00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MovementalStudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Log Ideas

124,626 Views | 1,418 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-08-26 07:02:15

Ahwell, it would have been nice but probably isn't worth the effort.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-26 12:24:20

Hey, nice graph in the formerly empty Help-Box :) .
Now I can see at one glance how I am doing in B/P.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-26 12:32:39

Heh. It's been awhile since this was updated.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-26 15:45:09

Oh yeah, I forgot to post this. I thought of a neat idea while I was in the shower one night. I thought it would be cool to have a stat that would show the percentage of total possible B/P points you've acquired out of everything ever submitted to the portal. So now it would be somewhere around 30000/400000 for me or about 7.5%

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-27 05:43:45

At 9/26/07 03:45 PM, milinko959 wrote: Oh yeah, I forgot to post this. I thought of a neat idea while I was in the shower one night. I thought it would be cool to have a stat that would show the percentage of total possible B/P points you've acquired out of everything ever submitted to the portal. So now it would be somewhere around 30000/400000 for me or about 7.5%

I have to say, that I find this rather useless. If you are really interested in it, you can always calculate it yourself (like you did).

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-27 08:10:36

At 9/26/07 12:24 PM, Haggard wrote: Hey, nice graph in the formerly empty Help-Box :) .

I wish I could choose some other stat for that box, not that I log that often anyway.

I was using teh site to do some estimates, but only I can estimate people vp :)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-27 11:11:53

At 9/27/07 08:10 AM, ramagi wrote:
At 9/26/07 12:24 PM, Haggard wrote: Hey, nice graph in the formerly empty Help-Box :) .
I wish I could choose some other stat for that box, not that I log that often anyway.

Yeah, hopefully there will be some other stats, soon. Like posts, or Blams without Saves and Saves without Blams, etc.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-27 11:17:05

At 9/27/07 05:43 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 9/26/07 03:45 PM, milinko959 wrote: Oh yeah, I forgot to post this. I thought of a neat idea while I was in the shower one night. I thought it would be cool to have a stat that would show the percentage of total possible B/P points you've acquired out of everything ever submitted to the portal. So now it would be somewhere around 30000/400000 for me or about 7.5%
I have to say, that I find this rather useless. If you are really interested in it, you can always calculate it yourself (like you did).

The entire site is useless, and it would be cool to see how much of a percentage you have gained/lost daily without having to calculate it and keep track of it yourself. I support this extremely useless idea.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-27 12:59:50

At 9/27/07 05:43 AM, Haggard wrote:

The entire site is useless, and it would be cool to see how much of a percentage you have gained/lost daily without having to calculate it and keep track of it yourself. I support this extremely useless idea.

If it is calculated on a daily basis, then I can see the fun in it. But not if it is just calculated for all flash ever submitted. Because then the percentage would just go down and down (you can't get any points for flashes that already passed judgement, can you?).
But as I said: If it is calculated on a daily basis (as in: "You Blammed 50% of the flashes submitted today!"), then it can be quite funny ;) .

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-09-27 18:19:08

It wouldn't necessarily go down every day. It would go up if you got more than that percentage for the day.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-01 00:15:59

A personal highscore chart. (Most reviews written in a day, most posts made in a day, etc.)

I understand it might (well, will) be a little messy for people who don't log everyday, but it'd still be interesting.

Perhaps check if they logged the previous day, and if they didn't just don't count that log towards the list.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-01 04:49:43

if it gave us emails every say i dunno 3 weeks for a progress report or something like that
i dont get on very often so it would be good if that happens

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-01 04:53:37

At 9/27/07 11:17 AM, Darkside7000 wrote:

in response too this maybe a calculator for all this if its not already done so
hey darkside

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-01 11:26:13

Not a bad idea, but this stat would reach around 0.05% for most of the people on NG Log (like it does for me, and I have like 19,000 B/P). I think the strain it puts (both on the NG Log server and the NG server) is too big for what it is.

I encourage people to tell me stuff like this though, because it wasn't a bad idea at all, stat-wise.

At 9/27/07 08:10 AM, ramagi wrote: I wish I could choose some other stat for that box, not that I log that often anyway.

I was using teh site to do some estimates, but only I can estimate people vp :)

As it's now stated in the box, more types of graphs will be added. When I find time and courage =/

At 9/27/07 11:17 AM, Darkside7000 wrote: The entire site is useless, and it would be cool to see how much of a percentage you have gained/lost daily without having to calculate it and keep track of it yourself. I support this extremely useless idea.

See first answer in this post. I, however, support likely but less straining and maybe a little more useful ideas.

At 9/27/07 12:59 PM, Haggard wrote: If it is calculated on a daily basis, then I can see the fun in it. But not if it is just calculated for all flash ever submitted. Because then the percentage would just go down and down (you can't get any points for flashes that already passed judgement, can you?).
But as I said: If it is calculated on a daily basis (as in: "You Blammed 50% of the flashes submitted today!"), then it can be quite funny ;) .

