00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sk8er-Gaius15 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Log Ideas

125,228 Views | 1,418 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-25 02:41:58

At 3/24/07 12:12 PM, UnknownFear wrote: Also works perfect for me. No errors or anything. Very nice work, Casualty.

Thanks for the support man =P

At 3/24/07 06:49 PM, LiquidSapphire wrote: I get this error when I try to open Portal Guard:

Link.

Hmmm... You can always try to download this file and put in in the Portal Guard folder (by default C:\Program Files\NG Portal Guard\). I don't know if it'll help, though...

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-25 17:13:28

Hey Casualty I saw this asked and you didn't answer so i'll ask again. Can you put a link to the NG Portal Front Page so I don't have to go to it my self. It would make it a lot easier if it isn't to much work for you.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-26 13:21:59

At 3/25/07 05:13 PM, head2toewinner wrote: hello

If you download the new version, you'll see that I did add that feature =)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-26 14:04:27

At 3/25/07 02:41 AM, Casualty wrote: Hmmm... You can always try to download this file and put in in the Portal Guard folder (by default C:\Program Files\NG Portal Guard\). I don't know if it'll help, though...

It didn't. Guess i'm not cool enough to be cheating :P

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-26 17:30:49

Does anybody else get this Message?

Need advice? Visit the RELATIONSHIP CREW!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-27 10:47:39

At 3/26/07 02:04 PM, Frostbreath wrote:
At 3/25/07 02:41 AM, Casualty wrote: Hmmm... You can always try to download this file and put in in the Portal Guard folder (by default C:\Program Files\NG Portal Guard\). I don't know if it'll help, though...
It didn't. Guess i'm not cool enough to be cheating :P

Stop calling it cheating, you idiots =P

I'm sorry it didn't work, but there's nothing I can do =(

At 3/26/07 05:30 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: Does anybody else get this Message?

Try starting again it a few times. If it still doesn't work... I guess you're doomed to live without it and to miss thousands of B/P points every day.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-27 19:07:11

At 3/27/07 10:47 AM, Casualty wrote:
At 3/26/07 05:30 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: Does anybody else get this Message?
Try starting again it a few times. If it still doesn't work... I guess you're doomed to live without it and to miss thousands of B/P points every day.

I guess I'm doomed.

Need advice? Visit the RELATIONSHIP CREW!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-29 12:20:55

Can please you add a function which will show all days with missed deposits, ie. when the previous day's log has the same amount of exp?

I know it sounds pointless but please? :-)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-29 13:12:40

At 3/25/07 05:13 PM, head2toewinner wrote: Hey Casualty I saw this asked and you didn't answer so i'll ask again. Can you put a link to the NG Portal Front Page so I don't have to go to it my self. It would make it a lot easier if it isn't to much work for you.

If youre talking about in portal guard, then making the little popups linked to the submission would be the bestest idea ever. Please Casualty.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-03 06:57:33

At 3/29/07 12:20 PM, juraj wrote: Can please you add a function which will show all days with missed deposits, ie. when the previous day's log has the same amount of exp?

I know it sounds pointless but please? :-)

It's a bit too pointless for the effort... Also, I'd have to expand it to every stat with max and min and stuff and I'll just see what I'm going to... Probably not though.

At 3/29/07 01:12 PM, Solidone wrote: If youre talking about in portal guard, then making the little popups linked to the submission would be the bestest idea ever. Please Casualty.

Hmm, probably in the next version. Which will be out together with the redesign. You'll have to wait until then =)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-03 07:06:03

At 4/3/07 06:57 AM, Casualty wrote:
At 3/29/07 01:12 PM, Solidone wrote: If youre talking about in portal guard, then making the little popups linked to the submission would be the bestest idea ever. Please Casualty.
Hmm, probably in the next version. Which will be out together with the redesign. You'll have to wait until then =)

okay then. Just out of plain curiosity, how come your planning on launching Portal guard V.2 with the redesign, any particular reason or you just thought it would be a cool idea?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-03 09:28:37

At 4/3/07 07:06 AM, Solidone wrote: okay then. Just out of plain curiosity, how come your planning on launching Portal guard V.2 with the redesign, any particular reason or you just thought it would be a cool idea?

The whole system will have changed. liljim will put up RSS feeds and I will pass the page trough NG Log. It's a pretty long explanation, but it will put less strain on NG...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-03 09:44:14

Would it be possible to teel you the date you would get a certain level when you use the "Estimate" feature the same way it tells you when you will get your next level. I think that would be a nice addition.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-03 09:59:59

At 4/3/07 09:44 AM, Imacow wrote: Would it be possible to teel you the date you would get a certain level when you use the "Estimate" feature the same way it tells you when you will get your next level. I think that would be a nice addition.

Good idea, I added it to every estimation type. Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-03 15:42:37

At 4/3/07 09:59 AM, Casualty wrote: Good idea, I added it to every estimation type. Thanks!

