and strewing the wires all over the street.

“That must have been the crash I heard after the lightning hit.”

“Jeff? Are you alright?” I heard my mom yelling from downstairs.

“I’m fine mom!” I replied

“Well come down here and help me light some candles, the powers gone out!”

“Ok!” I yelled. “Just a sec!”

I put on a hoody, and just as I was heading for the door I noticed something strange. It started smelling like something had been burning in my room, and I also noticed that my computer was still on, even though the power was out in the house. Normally it wouldn’t be a big deal to me since I usually use my laptop with the reserve battery, but this was a desktop with no such feature. I went closer to the computer, where the smell was especially evident, and started looking around the wires to see if something was out of the ordinary. I did find something, as I saw that many of the wires had been fried out of their circuits, probably from the lightning blast.

“Damn! Now I’m gonna have to go spend all my birthday money on computer wires!” I mumbled angrily. “But wait. If all these cables are destroyed, then how is my monitor still on and connected to the net? Bah, whatever. I better just disconnect these cables.”

As I grabbed the monitor to get behind the computer to the wires, a part of my forearm touched the screen. But as I tried sliding it up to reach farther with my other hand, I realized that I couldn’t move it.

“What the fuck!”

As I tried pulling, I noticed that with each tug, the surface of the monitor actually rippled like water. I continued to pull and tug, while still keeping the monitor on the desk, but nothing seemed to be working. In fact it seemed the harder I tried to pull, the more of my arm was getting stuck to the screen. I finally gave a huge pull that knocked me off balance, sending me and the monitor to the floor. It only took me a second to realize that my hand was not only stuck on the screen…it was now in the screen!

“WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs

“Jeff!?! Are you alright!?” I heard from downstairs.

But I had no time to answer as, I felt a strong tugging sensation on the arm inside the monitor, and the next thing I knew, my body was being pulled very forcibly into the monitor. Soon my arm was being pulled in, and as I wriggled and struggled, and in all the chaos, I noticed that the substance from the screen seemed to be expanding to allow my entire body to enter. I also noticed for the first time that the substance was very cold and had numbed my hand, as it continued to envelop my arm up to the shoulder. It only took another second before that was inside the substance, and I tried with all my remaining strength to get out its grip as my head got closer to the threshold, but to no avail. In another second my face was forced through the substance, and for a second everything was black.

I awoke what seemed like a second later, only to find myself lying in a bed, in a semi-lit room. There were tubes stuck into my arms, and a heart monitor next to the bed beeped slowly as I realized that I was in some sort of hospital. As I tried to sit up, I felt a pain in my side, and was forced to lie back down.

“You shouldn’t exert yourself like that. You need to lie still for a bit more” said a voice from the doorway.

I looked over and saw a young looking female doctor with medium brown hair and glasses, about in her mid 20’s. She was wearing a lab coat with what looked like medals pinned to them. One of them looked like an iron fist, while the other could be described as a gold star with a crown on the top, and a blue area in the middle. She casually walked into the room, as I tried to get my head straight.

“Wh-where am I?” I asked weakly.

“Why you’re in the BBS hospital, and you’ve been here for about a week now.”

My mind did a double take at the two things I had just heard.

“Wait I’ve been here for a week?! And what do you mean BBS hospital?”

She gave me an amused look

“All will be explained in due time. For now all you need to know is that you’ve been here a week, and this is the BBS hospital in Fulpton, the capital of the world of Newgrounds.”

“SAY WHAT!!?” I exclaimed. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE WORLD OF NEWGROUNDS!!?

“Calm down boy!” she said, placing a calming hand on my shoulder. “You need to save your energy. I already told you everything will be explained soon, but for now you have to get some rest. I heard that was some fall you took, and you're fortunate to have only sustained a few bruises and cuts. It's lucky that you landed in a tree and not in the middle of the street.”

With that said, she turned and started walking out the door

“Wait! What’s your name?” I asked.

“Well around here they call me TheDoctor.” she replied with a wink. And then she was gone.

My mind was racing, but it seemed that my injuries had fatigued me, as I suddenly felt the urge to go back to sleep. “TheDoctor huh?” I said as my mind drifted off to sleep. “Where have I heard that name before?”

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-20 18:34:55

Chapter 2
Part 1 of 2

I awoke to hear birds chirping outside my window. I looked around and realized that I was still in the hospital. As I sat in bed wondering where exactly I was, and if everything TheDoctor had told me was true about this being the Newgrounds world, my eyes wandered over and spotted a remote control to a TV elevated above my bed.

