Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-13 12:09:18 Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNdxapYh_E4

Pokemon gotten a bit darker lately.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-14 10:04:12 Reply

Animes I have finished in the past two weeks:

Deadman Wonderland - Will have to read the manga so I can see what happens after the end of the anime

Clockwork Planet - Wonderful theme but I feel the story and human x automation / robot story was rather unneeded or just poorly done. It also ends on a sequel hook of sorts but I do not think they ever intend to do a season 2.

Konosuba - Hilarious, wonderful anime, I shall also have to read the manga of this anime too

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou - One of the very few animes to bring me to tears more than one time during the overall story, beautifully written and well worth watching to the end.

School-Live! - Horror, amazing story about high schoolers after the start of a zombie apocalypse, kind of sucks they never did a season 2 as the manga provided enough source material to have it end on a second season rather than one season.

On that note, what was the first anime you all ever finished watching? For me it was Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt from years ago. Was sad it never got a season two (someone did take the time to do a fan based sequel over on tumblr, the graphics style is very close to the original albeit with some changes) due to in-house studio issues.

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-14 10:23:50 Reply

At 7/14/17 10:04 AM, NekoMika wrote: On that note, what was the first anime you all ever finished watching?

I think it may have been Death Note. I watched that, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Baccano and a few others all around the same time when I first got into anime, and only started trying out new releases much later.

Actually I guess Yugioh would've been my first since I watched it religiously as a kid all the way through the original series and GX. I missed the boat on other huge shonen series like Dragon Ball and Naruto, and I don't think there's much point in trying them now.

Evangelion is still by far the best show, anime or not, that I've ever seen.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-14 19:23:05 Reply

At 7/14/17 10:04 AM, NekoMika wrote:

On that note, what was the first anime you all ever finished watching? For me it was Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt from years ago. Was sad it never got a season two (someone did take the time to do a fan based sequel over on tumblr, the graphics style is very close to the original albeit with some changes) due to in-house studio issues.

I honestly don't know, it may have been Dragonball Z and even then I might have missed few episodes. There were some series I had seen beforehand but never get to finish it since renting tapes in Cantodub isn't an easy thing. There were some series I remember watching but have no idea what those are, like the one where some kid pulls stuff out of his mouth like the way Doraemon pulls things out of his pouch.

Then there are series I did managed to look up on and find out what they were like City Hunter and the certain anime where a train flies into space, it's kind of weird. Then there's Shurato though I would have probably forgotten about it if it weren't for Saint Seiya.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-14 22:23:04 Reply

At 7/14/17 07:23 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: the certain anime where a train flies into space, it's kind of weird.

I haven't seen it, but this is Galaxy Express 999, right? I've seen a lot of high praise for that from older anime fans but being from the 70's and over a hundred episodes makes it a little off-putting. I'll probably watch the two films eventually.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-14 23:19:40 Reply

At 7/14/17 10:23 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 7/14/17 07:23 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: the certain anime where a train flies into space, it's kind of weird.
I haven't seen it, but this is Galaxy Express 999, right? I've seen a lot of high praise for that from older anime fans but being from the 70's and over a hundred episodes makes it a little off-putting. I'll probably watch the two films eventually.

Yeah, I think it was that.

I mean I looked it up and it was the only anime that fits the description and could have come from the right time period my dad rented that tape somewhere in the 1990s. Only other similar anime was I think was a remake, sequel, or a spinoff in 2000s. I kinda remember it being kind of dramatic due to the theme music played when the episode ends.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-16 21:12:29 Reply

If anyone enjoyed that Devil May Cry anime I recommend checking out Netflix's new Castlevania series. The animation is very reminiscent of anime despite not actually being one.

"Everybody deals with grief differently. Some people fuck at funerals. I cut off heads."
Be the change you want to see.
J'ai aime. J'ai souffert. Maintenant je hais.

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-20 23:54:57 Reply

Finished Love Tyrant and Nichijou this week.

Love Tyrant - I feel they could have made it longer and had Shikimi have some self doubt before gleefully wanting to join Guri's harem

Nichijou - 26 episodes, animation from anime to extraordinary. Really sucks it could not be longer. The ending was great though, wraps up everything beautifully for an ending.

