00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Would you like to be a mod?

100,092 Views | 1,605 Replies

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-01-24 10:40:57

I did a couple of searches to see whether or not I'd posted in this thread in the past. It doesn't seem to be the case, so I thought, why not? It might be good for a laugh or something; since I do have an idea of what the opinions of this thread are as of 2010!

Firstly, the two sorts of mod I'd be interested in being in order of preference:
1 - Forum mod.
2 - Review mod.

I've been a regular on the forums some time now. While I don't think I've ever been a 'perfect user' so to speak, I know what the rules are and I know how to behave myself, put simply. While there's no concrete definition for so-called 'maturity' on Newgrounds, I slim it down awareness: knowing when it's best to make a certain comment and how to respond to others appropriately. It sounds so needlessly stuffy, but put another way, I just know how to use the forums, and I'd like to help out. Additionally, I come to the BBS for fun like anyone else (should), but I've also spent a bit of time getting some opinions out there and trying to make the BBS an even better place to spend time using. Some of what I say may not be deemed helpful, but I tried, and I'm honest. Resulting from this is what seems to be the occasional 'whiny' complaint in my posts: they're not strictly intended - and they don't mean I'd never work with someone I expressed a criticism of. In fact, I'd probably enjoy the experience.

A more specific reason for why I make myself openly available to help out on the forums now is the steadily expanding literature sub-community here on NG. If a literature forum is created, I'd love to get involved and help fellow young amateur writers (which has to be about, what, 95% of the writing community at this time?) develop themselves and create decent material that can be showcased here or elsewhere. I'd be lying if I said I didn't already have some ideas, seriously. What this confession doesn't mean though is that it's my only interest: having regular'd General, Wi/Ht, Politics and lurked in Video Games in the past, I like to think I'm something of a BBS multi-tasker.

As for why I'd like to be a review mod - I like to write reviews. I'm often the first to admit that review-writing helps me as much as it helps the author, but I understand the basic principles of the idea as far as NG is concerned. Again, I'm probably not the greatest reviewer on the website, but I know the difference between a 'good review' and a 'bad review'. If going through the piles of bad reviews helps people sharpen their words and help each other, then it's something I'd like to get involved with. In the past, I've reviewed submissions for the MWCs with a slant on progressive improvement on both the writer's part and my part, and reviewing films and literature is generally a part of what I do in real life.

Times active: from the morning to the late evening GMT, most if not all days. Overall, I spend a great deal of time on the site, not all my Internet time, but a considerable amount of it as of right now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-01-25 18:28:21

I would want to be an audio mod, just to make the process quicker for other artists.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-01-25 18:34:45

At 1/24/10 10:40 AM, Scarab wrote:

I vote for Scarab for mod so we will end up actually reading the content of his character limit bans!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

yea...

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 13:34:43

Definitely an Audio Mod! :D

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 13:34:57

I just want the power.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 13:42:53

I would really love to be a review mod. It's my dream modship. I would okay with being a forum, audio, or even art mod, but I would LOVE being a review mod. I rarely write reviews, due to the fact that I never really feel like my reviews are long enough and descriptive enough, but I seem to be fairly good at finding abusive reviews. I've found 5-10 abusive reviews in 10 minutes that were all successfully removed, and I hate abusive reviews, which is why I try to find them and get them removed.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 13:43:48

Forum Mod, because im on the forum most of the day.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 13:48:11

At 11/9/10 01:42 PM, Jolly wrote: I would really love to be a review mod. It's my dream modship. I would okay with being a forum, audio, or even art mod, but I would LOVE being a review mod. I rarely write reviews, due to the fact that I never really feel like my reviews are long enough and descriptive enough, but I seem to be fairly good at finding abusive reviews. I've found 5-10 abusive reviews in 10 minutes that were all successfully removed, and I hate abusive reviews, which is why I try to find them and get them removed.

Too add to this, I'm basically on Newgrounds all day. I'm home schooled, so I have a lot of free time, and I spent a lot of my day finding abusive reviews already, although I wouldn't have to do so if I were a review mod, obviously.

I think I would make a good review mod because I would say I'm really knowledgeable about the reviewing rules and I know what is/isn't abusive and I love helping remove abusive reviews.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 13:50:23

Well, I know this an old thread, but why not?

I wouldn't mind being a moderator, if I was saw fit. I know I'm not the most well known user, nor am I the most qualified. I know I don't have a high level, post count, nor do I have the best flashes. I'm just your average Newgrounds user. I'm perfectly fine with being nothing.