“Well, not much else I can do.” I said, reaching for the remote.

I turned on the TV, and started flipping through the channels. Everything seemed to be normal until, I reached a channel that immediately garnered my interest.

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the BigBadRon hour! Today we have special guest Will Stamper! And here’s your host BIGBADRON!”

My mouth hung open as I watched someone who indeed appeared to be BBR, walk out onto the set. The camera did a close up, and there was no doubt that it was him. He was frowning with a look of disgust on his face as he turned to address the audience.

“ALRIGHT, SHUT UP YOU FAGGOTS!”

The applause from the crowd instantly died down.

“Ok that’s better.” He said tensely. “Today we’re going to start off with the BBR Noob Challenge. That’s where we pick a random noob from the crowd, and if he or she is able to go one minute without annoying me, then they win a prize, but if they aren’t able to complete the one minute…well you all know what happens.” He said this with an evil smirk on his face.
“Todays noob is sitting in Row 14 Seat 7.”

The camera instantly panned to a young, excited looking boy, who jumped out of his seat and bounded down the steps to the stage. When he got there, he looked up in awe at BBR.

“Are you ready for the challenge?” BBR asked.

“Yes sir!” the kid exclaimed in a high pitched voice.

“Ok well to start off, what is you name?” asked BBR

“My name is ‘I<3Naruto65653097!”

BBR suddenly had a smirk on his face as he reached down with his right hand and pushed a red button on his chair. All of a sudden, the kid dropped out of sight of the camera, and the image was replaced with flames shooting up into the air. As this happened, the kids screaming filled the speakers. The camera panned out to show a trap door that the kid had fallen through. As the kid continued his dying screams, BBR laughed heartily.

“HAHAHAHA, well anyone with a name as faggoty as that deserves to die.”

The audience started laughing uproariously. I couldn’t watch anymore, and I reached to the remote to turn it off. Now I knew that I was in some kind of alternate world. My mind started reeling at the thought that I had somehow crossed into another world, but at the same time I didn’t know how. Then a weird thought came to me.

“Well, when I got sucked into my computer, I was on the NG BBS. What if the reason I ended up here, was because of that. But why would some portal to another world just open up, and in my bedroom no less!?”

I didn’t have time to complete the thought as the door to my room suddenly opened. TheDoctor entered, followed by two men. One of the men had messy medium brown hair, and wore a Newgrounds shirt, and khaki shorts. The other man was slightly taller, had short brown hair, and was wearing a pair of aviators that matched with his goatee. I instantly recognized them.

“Tom and Wade?” I asked.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-20 18:37:53

Chapter 2
Part 2 of 2

“Well whaddya know Tom, this one knows our names too.”

“Hmmm, I figured he would, especially since the others knew our names as well. Ok kid, what’s your name?”

“Um…my name’s Jeff.”

“No kid” interrupted Wade, “Your Newgrounds name!”

“Oh, um…36Holla”

“Ok then.” Said Wade as he started writing on a clipboard

As I watched him write, I looked at Tom and finally blurted out what I was thinking.

“Where am I? How did I get here?”

The two brothers looked at me, as if they were prepared to answer those very questions.

“Well there’s no easy way to put this, but you’re in the internet.” Tom said

“WHAT!?” I exclaimed. “HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?”

Hey kid, calm down!” Wade said sternly. “You have to listen if you’re gonna get any answers.”

Tom started again, “Anyways, like I said you are in the internet, specifically, you’re in a secret research hospital in the Newgrounds world.

“What do you mean the Newgrounds world?” I asked

“Well, currently there are billions of worlds all created through the internet. Each realm gets bigger, as the number of people who use the realm increases. Newgrounds itself is right now made up of over one million people, so our realm is fairly big.”

“So wait.” I interrupted, “you know about the world outside the internet and all the people out there?”

“We just recently found out.” said Tom. “From what we know it seems that if you are active on the site in your world, then you become more noticeable and active in our realm. Most people just go to the flash or audio districts and never leave. But there are certain people who pass through all of the different sections of our world, and are well balanced in their knowledge of how Newgrounds works. You are one of these people, and that’s precisely why we summoned you.”

“WAIT WHAT!?” I yelled, “YOU SUMMONED ME?!

“Tom I’m about to smack this kid.” said Wade.

“Hold up Wade.” said Tom. “Yes we are the reason that you are here. We have found a way to open up portals to your world, and summon people to ours. Basically it’s a waiting game to see how often a person will go to the site in your world. When they’re on, we seize the opportunity and open the gateway to get you to come into our world.”

