00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of February we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 194 people to reach our goal of 3,100 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in March!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Try my game demo

2,964 Views | 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Try my game demo 2007-05-06 22:58:59

Hello, I'm making a game, and I thought I would put out the demo of what I have so far to get some comments and suggestions about what would be cool/ what I should add or fix.

It works like this: An animation will begin on the screen. Special button prompts will apear at the top of the screen, and you have a split second to push that button shown before it dissappears. Do this and you move on to the next challenge. Fail, and it's instant death.

Here's the link:

http://denvish.net/ulf/070507/83437_GAME.php

Also, note that all animation is in rough forms, most death sequences are bloodless so far, and it will take you to the "GAME OVER" screen no matter what after you jump the gap at the bottom of the slope, because that's the end of the demo.A background will also be added later.

Comments are welcome! :D

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:13:25

Well, unless you plan on having a very select number of keys used, it just sort of turns into a memory test, forcing you to restart after every death. The idea is good, the animation looks cool, but I don't really see the fun in just having to start over again and again until you've memorized the whole thing...

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:15:45

Try to make it these keys:

asdfghjkl,spacebar

not random ones...it doesnt have to be these but like make it resnable...

overall expcept that ...its pretty good 3.4/5

Fate. Strength. Intelligence.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:16:36

So your saying... a longer time to react? Make it a little easier?

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:17:23

wow yuo do not have enough time if you don't know the key.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:22:32

I love these sorts of games!
Add colour, and it's be great :D

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:25:04

Thanks man, Ive been wanting to do something like this since I played God of War. :D

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:33:42

yeah, make the keys random or something. also add difficulty levels...cause i type at almost 130, and i could do this sleeping,...but my brother on the other hand, just memorizes the level, and the fun is GONE.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:41:03

Yea, you need to make it a tad bit slower.
Animation needs a little bit of a touch up.
But the flips and crap were awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-06 23:45:29

Agreed. watching the guy was a lot of the fun.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 00:54:36

I's pretty good so far, but as has already been said, make a certain number of keys usable, and more reaction time. And add some colour.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 03:40:09

At 5/6/07 11:16 PM, TheMillz wrote: So your saying... a longer time to react?

yeah, I say leave it on random keys but a little more time to react and press it, so not bad, all of it has a great quality. so far :) goodwork 3.90/5.00

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 03:43:54

Nice game, your onto something ^^ 4/5

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 13:18:43

I given it alot of thought, and came up with this:

How about before you come to a gap to jump, the screen gets a kind of adrenaline effect over it and the animation goes into breif slo-motion, and the button you are prompted to press fades in, at this point being un-useable.

Then when it's completly in, a glow forms around it, and stays there for the split second you have to push the button. In theory, it sounds like it would give the player more of a heads up as to what is coming next.

As for the random button, this was my idea, but I don't have the actionscript know-how to pull that off. It's really an interactive movie then a beat-for-beat game. I've decided with the speed and ease of making it, it will be the first in a series that will tell a story.

Which leads to my next question of opinion:

Should I keep the extravagent acrobatic display? Or go for a more realistic approach?IE: excessive blood over how much would probly pour out in real life.

Also, thanks to everyone so far for all the posative critasism/ideas.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 14:40:17

I can throw together the rest of the AS you need for the random key to be pressed if you want to make it random, Glad to see my codeing skills have finally gone to use :)
nice job, keep working and polish it up.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 14:44:05

You should tell us which keys are used in the game first lol

and sorry if you do i didn't read everything xD

Oh yeaaa

BBS Signature

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 16:31:06

At 5/7/07 02:40 PM, Matt-Porter wrote: I can throw together the rest of the AS you need for the random key to be pressed if you want to make it random, Glad to see my codeing skills have finally gone to use :)
nice job, keep working and polish it up.

That would be greatly appretieted. I need it to be random and to also have the symble apear at the top of the screen so the player knows which one to push obviously. Can you do that with Actionscript?

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 16:43:35

yes you can, and I started working on it before you said so :P
I wanted to see if I could do it, either way ill post a demo when I finish and you can tell me if its what you had in mind. It could be a couple hours, im listening to old "Now thats what i call music" that i downloaded hehe/ the girls coming over for a few hours soon, i'll try and finish it up before she gets here.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 16:46:51

I like it at the pace it is at, I just think you should limit it to a certain set of keys (or let the user choose from a list of keys). Also, I would make the keys more random, for example: After I die and I restart I get different keys throughout. Otherwise it isn't bad.