No, thank you for working so hard.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-05 13:35:33

Hey, now you can see how many flashes and audios you have! Nice add, Cas =)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-05 14:30:05

At 4/5/07 01:35 PM, Frostbreath wrote: Hey, now you can see how many flashes and audios you have! Nice add, Cas =)

No problem dude! I had been thinking about this for a while, and Bahamut gave the final push.

If you have any ideas about what I could do with those stats, tell me please =) (Rankings will probably be added tomorrow)...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-06 11:57:26

How about a stat that says when you were UOTD on the BBS here and on NG Log? because I really don't want to go through massive pages of names, looking for mine.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-07 07:42:48

At 4/6/07 11:57 AM, TheThing wrote: How about a stat that says when you were UOTD on the BBS here and on NG Log? because I really don't want to go through massive pages of names, looking for mine.

Finding your name is easy! Just go to the page of past uotd's, press ctrl+f, and type your username. Takes one minute, tops.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-14 07:32:22

I just found another glitch in the site.

After logging my stats for the first time in a while today, I got the message "You entered the top 10 in B/P Points. Outstanding!", but that's not actually true. In reality, I have been in the top 10 for a long time; what happened now is that I actually moved *down* from #9 to #10 after AfroUnderscoreStud passed me. :)

I assume that the site treats all movement that results in you being in the top 10 as "you entered the top 10", but it really shouldn't - it should also check whether you weren't already there before. :)

On a similar note, how about a "negative" section to complement the achievements? Something along the lines of "You lost a B/P rank today! Blimey!" or so, and similar for other things. "One of your reviews was deleted today! Crap!", or "You forgot to deposit twice since your last login! Rats!"[1], and so on. ^^

1. For this, of course, be careful to handle situations correctly where someone deposits on one day, then logs, and then logs again on the next day before depositing - he didn't miss one, then, even though a day has passed. :)

Það er margt sem myrkrið veit / minn er hugur þungur

Oft ég svarta sandinn leit / svíða grænan engireit

Í jöklinum hljóða dauðadjúpar sprungur

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-14 10:04:49

At 4/14/07 07:32 AM, schneelocke wrote: On a similar note, how about a "negative" section to complement the achievements? Something along the lines of "You lost a B/P rank today! Blimey!" or so, and similar for other things. "One of your reviews was deleted today! Crap!", or "You forgot to deposit twice since your last login! Rats!"[1], and so on. ^^

1. For this, of course, be careful to handle situations correctly where someone deposits on one day, then logs, and then logs again on the next day before depositing - he didn't miss one, then, even though a day has passed. :)

I like this idea too. And maybe a 'comment box' of some form that you can enter the desired stats you want and the date you want them by. It will be saved and accessed on the main screen (if the user activates it). It might also show the needed stat(s) per day to reach that goal.

Example:
You have 1000 B/P points
You want to have 1,500 B/P points by the 19th April (in 5 days)
You will need to get 100 B/P points a day.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-14 18:05:43

A thing that can tell you how many hours on AVERAGE you're on the site.

That could be hard though.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-15 05:55:54

At 4/14/07 06:05 PM, kylexthexpostman wrote: A thing that can tell you how many hours on AVERAGE you're on the site.

How would nglog be supposed to know that?

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-15 11:09:00

How about a generator that gives you a preview of what your stats will be like in a given amount of time?

For example, let’s say I pick “1 month”, the generator would take my current rate of every stat and replicate the results for 30 days in the future. It would show me how many posts I’d have at my current rate, whether or not I’d levelled up and how many B/P points I’d have.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-15 17:32:56

At 4/15/07 05:55 AM, schneelocke wrote:
At 4/14/07 06:05 PM, kylexthexpostman wrote: A thing that can tell you how many hours on AVERAGE you're on the site.
How would nglog be supposed to know that?

Exactly, if you'd have read the whole post, I also said it might be hard to do it.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-16 04:48:53

At 4/15/07 05:32 PM, kylexthexpostman wrote: Exactly, if you'd have read the whole post, I also said it might be hard to do it.

I didn't say it'd be hard to do, I said it would be IMPOSSIBLE. "Hard" implies the opposite of that, namely that it is possible (if difficult).

Maybe you should stop talking about things you don't understand.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-16 05:06:07

Ok, How about arranging the 'users' section in order of logs instead of the way it is now. So that the more dedicated users can find there name and times logged easier. At the moment it takes forever to see how many times I have logged my stats and I have to search through for ages just to find my name.

Or, If that isnt possible how about a little column in your profile that tells you how many times you have logged. Either way is great for me!

Thanks Casualty!

Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-16 12:41:36

At 4/14/07 07:32 AM, schneelocke wrote: I just found another glitch in the site.

I found out why this happens... If you are in the top 100, your current rank will be divided by 10 to see if you moved up in the next 10 ranks. The problem is, I rounded the values with floor(). This way, if you are in the top 10, your rank will be seen as 0 and therefor always less.