“Then send me back!” I said, “I want to go back home!”

Toms face showed some strain, “We can’t do that…we haven’t found a way to send people back to their exact world. And we can’t just have you walk back through one of the portals, because it’s possible that you won’t end up in your world. You could end up in a whole new dangerous dimension with no way of getting back. And besides we need you here”

“What? Why do you need me here?”

“We need you because we need more people for the war.”

“War!? What war?!” I asked.

“I assume you know of the various flash crews, such as the Star Syndicate, and the Kitty Krew.”

“Yea, I’ve heard about them. They’re a bunch of teenagers who spam the flash portal.”

“Yes, well apparently a large number of those crews have all united their realms to make one that rivals ours, and their first goal is to destroy our world.”
“Huh? Why would they want to destroy this world?”

“Because they’re pissed off at us for kicking them out of here.” Wade suddenly said. “The members of those groups all used to live in this realm, but they didn’t like how we handled our world, so they started attacking the flash district. We were able to suppress them, and ban them from coming here again though. But now it appears they’ve come back and they have a lot more people with them.”

“And so,” Tom started saying, “we have summoned you for two reasons; 1: to give us the edge in winning the war with more man-power. And 2: To have you as a back up in case your copy dies in the war.”

“Wait,” I said, “what do you mean by ‘my copy’?”

“You have a clone here.” Said Tom. “He looks exactly like you, and he’s currently an Elite Guard Staff Sergeant in our army. We made a point to not only get well rounded members of Newgrounds, but also ones who were part of the Elite Guard and other higher ranking members of the army.”

“Excuse me Tom, but I think you need to find someone else. I have no war experience, and I’m pretty sure that in that type of situation, I’d be among the first to die and-”

“Well that’s another aspect of our worlds.” Interrupted Tom. “We’ve found that the people we transfer here from your world acquire special skills and abilities based on how powerful their account is in your world. So once we get you started on training, any knowledge learned lower than your current rank should come back to you instantly. In reality, you’re a highly trained killing machine…you just don’t remember yet.”

As I looked at Tom and Wade searching for something to say, Wade spoke up

“Listen kid, you’re basically stuck here, so you’re gonna have to get used to this situation real quick.”

Tom nodded his head, “Yes, we’re sorry that we have to put you through this, but please get more rest and sleep on it. Im sure after that, you’ll feel a lot better, and besides you’re gonna need your rest before we set you up for army training.”

With that said, Tom and Wade got up, and left the room. My mind was racing with all the new information I had. I stayed up for hours thinking about everything, until finally my body became exhausted, and I fell asleep again. My last thought before I drifted off was:

“What the hell have I gotten myself into?”

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-20 18:42:11

Damn, that is a long story... might take a while for me to read

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-20 18:58:41

Neat :D

Am I one of the few who actually "read" the story? lol... =/

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-21 02:45:52

At 5/20/07 07:01 PM, alilwisedude wrote: ummmmmmmmmmm yes.

My my, you contributed so much to this project.

More chapters to come soon.

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-22 22:41:45

WTF chapters?

I'm gonna go back to my room and be awesome.

Desert Punk of the NG /A/|My VA Demo Reel|Audio Portal|

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-22 22:45:02

Make a book next time so it's better to read. (or comic)

Nothing here anymore.

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-22 22:52:31

well, congratulations, you've started writing a story (pretty damn good so far) based on one of my fantasies. well, not fantasies so much, but you know what i mean.

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-22 22:55:43

Looks fun I'll be waiting for more.

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-22 22:57:07

This is looking good. :)

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}

A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-22 22:59:53

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-22 23:14:57

At 5/22/07 10:59 PM, SuperSmoothSmiley wrote: This reminds me of my shity sequel story.

Oh yeah that one was fun with the ebaums and betral and axes...

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-23 04:27:24

Now this was actually quite good. Readable due to formatting and although a used theme before to some extent (Portal War / Getting into the BBS - Dobio etc) I enjoyed the crisp text and so forth.

If you need a psycho-Chinagirl just holla ;-)

The Newgrounds O-Ren-Ishii but with a nicer smile and still alive

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-24 23:59:28

Chapter 3: Escape

Just as soon as I had fallen asleep, I was awoken by the sound of blaring alarms.

Just as I was shaking off the grogginess, I heard a voice yelling on a PA system.

“The crews have sent squads to raid the hospital! This is not a drill, I repeat, this is not a drill! The crews are raiding! Lock up all entries to the patient wards and set up barricades to the
test areas!”

“What the? The crews are here?”