However, I am online much of the day from weekdays Mondays and Wednesdays (6 PM Central to about 4 AM Central) and on Tuesdays and Thursdays (1 PM Central to 4 PM Central and then 10 PM Central to 4 AM Central) and on Fridays (4 PM to 4 AM Central). Saturdays and Sundays are a bit more random, but keep the similar format. As you can see I have a lot of time to waste and spend it on Newgrounds. Sigh, I should be getting more of a life.

I would most like the position of a Forum Mod, especailly since my time has me on at night (in America) where the spammers come in and spam General with nasty images and stupidity. Plus, I would see how I could help the newbies (the seem to listen to those with a shiny gold aura), keep out spam and stop the feeding of trolls. I would never accept it for simple power, I had it on another site and it's not the greatest thing in the world. I would simply take it to help out a site fully deserving any help I could give - Newgrounds.

I, however, know full-well I would never get it, and I respect that decision. But, as Wade said, it's fun to put in your name - even though you won't get it.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 13:53:55

At 11/9/10 01:50 PM, Narcissy wrote: I, however, know full-well I would never get it, and I respect that decision. But, as Wade said, it's fun to put in your name - even though you won't get it.

I nominate Narcissy for mod.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 14:05:19

At 11/9/10 01:53 PM, AcidicTurtle wrote:
At 11/9/10 01:50 PM, Narcissy wrote: I, however, know full-well I would never get it, and I respect that decision. But, as Wade said, it's fun to put in your name - even though you won't get it.
I nominate Narcissy for mod.

I would have voted for Esshole, but he disappeared and Narcissy stole his sig...

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 14:22:48

Is this thread still relevant? There are so many posts, and it's been four years since it was posted, so I'd think that it would have been deleted to save some space.

I do tend to have a laid-back personality, but I stomp on it when somebody starts going out of their way to be an asshole. I will tolerate a certain amount of heated or unnecessary rudeness, because otherwise there's no freedom of expression. I've experienced mods who used someone's clowning as an excuse to ban them, so I know that some rowdyness is the essence of a good time for some people, and abuse of power is an awful thing.

I'll take the job of forum mod if SOMEBODY CAN HEAR ME BURIED UNDER ALL THESE OTHER POSTS! I'm open from 2-6 pm American Central time.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 14:24:30

Yep, I'd want to be a forum mod these days.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 14:48:44

I think I would really benefit the site by being an icon moderator. I've recently decided to start helping people make their icons for the redesign. I recently finished Raitendo's, and I'm waiting for his response. I always want to make it clear that if there are any icons that aren't to the recipients' satisfaction, I'll get started on a new one ASAP. I'm not 100% sure how to make icons the clearest and best quality they can be yet, but I'm always open to learning new ways from those that are more experienced than I am. I'm usually online every day from 3 p.m.-8 p.m., except on weekends, which is, more often than not, a good portion of the day, which is about 12 a.m.-8 p.m. I hope that the next time you are in need of an icon moderator, you consider me!

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 15:07:22

I Would like to be a Review mod, I Usually spend 7 hours on newgrounds evry day, I'v always wanted to be a moderator - beacouse I never have any thing to do on newgrounds (It would be cool banding bad reviews ), so yeah..., Hope I get chosen!

Holly crap, Check my page out!

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 15:10:10

At 11/9/10 03:04 PM, Chronamut wrote: Until the audio mods get more powers I have no desire to be an audio mod.

I would have thought you would want to be an audio mod?
Well that and forum, but since you love music etc so much thought it would be your thing to become one.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 15:22:15

rofl this thread is a half decade old

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 15:57:08

At 11/9/10 03:19 PM, Chronamut wrote: I'll stick with visual stuff. And use my remainnig tiem to make audio ;)

Ah ok, does sound like you have to put up with to much shit to be worth it.

we all know you just arent as cool as Rig!

Well since posting may as well...I think I did one ages ago cant remember. So anyway.

I would be up for Forum moderation, I spend time on it and when it comes down to it can be serious and be strict on broken rules, moderating has always been an interest to me when I did it elsewhere.

Then again I also love posting with little care for the 'lesser' rules sometimes and enjoy a good spam thread, sure I can avoid doing these things but I'm likely not the best user to pick, but on the other hand I'm available.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 16:18:56

It would either be a forum mod or an audio mod.

Unlike a lot of people, I have a brain and know how to judge people and their views and opinions correctly. I don't simply ban someone because I don't like them, like I try to find a moment to get away from it. I reason with them, but if they're doing it for kicks, I deal with them more severely - a ban. I'm kind, but not too kind.