Finished Show By Rock last week. Had a pretty good story and amazing soundtrack to it, would not mind a season 3 honestly.

BBS Signature
ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Anime Club 2017-07-22 04:41:06 Reply

I've been watching Bakuon!! again
Hilarious anime about a high school girls in a school motorcycle club. About halfway through

Also I finally watched Spirited Away, although I think it's just alright. I think I liked Howl's Moving Castle or whatever that was called.

#BringBackBeardFulp

YomToxic
YomToxic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Anime Club 2017-08-02 21:40:18 Reply

Looking for more Weapons-Grade Iyashikei (comfy slice of life). Got any recommendations?

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to Anime Club 2017-08-23 23:02:15 Reply

Finally watched the first four seasons of Digimon (Adventure 1 and 2, Tamers, and Frontier).

If I had to choose which ones I enjoyed the most, I really enjoyed the storyline for the second and third seasons, brilliant writing.

BBS Signature
TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-08-25 23:08:10 Reply

Anyone watch Netflix's Death Note movie?

"Everybody deals with grief differently. Some people fuck at funerals. I cut off heads."

BBS Signature
TakashiKumuro
TakashiKumuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-08 15:24:59 Reply

At 8/25/17 11:08 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Anyone watch Netflix's Death Note movie?

going to watch it soooooon :p

I'm working on new stuff! Follow me for updates on music!
GAMING FORUM
FOLLOW
MY AUDIO

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-08 21:22:42 (edited 2017-09-08 21:37:47) Reply

At 8/25/17 11:08 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Anyone watch Netflix's Death Note movie?

Here's a 'review' I typed up if anyone wants to skim it:

Profoundly misses what made the anime and manga compelling, but at least this has gotten people interested in the better versions again. There's a few slivers of potential here, particularly in the dynamic between Light and Mi(s)a, but it's quickly squandered. From the deaths being needlessly over the top and physically impossible, almsot every creative choice here is thoroughly misguided.

This version of Light is a spineless, uncharismatic dipshit and this version of L is a reckless, obnoxious, aggressive and impulsive imbecile who never once demonstrates any wisdom or foresight. We never get the epic '3D chess' battle of wits from the show, it's just two clueless characters bumbling around. Rather than Light being an interesting, unpredictable and morally ambiguous character he's a good-natured dumbass and Misa is pure evil edgelord to balance it, because apparently two ultra-simple characters are better than one nuanced one. For some reason every change they've made is a seemingly purposeful step toward being more generic and stereotypical.

As an example there's a pointless and poorly executed scene where Light gets bullied by an archetypal highschool jock, because surely what one of the most interesting anime characters ever created really needed was to be exactly like every other highschool movie protagonist.

Willem Dafoe's voice is a highlight but Ryuk looks horrible visually (and clearly they knew as they hide him as much as possible), they butchered his character and he's rendered entirely pointless in the story. He has no reason to be there other than because he was in the original.

What could have been interesting, since the death note itself is already such an interesting device, is to just make an entirely alternate story where it drops in the US instead of Japan and has a whole new cast of characters around it. It's an insult to everyone watching to pretend these are the same characters as the anime and manga or that they're even comparable, so why not just use new characters altogether?

The one moment it starts to feel like Death Note is the very end, and even that moment is ridiculously contrived because they've altered the notebook's rules to be overpowered and plot convenient. It feels like they started with the ending and forcefully wrote the rest of the story to build up to it, regardless of how clumsy it got in the process. In the source material Light feels like a genius when he creatively uses the book's rules and limitations to his advantage, but that doesn't work when those rules are nonsensical and so obviously created to fit the exact scenario you've come up with in advance. Exceptionally lazy writing. If this were a theatrical release it would have bombed spectacularly.

Reading back over this I may sound like a fanboy, and I am a fan of the anime for sure, but I went into this with low expectations, simply hoping the new ideas and changes could be an interesting alternative to the other adaptations. I was still left thoroughly disappointed. I don't know if anyone behind this actually understood the strengths of the source material at all.