01000100011000010110111001100011011 01001011011100110011101010000011010 01011011100110010101100001011100000 11100000110110001100101010001110111 010101111001

BBS Signature

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 16:59:12

At 5/7/07 04:46 PM, salted-tator-tot wrote: I like it at the pace it is at, I just think you should limit it to a certain set of keys (or let the user choose from a list of keys). Also, I would make the keys more random, for example: After I die and I restart I get different keys throughout. Otherwise it isn't bad.

doing all of the above for em right now :P

hmmm choose your own keys... that might be possible, ill look into it after the main part is done.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 17:05:39

At 5/7/07 04:43 PM, Matt-Porter wrote: yes you can, and I started working on it before you said so :P
I wanted to see if I could do it, either way ill post a demo when I finish and you can tell me if its what you had in mind. It could be a couple hours, im listening to old "Now thats what i call music" that i downloaded hehe/ the girls coming over for a few hours soon, i'll try and finish it up before she gets here.

Sounds cool man. Besides the need for random keys, it apears the other main gripe is to limit the keys to a select few.That is why I've decided to narrow it down.

Please randomize the keys between these choices:

A,S,D, Up,Left,Right.

With 3 keys on opposite sides of the board, the spectrum of mistake is increased (which raises challenge level) but having only 6 keys will make it easy enough for players to pick up quickly. Also, it's gives a comfortable gap of space between the players hands, allowing for better control.

Also, how would you like to be credited?

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 17:10:40

Or if you can get the choose your own keys, that's kool too. A S D Up Right Left can be the default.

If you do the choose your own keys, the amount must be no more then 6 max.

An idea I just got is on easy mode, it will be random between 3 different keys, normal will be between 4, and hard will be 6.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 17:15:17

Sweet, ill use the keys you asked for. Havent really thought about how to be credited yet.
For now in the credits is fine such as AS done by Porter, but if you dont mind, and I get more into this project I wouldnt mind just going co-auther and really spicing this game up. It was your idea though and you started it so dont feel you need to team up and create the game together just because im providing some code. Like I said though if your willing AND I really get into the project I wouldnt mind just working 50-50 on this with you. I'll think about as im sure you will.

I like the A,S,D, Left,Up,Right idea.
Well, back to work :P

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 17:23:42

Sounds reasonable. Aside from keeping myself busy in my spare time, my ultimate goal in this game is to get a sponsorship and bring in some money for my family. We're not broke or anything like that, but I got out of the hospital recently for an exploaded appendex. I got a pretty cool scar from it, but we also got a bill that went on for a while, so every scrap counts.

Long story short, keep your ear to the ground for opperotunities, k?

Also, I will gladly co-author you. You've already earned it, seeing as how I could never figure out all those 1's and 0's...

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 17:39:03

Its good, but a few things I would suggest:

Add a background loop.
Add a sound for when you lose.
Add a sound for when you die.
Add a sound for when the guy is running.
Add some more color.
Make the reaction time a little longer.

Besides that its pretty good!

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 18:03:32

ok well we can negotiate money waaaay later, bottom line is im not in on it for money, if you make enough i think its only fair I get some IF we both go way into this. The main thing I would want out of this is a copy of the .FLA when its done just for portfolio purposes.

Im adding a little twist on the entire thing, you'll see what I mean when im done, if you dont like it I can EASILY change it to what you origonally asked for, my versions more complicated but adds a better feel IMO

I'll have it done before I go to sleep tonight for sure, maybe alot sooner, depends on what I end up doing tonight. btw im pacific time, its 3:05 pm

anywho, portal buddy me :)

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 18:12:13

Cool, can't wait to see what improvements you've made.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 19:00:55

everything you asked for ( i think) + real physics, woot!

Here is a link to a wonderful work in progress, graphics are placeholders as I am doing codeing only I didnt waste a second on graphics, as it shows :P

let me know what you think.

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 19:26:28

That works great, however I can't use the physics ( everything you see is animated on the screen frame-by-frame, not that of a set playable charecter ) but yea, I think I can use this. It's not going to display the 'true' false' parts right?

Response to Try my game demo 2007-05-07 19:30:20

not at all, that was there for me to fix some things while i was working on it, makes it alot easier. I also figured you did your FBF or animated, and we can still do that. preety much you animate the "course" so to speak, and make all the animations of the character(s), then put the gaps or obstacles where you want them to be, then i can go in and code everything to suit where we've placed things, ill make it so pressing jump makes the character do the jump animation, and all that good stuff.