00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dakale just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Slamdance Update

21,905 Views | 122 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-20 12:36:20

castle crashers looks awesome! can't wait for it!

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the early worm gets eaten first.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-20 18:20:41

that was such a lame move on Slamdance's part.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-20 18:28:00

Dang! I whas hoping to see some sweet material there.

I feel like typing today...

BBS Signature

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-20 20:31:55

At 1/20/07 12:41 AM, FatherTime89 wrote:
Erm... have you played "Pico's School"? You really should. Best Flash 3 game ever.

It may have been the first game based on the Culombine massacre. I dunno.

Yeah, forgot about that :\, thing is, there was more controversy over the jacket that the assasin wore on the assasin page than the pico game

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-20 20:32:59

Who said update? Nobody said update? What update? Site update? What's that? I never said anything about updating the site. No no no, I never even said it was late either. Ok, you know that one thing that was supposed to be done a LONG time ago, something that was like a site update? Something about updating the site layout, I could have sworn you said update!

Also, late.

skittles

BBS Signature

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-20 21:21:05

if every one was fat there would be no fat people

try blending youre cat

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-20 21:24:04

Indeed

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-21 03:40:14

At 1/18/07 04:22 PM, MadCow wrote: Anyways, Tom, could you elaborate on the whole contriversy thing? I didn't really understand what it was from what I read on the site you linked... Is it something about censoring games, or not allowing violent games to be submitted or something?

From what I heard, several people are walking out of Slamdance.

From what I understand: You guys are against a competition that withdrew a game about the Columbine Massacre? Wtf is wrong with you retards? That's the most fucked up shit I've ever heard. I'm actually familiar with that game, but that doesn't make it right.

Censorship is complete bullshit. I can care less if you're trying to "shield" children or sensitive people, but it should never come at the cost of free speech.

Slamdance was probably trying to NOT get a lot of negativity by taking that game out of the competition. You know, since it would offend the 98.6% of people that aren't sick, internet freaks.

Censorship should be at the will of the individual.

BBS Signature

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-21 04:09:29

to bad tom

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-21 05:58:12

Please don't let this become like the redesign.

Lies make baby Jesus cry, bitch.

BBS Signature

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-21 13:59:20

Groovy.

Piiiimp Mobile!

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-21 22:13:22

to bad about all the controversey such a shame Tom . ah well there's always other festivals.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-21 22:19:56

SCMRPG is awsome

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-21 22:50:05

i agree

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 00:55:09

Oh bloody hell.

From what I've seen of SCMRPG is that it's not suppose to be fun.

It's suppose to get you into the mind of two fucked up little killers. It makes you feel revolted at the actions they took. It scares you that there are people who think that way.

Its just that suddenly because it's in an interactive media, it's suppose to be fun, or non-political? Hell no.

It was never made to glorify the two fuckers. It shows their mindset, and their actions, as being completely insane.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 07:12:15

I'm sorry to see you guys pull out but after reading the information behind the whole mess I completely understand why you did. I'm glad that some people are willing to stand up for their principles. I just wish the rest of the developers would grow a pair and do the same thing. It's too bad too cause your game was by far the best there as far as im concerned. Keep up the good work guys.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 13:22:42

At 1/22/07 12:55 AM, Foxieboy wrote: Oh bloody hell.

It's suppose to get you into the mind of two fucked up little killers. It makes you feel revolted at the actions they took. It scares you that there are people who think that way.

Its just that suddenly because it's in an interactive media, it's suppose to be fun, or non-political? Hell no.

so they can allow several films on the subject.. but not a single game? games are only allowed to have limited subject matter? NO.

you have not played the game. how can you make statements of what the game is about? that's like jack thompson saying that bully is a columbine simulator without ever seeing more than a few screenshots.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 13:53:37

I havent seen any of the movies made about the subject, but it all depends on what angle and what "glorification" is made with it. If the game would "glorify" being those two kids, then its kindof... a sensitive subject definitley. Honestly, even if you are controlling a "mindless schoolkid with a mission to kill" it´s controversial, and in most peoples opinon slightly wrong, i would guess.
But that´s exactly what the deal is with ceveral shooters out there...