I changed it to ceil(), I don't know if it'll work because I am SO lazy today, but it should.

On a similar note, how about a "negative" section to complement the achievements? Something along the lines of "You lost a B/P rank today! Blimey!" or so, and similar for other things. "One of your reviews was deleted today! Crap!", or "You forgot to deposit twice since your last login! Rats!"[1], and so on. ^^

That sounds like an excellent idea! I added it for several stats like your level, VP, ranks and reviews. I don't think others are either possible or needed, but tell me if you think so...

At 4/14/07 07:53 AM, FloppyDiskClock wrote: Having a graph generated from your last logs would be neat!

A long time ago, I did try to make such a feature. It failed miserably. I might try again some time, though.

At 4/14/07 10:04 AM, deslona wrote: I like this idea too. And maybe a 'comment box' of some form that you can enter the desired stats you want and the date you want them by. It will be saved and accessed on the main screen (if the user activates it). It might also show the needed stat(s) per day to reach that goal.

That sounds like a really useless idea to me =P It's like another achievement page, but with more (and another way).

I don't really feel like adding it (especially now, it's warm as fuck and I'm tired) but if more people support this idea, it might become something...

At 4/16/07 04:48 AM, schneelocke wrote:
At 4/15/07 05:32 PM, kylexthexpostman wrote: Exactly, if you'd have read the whole post, I also said it might be hard to do it.
I didn't say it'd be hard to do, I said it would be IMPOSSIBLE. "Hard" implies the opposite of that, namely that it is possible (if difficult).

Maybe you should stop talking about things you don't understand.

It would actually be possible, but extremely stupid and straining. It would require a script to check the Newgrounds BBS page, analyze the data in some idiot way, and log the only users.

Then, every time you request the page, it would need to browse trough tons of data to find out on which hours you were online. Plus, the data would be extremely inaccurate for several reasons.

This makes it so stupid and hard it could be considered IMPOSSIBLE. And I asked for EASY ideas >:(

At 4/16/07 05:06 AM, Sterockicy wrote: Or, If that isnt possible how about a little column in your profile that tells you how many times you have logged. Either way is great for me!

I picked the second option ;)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-16 13:49:07

At 4/16/07 12:41 PM, Casualty wrote: I found out why this happens... If you are in the top 100, your current rank will be divided by 10 to see if you moved up in the next 10 ranks. The problem is, I rounded the values with floor(). This way, if you are in the top 10, your rank will be seen as 0 and therefor always less.

I changed it to ceil(), I don't know if it'll work because I am SO lazy today, but it should.

Hmm. I'm not sure I see how that would help, to be honest; the problem is that nglog thought I had moved up (to a better rank, that is) when in reality, I had moved down.

Using ceil still sounds right, but I'm still not sure whether there mustn't be some other glitch, too; after all, if you have something like this:

if(floor(oldrank / 10) > floor(newrank / 10)) { print "Hurray!" }

then you'd get the message at the wrong point (i.e., when moving from e.g. 10 to 9 instead of 11 to 10), but it still should work correctly when you move into the "wrong" direction.

Ah well - without seeing the code, I'm just taking wild guesses, of course. :)

That sounds like an excellent idea! I added it for several stats like your level, VP, ranks and reviews. I don't think others are either possible or needed, but tell me if you think so...

Cool! ^_^ Might also be worth adding whistle levels for this, but that's about all I can think of right now.

It would actually be possible, but extremely stupid and straining. It would require a script to check the Newgrounds BBS page, analyze the data in some idiot way, and log the only users.

Then, every time you request the page, it would need to browse trough tons of data to find out on which hours you were online. Plus, the data would be extremely inaccurate for several reasons.

This makes it so stupid and hard it could be considered IMPOSSIBLE. And I asked for EASY ideas >:(

Hmm, you mean the list of logged-in users on the BBS pages? I always thought that only counted users browsing the BBS, not users currently active on NG in general...

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-04-16 14:47:46

At 4/16/07 01:49 PM, schneelocke wrote: Ah well - without seeing the code, I'm just taking wild guesses, of course. :)

Actually, the code you wrote is quite accurate =P

Seriously, I just found out what the problem was... and it's a pretty stupid one, too!

Without all the floor and other stuff, the code is (was):

if(rankNow > rankBefore){ print "Ahoy!" }

The glitch is extremely obvious and idiot: the condition is that the current rank must be greater than the current one, which is not what we want! We want to go UP in the rankings XD

I just fixed that, I don't know why I made that error...

Cool! ^_^ Might also be worth adding whistle levels for this, but that's about all I can think of right now.

Good idea, though it requires me to write out all the whistle levels on the script. As I am a lazy bastard, I will do this a bit later =P

Hmm, you mean the list of logged-in users on the BBS pages? I always thought that only counted users browsing the BBS, not users currently active on NG in general...

It does say "Users on line"...

BBS Signature