Suddenly the door to my room slammed open, and TheDoctor carrying two handguns ran in.

“We gotta go!” She yelled. “Here take this!” she said quickly as she handed me the gun.

I took the gun and handled it warily, “But, I’ve never used one of these before, what am I supposed to do with it?!”

She gave me an annoyed look, “You point and shoot, easy enough isn’t it? Now come on, we need to get you to the evacuation area. Lets just hope they haven’t cut the route off.”

She grabbed my arm, and led me out the door into a long corridor. Looking around I noticed about 10 other kids, most of them younger than me looking just as confused as I was and carefully handling a handgun like me. Walking among the kids were about 5 other people who looked like hospital staff, all carrying sub machine guns.

TheDoctor, started addressing everyone, “Ok, all patients follow me! We’re taking you all to the evacuation area! I’m not going to lie, there is a lot of them, and there is a chance that we will run into some of them. If that happens I want you to stay behind the staff, and let us handle it! The guns we gave you are only to be used if there are no other options to defend yourselves.”

A young boy spoke up, “How do we know what the crew members look like?”

“Oh, you’ll know what they look like if you see them” She replied with a grim look. “Now lets go!”

She led us to the far end of the hallway, to the stairwell, and led everyone down. I was among the last to get in, and just as I did, I looked back through the window in the door, and saw what looked like two yellow cats, carrying automatic rifles coming out of the elevator. It did not appear that they had seen us as they had started running in the opposite direction, but that had been too close for comfort. With a new resolve, I gripped my gun tightly, and started pounding down the stairwell with everyone else.

We were going at a quick pace, but TheDoctor made us stop at every floor to make sure that no crew members were outside the doors, watching the stairwell. We did this about 10 times, making me realize that we must’ve been on one of the top floors. Too bad I had never looked out my window, to see exactly how high up we had been.

Just when I thought everything was going to turn out fine, I heard the sound of a door being kicked open above us, and a voice rang out in the stairwell.

“They might’ve gone in the stairwell. You two go up, and you two go down. If you can’t find them, at least see if you can find any signs that they were here. Go now!”

TheDoctor held up her fingers to her lips to signal that everyone should remain silent, and then she motioned us to start running down the stairwell. We all started sprinting down, wordlessly. Apparently this got the attention of the two men coming down.

“Hey I hear footsteps! That must be them! Come on, we have to catch up with them!”

We were now running for our lives, with the two crew members an unknown number of floors above us, chasing us down. Two of the staff members had dropped to the back of the line to cover us with their guns in case the crew members caught up with us.

After running down a few more flights, I noticed that there were no more doors at each floor landing. It seemed we were heading underground, but I didn’t have to think much about it as we finally reached the bottom. TheDoctor quickly swiped a card through a card reader, and opened the door that was there. She started rushing us through, and just as I ran through, I heard screaming behind me. As I looked back I saw two KK crew members looking down at the staff members in the stairwell.

“There they ar-!”

The crew member didn’t have time to finish his sentence, as his body was riddled with bullets from the staff members’ gun. The other staff member repeated the action by shooting the other crew member before he could do anything besides watch his buddy die.

“That’ll get their attention.” Said TheDoctor, as she locked the door behind us with another swipe of her card. “It’s only a matter of time before they come down here, and blow open the door. We need to move!”

As, I looked forward, I saw that we were in a large hanger. There were a multitude of vehicles, most of them looking like they would be better fit at a military base. We were ushered into what looked like a military transport truck. As we did, we heard banging on the door.

“Hurry! They’re going to be setting charges to blow open that door!” yelled TheDoctor.

We all jumped into back of the truck and took a seat. Just as one of the staff members closed the tailgate, an explosion burst through the door, effectively destroying it. My first instinct was to duck down, and it was a good thing I did, as pieces of shrapnel flew into the back of the truck. One of the other boys closest to the tailgate wasn’t so lucky, as he screamed out in pain.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah! My arm!” he screamed as he fell onto the floor of the truck, his hand covering the wounds.

I didn’t have much time to concentrate my attention at him though as the sound of gunshots filled the air. Everyone in the truck instinctively hit the ground, to avoid the gunfire. The staff member who closed the tailgate wasn’t so lucky as his dying groans could be heard just outside the truck.

The truck itself finally started moving. Whoever was driving had no intention of slowing down anytime soon, as the truck kept picking up speed to avoid the gunfire. From my position, I could see that we were driving through some kind of tunnel. We all stayed on the ground, listening to the sound of the crying of the boy with shrapnel in his arm, and gunfire in the background. After a few seconds, I felt the truck make a wide turn, and the gunfire stopped. Suddenly a voice on the PA system was heard.

