00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Thread: Wips & Discussion

47,540 Views | 606 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 10:54:34

At 11/30/06 04:26 PM, MindChamber wrote: you crank out those models fairly quickly.

They are low-poly models and those shouldn`t take more than few hours...

what program do you use.

3dsmax...NO, its all 2d, I made it in flash and then I detailed it in fireworks :D

At 12/2/06 10:05 AM, deadspread83 wrote: Have a nice day!

I bet it hurts, to be so talented... :)

At 12/2/06 08:58 AM, MindChamber wrote: Poxy... man..... No...... Go redo those colors.

Says the man, who colored P-bot :P

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 12:03:58

Howdo
I visit this site all the time but i'm not really a forum goer. Still I wanted to enter this contest. So I made a sketch. The final will have much more detail and color.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 12:06:54

Powerpox= amazing heck most of them kick ass :o

"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 12:17:34

yes...i basically lied my balls of..i did do something, but i still dont liek how it came out >_>

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 12:19:40

Holy fucking shit pox.
I'd suck your cock if you were here, that fucking kicks ass.

How did you colour that and how long did it take?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 12:24:32

..there was an error with my first post

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 14:18:09

At 12/2/06 08:58 AM, MindChamber wrote: Poxy... man..... No...... Go redo those colors.

I disagree. Pox's piece has some nice texture and has a real "hand colored" feel to it. I know we all favor the tight cell-shaded look with strong contrast around here, but it's pretty obvious that pox has the talent to go in many directions, and his submission is a clearly intentional departure from the norm and I think it's pulled off pretty well.

It was a pleasantly un-expected completion of his WIP stuff at least.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 15:33:58

At 12/2/06 02:18 PM, BoMToons wrote: It was a pleasantly un-expected completion of his WIP stuff at least.

Nah, I think it should of just been coloured normally. Looks like a picture of some Nickelodeon star or something, and should be coloured in the same way.

I've been trying to keep my head out of this thread abit because it just seems more bitching, less commenting. So this is what I was gunna enter, but have decided not to since it's not related and the 'Little girl/Fit lady' parallel apparently wasn't meant to be made :(

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 16:17:22

...mace rattle... mattle?

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 16:17:38

At 12/2/06 12:19 PM, Insanical wrote:
How did you colour that and how long did it take?

Ok well I'll tell you guys.

I printed my lineart on vellum paper, using my printer at home.
Dimensions are 7x8 inches.

Then what you need is this:

1- A windsor newton Sable hair brush, the best quality you can find ( maybe it will cost you 10-12 bucks for a tiny brush, but it lasts for decades and ends up being about 100 times cheaper than buying markers )

2- A small pot of white acrylic-based ink. Its just white, opaque to semi-opaque ink

3-A small pot of india/china ink ( I used speedball ). As long as its waterproof

4- A pot of blue, red and yellow TRANSPARENT inks ( transparent means it will stain the white areas of the paper, but not the black lines.

5- an area to mix your colors ( I used the top of a plastic tupperware thing )

Then you just dilute your colors with water and mix then together to get the colors you want. I generaly start with less opaque colors and go from there.

Then use the white acrylic paint mixed with other paints to get highlights and special effects that go above all other paint.

And for the little splatters on both corners, U dipped my brush in white ink, placed a piece of paper to hide some areas of my drawing, and just flicked the brush really fast with the edge of a piece of paper to get little droplets.

Took about 3 hours. I had time to watch Back to the Future 2 and The Incredibles while I did this :p

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 16:39:45

At 12/2/06 04:17 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: ...mace rattle... mattle?

Renae your awesome :*. I like the style of it and the huge um...mattle

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 17:42:41

At 12/2/06 02:18 PM, BoMToons wrote:
I disagree. Pox's piece has some nice texture and has a real "hand colored" feel to it. I know we all favor the tight cell-shaded look with strong contrast around here, but it's pretty obvious that pox has the talent to go in many directions, and his submission is a clearly intentional departure from the norm and I think it's pulled off pretty well.

It was a pleasantly un-expected completion of his WIP stuff at least.

Thats nice for you,

personally I feels unfinished, and looks like it was colored with crayons.

I can see what style hes going for, and it couldve been done better with more vibrant colors and shadows while maintaining the style..

but hey what do I know. :p

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 18:12:16

My entry…

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 18:53:57

At 12/2/06 05:42 PM, MindChamber wrote:
I can see what style hes going for, and it couldve been done better with more vibrant colors and shadows while maintaining the style..

haha I thought you were kidding at first :P
I personnaly like it. This is like the 3rd or 4th thing I ever colored using those inks, so I'd say its decent. Its a little low on the contrast, but I did do it on a pretty small piece of paper, so maybe you have to look at it from a distance.