I also found this video where L's actor is in character for an interview... it's only two minutes but god damn it's so uncomfortable.

BBS Signature
TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-08 23:54:31 Reply

At 9/8/17 09:22 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 8/25/17 11:08 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote:
I also found this video where L's actor is in character for an interview... it's only two minutes but god damn it's so uncomfortable.

It feels like he was trying way too hard to be funny. To be honest I thought he did fine as L right up until the writers decided to let him have a breakdown. I wouldn't have minded that had they have fleshed out the relationship between L and Watari. I mean I get that he was like L's handler/parent, but so much of their relationship was implied leaving his emotional distress as nothing more than a surefire way to anger Death Note fans.

Up until that point he did a pretty good job. I felt like his mannerisms were spot on. The story just never made him believable as a detective because he never actually did anything other than sit around and talk about catching L as opposed to going up against him.

Anyways, I agree with your review. Light was just a dense dork who wasn't so much "intoxicated with his new godlike abilities," but rather just drunk on that pussy. The fact that he wasn't able to see that Misa killed the agents following him just doesn't make any sense.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-11 17:34:23 Reply

Finished marathon the hell out of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 to 4. It was a fun ride and I'm glad that I watched it, with that said...while people really liked Part 3 the most but I actually liked Part 2 somewhat better. Maybe it's just me but the early part of the first half of the adventure of the buff men's crusade against a vampire didn't have the same excitement that would get me want to watch the next episode as much as Battle Tendency.

Maybe because the stand battles felt like watching Beyblade (despite Stardust Crusaders coming out first) and the characters weren't doing the fighting themselves this time. I didn't hate it since I still enjoyed the series but I liked it better once they got to Egypt. Still, Part 2 had Joseph engaging an air battle against Ultimate Kars with piranhas, Nazi Cyborg, volcano, and a blatant deus ex machina, what more do you want? Yeah, I kinda had more fun with Battle Tendency.

As for Part 4, Duwang is beautiful.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-14 15:39:47 Reply

At 9/8/17 11:54 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: It feels like he was trying way too hard to be funny.

I don't think he was going for funny, I got the impression he's attempting a Jared Leto Joker, "wow he's so dedicated to this bonkers character" sort of thing. I assume that made for some decent marketing for Suicide Squad and wouldn't be surprised if someone else behind the film put Keith up to it .

To be honest I thought he did fine as L right up until the writers decided to let him have a breakdown. I felt like his mannerisms were spot on.

Man I don't agree at all, I hated his portrayal the whole way through, everything from his voice to small things like spilling his M&Ms just felt totally wrong for L. Him going nuts at the end was just the nail in the coffin.

If we're talking positives about the film though, the slow-mo intro with Australian Crawl playing was beautiful, it felt like an edgy, melancholic take on John Hughes or something. and the visuals were really nice at several points, the part where L and Light meet would make a great wallpaper even if everything about the scene sucked.

The 80's inspired soundtrack was pretty good in its own right but another backward choice overall considering how distinctive the original's soundtrack is. With Death Note I imagine "thinking music" with faint horror and religious influence, not retro synth.

I'd have called that an interesting change but apparently all of Wingard's films have very similar soundtracks so he was just using his default style rather than thinking about what would suit best.

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-15 05:07:44 Reply

Seems Adam Wingard - the creator of the American Death Note live adaption deleted his twitter account after receiving a large amount of backlash and death threats for his version of Death Note which a lot of people expressing disgust and hatred for the way he redid the characters.

@TheQuietGamer @Jackho Thoughts?

Link in regards to the account deletion.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 38
Writer
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-15 10:43:16 Reply

At 9/15/17 05:07 AM, NekoMika wrote: Seems Adam Wingard - the creator of the American Death Note live adaption deleted his twitter account after receiving a large amount of backlash and death threats for his version of Death Note which a lot of people expressing disgust and hatred for the way he redid the characters.

I know I wasn't tagged here, but care if I join in?

Yes, I thought it was a terrible rendition of the series that I loved to watch so much, but I can't imagine in any shape or form how it can be acceptable to threaten someone over something so trivial. It's crazy. I can be seeing upset, but hardly anything in this world is bad enough to react in such a manner.