“This hospital has been considered to be expendable, and bombers are on their way to destroy it.” Please evacuate with whatever means you have available to you. We estimate you have ten minutes to get as far away as possible. Repeat, you have ten minutes to get out of the building!”

A sense of panic overcame me at first, but I didn’t have to worry, as the truck emerged into daylight just a few seconds after the message ended. I sat up fully, to see that we were in some kind of forest, and that the tunnel that we came out of was covered in camouflage to keep it hidden. The truck went down a winding road for awhile, and all of us sat there in silence, except for the occasional groan from the injured boy, until finally we heard a large explosion somewhere in the distance. The hospital had been destroyed, but as we kept going down the road I started wondering where exactly we were going.

As I sat there, my body started aching again. The adrenaline must have masked my own injuries as we escaped. I was beginning to feel very tired, as my side started pulsating with soreness. Trying to ignore the noise of the truck, I closed my eyes, and again drifted off to sleep.

------------------------------------------

To those who PM'd me, you will be appearing soon, I promise.

At 5/23/07 04:27 AM, Sarai wrote: If you need a psycho-Chinagirl just holla ;-)

I think I could pencil you in for some kind of role.

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-25 15:49:19

awesome.
awesome awesome awesome.
aweso-wait, i think you get the idea.
this is probably the best story i've read online so far.
keep up the good work!

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-25 16:13:20

Looking forward to being in it. Good story so far.

Better Days | "If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them." | The Hookah Lounge | Merry Christmas Cocksmokers! |

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-25 16:28:40

Cool story, I request to be in it.

As if you haven't already put me in though, right?

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-25 16:33:22

Nice story.
Lol, my eyes hurt now (not blinking and all that).

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-26 19:47:02

I think I just had a fungasm.

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-26 20:13:59

I think you are a hero to the BBS.

rjhreilly@hotmail.com

STEAM: _frizzyskernip_

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-27 00:37:31

Well, the captial of Newgrounds is the Clock Crew, not Fulpton silly.

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-27 07:03:47

Was bored so I decided to forgo sleep and get the next chapter out earlier than planned :D

Chapter 4, Part 1 of 2
Forming the Unit

I opened my eyes to the sound of screaming and yelling in the background.

“Come on you fags, a cripple could run faster than you!”
“Gamerking! You call that a pushup you sorry sack of shit!? You will not leave for dinner until you do 50 pushups the right way!”

I noticed that I was the only one in the truck. Wondering where the others had gone, and where I was, I slowly walked up to the tailgate and took a look around.

The first thing I noticed was the vast group of tents that looked like they could hold up to 10 people in them. Then looking to the right, I saw a flag with the Newgrounds logo on it. By the looks of it, I was in some kind of military base. I gingerly got out of the truck, being careful to not move my body too much. Just as I had gotten off, a young asian woman wearing a yellow uniform, and carrying a whip in her belt appeared from the side of the truck. She noticed me and walked right up to me.

“Well well, you’re finally awake. We thought we’d just let you sleep in a little.” She said with a wry grin.

I looked at her with a bit of confusion. “Um..hi. What exactly is this place?”

“You are in the official Newgrounds training camp. This is where all members of the army are trained before they are deployed to the field.”

“Oh, so this is what Tom meant when he talked about getting army training.”

She suddenly had an interested look on her face. “You talked to Tom? You wouldn’t happen to be one of the kids who came from the other world would you?”

“Well..yeah, I was taken from my world and I was summoned here. Tom explained it all to me in the hospital.”

“Well if you are then you should be heading over to that tent over that.” She pointed to a tent that was bigger than most of the others in the distance. “That’s where you get your basic equipment, your training regimen, all that good stuff.”

“Oh well thanks for letting me know. By the way, what’s your name?”

“My name is Sarai. Don’t know if you’ve heard of me in your world, although the higher ups say that most of army leaders are fairly well known in your world. Oh did I mention that I’m one of the training instructors? Maybe you’ll be assigned to me.”

“Yeah I’ve heard of you, you used to be a BBS mod.”

She gave me a puzzled look. “I don’t know what a BBS mod is. The only thing I ‘used’ to be was one of the generals in the army, but I went into semi-retirement and became an army instructor here. Gotta teach the next generation how to fight effectively you know. Anyways, you should probably head on over to the tent. Don’t want to be late on your first day.”