I was going to finish coloring my computer version anyways, I'll put it in the contest thread when I'm done to show the difference. Computer colors give you a lot more control and color variety, but its so tedious and boring to do sometimes : (

here's my drawing again, smaller and with a higher, eye-exploding contrast, see what that does for ya

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 19:09:38

At 12/2/06 06:53 PM, poxpower wrote:
At 12/2/06 05:42 PM, MindChamber wrote:
here's my drawing again, smaller and with a higher, eye-exploding contrast, see what that does for ya

looks cooler..

but you do see where Im comin from right? theres an awfull lot of white in that pic.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 19:24:14

At 12/2/06 07:09 PM, MindChamber wrote:
but you do see where Im comin from right? theres an awfull lot of white in that pic.

Well the contrast change removed a lot of the more sublte effects :p
I didn't use oil colors, so I couldn't really get some super-amazing deep colors, and I didn't want to touch it up with photoshop, I just wanted to show what it looked like.

There's a couple little things I would still work on, but I'm pretty happy with it overall, it was fun. And I'm giving it away for some school thing too.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 19:26:51

Cheddar79's Hulk picture is pretty cool, but his upper half is too tall, or his legs are too short. I'd suggest shrinking the midsection a little bit.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 19:29:06

Thought I'd show some preliminary sketches etc...

I basically take a photo of each sketch (don't have a scanner so I use a digital camera) and transfer it into flash. Then using light references (on the girl) from a small art model and various comic book references I managed to fill in the characters.

The girl was difficult as I had to work smaller and I had the hands crossed over her lap but when she sat on the Hulk's shoulders the two characters didn't respond together. I changed it up so she's now a little more friendly with him.

When I first sketched out the Hulk I was gonna wuss out and give up on doing the feet but in all honesty whenever you see the Hulk he's always best seen in full just to get a sense of scale etc. So after much frustration I managed to draw in the feet and there ya have it!

Personally I'm glad I'm using a tablet but I give a lot of respect to anyone drawing with a mouse...had to do it for years and it takes some skill to master.

Cheers Ched79

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 19:37:04

Here's the linework,

- No she is not biting the arrow, I made an error in judgement,
and I don't know WHAT is going on with her right foot, any suggestions on what to do with it?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 19:39:08

Awesome stuff Chedar, nice to see how you do it and the progress!

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 19:39:49

At 12/2/06 07:37 PM, drums-tech wrote: Here's the linework,

- No she is not biting the arrow, I made an error in judgement,
and I don't know WHAT is going on with her right foot, any suggestions on what to do with it?

The right foot(her right) seems stretched out and too skinny around the ankle.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 21:37:57

Trend I'm seeing in this contest: I hope this wins because I spent 1939049023409238095 hours on it!

always behind schedule.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 21:58:00

WIP :\

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 22:46:12

At 12/2/06 10:42 PM, 33333333333333333333 wrote: this is my world.... and i hate nigers, and im fat, i can park my car in my vagin-a..

Hahahaha oh that made me laugh. Silly redneck.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 22:52:28

At 12/2/06 07:39 PM, PaperBagMask wrote: The right foot(her right) seems stretched out and too skinny around the ankle.

Thanks for that, I think this looks better now.
Still got a bit of work to do on the bow...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 23:28:28

At 12/2/06 10:52 PM, drums-tech wrote: Still got a bit of work to do on the bow...

You need to put a flight on the arrow. The flight would actually be just infront of the fingers because proper arrows have a slight extension behind the flight to hold onto. I dont know if you had already planned to do that or not but that's how it should be.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 23:33:00

At 12/2/06 11:28 PM, TheHappySheep wrote:
You need to put a flight on the arrow. The flight would actually be just infront of the fingers because proper arrows have a slight extension behind the flight to hold onto. I dont know if you had already planned to do that or not but that's how it should be.

It's supposed to be a magic arrow, I have to go over the flames in flash and then i was going to edit it in photoshop, adding glow to the arrow and runes to the bow.
But maybe even magic arrows need flights. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 23:40:56

My second entry WIP. My first one didnt turn out how I wanted it an dit looked a bit retarted.
Any tips and critsism appreciated. I also dont know what weapon shell have ( I just made this and didnt know what I was doing). Excuse the nakedness of this picture. I couldnt help doing the nipples.

Lol

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 23:41:57

Forgot pic

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-03 00:44:54

Daaaamn.. Chromius, fucking sick pic.