I wish they would have made it a series. You simply can't force the plot and complexity of the series into a single movie, two movies, or maybe even three movies. If they tried again with the same characters and did a live action series with multiple episodes I think it would have been highly successful. I don't even care if they took it in a different direction.

Click on my signature to check out my Youtube Channel. The Dom and Fro Show!
Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-15 13:41:29 (edited 2017-09-15 13:43:00) Reply

At 9/15/17 05:07 AM, NekoMika wrote: Seems Adam Wingard - the creator of the American Death Note live adaption deleted his twitter account after receiving a large amount of backlash and death threats for his version of Death Note which a lot of people expressing disgust and hatred for the way he redid the characters.

Ridiculous. As much as I dislike the adaptation Wingard was just doing his job, there's no excuse for going after these people personally even if it;s just through social media.

Besides that, Adam Wingard's fault in this is minimal. This project sat in development hell for ages and the final film fits Wingard's style, so blame whoever was responsible for hiring him and thinking his style would fit. Wingard didn't write it either, it was Jeremy Slater whose resume includes such classics as Fant4stic and has literally never written a good movie yet. The whole production was a series of terrible decisions, to blame any single person (let alone harassing them over it) is short-sighted at best.

At 9/15/17 10:43 AM, Fro wrote: I wish they would have made it a series. You simply can't force the plot and complexity of the series into a single movie, two movies, or maybe even three movies.

I don't agree, I can say with confidence that a one-off Death Note movie could be done (because it already has) and one of the good ideas here was that they (to and extent) gave us a new story to fit the film format rather than strictly following the show. None of this film's issues arose because of the film format or that they couldn't fit enough stuff in... just that the stuff in there wasn't good.

There's already a japanese live action Death Note from 2006, I'm not a big fan of it personally but it's pretty well-received and successful, and the anime was also re-cut into a 2-hour TV movie which is pretty well received as well.

Here's links to every Death Note movie on imdb for comparison

Death Note (2006)
Death Note 2: The Last Name
Death Note: L Change the World (spinoff)
Death Note Rewrite: Visions of a God (anime)
Death Note Rewrite 2: L's Successors (anime)
Death Note: Light Up the New World
Death Note (2017)

The first live action film was actually released a couple months before the anime started airing.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 38
Writer
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-15 15:50:04 Reply

At 9/15/17 01:41 PM, Jackho wrote:
Here's links to every Death Note movie on imdb for comparison

I think you helped me find some entertainment for awhile.

Click on my signature to check out my Youtube Channel. The Dom and Fro Show!
Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-15 17:18:35 Reply

I think the people who did that are stupid and wrong. Yeah, it was a bad movie. As an adaptation it was outright abysmal. However, harassing the director and sending him death threats is uncalled for, ignorant, and just completely nonsensical. The world would be probably be better off if Kira got ahold of their names.

BBS Signature
TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-16 23:30:08 (edited 2017-09-16 23:32:14) Reply

I've started watching Naruto again on Netflix from the beginning. I'm a little shocked by how bad a lot of the dialog is. The characters say some dorky stuff. Yet, the depth is still there. I'm really noticing just how poignant it is as a coming of age tale and why it resonated with me so much as a kid. These characters are dealing with insecurities, growing up, and trying to find their place in life. Even after all these years and in it's early episodes it still has the power to strike a chord with teens. It makes up for all the other stuff that hasn't aged well like the animation and those ridiculous lines.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-23 00:34:45 Reply

At 9/16/17 11:30 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: I've started watching Naruto again on Netflix from the beginning.

If you enjoy watching Naruto, go for it. Are you going to check out the sequel?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-24 22:55:11 Reply

At 9/23/17 12:34 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 9/16/17 11:30 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: I've started watching Naruto again on Netflix from the beginning.
If you enjoy watching Naruto, go for it. Are you going to check out the sequel?

I plan to.

BBS Signature
TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2017-09-24 22:56:31 Reply

So the first two episodes of Neo Yokio are pretty great. Kind of got a Space Dandy tone to them that I love.

BBS Signature