00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment)

1,504 Views | 29 Replies

Do you think the outlook of the general (your own country/city/ect) public towards the environment will change radically in 50-100 years?

Simply write a number between (and including) 1 and 7.

1 = Nothing will change
2 - 3 = A minority will change their opinion, yet not enough to make a difference.
4 = Environmental Opinion will be mixed, with close to equal opinions eitherway.
5 - 6 = Environmental concern will tip the balance in the future among the people, yet its effect on those in power may not be enough.
7 = Great change will come within this century on global outlook.

First name, gender, and age is decent information, yet none is required.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 17:56:30

At 11/15/06 05:44 PM, NoNameProphet wrote: Do you think the outlook of the general (your own country/city/ect) public towards the environment will change radically in 50-100 years?

1 = Nothing will change
2 - 3 = A minority will change their opinion, yet not enough to make a difference.
4 = Environmental Opinion will be mixed, with close to equal opinions eitherway.
5 - 6 = Environmental concern will tip the balance in the future among the people, yet its effect on those in power may not be enough.

May I inquire as to your assignment? Are you a researcher for a University or what?

I'm saying 7.

First name: Sean

I would suggest you add location, income, and education level in your survey as well, for more "completeness", unless that's not required......

Writing Forum Reviewer.

PM me for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.

See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 17:57:38

At 11/15/06 05:44 PM, NoNameProphet wrote: 7 = Great change will come within this century on global outlook.

The time span you gave (50-100 years) is pretty long, and considering the situation we're in, change is going to be required.

Zeke/m/22/"what are you wearing?"

The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 18:12:41

50-100 years is a long time, but I don't plan on planning my life with this survey. The goal is to monitor optimism/pessimism in the human population. Age and gender helps see if anyone is more effected, yet that is more of an extra rather than what I am mainly concerned with.

Just a part of university geopolitical research.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 18:46:25

At 11/15/06 06:12 PM, NoNameProphet wrote: The goal is to monitor optimism/pessimism in the human population.

Then it isn't the best idea to inquire about global warming, as it depends much more on a person's grasp of scientific models than it does about optimism or pessimism. Global warming is projected to have a very significant effect on the global climate within a couple of decades, and there will be, at some point, sufficient public outcry as to warrant a change in policies if the trend continues. Of course, it is possible that the global economy will ease itself off of oil consumption as the prices skyrocket, halting global warming, more or less, in its tracks. It all depends on what you believe is the most likely outcome based on concrete fact; there is only a very tenuous correlation between that and optimism or pessimism.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 18:49:45

Well it's not the only question I'm asking, and this isn't the only place I'm asking also :P.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 18:51:28

There's the underlying issue of overpopulation giving enough strain to develop global concern. The hidden question is how this strain will effect the world.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 18:55:24

triple post.

I don't want to ask about that issue directly. Being too specific ends with me putting words in peoples' mouths. I cannot say there is an issue or it ignores blind optimism, which I need to measure.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 19:07:37

Oh. And I did not ask about global warming specifically. It's a simple and general question this time.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 19:56:22

Not much change on the horizon. Hippies will turn violent.

Juan, 17, Male.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 20:11:53

At 11/15/06 05:44 PM, NoNameProphet wrote:

If by environment you mean global warming:

For my area: 2
Name: Tony (Although this is a very weak & useless variable)

We're concerned about keeping a clean environment but where I'm from we're more conservationists rather than environmentalists. For 20 years I've personally been hearing about how "10 years from now this catastrophe will happen"; yet it never does. Personally, I veiw Environmentalism as science's version of millenial revelationist prophecy...(ie: it always seems like the end is coming).

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...

" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 20:49:24

6 = Environmental concern will tip the balance in the future among the people, yet its effect on those in power may not be enough.

Im going with 6

male
canada

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 20:53:30

4-5 not much will change. male,20

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-15 20:56:31

At 11/15/06 05:44 PM, NoNameProphet wrote: Do you think the outlook of the general (your own country/city/ect) public towards the environment will change radically in 50-100 years?

1 = Nothing will change

Eric (first name)
look at my profile for the other shit

ill give it a 4= Environmental Opinion will be mixed, with close to equal opinions eitherway.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-16 17:19:02

In 50-100 years? I'd say 7, sive environmental concern is on the rise.

Juan, Male, 16.

The outstanding faults of the economic society in which we live are its failure to provide for full employment and its arbitrary and inequitable distribution of wealth -- JMK

BBS Signature

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-16 18:08:10

Well, th ething is at the moment the main people who aren't doing enough in my country (England) to combat global warming is the government.

Ultimately within 50-100 years there will tremendous change in everyones opinions (so 7) this is due to the fact that if we do not act quickly we will soon reach the cut-off point where regardless of what we do the Earth will be doomed (about 2025).

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-16 18:11:45

At 11/15/06 05:44 PM, NoNameProphet wrote: 1 = Nothing will change

People are selfish and lazy. They think "It's unlikely anything bad will happen when i'm around, so i don't give a shit". I can't see too many more people actually caring about the environment.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-16 20:34:02

1 = Nothing will change

Even though global warming is a tad overblown i believe itl change alot. Basically what will happen will be that fuel prices will be so high that cleaner more efficient vehicles will be developed thus cause our outlook on the environment to change.