When it comes to audio, I know what's music and what's not. My horizons are very large, however.I accept the more avant-garde stuff. But don't get me wrong - I know what's avant-garde or just plain shit.
Compare Revolution #9 by the Beatles to speedcore. Which is just a load of mish-mash shit?

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 16:22:30

Don't know if I've ever posted in this.. Too lazy to check all the pages.
Being a mod would be nice, I've been a moderator on a few forums before however nothing as popular as Newgrounds, and I am also an admin on a website called Graveside Studios.
If any sort of moderator I'd have to say I'd make a better forum moderator, since I spend most of my time on the forums.

A few people have actually told me I should be a mod, I kind of disagree, because they say I would let people off too easily.
Go figure.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 16:22:49

Neither, because this is a trap to sort out those who want to gain all this pwoer and go on a banning spree to screw people over, and those who just wnat the job for the lulz.

YOU CANT FOOL ME, I WONT GIVE IN TO YOUR RUSE.

NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 17:36:56

i would like to be an art mod or a sound mod but definitely not a forum mod too much stress for me.

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 17:47:42

I want haz mod! I make good mod cuz I will ban everyone who curses or looks at me the wrong way.
P.S. Ill do annyytthing to be a mod *wink wink*

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-09 17:56:05

At 11/9/10 03:19 PM, Chronamut wrote: I believe to truly help as an audio mod you need to have the ability to flag existing submissions -and then those submisisons get sent to an admin to delete - I don't believe audio mods should ever have the power to delete submissions personally because I feel that that will lead to power-hungry monsters destroying entire users.

Sounds like something you would do ;-) Honestly though; if that would be the case, selecting people to be an audio moderator should just be done even more carefully as it is now.

They perhaps also need the power to unban users, in rare cases that the user was banned in error. Of course this isn't too important as the user can just create another account.

I think that's good as it is, if it's really proven to be in error, an admin can always do something about it.

In short, audio mod is a lot of effort for little gain - and the expense of your hearing - as "bad" songs usually mean horribly mastered and a lot of noise.

Since all moderators do their stuff on a voluntary basis, I don't think 'gain' is appropriate here. I personally am glad I can give something back to NG, being my 'services', after NG has basically changed my life.
Also, that's why you keep your volume nice and low when modding. :p

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-10 12:37:33

Despite the age of this thread, I'll give you my 2 cents about being a review mod anyway. I've seen so many reviews that break the rules and after flagging them, I know that it will take a while since a number of review mods are busy with jobs and whatnot. I'd like to moderate to help the site get rid of shit reviews that break the rules and don't score high. I mean I have a good amount of spare time, so I'd actually be putting it to good use instead of sitting in Stickam and lurking the BBS waiting to post in another shitty thread. I would like to help the site I've come to know and love over the three years I have been here.

Cents given.

gorp

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-27 21:28:49

I'd like to eventually work my way up to be a BBS Moderator.

I've been a community member since '06, but have been browsing the site since '04.
I have, what I consider to be, very good grammar.

I like to think that I have good judgment and posting skills, although my earlier posts may not convey it.

I help moderate the Wiki and flash genres.

Long way to go, but I'm working on it.

The kind of old they just don't make anymore!

[Had your submission unpublished? Click here!]

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-27 22:17:19

I might make a good BBS (#1) as this is where I spend most of my time anyways) or audio (#2) mod. at the least I know I could be an icon mod (#3) and give back that way.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-27 22:20:00

I would love to be a review mod because I right GOOD reviews all the time and I only get my whistle points by targeting abusive reviews. So just maybe, I could.

Need a Review? Go to Review Request Club

Also please look at my art!

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-27 22:24:41

audio mod as i would love to help people get started after thier fist submission

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2010-11-27 22:24:46

Haha, wow this is old and dead.

Anyway, it wouldn't mind becoming any sort of mod.

On average I am on here probably 2 - 5 hours of the day, but am starting to cut back because of my sports and school.

I am alright with Icons (icon mod), I now know what not and what to do on the forums as for I have read the rules, or a flash portal mod. I vote every single day to get experience points and read reviews for the sake, if I see any inappropriate ones, I will flag.

But yeh, if I get this opportunity my daily average will come back up again.

I am also in Australia, and when I sometimes come on, no mods what-so-ever are ever on.

Do you need $10 000 in cash for a 30 second animation? Click here