“Ok thanks.” I said as I started heading towards the tent. There was something that she had just said that I couldn’t get out of my mind. She talked about how she used to be a general in the army until she semi-retired…just like the Sarai in my world used to be a BBS mod until she stepped down. I was realizing how connected our two worlds were, and how actions in one world could affect the actions in the other world. I didn’t know if my actions affected my copys actions in this world or if it was vice-versa. For that matter, where was my copy, and how would I react if I ever met him? My mind was getting overwhelmed just thinking about it.

I reached the tent and walked in. Inside was a man with short black hair and glasses sitting behind a table with what appeared to be a list of names. I walked up to the table, and as soon as he noticed me, he quickly responded.

“Name?”

“Jeff…I mean, 36Holla”

His eyes scanned the list until he seemed to find my name.

“Ah yes, you’re one of the new arrivals. Heard you had some crazy escape from the military hospital. But no worries, you’re safe here. The crews wouldn’t dare come within miles of this base. I just need you to sign this form, and then you’ll be issued your equipment.”

He slid a piece of paper across the desk, and I bent down to read it.

‘I hereby acknowledge to be apart of the Newgrounds Army/Special Forces and swear to protect the Newgrounds world and all of its inhabitants to the best of my abilities.’

X________________________

Not seeing any other choice, I quickly jotted my name on the bottom of the document.

With that, the man took the paper, and then went into a backroom. He emerged a minute later with a uniform that looked like the one Sarai had been wearing, black boots, a helmet and some gloves. Along with it, I saw another pair of jeans, a white shirt and a black vest, but I didn’t know what they were for. The man seemed to read my confused expression and quickly explained.

“In addition to the normal uniform, we also provided you with some clothes that are similar to the style of clothes you wore in your world. Consider it a gift from the higher ups. You can wear those clothes when you’re on leave. Now you should report to the barracks and rest up. You have a big day tomorrow relearning all your training. Lets see, you should go to tent 4B, which is the 4th tent in the B row. You’ll find it, its not hard.”

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-27 07:08:20

Chapter 4, Part 2 of 2
Forming the Unit

With that said, I took the clothes and walked out of the tent. I wandered around the tents until finally I found a sign signifying the barrack tents. Remembering that I was in 4B, I made my way to that section, and finally found the tent. Walking in, I found six other boys all playing cards. As I walked in, they all took notice of me and stopped what they were doing. One of the boys, who was wearing glasses, and had brown hair and eyes, got up and walked up to me.

“You must be 36Holla.”

“Um, yeah. How did you know?”

“Because you’re the last one in our squad to show up. Funny that the leader gets to show up last.”

“Leader? You’re talking about me?”

“Yeah, take a look here.” As he said this, the boy handed me a sheet of paper.

Tent 4B Squad

Squad Leader: 36Holla
Machine Gunner 1: Forced DJ
Machine Gunner 2: Joodah
Sniper: Crue
Vehicle Mechanic: Labor
Scout/Intel: Tactical Shoe
Weapon Specialist: Reaperyami (Swords)

I scanned the paper with quite a few thoughts going through my head. “Leader? Why would they choose me for that?”

The boy interrupted my thoughts, as he started talking to me.

“Anyways, Im Tactical Shoe, nice to finally meet ya 36Holla. Ive seen a few of your posts on the BBS.”

I suddenly remembered that we had all come from the real world.

“Hey wait, did you guys all get transported here through your computers?”

There was a general murmur of them answering yes to the question.

“We all escaped from that hospital remember.” Said Tactical Shoe. “We just didn’t know anyone at the time.”

“So wait Tactical Sho-“

“Just call me Shoe.” He interrupted. “It’ll take you forever to talk to me if you say my whole name.”

“Right and you can just call me Holla or 36.” I responded.

“Well anyways Holla, there was also an envelope that was addressed to you. Its on that desk over there.”

I walked to the desk he was talking about, and opened the envelope that was laying there. Inside there was a note.

‘36Holla, you have been chosen to be a squad leader in the newly formed Otherworld Unit. This decision is because of your high rank in the military, and your above average knowledge of the world of Newgrounds. Tomorrow you will begin special training sessions designed for squad captains only, to teach you how to effectively lead your squad in battle. Please meet in the training tent in the Northeast corner of the base at 8am. Punctuality is essential.’

Signed: Dobio, 6th general in the Newgrounds Army

So that explained, why I was a squad captain. After reading the letter everyone generally introduced themselves, and we all started talking about how we had felt about being taken to a whole new world. How it was exciting but at the same time very frightening. Would we ever see our homes and families again? What if we died in this upcoming war?