That's not really a bad idea, but the problems are similar to the ones for the other idea. I need to pull the number of Flashes submitted from NG. I could do it with a Cronjob, but I'd have to ask Denvish, and it's still a really useless idea =P

At 10/1/07 12:15 AM, Darkside7000 wrote: A personal highscore chart. (Most reviews written in a day, most posts made in a day, etc.)

A really good idea in my opinion... I will see what I can do, and this might even work out well, but I'm afraid it will be hard to get the right values because of... Certain stuff. It's hard to explain, but I'll just try and see.

I understand it might (well, will) be a little messy for people who don't log everyday, but it'd still be interesting.

Perhaps check if they logged the previous day, and if they didn't just don't count that log towards the list.

Obviously I'll have to keep that in mind while making it =[ *Sigh*, even more work. I'm getting really tired of working on this site =P

At 10/1/07 04:49 AM, dooseyboy wrote: if it gave us emails every say i dunno 3 weeks for a progress report or something like that
i dont get on very often so it would be good if that happens

Progress report? About what? You already get daily progress reports on the site itself =P You get the award for the most useless idea ever though.

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-01 11:37:18

Obviously I'll have to keep that in mind while making it =[ *Sigh*, even more work. I'm getting really tired of working on this site =P

How about this, lets say you make 300 posts over 3 days without logging, when you do log you could just divide it by the amount of days and count the average as 1 day. Again, won't be entirely accurate but it's better than not counting those days at all.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-01 12:25:55

Whoops! After further investigation, I realized this idea is also technically impossible =[

I would have to calculate every difference between every log the user has made. Which means over 100 operations per stat, for most users. This means about 700 subtractions every time (if there are 7 stats to count. I din't think of that yet, but let's say there's 7. I decide here, what're you gonna do, eh?). After that, they still need to be ordered. And ordering stats isn't a fun thing to do for the server, believe me :P

So yeah, no high score charts until someone finds a better system than the one I just explained. Sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-01 12:37:43

At 10/1/07 11:26 AM, Casualty wrote: As it's now stated in the box, more types of graphs will be added. When I find time and courage =/

But you could at least delete the sentence: "(A graph for the levels similar to the B/P one will be added later)" because that graph is already added ;)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-18 23:23:12

On the front page, where it says 'last 5 logs', it would be pretty cool if there was another column; as to say there achievements for that log, much like, and limited to, the message that comes up on your stat page when you lvl up etc.

Also, fix the uotd. The b/p titles are normally wrong :P

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-30 08:00:25

At 10/18/07 11:23 PM, Officer wrote: On the front page, where it says 'last 5 logs', it would be pretty cool if there was another column; as to say there achievements for that log, much like, and limited to, the message that comes up on your stat page when you lvl up etc.

A very good idea, though technically hard to realize... The problem is, the script for 'discovering' new achievements is a long one and it will significantly increase the load time of the Front Page, which is of course something nobody wants...

I'm sorry, it was an awesome idea though :(

Also, fix the uotd. The b/p titles are normally wrong :P

Lol, I didn't even know. Fixed (maybe)...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-30 18:40:23

NG Log NEEDS tank_sm.gif as a favicon ;)

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-31 09:13:36

At 10/30/07 06:40 PM, Haggard wrote: NG Log NEEDS tank_sm.gif as a favicon ;)

Hahaha, when they changed the NG one, I decided that NG Log would always keep the regular tank logo... So no, but maybe in a 100 years :P

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-31 09:20:22

At 10/31/07 09:13 AM, Casualty wrote: Hahaha, when they changed the NG one, I decided that NG Log would always keep the regular tank logo... So no, but maybe in a 100 years :P

Too bad... :/

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-31 12:47:08

NG Log should have another easter egg.
Has anyone else found the easter egg?

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-31 13:18:04

At 10/31/07 12:47 PM, Sir-Nuts wrote: NG Log should have another easter egg.

Ooh yeah. We want easter eggs. Yummy.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-31 13:21:02

No I havn't found easter egg??!! Where!!??

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-31 14:50:34

At 10/31/07 01:21 PM, NintendoMadness wrote:
No I havn't found easter egg??!! Where!!??

I won't tell you, but I'll give you a clue.
You have to active something before clicking it.

Hard, isn't it?

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-10-31 15:24:49

At 10/31/07 02:50 PM, Sir-Nuts wrote: I won't tell you, but I'll give you a clue.
You have to active something before clicking it.
Hard, isn't it?

Yes it is hard. Since I only found out about this website today!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-11-01 08:02:59

There's 2,
I've found both.

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-11-01 08:51:18

At 11/1/07 08:02 AM, Alfie wrote: There's 2,
I've found both.

Are you sure there are 2? ;)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-11-01 09:06:37