Many years ago, watching an action movie that, with today standards would be concidered weak and un-raw, was "giving kids bad ideas and influences etc etc etc".
A few years back, the violent videogames were to blame, especially since they were so realistic and so on. The very same videogames that today are graphically inferior to what you see on the VGshelfs. Of course, technology have leaped in a sick way last 20 years, but still.

My point is, that there are some products that the world may not be "ready" for yet. I personally think that "if this goes, everything goes", but the fact that if the "world isn´t ready" will mean that it might be a financial (and moral:) threat to the ones who back it up. In a few years, im sure we all will play the game(or some similiar game), laugh and think that it´s so innocent, just like SMB, or MegaMan is today :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 14:14:19

Aww,man.,that bites!(even if im not too interested)

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 14:17:48

I understand how Tom feels. I mean what if it was Pico's School, instead of Super Columbine Massacre which got pulled? Anyway, if a game where Christians can send everyone else to hell can be sold in Wal Mart, I don 't see why a Columbine game is unacceptable. Hell, some developers tried to cash in by making an Iraq war simulation, and for some reason, that's not considered exploitive, either.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 14:19:49

At 1/22/07 01:53 PM, Rucklo wrote: I havent seen any of the movies made about the subject, but it all depends on what angle and what "glorification" is made with it.

http://www.sundancechannel.com/film/?ixFilmID =5898&PHPSESSID=1271c0413b6ccdf82237f9d6df993 5b3

same festival, 4 years prior

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 16:04:18

hmm that kinda looked like doublemorale... :/

well time changes... i dont know the true reasons for the game being pulled... but like i said, i personally think it´s a sad thing that it happened.

Like Tom mentioned earlier, this website have taken alot of beating due to flashes being uploaded, but no flashes were removed because they were too violent, or whatever (legal reasons are of course not the same)

Wakka wakka

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 19:15:32

aww that suckz but wat ever just keep looking on to future not past but wat ever

one more thing wen is the game coming out

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-22 22:49:56

I heard slamdance is badass

I feel like typing today...

BBS Signature

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-23 00:38:05

Tom, I would just like to take a minute to congratulate you and your Behemoth cohorts on your decision to withdraw your game from Slamdance. I'm sure it was a difficult decision because it hurts the exposure for Castle Crashers and will probably result in less copies being purchased. I respect you guys and all the other developers who withdrew their games. It takes a lot of courage to do something like this, especially when most of the entrants are probably already struggling to make ends meet.

Good luck with showing your game at other festivals. I can't wait to play it when it's done.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-23 01:52:36

Oh Well

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-23 16:25:42

I respect you choice of not going all the drama would not have helped in anyway for Castle Crashers guess will have to wait for Comic-Con and GDC.

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-23 23:40:53

i cant help but think of SPACE JAM when i see "slamdance"

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-23 23:46:14

At 1/23/07 11:40 PM, Starberry wrote: i cant help but think of SPACE JAM when i see "slamdance"

Everybody get up.
Its time to slam now.
We got a real thing going down.
Welcome to the Space Jam.

Come on and slam.
If you wanna jam!

Response to Slamdance Update 2007-01-24 00:32:56

At 1/22/07 01:22 PM, DanPaladin wrote:
At 1/22/07 12:55 AM, Foxieboy wrote: Oh bloody hell.

so they can allow several films on the subject.. but not a single game? games are only allowed to have limited subject matter? NO.

you have not played the game. how can you make statements of what the game is about? that's like jack thompson saying that bully is a columbine simulator without ever seeing more than a few screenshots.

I'm supporting the game. What are you talking about? I'm saying that it should be in there because it's a piece of art. I don't think it was MENT to be fun, just showing the player what these two little fuckers were thinking