One by one, we all eventually went to bed. But for the longest time, I stayed awake thinking about everything. Staring up at the ceiling long enough caused my eyes to start drooping. Finally, I was once again asleep.

---------------------------------------------
----

Time to go to bed, im dead tired X_X

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-27 07:10:59

That's actually a great story, we need more of those.

There is a war going on in you're mind. People and ideas all competing for you're thoughts. And if you're thinking, you're winning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-28 20:49:02

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic.
2nd MG ^_^

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-05-28 23:20:07

I'm on the edge of my seat reading this. Can't wait for more.

Me at: FA | Telegram

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-06-01 00:28:45

Chapter 5: Reacquiring The Skills
Part 1 of 2

I awoke to the sound of a very interesting noise.

“COCK JOKE COCK JOKE COCK JOKE COCK JOKE!”

I couldn’t help but crack a smile as I heard what must have been the wake up call for everyone on the base. At least this place has a sense of humor.

Excited to start out the day, I jumped out of bed and changed into my uniform. Looking at the clock, I saw that it was 7:45, and the letter had said to be at the tent at 8. Stepping out of the tent, I saw hundreds of other kids walking around, going to wherever they needed to be. Not knowing how far I the northeast corner of the base was, I headed, in a hurried pace, in the general direction of where I was supposed to go. Going northeast, I noticed a large tent in the corner with two men wearing black uniforms standing outside of it. As I walked up, one of the men addressed me.

“Name?”

“36Holla”

The man looked down at a list he had.

“Ok, go on in.” the man said with a gruff tone.

I walked in and saw a meeting room with about 50 chairs all facing a podium at the back of the room. It looked like the type of room someone would have a press conference in. Several people were already sitting in the chairs. None of them were talking, as they all looked in my direction as I walked up to one of the chairs. Sitting down, I looked around looking at the various other people who were squad captains. It was then that I noticed someone who looked very familiar. He was medium height with brown eyes and hair but still there was something that told me that I had seen him before. Then it dawned on me. I got up and slowly walked up to him. As I got near him he looked directly at me, and I knew exactly who it was.

“Steve?”

“Yeah that’s my name, but how did you know that?”

“You’re SardonicSamurai right?”

“Yeah that’s me. Do I know you?”

“Yeah, Im 36Holla, you know from Paltalk?”

“Holy shit!” Sardonic exclaimed. “I was wondering if you had been summoned here! Dude, I’m the squad leader for everyone from the Paltalk room. Its me, Ryan, MAP, Sean, Dry-Ice, ZombieSquirrel, and PaintItBlack (or Valz).”

“What!? You all got taken here too? I didn’t realize how many people they involved in this! And why wasn’t I put into your group? I go on Paltalk just as much as anyone else.”

“Well you’re obviously a squad leader.” Sardonic said. “There would be no point in putting you in our squad if they felt you could lead others.”

At that moment, I heard a voice from behind me.

“Well I’ll be damned. You two are squad captains too eh’?”

I turned around to see a young black man, no older than me or Sardonic, wearing a black doorag, and only sporting one good eye.

“Damn, Mast3rMind is that you?”

“Yea, its me all right.” He said in a laid back tone. “I guess being taken here is what I get for trying to deposit my experience instead of just going to bed. I’m probably gonna get fired from my job the second they realize that I didn’t show up too.” He said with a smile on his face.

“Well, we’re all stuck here anyways and there’s not much we can do about it.” I replied. “Believe me man, if there was some chance that I could go back home, I would take it in a second, but apparently there isn’t one right now.”

At this point, quite a few more people had come into the room since we started talking, and a few of them were looking at us, considering that we were the only ones who were talking. Me, M3M and Sardonic didn’t have much else to say as a young man walked into the room wearing a red uniform with many medals attached to the chest area. One of the biggest ones had a giant letter M in the middle of it. Walking up the podium, he took a look at us, seemingly to size us up. He had short hair, bushy eyebrows, and a bit of a menacing look in his eyes.

Since nobody was talking, the man went ahead and started addressing us.

“Welcome to your first day at boot camp. You have all been assigned to be squad captains for our army. I am General Dobio, and I will be the one who tells you what to do. First off, let me say that we will not tolerate anyone taking this whole thing as a joke. You’re all captains and as such, you are all expected to display a higher level of maturity than the soldiers you will lead. If you do not feel the need to listen to what I have to say, then we’ll make sure you spend some quality time in the Penicorn pens and let me tell you, the last person who we threw in there had to go to the hospital for internal bleeding. Do I make myself clear?”