Touched by his noodly appendage.

"A witty quote proves nothing" - Voltaire

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-16 20:38:22

I'm optimist!

First name: Santiago
Genre: Male

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-16 20:45:40

At 11/16/06 08:38 PM, Pyromaniac-1 wrote: First name: Santiago

If you had been Chilean instead of Argentinian, your name would've been funny.

The outstanding faults of the economic society in which we live are its failure to provide for full employment and its arbitrary and inequitable distribution of wealth -- JMK

BBS Signature

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-16 21:02:15

At 11/16/06 08:45 PM, Der-Lowe wrote:
At 11/16/06 08:38 PM, Pyromaniac-1 wrote: First name: Santiago
If you had been Chilean instead of Argentinian, your name would've been funny.

LOL!
Busted!

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-16 23:22:12

Society, as a whole, is stupid. Therefore it will be a 6.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-17 00:48:16

What I hope will happen: 7
What I know will happen: 2

First Name: Matt

Despite the growing concerns about the environment, the depletion of fossil fuels, a global warming, deforestation, little preventative action has been taken thusfar. This has been heavily encouraged by the US's non involvement in essential treaties, such as Kyoto. Without the support of the world's lone superpower, all attempts to save the environment will, unfortunately, fail miserably.

I hate to make this a bipartisan matter, as this will only invite skepticism and scorn from opposing parties, when what should be happening is ACTION. However, it should be duly noted that a Republican in the white house refused to sign Kyoto in 1990. If a Democrat had been in office at the time, it would be likely that the US would have adopted Kyoto without question, and we would be making positive strides toward fixing the environment.

At this point, the only hope our environment has, quite simply, is when Kyoto ends in 2012, a Democrat is in the white house to facilitate the development of a new ALL INCLUSIVE treaty, that we could actually reduce emissions around the world, and not look like hypocrites doing it. If these conditions are not met, I fear that the US will trade the environment in exchange for Big Business Cash, and in 50 years, we'll be in a much worse state than we are now.

BBS Signature

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-17 00:49:55

At 11/16/06 11:22 PM, Techware wrote: Society, as a whole, is stupid. Therefore it will be a 6.

Wait a minute. You WANT the environment to go down the shitter? Who's the "stupid" one, again?

BBS Signature

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-17 13:53:11

At 11/17/06 12:48 AM, Talcum wrote: ... However, it should be duly noted that a Republican in the white house refused to sign Kyoto in 1990. If a Democrat had been in office at the time, it would be likely that the US would have adopted Kyoto without question, and we would be making positive strides toward fixing the environment.

At this point, the only hope our environment has, quite simply, is when Kyoto ends in 2012, a Democrat is in the white house to facilitate the development of a new ALL INCLUSIVE treaty, that we could actually reduce emissions around the world, and not look like hypocrites doing it. If these conditions are not met, I fear that the US will trade the environment in exchange for Big Business Cash, and in 50 years, we'll be in a much worse state than we are now.

Talcum, the Dems will have to do more than win the White House in 2008, they'll have to significantly expand their lead in the Senate as well. A President can sign a treaty, but until it is ratified in the Senate it carries no force of law. Furthermore, it will transcend partisan lines because Dems in the South or heavy manufacturing states will not vote for it; but Repubs in blue states would vote to ratify such a treaty.

BBS Signature

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-17 14:00:34

At 11/17/06 12:49 AM, Talcum wrote:
At 11/16/06 11:22 PM, Techware wrote: Society, as a whole, is stupid. Therefore it will be a 6.
Wait a minute. You WANT the environment to go down the shitter? Who's the "stupid" one, again?

Like I said in my post; not everyone believes that claims of the environmentalists. I've been listening to claims that "in the next decade X castastrophe will happen!" for TWO decades. During this time the original estimates of the 1970s environmentalists regarding things such as rising sea levels has proven to be overexagerated by 300%. Excuse me if I do not get all henny penny and run around yelling: "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!" I bought into all of that when I was 14, and now I feel like a fool for giving up my capacity for reason to other people.

But does this mean I want the environment to go down "the shitter"? Not at all, I'm a conservationist. There is something about being in nature that centers a person, and I want to preserve that. But that does not mean I have to believe in global warming and the apocalyptic rantings of the end times nutbags of the scientific community.

BBS Signature

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-17 20:29:17

7. It'll have to be. Even if we're already buggered by then, people will have certainly changed their opinion. If we aren't, well, we're goin' to have had to have changed a lot already by then.

Adam, 19, Male.

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-17 20:35:04

At 11/17/06 12:49 AM, Talcum wrote:

Because every year it's the same thing... "OMG, this horrible disaster will happen within our lifetime". And yet... nothing has happend... ever.

Who's the Stupid one again?

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-17 21:05:20

hmmm... i'll say 4 and hope for 6 or more.

name: justin

Response to Poll: 1 Quick Question (assignment) 2006-11-19 03:42:30

Male/23/Sydney, Australia....
I'm gonna say a 5 around here.....

The Revolution!!!! Search with blackle

BBS Signature