There was a general consensus of head nodding, but this didn’t satisfy the General.

“Now when I ask you if you understood what I said, I expect you to say YES SIR! Now, do I make myself clear?”

“YES SIR!” boomed the response.

“Good, now we’re going to call you up so you can receive your captain badges. First up is 36Holla.”

I wasn’t surprised that I was called first. My name did start with a number after all. I walked up to the podium, and was handed a badge that was in the shape of a star with the letter C in the middle of it. I walked back and pinned it to my uniform. As I returned to my seat, I was now curious to see which users had been made captains besides myself, M3M and Sardonic. It turned out that quite a few long time users had been called up. Among the names called were HeartbreakHoldout, Fyndir, Williwowza, and SlipperyMooseCakes.

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-06-01 00:30:26

Chapter 5: Reacquiring the Skills
Part 2 of 2

After all the badges were given out, Dobio motioned for us to follow him out of the tent and he led us to a large field that had various contraptions skewed around it. It looked like your stereotypical obstacle course complete with tires for running through, barbed wire for crawling under, and a climbable wall.

“This is where you’ll be training for the next few days.” Dobio announced. “Now to start off lets go for a short jog.” He said with a seemingly evil smile on his face.

The light jog turned out to be a three mile romp around the field, and considering that I wasn’t in the best shape, I found myself slowly but surely falling behind the others. By the time we were finished my body felt dead. I was hunched over gasping for air. That was only the warm up though as we were then instructed to do a vigorous regimen of exercises consisting of jumping jacks, squats, pushups and sit-ups. Again my out of shape body was not taking this well. Sardonic and M3M didn’t seem to be having any problems though as they completed each set of exercise long before me.

Finally finished with the exercises, my body was very exhausted, but we were finally able to rest for a bit before Dobio announced the next part of the training.

“We’re going to head to the shooting range now. Most of you will probably pick up the skills needed to effectively handle a firearm fairly quickly since your copys skills are transferred to you. Follow me.”

We all filed in a line and walked behind Dobio as he led us to the other side of the camp. As we walked I wondered what type of guns they were going to let us shoot. I soon found my answer as we reached the range. We were all given an M16 rifle. As soon as I held the gun in my hands, something strange happened. Holding the gun suddenly felt familiar, and I suddenly realized that I knew almost everything there was to know about this gun including how to clean it, how to disassemble and reassemble it, and probably most importantly, how to effectively aim it while shooting.

I wasn’t the only one who was having this feeling as everyone else had the same look of bewilderment on their faces that I had. Dobio seemed to notice it as well.

“You should all be regaining the knowledge of how to handle these guns. Now all that’s left to do is to test your ability on shooting.”

We all split up into separate booths and we each got our own target to shoot at. After putting the goggles and earmuffs on, I aimed the gun at the target. This position felt very familiar for some reason, despite the fact that I had never fired or handled a gun back in my world. Breathing in I concentrated and squeezed the trigger as I exhaled. The gun spurt out three bullets, all of which went right through the bullseye of the target.

“Hey, good shot!” I heard Dobio exclaim behind me.

The rest of the day we fine tuned our skills with shooting. I didn’t even notice the time go by when I was shooting and before I knew it, it was already almost evening. As we all packed up, Dobio made a final announcement.

“Well I have to say that you all did a half way decent job today. We meet tomorrow at the same time in the exercise field. Oh and as a gift, I had the cafeteria clerks bring your food to your tents, so you wont have to drag your asses from the caf to your tents. Now go and get some rest.”

I said my goodbyes to Sardonic and M3M and headed back to my tent. Finally getting back, I found a plate of food lying on the desk next to my bed with a note next to it. I unfolded the note only to find that it was from Dobio.

‘You did the best in shooting training today. Because of that, you and your squad get off tomorrow and you have permission to go on leave for the day to go see Fulpton.’

‘Signed: Dobio, 6th General of the Newgrounds Army’

With excitement running through me, I told my squad the news, and it was received well. Apparently they all had had a rough day, and they were just as enthusiastic to get a day off as I was. I ate my food and we all talked about what Fulpton would be like. Finally it was time once again to get to bed. The good thing about it this time though was that my body was exhausted causing me to fall asleep almost as soon as I hit the mattress.

I need to find a better way to end my chapters besides having myself go to sleep :[

BBS Signature

Response to The Call To Arms (bbs Story) 2007-06-01 00:40:10

fantastic!
another wonderful chapter, full of (semi)famous people!
keep up the good work.